Options

Merlin Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    More than likely it will be, though maybe SFX might ask them about it.

If it's mentioned I suspect it will be more along the lines of what they learned while making Merlin and what will they be taking from that into their adaptation of the Atlantis mythology.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Except no-one else but you seems to think Merlin looked angry and dejected.
    And those who aren't blind by comparing Merlin's entry to Camelot and his walk at Glastonbury... Old Merlin's really not a jolly sort is he? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    And those who aren't blind by comparing Merlin's entry to Camelot and his walk at Glastonbury... Old Merlin's really not a jolly sort is he? :D

He's 10 years older and he's buried his best friend and seen others die, I don't think he's expected to be "jolly" no. But he still doesn't look angry and dejected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    The actors personal lives are their personal lives and people wonder why they keep things secret :rolleyes: Saying things like he could do better would insult the girl (wether she is or is not his GF). Who would want to read something like that about someone they care about? This is why actors keep their other halves secret because they are then ridiculed by fans.
    It's fun to joke around, but I could care less who he's with in real life as long as he's happy. Having said that I don't care who she's with or how old she is. I'm mad at that hair style and the same red coat 2 red carpets in a row. :mad:
    /cattyfemale

Yes, I'm one of those horrible women who watch the Oscars to pick apart the fashion... I can't help it. :o

ivyteainn wrote: »
    Hell....any one would look bad if they ate that rabbit diet that he does. You can't build muscle or have a robust look to you eating carrots, makchoy and bananas.

What he needs is 12 ounce steak!
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    Seriously I've tried that route. It's very difficult to get enough protein. Colin complicates things even further for a balanced diet by not using dairy products. When I tried a vegetarian diet, I lost muscle mass and became anemic.

I remember Colin once said that he didn't like ice cream and tried not to use sugar. No meat, no dairy, no sugar ....

That's really not true. I eat a similar if not the same diet as him (no animal products, no dairy) and I'm fit and tone. There are plenty of ways to get enough protein and other nutrients without eating meat.
    Horizon wrote: »
    I really hope that in the run up to Atlantis, JM and JC are grilled by some UK journalists on the ending of Merlin and the way it ended. But I guess by then, it'll be all water under the bridge.
    Atlantis died out, everyone died.. the legend is fascinating because of it. Tragedy, Angst.. . Blah Blah Blahhhhhhhhh

They're not all that creative I suspect it will be Merlin regurgitated. No thanks.
  • Options
    myselfandimyselfandi Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I interpretted it differently. Here's what she said

MORGANA: What a joy it is to see you, Arthur. Look at you, not so tall and mighty now. You may have won the battle, but you've lost the war. You're going to die by Mordred's hand. But don't worry, my dear brother, I won't let you die alone. I will stay and watch over you, [Merlin is behind Morgana. He draws Excalibur quietly.] until the wolves gorge on your carcass and bath in your blood.

http://merlin.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts

So, that means: the Saxons won the war. Now, Arthur will die by Mordred's hand and Arthur's life and kingdom are lost.

No. 1) Morgana and Saxons lost the battle, despite what you implied. and 2) Morgana lost the war and Arthur won it, despite what you implied.

Merlin 5x13 - Arthur/Morgana/Merlin scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8iPMDflqQ

Morgana: Hello Emrys (M tosses Merls aside. Why the eff doesn’t she kill him off first, then leisurely dispatch Arthur? Who knows. Stupid Morgana is stupid.)

Arthur goes for Excalibur but realizes he doesn’t have it and resigns himself to the inevitable. Morgana walks towards him mockingly.

Morgana: What a joy it is to see you, Arthur. Look at you. Not so tall and mighty now. (I can never get over how sadisitic Morgana is towards Arthur. He’s been nothing but kind and gracious to her.) You may have won the battle but you’ve lost the war. *she kneels by Arthur* You’re going to die by Mordred’s hand. *she smiles * Don’t worry dear brother, I won’t let you die alone. *mocking smile * I will stay and watch over you, [Merlin is behind Morgana. He draws Excalibur quietly.] until the wolves gorge on your carcass and bathe in your blood.

Merlin: No. The time for all this bloodshed is over I blame myself for what you’ve become. This has to end.

Morgana: I’m a high priestess no mortal blade can kill me.

