Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    There are several anti-BBC/anti-Licence Fee threads already over in the Broadcasting section. Please don't start LF debates and anti-BBC arguments on this thread. By all means debate ratings and BBC programmes, but from what I can tell your agenda is to try and persuade others to join in on a BBC funding debate. You seem to be miffed that the BBC bought the internationally successful The Voice. Well, they have an obligation to entertain as well as educate. And, it is a genre that is currently popular. So it is only right they offer a programme within a popular genre that is a genuine alternative to other talent shows.

I'm a BBC fan but even I disapprove of them spending all that cash on The Voice, particularly at a time of budget cuts.

They may have enjoyed bumper ratings (for a while) but the BBC don't need those to survive and ratings shouldn't be the BBC's main consideration.

Fair enough, BBC buying in imported formats (The Apprentice, Dragon's Den) but not at any cost. I don't see The Voice as a genuine alternative to other talent shows. All they had was the spinning chairs. A gimmick.

Its success was down to hype and the ratings collapsed when people realised they had no stand-out talent. And the winner's first single reached no 45 in the charts. How embarrassing. Even the much-derided Fame Academy managed to get both its winners into the top 3.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing about this series of Dancing On Ice is that every episode has begun at 6.15 (even to the extent of giving that FA Cup match the other week that daft 3.55 kick-off to get it finished in time) and has lasted ninety minutes, which certainly seems a bit more sensitive scheduling than The X Factor when everyone suggested one reason for its decline was its consistent bouncing around the schedules. ITV have surely done it some favours with that scheduling, although that may be countered by the results show starting away from a junction in the middle of two massive shows. As I don't watch it I don't know if the fixed duration has led to the early shows being rushed and/or the later shows being padded out.

The performance show started off as ridiculously padded out (six performers in 90 minutes was painful); improved when they combined the remaining celebrities in week 4 but has rapidly become padded out again. There's too many adverts between each performance; they did not need 90 minutes on Sunday to fit in six dances; The X Factor used to manage to fit 12 acts in 120!
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Its success was down to hype and the ratings collapsed when people realised they had no stand-out talent.

Funny I remember differently (being pushed to 6.15 on the hottest day of the year?), the performance shows never once dipped below a 29% share and you seem to forget it easily outrated the final of The Apprentice which has the same cost per hour.Anyway it followed the same ratings range of most international versions.
    I don't see The Voice as a genuine alternative to other talent shows. All they had was the spinning chairs. A gimmick.

I don't see Silent Witness, Death In Paradise or even pointless as genuine alternatives to ITV offerings. So they shouldn't do them either by your logic. Death In paradise is a crime drama set on a Caribbean island - a gimmick.
    And the winner's first single reached no 45 in the charts. How embarrassing. Even the much-derided Fame Academy managed to get both its winners into the top 3.
    The winner never released a single, she charted because people were downloading her song from The Voice Compilation album. How embarrassing for you.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its success was down to hype and the ratings collapsed when people realised they had no stand-out talent. And the winner's first single reached no 45 in the charts. How embarrassing. Even the much-derided Fame Academy managed to get both its winners into the top 3.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The winner never released a single, she charted because people were downloading her song from The Voice Compilation album. How embarrassing for you.

It was released as a single - see for example
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088EGBKS/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B0088EGBSU&qid=1361915364&sr=1-1

The single was released on 2nd June and debuted at number 45 that week. The Voice album was a week later (10th June).
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent point from Steve about clug rugby being a poor ratings draw, I know matches on Sky have struggled, but I think he is talking about club rugby union. While I'll admit the Superleague isn't that much of a draw outside its heartlands, in the RL heartlands a game like St Helens and Wigan attracts 20,000 fans and half a million on Sky, again considering the sport is only played in parts of the Northwest and Yorkshire at the top level, excellent. I for one enjoy my Superleague with around 20 fans every Friday night in the pub.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoners Wives moving to Thursdays for this series, premiering on March 14th with what will surely be a healthy lead in from the Comic Relief documentary Through Hell and High Water. Drama Shetland airs Sunday and Monday at 9pm, with Masterchef on Tuesday at 9pm and Wednesday 8.30-10pm - so wonder if that's going back to the "let's film it as five half hour episodes then squeeze it in where we can" format. I guess that means to The Apprentice won't be back until late Spring/early summer at the earliest.

And BBC2 getting in on the wedding bug with "A Very British Wedding" on Wednesday at 8.30pm.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Prisoners Wives moving to Thursdays for this series, premiering on March 14th with what will surely be a healthy lead in from the Comic Relief documentary Through Hell and High Water. Drama Shetland airs Sunday and Monday at 9pm, with Masterchef on Tuesday at 9pm and Wednesday 8.30-10pm - so wonder if that's going back to the "let's film it as five half hour episodes then squeeze it in where we can" format. I guess that means to The Apprentice won't be back until late Spring/early summer at the earliest.

I'm glad that Prisoners' Wives is on Thursdays because with Shetland on Monday and Tuesday, that spreads their gritty drama across the week.

I was thinking Wednesday 8-9pm, Thursday 8-9pm and Friday 8.30-9pm for Masterchef, looking at the slots that at the slots that are freeing up, but the Friday slot is unavailable in the first week because of Comic Relief and Wednesday at 8 puts them head to head with Simon Cowell's new ITV food show.

