Options

Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    I was desperate for him to die and was really hoping it was all in Ste's head. Death is an epic ending. Prison is not. People say they didn't want him killed off - so on the off chance he'll return? Meh.

And I hate that he's basically suffering a living death in prison now. I don't think it was the right ending at all. Hated it.

Well let's see if they make Jacqui's exit the hatrick of disappointing exits.

I don't think that's the main reason, it's just that some fans just don't like their character being killed off regardless if they come back or not.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,665
    Forum Member
    I think what everyone is forgetting is that Brendan was a terrible man. yes he was charismatic and fantastic but the crux of the story is that he is a mass murderer, he should be punished. i think the saving of it is that he did it for himself and for cheryl.
    No, he did it for Cheryl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?!!! Rubbish :mad: Warren was brilliant in Hollyoaks! One of the best characters of all time!

There we will have to disagree. I found his acting to be horrendous.

Seriously when you think about Brendan, and the sheer brilliance of the actor who played him, Warren was just a bad panto villain by comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a terrible exit for Brendan. I'm so gutted I hardly even know what to say.

Yesterday - epic, immense, moving. Today? Absolute sh*te.

Oh well, Emmett was an amazing person for HO to get in the first place. Brendan was an amazing character. I'll remember him as having died on that balcony. He deserved the epic final moment that everyone would always remember. Sadly, didn't get it. They totally bottled it. I guess they're desperate for people to hang on, thinking Emmett might come back one day, but ... he really won't.

I wished it had all been in Ste's head. I wished Brendan would even break out at the last moment. I wished Cheryl would hand herself in and not exit being a selfish cow. But you can't always get what you want. Ugh.

I'm always baffled at how people state with assurance that Emmett won't come back, the fact he said so in his interviews or better he just said he preferred not to play it safe doesn't mean he can foresee his own future. He doesn't know if he'll be succesful, he doesn't know if he'll change his mind, he doesn't know if he would do Kieron and the writers the favour to come back for his exit (even just a few epsiodes) and more important we all don't know any of that. The fact at the end he broke the "I won't play safe" rule shoudl be enough to understand you can't rule things out so easily.

I don't think people would hang on in the hope to see Brendan again, if that was their idea then it won't work. People would just tune in again if they were sure he came back., until then I imagine they will just switch off
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Well said.

BIB - even if Emmett was willing to return someday I wouldn't want him to, I wouldn't trust whoever the EP is to do the character justice. Would only tarnish a great character.

Emmett's always been incredibly loyal to HO, and so sweet about it. But I hope he never comes back. He's way WAY too good for it, even if he can't see it. The mess that was tonight proved that. It honestly made me cringe. Ste was heartbreaking. The rest, Cheryl particularly, was cack-handed crap. So, so disappointing. But good luck to Emmett, I hope he gets something amazing, far far away from Lime Productions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »
    but this would have been years later. liberty is only a teenager while dodger and sienna are in their mid 20s, so if she went back to the blakes then surely sienna would have known her in some capacity.

What would have been years later? Sienna did know her, I remember her talking about Anna coming back. Anna left the Savages when Dodger was six or seven, and we don't know how long she was with Patrick before she left again/was hospitalised. If it was only a few months that explains her not recognising Sienna.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobsicle wrote: »
    There we will have to disagree. I found his acting to be horrendous.

Seriously when you think about Brendan, and the sheer brilliance of the actor who played him, Warren was just a bad panto villain by comparison.

Ok, we will definitely have to agree to disagree on that one! :) Warren was excellent, the character who got me back into Hollyoaks after a long hiatus. He was great, a villain with a heart, and a back story (remember all the stuff about his foster family?) - and that's what made him irresistible. I was so gripped by the love story between him & Louise, it was amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am I the only one thinking Brendan could start therapy in prison and have finally the help he needs?

Are we sure there aren't other twists tomorrow like him escaping?
  • Options
    bonyo0030bonyo0030 Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmett and kieron are very good friends and Emmett as always been very surpotive of stendan,he said brendan loves ste ste loves brendan end of,he said brendan will not be the character he is without ste,he said brendan is always going to love ste that is never going to change nor should it.am conviced emmett left the door open not so he can come back to reprise the role one day but so he can be there for kieron exit when he is ready to leave one day.
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, just home from work and shall catch up with your posts shortly.