He stabs her.

Merlin: This is no mortal blade. Like yours it was forged in a dragon’s breath.

She dies. Crash of thunder.

Merlin: Goodbye Morgana.

Merlin rushes to help Arthur.

Arthur: You’ve brought peace at last.

So yeah, the war is over, there is peace and Gwen and Camelot aren't worrying about the next onslaught. In addition, Kilgarrah said, “When Albion has need of him , Arthur will rise again.” From that we can infer that Albion has been trucking along just fine. Oh okay, Merlin had to intervene with a bit of nasty weather that time the Spanish Armada came around. Even so, if things are that bad, Arthur will be back. And yes, the Terminator stole Arthur's line.
    Now, it's not so ambiguous to me based on the Show's canon.
    Pffft. The Show canon has always been haphazard and inconsistent. Aside from ignoring what Merlin and Arthur were supposed to establish, the end of series 5 also ignored that Morgana was supposed to bring the old ways back to the land. Extrapolate if you want, but it's really wishful fanfic you're writing.
    As established by the Sarrum episode, Gwen realizes that a kingdom without a king will not stand for too long and as she tried to do with the Sarrum, she will begin a policy of appeasement by giving the Saxons and others the lands of Camelot as protection for peace making her play the metaphorical role of the ****, bartering herself and her kingdom for protection, peace, and the continuation of her rule.
    I object to your crappy misogynism towards a woman of color. Please to be picking better nouns and adjectives. Aside from that, I agree that Gwen, like Arthur in episode 4.05, will be tested as a new ruler and it will be even rougher given her non-military background and former servant status.
    The Saxons now have access to a magic neutralizing face hugging slug
    No. That was Morgana, not the Saxons.
    in the long term magic will not be accepted.
    I agree. Kara, Sefa, Ruadan, Morgana, Morgause, Nimueh and countless others have screwed it up for the return of magic. Terrorism is always a bad idea.
    As for Aithusa who flew away.
    Phooey on Aithusa. The show's canon on her was so ridiculously inconsistent. She started out as a symbol of Albion and Merlin & Arthur's destiny. Then in S5, Merlin and Kilgarrah never gave a rap about her and what she was doing.
    ...and the Saxon conquerors.
    What Saxon conquerors? Those Saxons thugs conquered jack.
    Why would they? It's a totally different show and the critics were almost overwhelmingly in favour of the final episodes of Merlin and gave it almost universal praise.

High ratings and a passionate fan base, yeah, 'Merlin' is a success by any standard.
    yafu2 wrote: »
    It's fun to joke around, but I could care less who he's with in real life as long as he's happy. Having said that I don't care who she's with or how old she is. I'm mad at that hair style and the same red coat 2 red carpets in a row. :mad:
    /cattyfemale

Yuck. So she's supposed to have more coats than she needs just to keep the catty females happy? I don't thinks she's Colin's gf and based on some people's attitudes, it's a good thing. I think Colin should stick to boyfriends.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, in other news, Lancelot is going to play Aramis in the BBC's The Musketeers

Yay for floppy hair! :D
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    Well, in other news, Lancelot is going to play Aramis in the BBC's The Musketeers

Oh Smint you beat me to it! I came hot foot to DS with this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/the-musketeers-casting-release.html

Hmm, well, I know certain sections of the Merlin fandom won't be interested, but, personally, knowing Santiago is playing Aramis has certainly awoken my interest in seeing this! :D
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

Well, that should make Violamagic very happy. ;)

Plus the rest of you lot who think Santiago's sexy or something. :confused::p

I hope that Aramis is less of a sap than Lancelot.
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Well, that should make Violamagic very happy. ;)

For someone not at all interested in Santiago, it didn't take you long to comment Natarhi. ;)

I hate to say it, but, remembering back the 30 plus years since I read the book (it's brilliant by the way - I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting an amusing, swashbuckling read) Aramis was the sappiest of the musketeers. I think he has leanings towards the priesthood? I can't quite remember. I can see why Santiago got Aramis, rather than Porthos or Athos, anyway. :o
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    For someone not at all interested in Santiago, it didn't take you long to comment Natarhi. ;)

I hate to say it, but, remembering back the 30 plus years since I read the book (it's brilliant by the way - I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting an amusing, swashbuckling read) Aramis was the sappiest of the musketeers. I think he has leanings towards the priesthood? I can't quite remember. I can see why Santiago got Aramis, rather than Porthos or Athos, anyway. :o

He'l be just perfect then :D:p
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Aramis is the only one to have an aftershave named after him, so if he is a sap, hopefully he's a fragrant one ;)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If it's mentioned I suspect it will be more along the lines of what they learned while making Merlin and what will they be taking from that into their adaptation of the Atlantis mythology.

