Options

Merlin Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    HorizonHorizon Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet, Bradley did an interview with a French magazine and someone has kindly translated it. A copy of the translation is below, thanks to this site for doing it:

http://gealach-ros.livejournal.com/1026091.html

Of all the season, which is your favourite?
    Season 5 is really my favourite for one simple reason - we jumped forward 3 years and now finally the characters evolved. In previous years it could be very frustrating for me and others, because we had the sensation always of spinning the same tale. For example, we filmed an episode or something where Arthur was himself or affected by a situation. At the end of the episode, it seemed like he grew up and wouldn't make the same mistakes again. However, in the next episode, it was as if the these things never happened and Arthur once again acted like an idiot. It made ​​me upset!

Did the end of the show live up to your hopes/expectations?
    Absolutely. I always thought the show should end with a long conversation between Merlin and Arthur. A face to face where they'd talk about everything on their hearts and all secrets would finally be revealed. The last episode is like that. Colin and I were able to play all the nuances of the relationship between these two men that are the best friends in the world despite their differences. These scenes have been very emotional for me and it was a way for me to say goodbye to Colin. I love this guy, even though I made fun of him and even hit him on set all the time! [laughs]

Your relations resembled those that existed between Arthur and Merlin?
    During the first season, I did not understand his humour. Colin is very sarcastic. Then I discoverd that he's really funny, the humor very particular, very different from my other friends. He really is a good guy. Exactly as Arthur and Merlin and we became inseperable on the set.

You're about to depart with a whole bunch of friends with the show ending. Isn't that a little sad?
    This is part of the actor's profession. But we all stay in contact, though. Colin and I and all the guys who play the Knights, we're a real band mates. We'll continue to see us because we live in London and work all around the earth.

There's been talks about a spinoff series of Merlin, or a movie. Do you know more?
    Should the scenario sound really exceptional maybe I'd say think about it. And I can possibly speak for others in saying that we all think the same thing. But the end of the series is incredibly satisfying for us. Each character has their moment of glory and we even get to see how some characters evolve. So for me the Merlin adventure is finished.

What are youre present/future projects?
    I read a lot of scripts, mostly for cinema. This time is very exciting for me. And that's why I didn't want to play the role of Arthur Pendragon until the end of my days. I want to prove I can do something other than wield a sword and wearing a chain mail. Even though I loved doing it.

You have experienced a lot on the 'legend of Arthur' road, can you tell us something that'd surprise us?
    Any aspect of the French legend is fascinating. The story says that Arthur was born in England in many versions. And when the story arrived in France, the character of Lancelot, a French knight was added by local authors who thereby turned Arthur into a deceived husband. When the story came back to England, they kept the character of Lancelot, but then made him a knight who was supposedly a little debile! It was their way to avenge the affront of French, I suppose. [laughs]

You spent many months in France to shoot the series. Our country will miss you.
    So do I, as I love coming back to the castle of Pierrefonds. I always enjoyed the sun and the local food, it was great. Fortunately, London is not very far from Paris and I'll sure be back.

Are you happy with the evolution of Arthur?
    Entirely, it is wonderful what this character embodies through his transformation. He's a hero that is very important to the British. During the series, he's a bit arrogant and not always very nice. But partly thanks to Merlin, Arthur becomes the king that brings peace and happiness to his people and leaves Camelot in very good hands at the end of the series. I could not think of anything better when I was chosen to play Arthur.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A message to Avi and Star: I still haven't ventured into the other thread, but I wanted to let you know that your kind words of welcome were much appreciated. Thank you :)

:) Come and play with us in the other thread, were not all crazy.. honest *crosses fingers behind back* ;):p:D
  • Options
    SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    They lost 50 out of around 150 ships, most wrecked off the coast of Ireland, however the English use of fire ships in the English Channel had caused them enough problems that they decided to retreat instead of press the overwhelming numerical advantage they had. That, to me, counts as having their asses kicked :)

Well it certainly couldn't be described as a success for the Spanish :D but even so I can't give Merlin any credit for it as the English Channel was (and still is) one of the most dangerous shipping lanes on Earth - complete with hidden sandbanks, rocky approaches and notoriously changeable weather conditions - long before Merlin was born :D

