Options

most import thing about being in work?

Comments

• Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I do not have any friends, olny family I see is mum and dad ,my brother, sister in law, live too far same goes for my elderly nan and grandpa. rest of my family on my mums side I not saw in ten years ,on dads side in over 20 years,

Do you maintain eye contact with them?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it for the money.

But that's not the important thing.

I do it because I want to feel that I'm contributing to society. I also want to feel that I'm useful, that I'm helping and that what I'm doing is important even if it's in a small way.

There's honour in labour, and satisfaction for me, in helping.

I also love the craic, the cameraderie and the interactions generally.

My skill with people is the most important thing I have.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    I actually like my job. I only work three days a week though (and the pay is pretty good for the part of the country I live in) so I'm not sure how I'd feel if I worked five days a week (for me - those two extra days off are worth so much more than money.) Having said that - its in the private sector and a truly small company so there is NO job security whatsoever. I couldn't imagine though being out of work - it must be awful to have no purpose in life. I mean - without knowing what its like on work days - how can you possibly enjoy the days off?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    One thing I have found, Is I have dyspraxia. I am highly organised, except in new environments and struggle to remain organised in new environments., This has been a major barrier to employment(first impressions and all) So every temporary role I have had, they have got this impression of someone who is disorganised and it hasn't really helped me secure a long term role.

You appear to be suggesting that ricky transfers his social (eye contact etc) skills with his family to work situations. So can you not transfer your usual organisational skills to new work situations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    You appear to be suggesting that ricky transfers his social (eye contact etc) skills with his family to work situations. So can you not transfer your usual organisational skills to new work situations?

Its the enviornment, its getting the feel for the place, so no really.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not saying that he would be able to transfer his social skills to work situations, but given time in an work environment they will come.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I will work the hours in my contract ,so if it says 8 hours a day thats all I do.

Incentive and attitude to better yourself goes a very long way, employers pick up on this as should you yourself, are you trapping yourself through a negative attitude or can you display superior skills to better yourself to an employer? Attitude and thinking ahead is everything.:)
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Do you maintain eye contact with them?

With family but it is still hard.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Its the enviornment, its getting the feel for the place, so no really.
    I'm not saying that he would be able to transfer his social skills to work situations, but given time in an work environment they will come.

That is my point if you think given time that his social skills will emerge so by the same logic your organisational skills will emerge. :)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gives me something to do most days, bit of money and gets me out of the house and being sociable.

I think that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I also like the fact that in my department (I work in the accessories department in Debenhams) we have a bit of relative freedom to arrange things the way we want them.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To provide a good example to my children. I live in an area of high unemployment and low skill bases - many jobs are done by foreign workers because the locals think they are above them, even though they don't work at all! I work because I want my children to think that IT is the right thing to do.

I don't enjoy my job at all - I'm massively over-qualified for what I do and the work doesn't really engage me at all, but its all I can do at the moment due to logistics and child-care issues. But, a job is a job, and plenty of other people would love to have it, so I am grateful for it despite everything.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money, but I do like the organization.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has only been one job that I never liked going to - it was in retail and I couldnt ever do that type of job again!

My care work, its a sense of being the provider for someone so you do your job and you do it to the best of your ability because you are there to do what that person isnt able to and to make sure they're as comfortable as possible, I would come home knackered each night about 7pm and be up the next morning at 4, really tough job but it was something I actually enjoyed.

My job now, I work with a big bunch of people, mostly men! It's a nice enviroment most of the time and the fact that its a job that I do actually enjoy, I got a nice set of bosses, nice set of workmates and its not far from where I live so travel isnt a problem, Its a sense of at the end of the month I've earned my own money and that I dont have to rely on anyone else for money, I have been on job seekers twice in my life and it was such a degrading feeling for me to go and ask for benefits even though I've worked for most of my life and Ive put into the system I would do anything I can do to never be in the situation again.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    money, getting experience, learning new things, being respected, gets me out of the house and also my office crush ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is my point if you think given time that his social skills will emerge so by the same logic your organisational skills will emerge. :)

Except with every role being temporary I often have a limited opportunity to prove myself.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    A sense of pride in the work I do and the fact that I have earned my own money is very important to me.
    Yup. I wouldn't work if I wasn't being paid but equally I'd struggle to stay in a job that I didn't get a feeling of achievement from.
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the social contact aspect, the cameraderie of my workmates, the feeling I'm doing the right thing by supporting my family. Oh - and the money comes in useful too :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the thought of going to work, I dread it. But once I'm in and have my sleeves rolled up, I enjoy it, even if I would rather be at home. I like the interaction with others and feeling like I've earned rest at the weekend. I think it's just the commute I dislike. I think a 4 day week would be ideal but unfortunately that's unrealistic at the moment.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    having funny colleagues who you get on with is more important than wage for me.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its part of ones identity - if you ask someone to "tell them about themselves" they will typically respond with something like, "I am a teacher", or even "I am a retired teacher".

I work primarily for the money so I can live the lifestyle I want.

If money was not an issue, I would still do something, however this would be on my terms - specifically a greatly reduced number of hours and something I would really like to do (driving a bus once a week would suit me).
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The social contact. I've worked from home for several years now and sometimes you feel a little stir crazy. On the plus side you pay less tax though.

Got to agree, I work from home more these days and as great as it sounds I find it strangely underwhelming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my job, even though it's not what it was advertised to be. I am proud of the work I've done, however I've had terrible jobs in call centres before that I hated and therefore didn't work hard at. It's difficult to take pride in some jobs!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wages. No other reason for me to work.
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really know to be honest. I am trying to find some positives especially in low paid work, I got as much on benefits when I was made redundant so although I am earning the money it still feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth or than I am being a bit of a mug. The money allows you to survive nothing else so its not about the money.

The work itself is not enjoyable, what could be enjoyable about factory work?

So I don't really think anything is enjoyable about work or I should say my current job.
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was the job until the new CCG change in the NHS now it just the money and how much I can earn.

The whole ethos has changed over the past 6 months. I held out with my ideology as long as possible but I got shat upon so now I have learnt "It's all about f**king over anyone and everyone to get the money amd power.

Sad days indeed at work.