That's probably it.

I wonder if Atlantis will bag an SFX/Sci-Fi Now cover when it airs in September?

Or even a Radio Times one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's 10 years older and he's buried his best friend and seen others die, I don't think he's expected to be "jolly" no. But he still doesn't look angry and dejected.
    That's all a matter of opinion. I see his scowl and fearsome visage and think: "Wow, that is one angry man!" Then, I see his slump, his subtle gaze at the ruins, and his eternal vigil and think: "Wow! The Ancient Greeks had nothing on this guy's punishment!"

But, that's how I see it. It is my opinion and you have yours.
    myselfandi wrote: »
    No. 1) Morgana and Saxons lost the battle, despite what you implied. and 2) Morgana lost the war and Arthur won it, despite what you implied.
    The only way to know for certain would be to revisit the show. Besides, in light of the show's canon, I'd say that this quote is proof that Camelot lost:

So yeah, the war is over, there is peace and Gwen and Camelot aren't worrying about the next onslaught. In addition, Kilgarrah said, “When Albion has need of him , Arthur will rise again.” From that we can infer that Albion has been trucking along just fine. Oh okay, Merlin had to intervene with a bit of nasty weather that time the Spanish Armada came around. Even so, if things are that bad, Arthur will be back. And yes, the Terminator stole Arthur's line.
    That's one way of looking at it. The other is the TRUE way of Capps and Murphy which would be the show's canon.
    Pffft. The Show canon has always been haphazard and inconsistent. Aside from ignoring what Merlin and Arthur were supposed to establish, the end of series 5 also ignored that Morgana was supposed to bring the old ways back to the land. Extrapolate if you want, but it's really wishful fanfic you're writing.
    Which under the canon of JC and JM makes them all failures which is the charm of the legends and the show! :D
    I object to your crappy misogynism towards a woman of color. Please to be picking better nouns and adjectives. Aside from that, I agree that Gwen, like Arthur in episode 4.05, will be tested as a new ruler and it will be even rougher given her non-military background and former servant status.
    BTW, I don't write fanfic though this would be a good one...

Anyway, the typical continuation for Gwen's story follow from the negation of the fairytale of a poor servant who marries her prince and lives happily ever after--- impliedly, that all is bliss and correct in her life there after. In this case, the continuation would be that she does not live happily ever after and all goes wrong. And, the twist being that she might mean well or ill... I think given the last four episodes that Gwen means ill.

Her color has nothing to do with it. Nor does her gender! And, it's surprising that you'd find what I wrote to be

If you think those are misogynistic you can blame human civilization for that, not me, and specifically you can blame feminist heroines and icons, Maureen Murdock and/or Betty Friedan for bringing those depictions to the national conscious in the US. :(

It's merely her Archetypal role as the feminine ideal who failed which is the canon of the show in that the show is about failure. In Gwen's case, the role of those who are welcomed into society but who become outsiders of society by failing (Friedan) specifically failing to heal the separation of the male and female principles (Murdock) resulting in actions which further or maintain that split. Among the typical aspects that arise are the TEMPTRESS, the **** and the WITCH which are the negative aspects of the WILD WOMAN and can be traced to the legends of Lilith, Ishtar, etc.
    What Saxon conquerors? Those Saxons thugs conquered jack.
    Yes. As in the union jack? :D:D:D

Seriously though, those thugs conquered Camelot and the rest of the kingdoms of Britain and Scotland. :D
    High ratings and a passionate fan base, yeah, 'Merlin' is a success by any standard.
    According to Bradders, MERLIN finished on a high point... the Death of Arthur... and there's no reason to revisit that!

