Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's so many angles they could take with this - the supernatural one is a really good theory and i'd love something like that. I think the way the show has been made is quite realistic so maybe that's not the route they'll go down but it would be an amazing curve ball.

I still think its some sort of child abuse ring, if we connect all the fishy characters you can certainly pair them up into something like that.

it still doesn't explain the relevance of the drugs though, altho that might just be a red herring. I think both Danny and tom's dads are involved somehow, and I think either Tom did it or was witness to it but there are so many involved that he's petrified to even be linked to it which explains all the deleting etc. altho when they inevitably go through his hard drive I'm sure more will unravel.

I'd also suggest that David tennants dodgy health will result in him getting thrown off the case but perhaps he will get to the bottom of it anyway, being the only outsider involved he's pretty much the only person ruthless enough to solve the case.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    The problem with the paedo ring idea is that is where we are gently being led .. with four hours to go.

So it's not that. IMO.

I wonder if the show has a wider point to make, hence attracting this cast. It might, for example, have much more to say about media - as, in the real world, politicians continue to debate Leveson.

You can certainly see the media story arc has been carefully integrated from the very start and continues to emerge (local to national) as a major theme in the overall story.

We also have one 'hidden past' - the old boy, with Pauline Quirke's lined up. Then the baby bump will emerge - possibly involving a paternity story, the husbands affair, etc, etc.

So plenty of potentially 'meaty' - family and community destroying - tabloid stories have been sketched in ...
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its Ellie's husband too. However If it is then ITV could hardly do another series which they might want to consider if this series is getting good viewers.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    The problem with the paedo ring idea is that is where we are gently being led .. with four hours to go.

So it's not that. IMO.

I wonder if the show has a wider point to make, hence attracting this cast. It might, for example, have much more to say about media - as, in the real world, politicians continue to debate Leveson.

You can certainly see the media story arc has been carefully integrated from the very start and continues to emerge (local to national) as a major theme in the overall story.

I'd agree with that. It's most likely a red herring at this halfway stage.

Although the wider point might also be even wider in that the media then begin to lead the investigation, rally the mob, and because we are being led down the peado road, they target and destroy the wrong person. Old sins, and all that...

It could also be a play on paranoia about stranger danger, how our fears about this are now driven and fuelled by the media, versus the fact that stats confirm that a child is just as safe now as s/he ever was, and most at risk closer to home.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    It's now looking like a kind of child abuse ring starting to take shape. The Pauline Quirke photo with the sea cadets, along with the old newsagent guy, and her comment that she knows men who would rape you, the skateboard in her caravan, etc.

The baldy guy who works with the dad, maybe he was abused and became an abuser, and perhaps the minister was also abused and he now forms part of the ring. They're roughly about the same age, and so could have been abused as kids together. They've became part of the ring, and these people still have control over them.

I hope it's not going to turn out that the baldy guy who works with the father did it, as that's too close to The Killing.

Not totally given up on the supernatural theme, though, - Tennant keeps collapsing when taking pills and now drink, and that's perhaps how he topped himself after his last case.

Pauline Quirke's the evil one, an agent of the devil trying to capture their souls, and Tennant collapsed just shortly after she walked past him with her dog and wished him a good night. Also, when Quirke met the baldy guy, she said we're connected, me and you, so you can't avoid me. She wants him too, whatever he did.

The minister looking out over the town at four in the morning. His sermon to the community about 'we are perplexed, but not driven to despair. Hunted down, but never destroyed, never abandoned by God. The hardest thing for us to remember is we have not been abandoned by God. We are not destroyed, nor will we be.' The minister repeats these 'hunted, destroyed, not abandoned' themes a couple of times, with practically all the community there, except Quirke. She can't enter a church.

And psychic telephone guy who's also trying to lead them in the right direction, went into a strop out in his van when it looked like he'd failed in his quest to convince them. He's on a mission, is on the same side as the minister.
    Maybe they're not all dead. But those that are are recalling their former lives and creating their present reality around it, as the battle rages for their souls. That last shot of the landscape, spooky and ominous; portent of a disaster that's already happened.

BB's - The same thought crossed my mind. I'm finding a lot of similarities to The Killing - wish I wasn't.

