Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,648
    Forum Member
    Broadcast now reports that black mirror returned with an audience of 1.49 million which was 8 per cent audience share. But it had a lead in from big fat gypsy of 4.09 million. Black mirror was down on its debut audience of 1. 9 million in the previous series but up on the 1.2 million who watched the second episode. Around 0.88 watched the final episode so it again beat this figure last night.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Grammy Awards topped the US ratings on Sunday night with 28.37 million watching on CBS.
    Source: Neilsen
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Broadcast now reports that black mirror returned with an audience of 1.49 million which was 8 per cent audience share. But it had a lead in from big fat gypsy of 4.09 million. Black mirror was down on its debut audience of 1. 9 million in the previous series but up on the 1.2 million who watched the second episode. Around 0.88 watched the final episode so it again beat this figure last night.

Black Mirror seems to be more of a cult programme. I don't watch it myself but I don't think a mass audience would 'get' it. It got a second series based on artistic license.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    Black Mirror seems to be more of a cult programme. I don't watch it myself but I don't think a mass audience would 'get' it. It got a second series based on artistic license.

I agree it very channel four and jay hunt

I read today she rejected call the midwife while at bbc one. I thought she had commissioned it and cohen was lucky enough to inherit it from her but apparently he greenlit a series not her. Broadcastnow reports that the demographics for black mirror are strong for a young youthful audience last night so again should please hunt and channel four with its performance and who its attracting.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    dave01 wrote: »
    20:30 - DOI Skate off - 5.1m (17.3%)
    * +1 196k
    20:00 - Top Gear - 5.14m (17.7%)
    20:00 - Call the Midwife - 8.77m (30.2%)

Does anyone have the actual live ratings for these shows (ie with pre-2am timeshifting removed)? Think it would make interesting stats.

The system I use doesn't give live figures until a week later than the overnights, i.e. next Monday for the shows on Sunday just gone.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Many shows are doing better than before and different shows are pulling in the ratings with the exception of The Dumping Ground being at the top of the week or even month.
    Whilst some individual shows may have seen some uplift (although The Dumping Ground probably would have preformed well regardless) the CBBC channel itself is down year-on-year.
    Well, the BBC1 programmes were down to virtually nothing when they came to an end.
    Still it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to have expected some minor uplift for CBBC itself. Of course with the CBBC block ending maybe parents have just taken control of the television after school...
    The Chase - 3346 + 279
    Pointless - 3483

I don't get the (relatively speaking) up and down figures for these two.

Are some Chasers more fun to watch than others?
    Is Pointless better on some days than others?
    Is it not just a consequence of the slot? When people are in and not doing anything tends to dictate when they can watch. Does it not follow any kind of pattern across the week/month?
    I agree it very channel four and jay hunt
    I suppose something on Channel 4 has to be 'very Channel 4'.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,391
    Forum Member
    Any ratings for My Mad Fat Diary on E4? Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it was 5.9 which isn't brill with a Corrie lead in. I think viewers are taping and watching in one sitting. It's impossible to watch highbrow quality stuff like this a week apart, and that's not great for a channel that exists to let viewers watch adverts.

I have mentioned before though that for many years the serial split up into hour-long weekly parts was a standard form of television - Cracker stories were, until the end of it as a regular series, shown in three hour-long parts a week apart, and so was Taggart for many years. It only becoming individual stories in the mid-nineties, usually it was two- and three-parters.

Of course, those programmes were written and produced in that form, rather than being a two hour programme cut in half.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Any ratings for My Mad Fat Diary on E4? Thanks in advance :)

Channel 4 Sales reports 526k including +1.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mentioned before though that for many years the serial split up into hour-long weekly parts was a standard form of television - Cracker stories were, until the end of it as a regular series, shown in three hour-long parts a week apart, and so was Taggart for many years. It only becoming individual stories in the mid-nineties, usually it was two- and three-parters.

Of course, those programmes were written and produced in that form, rather than being a two hour programme cut in half.

....and the hour episodes were longer with only two breaks.

Two hour Morse episodes were 104m in four parts, we now get 88m of Lewis in eight parts over two weeks!!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was getting lower ratings before it changed to this new format, so not sure how you an say it was a huge mistake to chop it up. I think you and I both know that nowadays 5.9m (or 6.3m depending which camp your in) is an excellent rating for ITV. The channel achieves far less than that for the vast majority of the week, with or without a Corrie lead-in.

I'm quite sure that ITV will be happy with Lewis' performance this series.

But it had gone up chiefly because they threw it to the wolves last year against The Apprentice.

And this year, rather than maximising Lewis audience and the numbers actually viewing the ads, they have used it as a weapon with the sole purpose of denting the ratings for MBB and Miranda. Neither of which is taking away ad revenue because the BBC does not carry adverts.

So out of pettiness in stopping BBC1 getting super stellar ratings, they will damage the audience for their bigger shows' ad breaks just to spite BBC1.

It's all rather silly, and counter productive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think part of the problem is that we're so used to dumbed down telly now that our brains have turned to mush, and we're all distracted by smartphones and Twitter and posting on DS, that we have the concentration spans of gnats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Whilst some individual shows may have seen some uplift (although The Dumping Ground probably would have preformed well regardless) the CBBC channel itself is down year-on-year.

Still it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to have expected some minor uplift for CBBC itself. Of course with the CBBC block ending maybe parents have just taken control of the television after school...