One last point about the Armada - I believe I'm right in saying that after the threat of invasion had passed, the English ships were kept at sea for something like 3 months afterwards - supposedly to guard against the threat of the Spanish having another try, but the reality was that the sailors only got paid when they came ashore, so if they were kept at sea the money owed them stayed with the exchequer :mad: By the time they did get ashore around 70% of the men who had faced the Armada had died of starvation and disease aboard their own ships...Some thanks, eh? :(
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How you coming to that conclusion, she had a band of Saxons roaming around with her as mercenary troops, pretty similar to her use of the Southrons the last time she got her ass kicked and her head honcho offed. I'd expect them to behave in exactly the same way that the Southrons under Helios did - to slope off away from Camelot and never be heard of again.
    Because, they're still roaming the woods while she died! It all goes with the failure theme of Arthur, Merlin, Morgana, and Gwen... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myselfandi wrote: »
    There's nothing more to say, is there? Arthur speaks of peace as Morgana dies....
    Knowing that he will soon die... which he does. Because of the failure theme, I don't look at this as:
    ... That means Camelot is victorious to me. I don't see how how you get Camelot's defeat from her death...
    I see it as Arthur knowing and preparing for his death which he's accepted which will provide him and the kingdom, he hopes, with peace at last...
    You deliberately used loaded terms. I'm not interested in your sophistry...
    I'd say no and cite every feminist writer dating to Sappho to Meade to Mitchell to Brown in my defense... But this should suffice:

The **** or Prostitute:

"This represents giving away of part of yourself, spirit or integrity for financial gain. This can also include the selling of talents and ideas.

The shadow aspect of the Prostitute is linked to the use of sex and seduction as a means of control over another person.

According to Caroline Myss we all have this Archetype. This is because we give our power away to others when we become fearful. This Goddess Archetype reminds us to regain the power over ourselves by finding ways to improve our self esteem and discover the beauty within."

As the term **** and prostitute are defined as a role in story telling, Merlin of S5 might fall in that category as well after the events of the DISIR. :p

Now, if you're going to belittle my arguments as "sophistry" then you're going to need some evidence that my ideas are fallacious and superficial and that your alternative is far more probable and profound.
    The Saxons conquered Scotland, Wales and North Ireland? Don't be going to those areas saying that.
    Sorry, but as JM and JC used it all in MERLIN, the invaders and combatants who allied themselves with Morgana in S5 were lumped in as "Saxons" even in the North where they should have been the PICTS.
    I'm not wild about the deliberate disrespect you insist on. fwiw, his attitude seems to be that of a Klingon - a good death in battle is a good ending.
    Too bad you think it's disrespect--- I can't really do that because I don't know the characters well enough due to the poor development to respect them or not--- I'm just calling it as I see it based upon their roles in the story of MERLIN and analogous roles in other stories within the context of JM's comments that the story of MERLIN is he failed. As for how I see where the characters will and have ended up, it's that way for me because it's the natural consequence of this interpretation of MERLIN. But, I'm open to alternatives if you can show me differently. :D
    Anything after that, you're just guessing.
    As in all things dealing with speculation and probability. The real question is the likelihood an event will occur. Given the premise that MERLIN is a show about failure which is the Arthurian Legends as conceived by JM, JC, and JJ and it's JJ's purpose to write a concluding episode to that effect in which the characters end in the worst way possible--- physically, emotionally, or spiritually dead--- then I'd say that there's a high probability that my interpretation of things is correct especially with Bradders saying that he and likely the others find the ending to be satisfying. Anyway, just show me where I'm wrong...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horizon wrote: »
    Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet, Bradley did an interview with a French magazine and someone has kindly translated it. A copy of the translation is below, thanks to this site for doing it:

http://gealach-ros.livejournal.com/1026091.html

Of all the season, which is your favourite?
    Season 5 is really my favourite for one simple reason - we jumped forward 3 years and now finally the characters evolved. In previous years it could be very frustrating for me and others, because we had the sensation always of spinning the same tale. For example, we filmed an episode or something where Arthur was himself or affected by a situation. At the end of the episode, it seemed like he grew up and wouldn't make the same mistakes again. However, in the next episode, it was as if the these things never happened and Arthur once again acted like an idiot. It made ​​me upset!

Did the end of the show live up to your hopes/expectations?
    Absolutely. I always thought the show should end with a long conversation between Merlin and Arthur. A face to face where they'd talk about everything on their hearts and all secrets would finally be revealed. The last episode is like that. Colin and I were able to play all the nuances of the relationship between these two men that are the best friends in the world despite their differences. These scenes have been very emotional for me and it was a way for me to say goodbye to Colin. I love this guy, even though I made fun of him and even hit him on set all the time! [laughs]

Your relations resembled those that existed between Arthur and Merlin?
    During the first season, I did not understand his humour. Colin is very sarcastic. Then I discoverd that he's really funny, the humor very particular, very different from my other friends. He really is a good guy. Exactly as Arthur and Merlin and we became inseperable on the set.

