Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dorset accents were awful!!

I disagree. My family hail from there and to me they sounded convincing to me.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The acting of the parents is awful .. no emotions/tears showing at all.
    I disagree - the mother was very emotional and the father trying to hold it together for the sake of the rest of the family. Andrew Buchan is a brilliant actor and is hardly ever cast in anything where his character doesn't have to deal with the death of someone close to him. I don't think they could have chosen a better actor for the role.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    This is utter tosh, the acting is plodding, the script clunky and the premise is boring, even crappy Mayday was better than this, as for Tennant sorry but i cant take him seriously in this, hammy.

And only three pages on it so far,

The script was a bit clunky but I enjoyed it. I quite enjoy Mayday too but it's a bit slow at times.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I disagree - the mother was very emotional and the father trying to hold it together for the sake of the rest of the family. Andrew Buchan is a brilliant actor and is hardly ever cast in anything where his character doesn't have to deal with the death of someone close to him. I don't think they could have chosen a better actor for the role.

I agree about their emotions; also love Andrew Buchan :) I had to get the tissues out :(
  • Options
    CosmicgirlCosmicgirl Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i enjoyed this, i cant wait for next weeks episode!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry I caused confusion, but thank you to Sez_babe for clarifying! Arthur Darvill, Olivia Coleman and David Bradley have all appeared with Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor, and now all three are in the same programme together with the 10th Doctor, David Tennant. I guess not many of us watch both :o (Or else my trivia- loving brain was just distracted last night!)

Thanks for the explanation - it appeared to be a cryptogram! I'm afraid there are millions of us who don't watch dr who at all these days. Though I was an avid fan when they first appeared on TV, with William Hartnell.
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I think David Tennants appearance will be explained later in the show.

Olivia Coleman was very close to the little boy so she would be emotional.

Can anything explain david tennant's appearance?

And if a police person was close to a victim, they shouldn't be on the case.
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, someone mentioned the Dorset accents earlier. I'm from Dorset and I thought they were not good. It was generic acted West Country but more Wiltshire/Bristol. There's a lot of difference
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but once again, spoilt by the awful background music. Why they do that I will never know.
    An impressive amount of famous faces in there.
    I have not been through all the thread but did I imagine it when the boy had blood dripping from his hands? I thought they said he was strangled.
    I gave up after the Third Piano Solo, about 20 mins in.

All totally surreal/unbelievable imo.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation - it appeared to be a cryptogram! I'm afraid there are millions of us who don't watch dr who at all these days. Though I was an avid fan when they first appeared on TV, with William Hartnell.

Can anything explain david tennant's appearance?

And if a police person was close to a victim, they shouldn't be on the case.

Lol - I was trying to not clutter up the thread with references to another show, but at the same time thought I wouldn't be the only one to notice, so I was trying to be 'subtle' whilst not being totally irrelevant! Oh, if only I had the kind of brain that really could create cryptograms!

I didn't watch Mayday, so I can't compare them. Not sure if that's better or worse from the point of view of reviewing Broadchurch!
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I don't see a great deal wrong with Tennants appearance in this. He has a beard, albeit a short one, but they are not forbidden in the police and he's not scruffy. I'm not sure what others are getting at, perhaps I'm missing something?

I do however see something wrong in the Olivia Coleman character working on the case when she knew the boy and knows the family well, but I'm guessing this may become central to the plot.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did notice that the beach was supposed to be closed, in fact the lady in the hotel asked when it would open again, yet an earlier shot showed groups of people sat on the beach just next to the crime 'tent' and tape.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I did notice that the beach was supposed to be closed, in fact the lady in the hotel asked when it would open again, yet an earlier shot showed groups of people sat on the beach just next to the crime 'tent' and tape.

I noticed that and thought how macabre, although I don't doubt it happens the way some people are.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I don't see a great deal wrong with Tennants appearance in this. He has a beard, albeit a short one, but they are not forbidden in the police and he's not scruffy. I'm not sure what others are getting at, perhaps I'm missing something?

He has his top button undone the whole time, even when on tv and at the press conference, (next to his boss who is very smart in her uniform). I would have thought he would at least do the button up and tighten his tie?
  • Options
    GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all the hype I found myself reading my kindle instead of watching. 7 more eps yet!! Liking Mayday thou.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Wow, a village where everyone gets on.
    Bit of a stark contrast to those miserable weirdos in Mayday last night! :D

...or the freaks in that recent disaster 'The Town':)
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night thought it was a bit slow but I quite like David Tennant:p

But every now and then he would says something and Id expect him to say hes the Dr :D

When it ended my hisband said whens it on again thats usually a sign of hes not going to watch it next week :rolleyes:looks ike Im going to have to sky+ it.
  • Options
    Mazrim TaimMazrim Taim Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    filming locations for this also include clevedon in bristol and portished aswell ,i think i was good ill certainly keep watching, i have also been watching mayday which i also think has been ok so far

Clevedon and Portishead are in North Somerset. They are not and have never been in Bristol. :mad:
  • Options
    Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Clevedon and Portishead are in North Somerset. They are not and have never been in Bristol. :mad:

oh i am sorry but the post should have actually said clevedon AND Bristol and Portished not in Bristol !!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    k1993dk1993d Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed this drama last night, probably because i spent most the time looking into David Tennants eyes, but anyway...

Im just a bit confused about the reporter lady who stole the cuddly toy. I mean why would she do that? and why did Tennants boss ask him if he was sure about taking the case? Is there a link to the reporter lady and DT? She was very eager to report the crime. maybe she and DT had a previous relationship and a child that maybe passed away?
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    k1993d wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed this drama last night, probably because i spent most the time looking into David Tennants eyes, but anyway...

Im just a bit confused about the reporter lady who stole the cuddly toy. I mean why would she do that? and why did Tennants boss ask him if he was sure about taking the case? Is there a link to the reporter lady and DT? She was very eager to report the crime. maybe she and DT had a previous relationship and a child that maybe passed away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadchurch
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    k1993d wrote: »

I don't know why she took the toy- asked the same earlier in the thread.

It's a bit of stretch to to say that they've had a relationship and a child, I didn't get that from it, although I suppose anythings possible.

I think that it's more likely that he's has made a mistake (professionally) and it's something that she has been reporting on/following. This was referred to twice; once when his superior officer questioned whether it was wise for him to take on the case and also the reporter herself said something like 'I can't believe that he's got this case after what happened at *placename*'.

So, seems as if he's been a naughty boy somewhere, somehow...but not with the reporter....yet;)
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

You're absolutely right. Alas, a lot of DS viewers think great acting is the overwrought screeching and snotty bellowing they do on EastEnders.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wife was the same person who was in Marchlands as the mother of Alice (I think anyway)

Yes. Jodie Whittaker played the '60s mother in Marchlands. (Anne Reid played the older, present-day version.)

And I do like the look of the young male journalist:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a massive David Tennant fan I had to tune in and so glad I did, it was an unmissable drama in my opinion and can not wait for the next episode!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem I had with this is the mother seems too young to have a 15 year old daughter. If this is intentional then fair enough, maybe linking in with her own daughter running off with a older lad etc...but didn't sit quite right to me.

Also the fathers reaction, I know he's holding it in, but it's all a bit too distanced, no emotion at all, again maybe intentional, he has something to hide, but if so it's over played.

Apart from them two minor points I really enjoyed it and will be watching next week. Nice to see Tennant is something like this, been under used as a tv actor due to his dr who connection.
This discussion has been closed.