Which according to JM is why spin offs and sequels aren't needed because MERLIN is a story of the epic story of the epic failure of Arthur. That's what JM and JC set out to show: that charm that is the Arthurian Legend which is a tale of failure. And, that is what Julian Jones had to tie up and pound home in the final story thus making it so that there could never be sequels or spin off which he said ideally as a perfect end: everyone dies.

In this case, Jones sets out to push the JM and JC theme of failure. And, that's what he showed. If I go by the show's canon and direction, with the ending I saw, I can't argue with that.:D

Now would I have liked a different ending? Yes. One in which at least Gwen was a success and not set on her fate of going to a nunnery or this show's equivalent? Sure. But, that's not what I was shown or anything in the show hinting at that as a possibility.

So, if that's the purpose of the last episode wherein the show's a failure... why single out one person to succeed, like Gwen when by all rights there was nothing to show that she would? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    More than likely it will be, though maybe SFX might ask them about it.

I found it funny in the commentary when Katie was like 'so Merlin failed?' and JM is like 'ermm..'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously though, those thugs conquered Camelot and the rest of the kingdoms of Britain and Scotland. :D

No, they really didn't, if by that you're implying historically. The Saxons didn't get anywhere near Scotland and they only really "conquered" (utterly wrong word as colonised is actually more accurate), the east of England.

The north of England, Wales and Scotland stayed mostly Celtic while the Saxons were settling in the south, the north had some Scandinavian invaders and settlers which is why there's a huge amount of "Viking" place names across Yorkshire and Northumberland) and parts of it were actually ruled over by the Kings of Norway.

By the time of the Norman Conquest the south of England was wholly Saxon while the North still retained pockets of people descended from both Norse settlers and the original Celtic tribes - in other words, the native British.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they really didn't, if by that you're implying historically. The Saxons didn't get anywhere near Scotland and they only really "conquered" (utterly wrong word as colonised is actually more accurate), the east of England.

The north of England, Wales and Scotland stayed mostly Celtic while the Saxons were settling in the south, the north had some Scandinavian invaders and settlers which is why there's a huge amount of "Viking" place names across Yorkshire and Northumberland) and parts of it were actually ruled over by the Kings of Norway.

By the time of the Norman Conquest the south of England was wholly Saxon while the North still retained pockets of people descended from both Norse settlers and the original Celtic tribes - in other words, the native British.
    No. I'm talking MERLIN where the "Saxons" seem to be in the North, South, East, and West as the warriors allied with Morgana. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I'm talking MERLIN where the "Saxons" seem to be in the North, South, East, and West as the warriors allied with Morgana. :D

How you coming to that conclusion, she had a band of Saxons roaming around with her as mercenary troops, pretty similar to her use of the Southrons the last time she got her ass kicked and her head honcho offed. I'd expect them to behave in exactly the same way that the Southrons under Helios did - to slope off away from Camelot and never be heard of again.
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just luck of timing. ;)
    Figures. :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just luck of timing. ;)

Figures. :rolleyes: :p

Sort of, Aramis was meant for the priesthood but he loves women too much ;) He's a bit of a study in contrasts, when he's a musketeer he dreams of being an Abbe (priest) and when he heads off to do that, he misses the life of a soldier. He became a musketeer because of a woman in his arrogant youth. Of all the characters in Dumas' novel I think he's actually my favourite.

He's been played by some gorgeous men over the years too but my favourite would be either Richard Chamberlain in the trilogy of films in the 70s (the last one was in the 90s) or Jeremy Irons in the Man in the Iron Mask in the 90s.

ETA: Would also totally agree with Avi, The Three Musketeers is a superb novel and is, from memory, totally free to download from Amazon on the Kindle (and the Kindle app for PCs or android/iPhones).
  • Options
    SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myselfandi wrote: »
    So yeah, the war is over, there is peace and Gwen and Camelot aren't worrying about the next onslaught. In addition, Kilgarrah said, “When Albion has need of him , Arthur will rise again.” From that we can infer that Albion has been trucking along just fine. Oh okay, Merlin had to intervene with a bit of nasty weather that time the Spanish Armada came around. Even so, if things are that bad, Arthur will be back.