You're about to depart with a whole bunch of friends with the show ending. Isn't that a little sad?
    This is part of the actor's profession. But we all stay in contact, though. Colin and I and all the guys who play the Knights, we're a real band mates. We'll continue to see us because we live in London and work all around the earth.

There's been talks about a spinoff series of Merlin, or a movie. Do you know more?
    Should the scenario sound really exceptional maybe I'd say think about it. And I can possibly speak for others in saying that we all think the same thing. But the end of the series is incredibly satisfying for us. Each character has their moment of glory and we even get to see how some characters evolve. So for me the Merlin adventure is finished.

What are youre present/future projects?
    I read a lot of scripts, mostly for cinema. This time is very exciting for me. And that's why I didn't want to play the role of Arthur Pendragon until the end of my days. I want to prove I can do something other than wield a sword and wearing a chain mail. Even though I loved doing it.

You have experienced a lot on the 'legend of Arthur' road, can you tell us something that'd surprise us?
    Any aspect of the French legend is fascinating. The story says that Arthur was born in England in many versions. And when the story arrived in France, the character of Lancelot, a French knight was added by local authors who thereby turned Arthur into a deceived husband. When the story came back to England, they kept the character of Lancelot, but then made him a knight who was supposedly a little debile! It was their way to avenge the affront of French, I suppose. [laughs]

You spent many months in France to shoot the series. Our country will miss you.
    So do I, as I love coming back to the castle of Pierrefonds. I always enjoyed the sun and the local food, it was great. Fortunately, London is not very far from Paris and I'll sure be back.

Entirely, it is wonderful what this character embodies through his transformation. He's a hero that is very important to the British. During the series, he's a bit arrogant and not always very nice. But partly thanks to Merlin, Arthur becomes the king that brings peace and happiness to his people and leaves Camelot in very good hands at the end of the series. I could not think of anything better when I was chosen to play Arthur.

Thanks for posting this, Horizon! Lovely to read all Bradley's warm comments about Colin. The bromance continues - hurrah! And interesting that he's opened the door a tiny bit on the possibility of a film/sequel, though I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Never mind - in my head I know exactly how it would all go! :D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it certainly couldn't be described as a success for the Spanish :D but even so I can't give Merlin any credit for it as the English Channel was (and still is) one of the most dangerous shipping lanes on Earth - complete with hidden sandbanks, rocky approaches and notoriously changeable weather conditions - long before Merlin was born :D(

I don't think Merlin had anything to do with it, my previous comment was that the English didn't need him to do anything with the weather as they'd already routed the Spanish in the Channel through their use of the fire ships :)
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Anyway, just show me where I'm wrong...

Various posters have already done that. You've simply chosen to ignore those alternatives and repeatedly present your opinion as if it's the only correct one rather than simply your interpretation of the ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    myselfandi wrote: »
    Yuck. So she's supposed to have more coats than she needs just to keep the catty females happy? I don't thinks she's Colin's gf and based on some people's attitudes, it's a good thing. I think Colin should stick to boyfriends.
    If he was gay I suppose, and no need to yuck one cannot expect a man to understand. In the world of celebrity red carpets you never wear the same clothes or shoes twice let alone coats. That's why stylists exist, so you don't have to purchase every single thing you wear. I really could care less if she's his girlfriend or not, I'm an equal opportunity fashion sniper...I raked Adele on Grammy night and I'm one of her biggest fans.
    You've simply chosen to ignore those alternatives and repeatedly present your opinion as if it's the only correct one rather than simply your interpretation of the ending.

To be fair you often do the same thing ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Various posters have already done that. You've simply chosen to ignore those alternatives and repeatedly present your opinion as if it's the only correct one rather than simply your interpretation of the ending.
    That's because they hadn't! :D Those claims would only work had JM and JC intended MERLIN to be a story of success at the end. And, it's clear it wasn't. :(

Besides, I'd like to think that the way Arthur turned out was was what Bradders had in mind all along from day 1:

"Entirely, it is wonderful what this character embodies through his transformation. He's a hero that is very important to the British. During the series, he's a bit arrogant and not always very nice. But partly thanks to Merlin, Arthur becomes the king that brings peace and happiness to his people and leaves Camelot in very good hands at the end of the series. I could not think of anything better when I was chosen to play Arthur. "

Yes, he did indeed leave it in the very competent hands of the Saxons! :D And, that's why I'm enjoying the re-watch because within the context of JC and JM themes, I'm looking for the points where Arthur's destined to fail and where the Saxons would take over... the turning point pitting the kingdom of Camelot against the Saxons and it seems thus far to be in the LANCELOT episode.

