Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't murder suspects normally remanded in custody in the UK? Apparently, they are in SA too, but money talks.

Yes, they are!
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    If as reported Oscar is selling off his assets to pay his legal fees and PR spindoctors could that increase the risk of him skipping the country due to having less fixed assets?

Could he need to go abroad for treatment or have new artifical legs fitted?

I personally believe the story is all spin. Judging by his personal wealth and that of his family, I think it's too early to be disposing off assets to raise funds.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as for him 'being suicidal', well that's just another carefully vetted release to the media to garner sympathy and that Pistorius is a 'broken man'. Well, at least he's still alive, which is more than can be said for his victim.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical but being suicidal doesn't equate with wanting his passport back, most experiencing deep depression can't even get dressed of a day let along travel out of the country :confused: I'd bloody make sure he stays away from booze (and any weapons that may be in reach). Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't murder suspects normally remanded in custody in the UK? Apparently, they are in SA too, but money talks.

Thanks for that. I suspected they were remanded but wasn't too sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    In England he would not have been given bail. If however by some bizarre miracle of fate he was released, the bail conditions would have been extremely stringent (daily reporting to a police station, residence at a different address, no contact with prosecution witnesses, surrender of passport, maybe even curfew). Aside from the no alcohol condition which is unusual in England, all other conditions are pretty standard and quite lenient by our standards.

Thanks for the info, appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If as reported Oscar is selling off his assets to pay his legal fees and PR spindoctors could that increase the risk of him skipping the country due to having less fixed assets?

Could he need to go abroad for treatment or have new artifical legs fitted?

Not sure but I would have imagined the defence would have raised that when the bail conditions were being sorted?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,036
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    I personally believe the story is all spin. Judging by his personal wealth and that of his family, I think it's too early to be disposing off assets to raise funds.

I did find it suprising considering he was supposed to be buying a £300k McLaren.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find it suprising considering he was supposed to be buying a £300k McLaren.

Wasn't that ordered a while back though (think I read it was a reward to himself for his Olympics success) - maybe he was relying on his endorsements to pay for it....either that or he's stockpiling his money to do a runner (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As others have said, it is rare for people charged with murder to get bail.

Those that do will have severe bail conditions imposed, and if it is suspected they are likely to breach them, they can be arrested, and placed back in custody.

I think that with Pistorious's actions re challenging all his bail condtions, there are reasonable grounds to believe he is likely to breach some, if not all of them.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Best make up a packed lunch and a thermos just in case.

I'm not sure I can face listening to all that stuff again. He should have a quick hearing, refuse the appeal, and stick him straight back into custody.

He is likely to breach any of the conditions, and if he is a suicide risk too, then he can be remanded for his own safety.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    On BBC 3 tonight there is a programme called. Oscar Pistorious: What really happened?

Typical that it clashes with 2 other programmes! Is the the first showing or has it been on before?

Seems odd to be on BBC3 :confused:
  • Options
    LibrarywitchLibrarywitch Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291505/Oscar-Pistorius-girlfriend-Reeva-Steenkamp-met-ex-just-2-days-killed.html

I think what I find interesting here is that her ex-boyfriend says that in the 5 years they were together, he'd never known her to lock the bathroom door...
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,036
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    On BBC 3 tonight there is a programme called. Oscar Pistorious: What really happened?

Typical that it clashes with 2 other programmes! Is the the first showing or has it been on before?

Seems odd to be on BBC3 :confused:

First showing, being BBC 3 it's bound to be repeated.

Here we are...

Tues 12 Mar at 00:30
    Wed 13 Mar at 20:00
    Thur 14 Mar at 01:45
  • Options
    curleys wifecurleys wife Posts: 3,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291505/Oscar-Pistorius-girlfriend-Reeva-Steenkamp-met-ex-just-2-days-killed.html

I think what I find interesting here is that her ex-boyfriend says that in the 5 years they were together, he'd never known her to lock the bathroom door...

...sorry, what exactly is being inferred here?
    (The article actually says he 'could not remember' her locking the door - which is slightly different.)
  • Options
    LibrarywitchLibrarywitch Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    ...sorry, what exactly is being inferred here?
    (The article actually says he 'could not remember' her locking the door - which is slightly different.)

I just think its weird that he evidently knows her very well after 5 years together and he doesn't recll her locking the bathroom door so its evidently something out of the ordinary for her or he'd have remembered that it wa her normal behaviour. So maybe she locked the door that particular night to protect herself from OP. No proof of course, but like most things on this thread, its just supposition!
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky News' Alex Crawford reporting that OP's spokesman deny he is suicidal. He is traumatized and a broken man and that he spends his time reading the Bible, being the "deeply religious person" that he is!

She confirms he wants to be able to travel more freely around Pretoria and leave the country with prior permission.

Barry Bateman tweeting he is selling his home where the killing took place.
  • Options
    curleys wifecurleys wife Posts: 3,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think its weird that he evidently knows her very well after 5 years together and he doesn't recll her locking the bathroom door so its evidently something out of the ordinary for her or he'd have remembered that it wa her normal behaviour. So maybe she locked the door that particular night to protect herself from OP. No proof of course, but like most things on this thread, its just supposition!

Fair enough :)

It could also be that as they were together for five years, she became less self conscious about such things - OP and RS hadn't been together all that long- and he simply can't remember what she did in the first few months.

Or that you're right, locking the door wasn't her usual habit, but when/if she heard OP shout there was someone in the house, she reacted by locking herself in.
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    That should be interesting. I wonder how long Nair will take this time before announcing his verdict :o
    Man alive, he sure liked the sound of his own voice last time didn't he. Best bring a picnic :eek:
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe the arrogance of him and his defense team. A woman is dead, he is charged with murder, and he thinks he should be given his passport back so he can travel overseas? It's breathtaking arrogance. He should be held on remand, not living a life of luxury with his family. Sickening.
    BIB - absolutely. It smacks of spoilt rich boy wanting his own way, and not taking responsibility for his actions...Reeva's poor family must be crushed.

I can just see this whole bail conditions hearing and then the trial being an absolute farce.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also sorry for Pistorius's family. I bet he's no fun to live with right now, especially if he's going a bit stir-crazy.
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »
    BIB - absolutely. It smacks of spoilt rich boy wanting his own way, and not taking responsibility for his actions...Reeva's poor family must be crushed.

I can just see this whole bail conditions hearing and then the trial being an absolute farce.

I agree. I'm afraid that if he gets any of the bail restrictions lifted then this will be a sign for what's to come - he'll either get off with it or his sentence will be a joke.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, accused of killing his girlfriend, may be "on the verge of suicide", a close family friend has told the BBC.

The sportsman was a "broken man" after rising legal costs forced him to sell his belongings, Mike Azzie said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21739320

Sounds like it's the money he's mourning :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a murder suspect out on bail now wants the chance to holiday to relieve his stress? :confused::mad:
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    So a murder suspect out on bail now wants the chance to holiday to relieve his stress? :confused::mad:

Well, it's understandable, isn't it? After all, killing an innocent person by shooting them 3 times is bound to be a bit stressful. I mean, who wouldn't need a holiday?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Dear me, if I were in his position I'd just be grateful I wasn't in prison right now. I read a while back that people have cossetted him, I'm beginning to feel that he is precious.
    So precious he thought he could get away with murder by relying on his family/hangers on to get him out of it?
This discussion has been closed.