I hope for his sake that nobody at the time saw him do it as he'd have been chucked on the bonfire with a speed that Uther could only have dreamt of :)

Btw...Didn't that 'nasty weather' you mention actually occur off the Irish coast as the armada was making for home anyway? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope for his sake that nobody at the time saw him do it as he'd have been chucked on the bonfire with a speed that Uther could only have dreamt of :)

Btw...Didn't that 'nasty weather' you mention actually occur off the Irish coast as the armada was making for home anyway? :)

It did indeedy after they'd already had their asses handed to them in the English Channel :)
  • Options
    myselfandimyselfandi Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It did indeedy after they'd already had their asses handed to them in the English Channel :)

*squints* okay, I had to do some heavy duty googling just before going to bed. yes, the English navy had beaten up on the Spaniards in Calais and the Spaniards had retreated north to Scotland, then gotten trashed by weather while sailing by Ireland. This may or may not account for all those good-looking Irish with black hair.

However, the Spaniards were messed up by bad weather in the beginning as well, delaying the approach of the Armada to England. This allowed the English ample time to prepare. Merlin helps those who help themselves.:)
    I'd say that this quote is proof that Camelot lost:

There's nothing more to say, is there? Arthur speaks of peace as Morgana dies. That means Camelot is victorious to me. I don't see how how you get Camelot's defeat from her death. At this point, I'm not interested either.
    Her color has nothing to do with it. Nor does her gender! And, it's surprising that you'd find what I wrote to be
    You deliberately used loaded terms. I'm not interested in your sophistry.
    Seriously though, those thugs conquered Camelot and the rest of the kingdoms of Britain and Scotland.
    The Saxons conquered Scotland, Wales and North Ireland? Don't be going to those areas saying that.
    According to Bradders, MERLIN finished on a high point... the Death of Arthur..
    I'm not wild about the deliberate disrespect you insist on. fwiw, his attitude seems to be that of a Klingon - a good death in battle is a good ending.

Anything after that, you're just guessing.
  • Options
    SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Er...that's not quite true :) They lost very few ships due to combat at sea and were thwarted in their plans largely due to a combination of indecisive leadership, lousy communication with the army waiting to be picked up in Holland, inexperienced pilots unfamiliar with the treacherous tides and weather around the British coast, a shortage of experienced sailors, ships that were slower and more difficult to maoeuvre than the sleeker English ships, cannon that were very difficult to use and were manned by inexperienced gunners...

In short, this was one situation where the help of a wizard wasn't really required imo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er...that's not quite true :) They lost very few ships due to combat at sea and were thwarted in their plans largely due to a combination of indecisive leadership, lousy communication with the army waiting to be picked up in Holland, inexperienced pilots unfamiliar with the treacherous tides and weather around the British coast, a shortage of experienced sailors, ships that were slower and more difficult to maoeuvre than the sleeker English ships, cannon that were very difficult to use and were manned by inexperienced gunners...

In short, this was one situation where the help of a wizard wasn't really required imo :)

They lost 50 out of around 150 ships, most wrecked off the coast of Ireland, however the English use of fire ships in the English Channel had caused them enough problems that they decided to retreat instead of press the overwhelming numerical advantage they had. That, to me, counts as having their asses kicked :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

Well, at the risk of coming in here once a month and saying something controversial - the bit in bold...erm, yes that definitely applies to me. :D

Didn't he play a priest in 'Cristiada'? There is a kind of purity about him which means that he can portray 'goodness' very well...
    Sort of, Aramis was meant for the priesthood but he loves women too much ;) He's a bit of a study in contrasts, when he's a musketeer he dreams of being an Abbe (priest) and when he heads off to do that, he misses the life of a soldier. He became a musketeer because of a woman in his arrogant youth. Of all the characters in Dumas' novel I think he's actually my favourite.

He's been played by some gorgeous men over the years too but my favourite would be either Richard Chamberlain in the trilogy of films in the 70s (the last one was in the 90s) or Jeremy Irons in the Man in the Iron Mask in the 90s.

ETA: Would also totally agree with Avi, The Three Musketeers is a superb novel and is, from memory, totally free to download from Amazon on the Kindle (and the Kindle app for PCs or android/iPhones).

I was looking forward to this series anyway, but I can't wait now. A full series with Santiago, where he doesn't get killed off. Yes!!! :D

A message to Avi and Star: I still haven't ventured into the other thread, but I wanted to let you know that your kind words of welcome were much appreciated. Thank you :)