Options

Another BBC Strike

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC journalists and BECTU staff start a 12 hour strike at 12noon today.

Like last time there was little publicity on their own news bulletins by BBC.

As they are working normally till 12 noon I suppose some well known names will have filed reports to be used later in day.

Chris Rogers (who always cashes in on such occassions) has tweeted along the lines of 'best I don't look at twitter tomorrow at least I'm out the country for a while after Friday'

Comments

• Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure we will all be able to cope, plenty of alternative news sources available.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so it's starts at 12 I knew they were to strike today but I thought it was strange that regulars like Steph appeared on Breakfast and the regional news wasn't dropped.

I'm surprised they didn't call it for 1pm given that if they did that it would have disrupted both today's lunchtime news on BBC1 and tomorrows.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    People will prob just think the Easter Schedules have started if there are shortened news bulletins
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recorded last night and this morning's news and weather bulletins and will play them back when they are on strike so I do not miss the news.

While there is a will, there's a way :D
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Vine is on Radio 2, he's always been off during strikes
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    BBC journalists and BECTU staff start a 12 hour strike at 12noon today.

Like last time there was little publicity on their own news bulletins by BBC.

As they are working normally till 12 noon I suppose some well known names will have filed reports to be used later in day.

Chris Rogers (who always cashes in on such occassions) has tweeted along the lines of 'best I don't look at twitter tomorrow at least I'm out the country for a while after Friday'
    There were a few mentions of the strike this morning across BBC output...
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Vine is on Radio 2, he's always been off during strikes

I don't know how the BBC works, but on the London Underground if a strike is called it often means 'complete your shift if you have started it' so if you go on air from 11am-2pm you don't walk off mid programme. That might be the case here. On News channel it's Ben Brown and Sophie Long- so on the face of it you wouldn't even know there was a strike at the moment.

Edit- Correction!!!

They did walk out at midday.

This is a recording of last hours news!!1

Unpresidented?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I don't know how the BBC works, but on the London Underground if a strike is called it often means 'complete your shift if you have started it' so if you go on air from 11am-2pm you don't walk off mid programme. That might be the case here. On News channel it's Ben Brown and Sophie Long- so on the face of it you wouldn't even know there was a strike at the moment.

Edit- Correction!!!

They did walk out at midday.

This is a recording of last hours news!!1

Unpresidented?

No.

Normally strikes start at midnight, when they repeat the 11pm newshour.
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, the BBC employees still hammering nails in their own coffin:)
    Does anyone else "Dare" to strike in the present industrial climate?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »

I wish more would.
  • Options
    g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Years (many!!!) ago I worked with (not for)a company who, having closed part of their factory making over 30,000 redundant, kept a small unit with about 300 people.

These twits went on strike to have a fellow worker reinstated, he'd been suspended. He had pulled out a VERY large knife and threatened a manager with it.

The manager had been stupid enough to point out that the guy had been in the 'smoke room' for a 'smoke break', (not a tea break) for over an hour.

OK they weren't journalists but I suspect BBC bunch have a similarly distorted view of their importance
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish more would.

Why, do strikes ever solve anything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I never watch BBC so it won't bother me, save, if the license fee pays the BBC staff salaries and unions deduct their membership fee from their salaries, aren't we, the license payers in fact funding the strike?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's a rather unique interpretation.

I suppose by that measure we are also funding their food, living expenses, cinema visits, National Lottery tickets, and anything else that they choose to spend their salary on.

Or maybe it's their money that they have already earned
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    There's cuts across the entirety of the BBC, not an ideal situation but you have to accept it and move on. What makes journalists think they're so special that they shouldn't be cut as well? There just wasting their time, the BBC have already said there's nothing they can do...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's a rather unique interpretation.

I suppose by that measure we are also funding their food, living expenses, cinema visits, National Lottery tickets, and anything else that they choose to spend their salary on.

So not only are we forced to fund BBC programming regardless of if we want it or not, we also have to fund the BBC when they chose not to make any?

Or maybe its my money, given to them against my will and they choose to have a couple of days off with it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martin153 wrote: »
    So not only are we forced to fund BBC programming regardless of if we want it or not, we also have to fund the BBC when they chose not to make any?
    Er, take a look at the BBC News Channel at the moment - we have programming.

Take a look at the 1pm News on BBC one - there was programming (for the full 30 mins).

So what's your issue? That some people, having earned their salary, choose to be a member of a union and pay a union sub out of money that they have earned?

Or are you simply anti-union or anti-LF?
    Or maybe its my money, given to them against my will and they choose to have a couple of days off with it.
    And they don't get paid for those days that they are on strike.

Maybe get your facts straight first, otherwise you might say something that looks foolish
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well they've never found a cure for the common cold so you could be onto something there.

If over things like working conditions and pay then it's about time someone stood up to the current practice of treating workers like shit, so yes I really do wish more would strike.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky's Colin Brazier seemed to be mocking the BBC earlier he was talking to Niall Paterson who was outside New Broadcasting house, plenty of smirks from Brazier including the comment "Don't go inside they might put you on air." and "the BBC are currently showing a recording of the 11am hour" smirk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never watch BBC so it won't bother me, save, if the license fee pays the BBC staff salaries and unions deduct their membership fee from their salaries, aren't we, the license payers in fact funding the strike?

Not really because if they didn't contribute to their union then the money would be spent on something else like food.

Do you object to feeding them?
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    So not only are we forced to fund BBC programming regardless of if we want it or not,
    we also have to fund the BBC when they chose not to make any?

Your time might be better spent in lobbying your MP for the abolition of Section 44 of the Royal Charter
    44. Communication with staff of the BBC

(1) The Trust and the Executive Board must each ensure that at all times they have in place suitable arrangements under which they (or their representatives) will, where appropriate—
    (a) consult BBC staff on all matters affecting the interests of those staff; and
    (b) seek to consult with any appropriate organisation with a view to maintaining or (as the case may be) establishing and maintaining adequate arrangements of the kind mentioned in paragraph (2).

(2) The arrangements are for—
    (a) the settlement by negotiation of the terms and conditions of BBC staff; and
    (b) the discussion of matters of mutual interest to the BBC and its staff, including— (i) the health, safety and welfare of such staff; (ii) equal opportunities and training (without cutting back on any specific
    obligations as to those matters set out in any Framework Agreement); and (iii) efficiency in the operation of the BBC’s services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »

His first two post suggest that
    Or play a proper advert and get rid of the antiquated stealth tax for a service I don't use

Voted BBC 1

Nothing original on it.. just a money pit that I object being forced to pay for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And they don't get paid for those days that they are on strike.
    Are you suggesting that the he who has withdrawn his labour gets no sustaining payment from the Trade Union
    or
    that the employer docks the pay?

If the latter, then it was (in my time) sometimes the case that the agreement between that two parties that eventually resolved the dispute ended with the inclusion of two clauses

no victimisation
    and
    no loss of pay

not always, but sometimes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They frequently lead to the resolution of the dispute between employer and employee;

if that is not a solution then what do you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Er, take a look at the BBC News Channel at the moment - we have programming.

Take a look at the 1pm News on BBC one - there was programming (for the full 30 mins).

Some of us are at work and I wouldn't choose to watch any BBC News output in any event. Perhaps the strikers are at home with their feet up (excluding the highly paid by the license payers union reps) watching some of the recordings.

Both actually, why do you have a problem with that?
    Maybe get your facts straight first, otherwise you might say something that looks foolish

As opposed to appearing arrogant you mean?