Is it not just a consequence of the slot? When people are in and not doing anything tends to dictate when they can watch. Does it not follow any kind of pattern across the week/month?

I suppose something on Channel 4 has to be 'very Channel 4'.

Yeah I just mean it seems to be very much how jay hunt seems to want a new modern audience as opposed to how channel four was running on big fat gypsy wedding series and big brother before. Black mirror is quite cult like and cutting edge where I think channel four wants to be right now.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On This Morning this week Eamonn and Ruth are presenting (due to half term hols which Phil and Holly always take off). It is starting at 10.25 am instead of 10.30 and both days they have presented it as being a special early start week because it is bank holiday.

Call me cynical but why do I find it more likely that instead of ITV adding a whole 300 seconds as a 'treat' for viewers, I note that Jeremy Kyle USA (not the usual UK version) precedes it and this presumably is 5 minutes shorter due to the extra US ad breaks....:)

I guess 'special longer bank holiday' week sounds better than 'um we had no ads to show so it was this or promos'.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    But it had gone up chiefly because they threw it to the wolves last year against The Apprentice.

And this year, rather than maximising Lewis audience and the numbers actually viewing the ads, they have used it as a weapon with the sole purpose of denting the ratings for MBB and Miranda. Neither of which is taking away ad revenue because the BBC does not carry adverts.

So out of pettiness in stopping BBC1 getting super stellar ratings, they will damage the audience for their bigger shows' ad breaks just to spite BBC1.

With that in mind, when do we think ITV will launch Endeavour? I'm guessing Easter Sunday, with the aim of denting Jonathan Creek.
  • Options
    bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I think part of the problem is that we're so used to dumbed down telly now that our brains have turned to mush, and we're all distracted by smartphones and Twitter and posting on DS, that we have the concentration spans of gnats.
    Who is this "we" of which you speak?

I don't bother with the relentless drivel on Twitter, and never post on DS while watching programmes.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call me cynical but why do I find it more likely that instead of ITV adding a whole 300 seconds as a 'treat' for viewers, I note that Jeremy Kyle USA (not the usual UK version) precedes it and this presumably is 5 minutes shorter due to the extra US ad breaks....:)

JK USA is about 55 minutes long. there's a lot of promos at 0925 so it starts a few minutes late, along with This Morning starting 5 minutes earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Channel 4 Sales reports 526k including +1.

What are the chances of a second series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    With that in mind, when do we think ITV will launch Endeavour? I'm guessing Easter Sunday, with the aim of denting Jonathan Creek.

And how utterly stupid would ITV be to do that.

Wouldn't put it past them though...

I've said already that Creek should be held back till Boxing Day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Keep us waiting another year? Nah, sack that.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On This Morning this week Eamonn and Ruth are presenting (due to half term hols which Phil and Holly always take off). It is starting at 10.25 am instead of 10.30 and both days they have presented it as being a special early start week because it is bank holiday.

I guess 'special longer bank holiday' week sounds better than 'um we had no ads to show so it was this or promos'.

Yeah, I think they're running Kyle's USA show to try and boost that as it doesn't do very well at the weekends at the moment. Also filming on the UK version had to be delayed due to Kyle's cancer treatment so they are probably behind on episodes.
    And how utterly stupid would ITV be to do that.

Wouldn't put it past them though...

I've said already that Creek should be held back till Boxing Day.

The last episode of Creek came off second best in an Easter Sunday clash with an ITV 2 hour crime drama so they may want to do that again.

With Easter Sunday on March 31st I suspect Creek will find itself against Foyle's War though as apparently that's starting in March once Dancing on Ice and Mr Selfridge are done.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since when did ITV airing drama on Mondays at 9pm indicate some kind of aggressive scheduling ploy? It's exactly what anyone would expect them to be doing. If anything is out of character then it is surely BBC1 airing comedy in that hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »

That is particularly down to the fact we haven't seen any 800k+ audiences which Tracy Beaker Returns got for its third series opener last January. Also, many new shows last January began with 400-500k - that's probably the reason.

Blue Peter is still doing terribly though. The BBC aren't even making an effort to promote it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    What are the chances of a second series?

I'm guessing it depends on the demos.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worrying news for Sky Atlantic. One of the only genuine hits the channel seems to have, The Following, is starting to enter some shaky ground in the US. It dropped half a point in the demo this week after dropping nearly half a point the week before.

Episode #1 - 3.1
    Episode #2 - 3.3
    Episode #3 - 2.9
    Episode #4 - 2.4

Well at least they'll still have Game of Thrones.
    Yeah I just mean it seems to be very much how jay hunt seems to want a new modern audience as opposed to how channel four was running on big fat gypsy wedding series and big brother before. Black mirror is quite cult like and cutting edge where I think channel four wants to be right now.
    I know what you meant (and I agree to some extent). My post was more a comment on the general lack of 'Channel 4 content' on Channel 4 in recent years.
    That is particularly down to the fact we haven't seen any 800k+ audiences which Tracy Beaker Returns got for its third series opener last January. Also, many new shows last January began with 400-500k - that's probably the reason.

Blue Peter is still doing terribly though. The BBC aren't even making an effort to promote it.
    Which is lovely but given that there's no longer a CBBC block on BBC1 you'd expect the CBBC channel to pick-up some extra viewers along the way. I know the children's block wasn't exactly pulling in viewers but its hard to look at how the CBBC channel has actually been performing and say they've seen much upshot to ending the block on BBC1.
This discussion has been closed.