Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KathySpark wrote: »
    He says that he shouted out to the intuders to get out of his house on his way to the bathroom.

Apologies, yes he does:
    Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps. I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

Which makes it more confusing she didn't hear him, when he had heard noises from the bathroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    Had he locked the bedroom door after getting his gun, sorry to be slow but I don't understand why the bedroom door was locked? Does anyone know?

We only know what he submitted to the court..which was the bedroom door was locked.
  • Options
    KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    Apologies, yes he does:
    Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps. I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

Which makes it more confusing she didn't hear him, when he had heard noises from the bathroom.

But did she realise that he thought the intruder was in the toilet. If she assumed that the intruder was somewhere else in the house she might have decided to stay quiet where she thought she was safe. She might even have assumed that OP knew she was in the toilet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But did she realise that he thought the intruder was in the toilet. If she assumed that the intruder was somewhere else in the house she might have decided to stay quiet where she thought she was safe. She might even have assumed that OP knew she was in the toilet.

Yes all of this is possible.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    Had he locked the bedroom door after getting his gun, sorry to be slow but I don't understand why the bedroom door was locked? Does anyone know?

Sounds as though it was locked for security to prevent intruders getting in. It must have been locked from the inside, ie by Pistorius himself, so I don't understand why he says he felt "trapped". He must have had a key in the room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds as though it was locked for security to prevent intruders getting in. It must have been locked from the inside, ie by Pistorius himself, so I don't understand why he says he felt "trapped". He must have had a key in the room.

Quite. And it has been said by quite a few on this forum, why didnt he take the safer option of waking Reeva and going out of the danger area downstairs? Instead of going into Rambo mode.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    There certainly is a Gerona in Spain, I had taken it that there must be a place with the same name in Italy.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/last-oscar-pistorius-interview-before-1723955

I believe the reason he said that he didn't own a house in Italy was because the mayor 'gave it to him'.
    It's wrong, it's Gemona.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member

Sounds like they're already totting up how much he can make from selling his story. What c***s.

But that's the reality of modern life. A story from someone famous is money. We want to know etc.
  • Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for answering. So did he unlock it in order to go to the bathroom with his gun.
    I would have thought he'd feel safer with the door locked rather than vulnerable :confused:
    Also I still can't get my head around why he didn't attempt to speak to Reeva while still in the bedroom
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    It's wrong, it's Gemona.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's wrong, it's Gemona.

Yes.

"@SupportRossi46: @OscarPistorius Do you like Italy?:)" love it!! Been living in Gemona for 2 years now!
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member

The part of his story I struggle with is that he wanted to protect Reeva, he was scared but he put his life in danger to go to the bathroom where he didn't know what was waiting for him. Yet he doesn't wake her or tell her to hide, or tell her to get downstairs? He leaves her asleep as far as he's aware ( she didn't respond to him telling her to call the police, he hadn't heard her go to the toilet, as far as he's concerned she's fast asleep) and puts her in more danger by leaving her in the pitch black while he goes with his gun to the bathroom.

His story would be more believable if he said he'd actually forgotten she was staying, or didn't really believe there really was an intruder until he'd got to the bathroom. Like when he mistook the washing machine for an intruder.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    The only person who knows where Reeva was found is Oscar and he moved her body. So we have his word for where she actually was when he found her and no way of corroborating or disproving it (unless the forensics can somehow elucidate this).

Forensics, ballistics, blood splatter analyis and how the blood had pooled will all show that. The actual person in situ is nice for the Police, but not a deal breaker.

They are used to dealing with scenes where someone has been removed either because of life saving measures or because the body taken elsewhere for one reason or another.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I haven't read the whole thread (has anyone lol) but heres my take of the intruder idea.

I remember sharing a house with family years ago and if someone was down stairs at night moving around you didn't know who it was and wondered who it was but generally came to the conclusion that it was a family member.

I would look for clues such as a bedroom door left open or an empty bed. Also the noise were clues like whether you heard the kettle. Burglary noises would be different and supsicious shufflings.