Well...

Only HO could get something so right one day and then completely screw it all up the next day. Wednesday E4 episode was perfect. It would have been one of the best exits in soap history - what amazing 'final words'. It made me so proud to be a HO viewer and I'd have looked back on it fondly for years.

BUT no, typical HO just can't bring themselves to let go of a good thing.

I feel like the show has genuinely let down the viewers, Emmett (an actor who showed such wonderful loyalty to the show) and the character. We all deserved better than that thoroughly predictable and completely lackluster effort.

Horrible anti-climax, it was almost as though the show was making a fool of Brendan... Making his final confession thinking he was finally going to die and be free of all his demons, but no he wakes up in hospital with the knowledge he's off to prison for the rest of his life along with his emotional baggage. I genuinely feel embarrassed for the character and Emmett having to play it out.

Terrible.

Not all bad though! Amy and the kids, what a wonderful touch.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish I hadn't watched the E4 episode. The balcony scene, for me that was his exit. The fallout would have been so much better and it would have fitted the tragedy of the character to die protecting his sister like he has done since childhood.
  • Options
    Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmett's always been incredibly loyal to HO, and so sweet about it. But I hope he never comes back. He's way WAY too good for it, even if he can't see it. The mess that was tonight proved that. It honestly made me cringe. Ste was heartbreaking. The rest, Cheryl particularly, was cack-handed crap. So, so disappointing. But good luck to Emmett, I hope he gets something amazing, far far away from Lime Productions.

I'm so glad you said that. Yes, that was a mess and was crap. They turned a fitting Shakespearean end into a farce for a cheap 'OMG he's alive' moment. He finally found peace and was waiting for Ste in a 'next life' and then they pissed all over it.
    I'm disappointed that Emmett actually filmed that. I love the guy but I don't think that was a fair ending for Brendan or Stendan or the fans.
  • Options
    Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collybird wrote: »
    Evening all, just home from work and shall catch up with your posts shortly.

Well...

Only HO could get something so right one day and then completely screw it all up the next day. Wednesday E4 episode was perfect. It would have been one of the best exits in soap history - what amazing 'final words'. It made me so proud to be a HO viewer and I'd have looked back on it fondly for years.

BUT no, typical HO just can't bring themselves to let go of a good thing.

I feel like the show has genuinely let down the viewers, Emmett (an actor who showed such wonderful loyalty to the show) and the character. We all deserved better than that thoroughly predictable and completely lackluster effort.

Horrible anti-climax, it was almost as though the show was making a fool of Brendan... Making his final confession thinking he was finally going to die and be free of all his demons, but no he wakes up in hospital with the knowledge he's off to prison for the rest of his life along with his emotional baggage. I genuinely feel embarrassed for the character and Emmett having to play it out.

Terrible.

Not all bad though! Amy and the kids, what a wonderful touch.

Thank you for saying that. It's exactly what I thought too. I'm really disappointed and feel disbelief and if it was April Fool's day I would feel so much better lol. And I'm being serious!
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,665
    Forum Member
    Brendan is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison, which is exactly what Walker wanted. Why, Hollyoaks, why let Walker triumph over Brendan?
  • Options
    emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit I didn't get was when Anna was looking at photos, she asked who dodger was and someone said that's dodger. She looked confused until she was told it was Marc. So she obviously never knew him as dodger? But then when he was talking about when she left he said something like 'dad said, dodge she's gone' so his dad called him dodger but his mum had never heard it? Sorry I know it's only silly and I might be mistaken but little things like that bug me lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    Brendan is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison, which is exactly what Walker wanted. Why, Hollyoaks, why let Walker triumph over Brendan?
    It's in keeping with his life long bad luck.