I'm still looking around for other things like the love story between two men that is Arthur and Merlin though I haven't found it yet! And, that's taken me back to what's meant by "PLATONIC" love. Is that to mean as it means now? Or as Plato meant it in the SYMPOSIUM which would mean something else entirely? And none of the current dictionaries including OED are helpful... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yafu2 wrote: »
    To be fair you often do the same thing ;)

No, actually I've never presented my opinion as the only correct one and then asked people to show me where I'm wrong.
    That's because they hadn't! :D Those claims would only work had JM and JC intended MERLIN to be a story of success at the end. And, it's clear it wasn't. :(

And you've just done it again Mike. Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps have spoken of the original mythology being about the failure of Camelot, they've actually never said they were producing Merlin as a story of failure, that's your own interpretation of their comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Well it certainly couldn't be described as a success for the Spanish :D but even so I can't give Merlin any credit for it as the English Channel was (and still is) one of the most dangerous shipping lanes on Earth - complete with hidden sandbanks, rocky approaches and notoriously changeable weather conditions - long before Merlin was born :D

One last point about the Armada - I believe I'm right in saying that after the threat of invasion had passed, the English ships were kept at sea for something like 3 months afterwards - supposedly to guard against the threat of the Spanish having another try, but the reality was that the sailors only got paid when they came ashore, so if they were kept at sea the money owed them stayed with the exchequer :mad: By the time they did get ashore around 70% of the men who had faced the Armada had died of starvation and disease aboard their own ships...Some thanks, eh? :(

One extra Armada thingy - and I do admit it is frivolous as in truth a lot of people died in reality - it was a sort of a war after all - I do like this summary about the Amanda(s) of " Philip of the Galleons" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyZ10k8VsA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One extra Armada thingy - and I do admit it is frivolous as in truth a lot of people died in reality - it was a sort of a war after all - I do like this summary about the Amanda(s) of " Philip of the Galleons" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyZ10k8VsA

Got to love the Horrible Histories :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Especially The Vikings - Rock Gods :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you've just done it again Mike. Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps have spoken of the original mythology being about the failure of Camelot, they've actually never said they were producing Merlin as a story of failure, that's your own interpretation of their comments.
    Check out the audio commentary for S5x13! :D

After KM asks if MERLIN failed, JM is speechless. All he had to say was no! And, it's evident to anyone watching that MERLIN did fail and failure was what JM and JC and JJ had in mind from the first because they said they had an idea of how it would all end.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s53/merlin/news/a407190/merlin-writers-know-how-show-will-end.html

'Merlin' writers 'know how show will end'
    Published Thursday, Sep 20 2012, 16:00 BST | By Morgan Jeffery

Merlin's exec producers have confirmed that they know how the series will end.

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy told reporters that they have known how the BBC fantasy drama would conclude "almost since the beginning".

"I think what's interesting about it is... it's always been about the end," Capps said.

Murphy agreed: "We were talking about Arthur's death in episode eight, series one. There's something about this legend that works because it failed - they did create this Camelot... and it failed.

"You can't really run away from that, but [it remains to be seen] how we get there and how long it takes."
    And, that's what they intended to show in S5. Which on S5x13, they showed beautifully. It was a story of the complete failure of Merlin, Arthur, Morgana, and Gwen... :D

In that context, I'd agree with this comment because the hopeful optimism of MERLIN venturing into the wonder of Camelot truly doesn't fit in with the end vision TPTB had.
    At the press screening for the show's fifth run, Murphy also admitted that he is now "horrified" by how certain scenes in Merlin's first two series were realised.

"If we look back at the first and second series, we're pretty horrified at the way we executed it - genuinely - 'cause we can do things so much better now," he explained.
    Because, the failure in character should have started by the end of S1x13. Hopefully, there was some foreshadowing that I missed! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Especially The Vikings - Rock Gods :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

One of my favourites is the Richard III one. Then again, I am most definitely a Yorkist ;)
    Check out the audio commentary for S5x13! :D

After KM asks if MERLIN failed, JM is speechless. All he had to say was no! And, it's evident to anyone watching that MERLIN did fail and failure was what JM and JC and JJ had in mind from the first because they said they had an idea of how it would all end.