I don't trust Oscar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to keep banging on about the same issue again, but does noone else find it extremely unlikely Pistorius would not have a panic button by his bed, given that he is disabled, and his obvious concern for security? If so, and he thought there was an intruder, why would he not have pressed that button?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to keep banging on about the same issue again, but does noone else find it extremely unlikely Pistorius would not have a panic button by his bed, given that he is disabled, and his obvious concern for security? If so, and he thought there was an intruder, why would he not have pressed that button?

I would have thought he should have had one, but until the trial we will not know if he did or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought he should have had one, but until the trial we will not know if he did or not.
    I would have thought if he had pressed it it would have been mentioned in the bail hearing given the amount of detail we heard. My point, of course, is that he would have pressed the button if he really thought there was an intruder, but if he shot her in a rage, he would not.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought if he had pressed it it would have been mentioned in the bail hearing given the amount of detail we heard. My point, of course, is that he would have pressed the button if he really thought there was an intruder, but if he shot her in a rage, he would not.

Sounds like he panics quite often though. Like he thought the washing machine was an intruder. He would need to press it all the time
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If I was famous and lived in South Africa I doubt I would trust a panic button to bring me help quicker than shooting my own gun. I doubt I would even if I was not famous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have thought if he did have one the prosecution would have mentioned it and asked why it wasnt pressed.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    I can't comment on what other people mean by that.

Well, you did ask.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/23/pistorius-wants-to-contact-steenkamp-family

Words fail me.

And this is disgusting:

Sounds like they're already totting up how much he can make from selling his story. What c***s.

I don't think you can hold the family responsible for people wanting to speak to them.

Let alone have a go at OP, when almost certainly hasn't spoken to anyone about any such thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread (has anyone lol) but heres my take of the intruder idea.

I remember sharing a house with family years ago and if someone was down stairs at night moving around you didn't know who it was and wondered who it was but generally came to the conclusion that it was a family member.

I would look for clues such as a bedroom door left open or an empty bed. Also the noise were clues like whether you heard the kettle. Burglary noises would be different and supsicious shufflings.

I don't trust Oscar.

I think one of the biggest problems we have in the UK is realising that a home invasion in SA Is a totally different thing to what we think of.

It seems that OP had a real anxiety about them, and armed himself accordingly

The thing is though, when someone has fire power and thinks the thing they fear most is happening its never going to end well..
  • Options
    TaomiTaomi Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read whole thread either so these points will have probably been said already but I don't believe the intruder story because of the following:
      Why wouldn't his first instinct be to wake Reeva in the event of hearing someone in the house?
      Why would he not have realised immediately on shooting that it was Reeva as I would be surprised if she did not shout, scream or cry?
      The locked bathroom door could be because she wanted privacy on going to the toilet, however, I did read that firstly there was a bullet fired in the bedroom and also she had bullet wounds on her arm and hand/finger which led police to believe she had been protecting her head, which in turn leads me to believe she had been shot at first in the bedroom and then ran in there and locked the door to get away from Oscar :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taomi wrote: »
    I haven't read whole thread either so these points will have probably been said already but I don't believe the intruder story because of the following:
      Why wouldn't his first instinct be to wake Reeva in the event of hearing someone in the house?
      Why would he not have realised immediately on shooting that it was Reeva as I would be surprised if she did not shout, scream or cry?
      The locked bathroom door could be because she wanted privacy on going to the toilet, however, I did read that firstly there was a bullet fired in the bedroom and also she had bullet wounds on her arm and hand/finger which led police to believe she had been protecting her head, which in turn leads me to believe she had been shot at first in the bedroom and then ran in there and locked the door to get away from Oscar :(

I dunno - I think if the prosecution had evidence she had been shot anywhere else in the bedroom - and there would be blood trails and such - then it would have come out at the bail hearing and he wouldn't be out on bail.
This discussion has been closed.