Also it's probably not the proper end. He'll be back when Ste leaves, I'm sure of it, else they probably would have killed him off.
    The bit I didn't get was when Anna was looking at photos, she asked who dodger was and someone said that's dodger. She looked confused until she was told it was Marc. So she obviously never knew him as dodger? But then when he was talking about when she left he said something like 'dad said, dodge she's gone' so his dad called him dodger but his mum had never heard it? Sorry I know it's only silly and I might be mistaken but little things like that bug me lol.
    I expect 'Dodge, she's gone' was paraphrasing.
  • Options
    Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    On the plus side, I'm saying it again, Saskia Wickham is an incredible actress, her facial expression during the scene in the van that was taking her back to the hospital with Patrick sent shivers down my spine, Anna is a brilliant character and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the story.

Really? I think she's absolutely terrible :o
  • Options
    Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am VERY happy they didn't kill Brendan off. I absolutely LOVE his character and I cling onto the hope he may return in the future. Ste's scenes at the hospital had me bawling like a baby.

The only thing that ruined it for me was the ending with Cheryl and Nate in the sports car. One minute she was in tears and the next she was dolled up throwing he scarf out of the car. Even if they filmed that scene before they knew what was going to happen they could have at least done a couple more endings for her depending on what happened to Brendan.
    Sloppy writing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I think what everyone is forgetting is that Brendan was a terrible man. yes he was charismatic and fantastic but the crux of the story is that he is a mass murderer, he should be punished. i think the saving of it is that he did it for himself and for cheryl.

Was he a mass murderer? He intentionally killed 2 people. He didn't mean to drop Joel's dad did he? I can't quite remember. Plus, he didn't actually kill him, Walker did. I don't think killing 2 people counts as mass murder. Not defending him however, just not sure on the definition.
  • Options
    tootdelafruittootdelafruit Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Was he a mass murderer? He intentionally killed 2 people. He didn't mean to drop Joel's dad did he? I can't quite remember. Plus, he didn't actually kill him, Walker did. I don't think killing 2 people counts as mass murder. Not defending him however, just not sure on the definition.

I was saying in another thread that the only murder they can probably pin on him for sure is Danny Houston and even that's a stretch! Nana would've had lung cancer-related reasons, Joel's dad was chopped up and assume destroyed, Walker was kind of self-defencey and if they took one look at the club CCTV (come on! it's been used for snogging-related offences before, it's definitely there!) they'd figure he didn't kill Seamus.

While he's done terrible things, yeah I'm not sure you'd call him a mass murderer.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweety Pie wrote: »
    I for one am VERY happy they didn't kill Brendan off. I absolutely LOVE his character and I cling onto the hope he may return in the future. Ste's scenes at the hospital had me bawling like a baby.

The only thing that ruined it for me was the ending with Cheryl and Nate in the sports car. One minute she was in tears and the next she was dolled up throwing he scarf out of the car. Even if they filmed that scene before they knew what was going to happen they could have at least done a couple more endings for her depending on what happened to Brendan.
    Sloppy writing.

I too am very happy they didn`t kill him off. I like the idea of him being able to come back even though that is very unlikely to happen. wouldn`t mind a spin off though with him and warren in prison. that would be cool.

Also Hollyoaks production company Lime Pictures have approached him to lead a new series. he`s gonna be in such demand.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,330
    Forum Member

Oh, only 2? that's quite alright then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Oh, only 2? that's quite alright then.

:rolleyes:

Why are you twisting what I said? You're making it sound like I wrote, "He only killed 2 people intentionally, so that's ok". I didn't. I said he killed 2 people, which doesn't count as mass murder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Last night's E4 was a bit of a let down in terms of Brendan's exit. But Ste's emotional scenes made it not so bad and I think Cheryl's last bit with Nate driving off in the car was a bit too happy. They still could've had them driving off but Cheryl should've still been sad. Also, Cheryl surely would've said goodbye to people like Nancy before she left.

The thing that annoyed me was how they tried to cram in too much stuff in one episode. They had Brendan's and Cheryl's exit, the Savage drama, Nancy and Darren's money issues, and Browning telling Myra about Mercedes (which didn't get the impact that they were probably aiming for because of all other stuff going on).
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I think she's absolutely terrible :o

Totally disagree, have found the acting brilliant.
This discussion has been closed.