I've heard it, it's about as compelling an argument as the one for those claiming Julian Murphy's comments regarding Merlin and Arthur's relationship always being a "love story" meant it had to be a sexual one.
    It's also not "evident to anyone watching" considering the variety of people who've disagreed with your statements not only on this thread but on the series rewatch one.

It'd be rather difficult for them to envisage a retelling of the Arthurian mythology and not have him dying at the end considering they've always spoken about everyone "knowing how the legend ends", so that comment makes complete sense but lends no weight to your argument that the show as a whole was about failure.
    Arthur's death doesn't automatically equal failure and it certainly doesn't in this interpretation where the viewer is given repeated show canon information to the contrary.
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this series anyway, but I can't wait now. A full series with Santiago, where he doesn't get killed off. Yes!!! :D

I wouldn't hold your breath yellowrose, it is going to be a BBC drama after all. At least one of the musketeers will end up dead by the end and the others will end up failures who have nothing but years of untold misery to look forward to. It's inevitable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't hold your breath yellowrose, it is going to be a BBC drama after all. At least one of the musketeers will end up dead by the end and the others will end up failures who have nothing but years of untold misery to look forward to. It's inevitable.

So, sticking fairly close to the original source material then :D
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where on earth have you been recently Keren? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the RAF pilots and The King of Bling .... and oh yes the Richard III song is great - one of the Horrible Histories actors presented that documentary about the discovery of Richard III lost grave a short while ago. I've always had a fondness for Richard of York myself. He seemed subjected to an awful lot of Tudor propaganda, and of course Shakespeare is a wonderful writer, so his version is the one that carries most resonance.

To bring this post back to Merlin, it's well worth listening to the commentary of series 5 ep 10 with Bradley & Alice Troughton - he mentions Richard III as a role that interests him, one day when he's older. Of course in my opinion that will be many years from now, but doubtless worth waiting for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the RAF pilots and The King of Bling .... and oh yes the Richard III song is great - one of the Horrible Histories actors presented that documentary about the discovery of Richard III lost grave a short while ago. I've always had a fondness for Richard of York myself. He seemed subjected to an awful lot of Tudor propaganda, and of course Shakespeare is a wonderful writer, so his version is the one that carries most resonance.

To bring this post back to Merlin, it's well worth listening to the commentary of series 5 ep 10 with Bradley & Alice Troughton - he mentions Richard III as a role that interests him, one day when he's older - many years from now

That'd be an interesting choice for Bradley, especially considering he's more like Edward IV in appearance :D I could see him going for the world weary "doing it because there's no other option" method of playing Richard rather than Olivier's straight up villain role.

As for Richard III himself, very much loved and revered in my neck of the woods and another of my definite geek interests (notes 50 odd books about The Plantagenents, Richard III, the War of the Roses etc on the bedroom bookshelf).
    Yeah I saw the King in the Car Park documentary, there's a follow up to it on More 4 tonight which I'll be catching up with later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tip about another Richard II documentary om More4 Cadiva ..... I think I might actually go and watch TV - just like in the old days B.F. Before Forums
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip about another Richard II documentary om More4 Cadiva ..... I think I might actually go and watch TV - just like in the old days B.F. Before Forums

:) I'm going to watch it on the catch up later, think it started at 9pm. Richard III: The Unseen Story, it's this one, not available yet on the More 4 website.
  • Options
    SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the story is how I remember it, It's more or less Merlin with more flamboyant shirts but no magic...

There's loads of 'bromance' (woopy freakin' do :() a sweet heroine, a scheming villainess who gets her come-uppance in the end (that's new! :yawn:) and a scheming Count a bit like the Sheriff of Nottingham but with a dodgy French accent :sleep:

BIB - I don't think they die or are failures in the end tbh, but every version I've seen of the story in the past made me wish they had by the time it had finished :D

PS: Obviously I won't be watching :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - I don't think they die or are failures in the end tbh

They do in the original novels but most film and TV adaptations don't go right to the end of the story, only the first volume about The Three Musketeers :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how Bradley has always been vocal about his criticisms of the show. I remember him being critical of how they handled his relationship with Gwen as well.