I'm not convinced that there's anything supernatural going on. Sinister? Yes.
    Wasn't it pure coincidence that Quirke's character (can't remember her name) was walking past at the same time Tennant was entering the hotel? She was on her way home after 'visiting' the newspaper editor.
    Her 'relationship with the bald plumber is very intriguing, though. Can't wait to find out more.

Quirke did enter the Church. I'm sure I saw her there.

Steve the Psychic is furious that he's being ignored...lol

He's STILL my no1 suspect. BUT, If he's not Danny's murderer, then I think that all his 'psychic powers' are coming from telephone conversations he's overheard. He can't reveal them officially, because he's been listening to them illegally...something like that.
    Tom's dad is my suspect no2.

I'm curious as to why Tom deleted Danny's texts and what he'd written.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB's - The same thought crossed my mind. I'm finding a lot of similarities to The Killing - wish I wasn't.

Wasn't it pure coincidence that Quirke's character (can't remember her name) was walking past at the same time Tennant was entering the hotel? She was on her way home after 'visiting' the newspaper editor.
    Her 'relationship with the bald plumber is very intriguing, though. Can't wait to find out more.

He's STILL my no1 suspect. BUT, If he's not Danny's murderer, then I think that all his 'psychic powers' are coming from telephone conversations he's overheard. He can't reveal them officially, because he's been listening to them illegally...something like that.

Yeye the psychic is my no. 2 suspect after Tom's Dad. Like he is faking it all so he can become famous and write a book like Ellie said he was trying to do.
  • Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm if the £500 was found in Dannys room or the sisters? I thought it was Dannys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Didnt Jack say he had only been in Broadchurch 5 years or so ?

I thought Jack told the police that he remembered the Latimers bringing Danny into his shop when Danny was just a baby?

Or maybe I imagined that...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Can someone confirm if the £500 was found in Dannys room or the sisters? I thought it was Dannys.

I think it was £500 under Danny's bed and the drugs in his sister's room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's so many angles they could take with this - the supernatural one is a really good theory and i'd love something like that. I think the way the show has been made is quite realistic so maybe that's not the route they'll go down but it would be an amazing curve ball.

I still think its some sort of child abuse ring, if we connect all the fishy characters you can certainly pair them up into something like that.

it still doesn't explain the relevance of the drugs though, altho that might just be a red herring. I think both Danny and tom's dads are involved somehow, and I think either Tom did it or was witness to it but there are so many involved that he's petrified to even be linked to it which explains all the deleting etc. altho when they inevitably go through his hard drive I'm sure more will unravel.

I'd also suggest that David tennants dodgy health will result in him getting thrown off the case but perhaps he will get to the bottom of it anyway, being the only outsider involved he's pretty much the only person ruthless enough to solve the case.

If Tom did kill Danny or witness the murder he would have deleted the messages before Ellie told him. He only did it when he found out Danny was dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think there's anything supernatural going on, either (I'm just hedging my bets :)), it's all probably just analogous to the good and evil struggle.

I taped it, so I'll need to look again to see if Quirke was in the church, but I can't recall seeing her.

It was coincidence that she was just passing by at that time, but the devil or his messenger would be inclined to contrive such a coincidence anyway. ;)

The bald plumber and her have more to reveal, agree with that. Let's hope it's not a big let down, because as you say it did sound pretty intriguing.

Psychic telephone guy seems to have wandered in from another drama on another channel, and somehow became lost on the Broadchurch set. I keep thinking Tennant's one time gonna say to him: they're all looking for you on Medium, wondering where you've got to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zydecocat wrote: »
    I thought Jack told the police that he remembered the Latimers bringing Danny into his shop when Danny was just a baby?

Yes, I remember him saying that and thinking it odd at the time.
    He said he'd come to Broadchurch to get away from his past. I thought that meant recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's anything supernatural going on, either (I'm just hedging my bets :)), it's all probably just analogous to the good and evil struggle.

I taped it, so I'll need to look again to see if Quirke was in the church, but I can't recall seeing her.