Maybe they're going with Tuesday 9-10pm, Wednesday 9-10pm and Friday 8.30-9pm. Or Friday 9.30-10pm after Have I Got News For You just to keep the programmes in synch. Can't say I agree with Masterchef being a post-watershed programme.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    It's doing good for Channel 4 and I imagine its not too expensive to make. I do wonder if BBC One didn't have their religion and current affairs requirements whether they'd air something similar. What was the reason that Something for the Weekend was dropped?
    Reduced spending on BBC Two daytime, apparently.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they're not going back to filming it as five episodes because it doesn't work on BBC One, I thought they revamped it to make it work as a hour long format. 90 minute of Masterchef is too much for one episode. It works on BBC Two because they have the slots for it.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    If you're suggesting getting rid of the BBC's statutory obligation to outsource 25% of its output to independent production companies, that would be a shattering blow to the industry.

Programmes outsourced are supposed to be cheaper to make than those in-house. That's probably why BBC studios are standing empty and many talented staff have been lost.Yet strangely a lot of these ''indies'' actually come back and hire BBC studios to make their shows ! When the first show for ITV was made in a BBC studio the then director general John Birt decreed there should be no mention of the BBC in the credits:eek:
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death in Paradise 6.09m (25.42%)
    Heading Out 1.83m (9.64%)

Jake Kanter Twitter
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Death in Paradise dented CSI which could only muster 1.56m (6.5%) inc. +1. Very low for its high standards, finishing last out of the main five.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    The football replay tanked for itv with just 2.56m (10.7%) in the 9pm hour. It was left to C4 then to top the commercials with its essential viewing for the criminals of tomorrow. Secrets of the Pickpockets nicked an audience of 2.75m (11.5%).
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    Football

ITV

ITV HD
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FA Cup replay averaged 3M from 7.30 to 10pm on itv

stv showed Wild Britain at 7.30 and My House in Umbria from 8-10pm btw.

Interesting to see the stv versus rest of UK split for last night
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Death in Paradise dented CSI which could only muster 1.56m (6.5%) inc. +1. Very low for its high standards, finishing last out of the main five.

Couldn't they have waited until next week to start CSI since last night was DIP's last ep of the series, doubt Mayday next week will have quite the same effect.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    The FA Cup replay averaged 3M from 7.30 to 10pm on itv

stv showed Wild Britain at 7.30 and My House in Umbria from 8-10pm btw.

Interesting to see the stv versus rest of UK split for last night

My House in Umbria averaged 252k/13.2%.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The football replay tanked for itv with just 2.56m (10.7%) in the 9pm hour. It was left to C4 then to top the commercials with its essential viewing for the criminals of tomorrow. Secrets of the Pickpockets nicked an audience of 2.75m (11.5%).

Ouch.

ITV makes a big play about its football coverage, but it rarely does the business whether FA Cup, England or Champs League.

Is it really making money for them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch.

ITV makes a big play about its football coverage, but it rarely does the business whether FA Cup, England or Champs League.

ITV's pre-tax profits up 6% for 2012; ITV will pay special dividend of £156 million; Shares now at 120.2p; could rise to a 10 year high this week
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch.

GeorgeS wrote: »
    ITV's pre-tax profits up 6% for 2012; ITV will pay special dividend of £156 million; Shares now at 120.2p; could rise to a 10 year high this week

They are indeed making money somehow.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    But its not the football which is making the money for Itv, its other parts of the schedule as well as them unemployeeing hundreds of people in costs savings. Football is actually hindering the amount of money Itv is making because of the huge fees for all but one of the tournaments.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    An all-day share of 23.1% for BBC One yesterday; something like 17-18% for ITV inc +1.

It looks to me like STV's Umbria opt-out had a similar share to the football.
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    But its not the football which is making the money for Itv, its other parts of the schedule as well as them unemployeeing hundreds of people in costs savings. Football is actually hindering the amount of money Itv is making because of the huge fees for all but one of the tournaments.

Football gave ITV two of the top 10 non-soap slots in the key younger age group demographics last week, according to data posted higher up this thread. So while last night's match probably did not do as well as that, it is not at all clear that football as a whole is unprofitable for them. Further, it must be likely that football does better among young men than among young women, bringing a different audience than the soaps.

As ever, it is not just the "raw" headline ratings figures which should be the basis of judgements....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    An all-day share of 23.1% for BBC One yesterday; something like 17-18% for ITV inc +1.

It looks to me like STV's Umbria opt-out had a similar share to the football.

M/c delivering another 6.8% in all day share to itv with Lewis offering a complementary option in the 8pm slot and the snooker in daytime giving itv4 a boost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Football gave ITV two of the top 10 non-soap slots in the key younger age group demographics last week, according to data posted higher up this thread. So while last night's match probably did not do as well as that, it is not at all clear that football as a whole is unprofitable for them. Further, it must be likely that football does better among young men than among young women, bringing a different audience than the soaps.

As ever, it is not just the "raw" headline ratings figures which should be the basis of judgements....

itv rather bizzarely ran highlights of the game just finished at 10.35pm which was rather stange, yet they run highlights of the untelevised game tonight on itv4 at 10.30pm.

Surely it should be the other way around with Chelsea/ Middelsborough on itv and the highlights from Everton/ Oldham on itv4?
This discussion has been closed.