Options

BBC News channel relaunch - Broadcasting house 2012

Comments

• Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Indeed, I checked too!! I think from what I've read over on the TV Forum is that it's being dual run at present - world weather on BBC World News (with new graphics) all from NBH and domestic weather for domestic output + BBC News still in TVC. They are probably doing a bit of a soft trial using World for the new weather facilities prior to letting it loose on the domestic output.

I'm now thinking that we might have to wait until the 18th to see the whole new studios, in HD and with new graphics, as it will likely be this date it all moves for the 1,6, 10 and BBC News - unless anyone else knows differently?

thats the impression i got
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Indeed, I checked too!! I think from what I've read over on the TV Forum is that it's being dual run at present - world weather on BBC World News (with new graphics) all from NBH and domestic weather for domestic output + BBC News still in TVC. They are probably doing a bit of a soft trial using World for the new weather facilities prior to letting it loose on the domestic output.
    Yes, that would be a sensible move.

And I'd agree about the 18th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, on the assumption that Carol was broadcasting from the normal BBC Weather studio/broom cupboard, yes, they haven't moved just yet

so BBC weather will get a new studio too at NBH?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i trust comic relief are in studio 1 next friday?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ingest points are where tapes from cameras are fed into servers. At that point the footage can be edited on desktop computers.

Tapes? Surely they aren't planning to use tape in NBH?
    What's the point of HD for this channel?

They use YouTube wherever they can to avoid paying royalties on archive footage, and they use web cams for pieces from foreign correspondents to save cash.

Broadcast quality on rolling news is lower than we used to get in the 70s.

I don't remember there being much rolling news in the seventies. I do remember stuff being shot on film and often taking two days to get back to London.

Viewers expect immediacy these days, and that means sometimes you have to use low-bandwidth methods.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    so BBC weather will get a new studio too at NBH?

See posts 43, 44 and 50.
  • Options
    comdydave2wincomdydave2win Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh hope it looks stunning
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they update the News channel countdown - half the people on it no longer work for the BBC !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    See posts 43, 44 and 50.

right ok
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I hope they update the News channel countdown - half the people on it no longer work for the BBC !
    They already have updated some of the countdown to cut out former employees.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect the new ones won't look to dissimilar to this:

http://youtu.be/6_UrdL74Bns
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i.imgur.com/DSZaTry.jpg

BBC news channel relaunch from New Broadcasting House from 18th March 2013. Above link to picture of new studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    I suspect the new ones won't look to dissimilar to this:

http://youtu.be/6_UrdL74Bns

Or:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blj8X9mrTN4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The link you featured is a mash up of the different BBC World News countdowns to emphasise the lightbeam effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alikhan wrote: »

BBC news channel relaunch from New Broadcasting House from 18th March 2013. Above link to picture of new studio.

i'm impressed:)
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alikhan wrote: »

Oh! Looks good. A big step forward on the current set.

I think this change should really help BBC News. It's feeling dated at the moment.

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I hope they overhaul the theme altogether, the silly throbbing beats have had their day. The BBC News graphics look quite dated now.

I'm hoping for something along the line of Sky News' theme and intro.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think that set looks awful. The current look for BBC News is dreadful and looks so dated. Their graphics are also very plain and look cheap. I would have thought a move to a new HD studio would have brought in a fresh new look, not an exaggeration of the already boring existing look.
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just swoop by and have a rant about something I heard on BBC news last night, please?

There was a report about the number of deer in this country and the effect it's having on the environment, and the reporter said "there are way too many deer in the UK".

Way too many? Way? We are not in flippin' America, this is the UK. The word he should have used was "far". I know I'm being pedantic and language evolves (blah blah blah :yawn:), but it really jarred with me. I don't expect the news to still be read in the old-fashioned BBC accent by blokes in dinner jackets and bow ties, but I don't want them speaking in street slang or Americanisms either.

OK, rant over, I'll leave you in peace now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Looks good, any idea when BBC News/BBC World will be moving to New BH ?

I hear BBC Breakfast will be moving to Salford during Easter.

breakfast went to salford last easter
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    wbm00 wrote: »
    I hope they overhaul the theme altogether, the silly throbbing beats have had their day. The BBC News graphics look quite dated now.

I'm hoping for something along the line of Sky News' theme and intro.

Would you like the Sky 'whoosh' as well which says 'we are very clever, we will hear from someone not in the studio.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Can I just swoop by and have a rant about something I heard on BBC news last night, please?

There was a report about the number of deer in this country and the effect it's having on the environment, and the reporter said "there are way too many deer in the UK".

Way too many? Way? We are not in flippin' America, this is the UK. The word he should have used was "far". I know I'm being pedantic and language evolves (blah blah blah :yawn:), but it really jarred with me. I don't expect the news to still be read in the old-fashioned BBC accent by blokes in dinner jackets and bow ties, but I don't want them speaking in street slang or Americanisms either.

OK, rant over, I'll leave you in peace now.

Phone or email NewsWatch!
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Phone or email NewsWatch!

Thanks, I might do that. Though, from what I've seen from letters to the Radio Times, the standard response when anyone complains to the BBC is basically "Thanks for your comment but we're right, you're wrong, and your opinion means nothing. Tough luck."

Also, I have a fear of turning into "Angry from Tunbridge Wells" in my old age! :D
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    breakfast went to salford last easter

Indeed they did. But the quote you quoted :eek: was from last February - so it was still in the future then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Indeed they did. But the quote you quoted :eek: was from last February - so it was still in the future then :D

did i ? i must of been drunk:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trails advertising the change to NBH start just before 10am on Monday morning on BBC News Channel, subject to breaking news, according to BBC insiders.