It was coincidence that she was just passing by at that time, but the devil or his messenger would be inclined to contrive such a coincidence anyway. ;)

I think I will too.:D I thought I saw her at the back somewhere...

I'd laugh if Quirke turns out to be some underground agent....:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember him saying that and thinking it odd at the time.
    He said he'd come to Broadchurch to get away from his past. I thought that meant recently.

Or he's dead? ;)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what is wrong with the detective. , I know he is dying, and he wants to close and solve the case before he dies..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    If Tom did kill Danny or witness the murder he would have deleted the messages before Ellie told him. He only did it when he found out Danny was dead.

I suppose, but he could have deleted them once he knew that news about the murder had come out?

I don't neccesarily think they're hinting at a paedophile ring - i think the only mention towards it has been this episode and the sole focus of it is on jack, we'll have to
    see how it progresses next week but you're right about it being too soon, if it's hinted towards anymore then I think we can rule it out.

there is also the possibility that jack had been abusing Tom and Danny, hence tom's apparent fear of jack, but that it had nothing to do with Danny's murder.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Further to my earlier post about the idea of media being central to the story ...

It was particularly interesting when the Herald reporter told Tennant she was going to make sure he didn't repeat the mistakes of the earlier case - effectively the tabloids policing the police for their own story-making purpose.

We have already had local media digging up the distant past on one resident - which will surely come to be seen as (a) a great waste of police time and (b) destroying someone who has contributed greatly to his community since arriving.

So I wonder if self-interested media hindering the investigation will also be a theme (the main media themes being destroying the family, as well as much of the sense of community).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch is losing its way and needs revitalizing, and why hasn't anyone found Danny's skateboard yet?.. someone look in the cupboard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or he's dead? ;)

Hahahaha. On second thoughts I'm beginning to wonder......
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    I don't see it going down a supernatural route well at least I hope it doesn't, that will be were I switch off
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »

Yes, it might, but it seems unrealistic that it is taking the media so long to take much of an interest in the story. What Karen said about the national media not being interested because "11 year old boys go missing all the time" didn't make much sense, since Danny isn't missing, he's dead. I would have thought the papers would have had a look at his Facebook etc pages right away and printed stuff from it. By now they would surely have got to headlines such as "Murdered Danny was illegally employed under age", "Murdered Danny's mum had first child at 15", etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ Abewest

You're right. Quirke wasn't in church. She was at the other meeting - the one where Tennant gave a talk. I got the two mixed up.:o
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    ...Seriously, somebody needs to post a guide to all the names.

There is this

DI Alec Hardy...David Tennant
    DS Ellie Miller…Olivia Colman
    Mark Latimer... Andrew Buchan
    Beth Latimer...Jodie Whittaker
    Karen White ...Vicky McClure
    Rev Paul Coates…Arthur Darvill
    Susan Wright... Pauline Quirke
    Steve Connelly…Will Mellor
    Maggie Radcliffe…Carolyn Pickles
    Joe Miller…Matthew Gravelle
    Becca Fisher...Simone McAullay
    Olly Stevens…Jonathan Bailey
    Danny Latimer...Oskar McNamara
    Chloe Latimer...Charlotte Beaumont
    Liz Roper…Susan Brown
    Tom Miller…Adam Wilson
    Nige Carter…Joe Sims
    Jack Marshall…David Bradley
    Dean Thomas...Jacob Anderson

It's taken from HERE where it was a big confusing as the text is mixed up unless you go to page 2 :D

Amethyzt wrote: »
    My guess is that Ollie will discover something relevant to the murder and will then be offered money to keep quiet....

He will need the money to help his mother, who seems to have debts ! and so he will not speak up with the info that he has

Good idea.

I'm enjoying the series.
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zydecocat wrote: »

Ah.......yes....... now you've said that, I am remembering the convo ........
    So ........ that would mean Jack has been there at least 11 years
    Which would mean his time with Susan ( or Elaine as she was back then ) and that photo with the Sea Cadets - in another town ? - is at least 12 years ago...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the list SolarSail.

I'm going out on a limb here. I think the £500 could have been Tom's and it was Tom who asked Danny to look after it for him.

There's also a possibility that Tom was the intended victim and not Danny.
This discussion has been closed.