Options

Excessive cost of Thatcher's funeral and tributes

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the pits should have been closed, what did the government offer in terms of support with reskilling, relocation., alternative employment etc for those affected?
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    She said she "didn't want a fuss". What exactly is this if not "a fuss"?

Sounds like she was being polite and humble to me.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can certainly tell the tories on this thread, wonder if they have never been on strike?
    They are probably the ones crossing the picket line but are happy to take the benefits of pay, pensions increases etc the strikers won.
    I have known a few of them in my time.
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandorian wrote: »

And perhaps the national response should reflect that in terms of funereal provision.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It sounds to me like she was expressing her wishes as to how her funeral should be conducted. Wishes that are now being ignored in the name of party politics.
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    It sounds to me like she was expressing her wishes as to how her funeral should be conducted. Wishes that are now being ignored in the name of party politics.

Seems to me like she was involved in the arrangements - were you?
    The Queen and Gordon Brown are both in discussions with Lady Thatcher’s private office concerning the arrangements. This does not reflect any concern over Lady Thatcher’s health, but simply the prudent long-term planning necessary for any event involving the Queen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034634/Lady-Thatcher-honoured-State-funeral.html#ixzz2Q3GGm2W4
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can certainly tell the tories on this thread, wonder if they have never been on strike?
    They are probably the ones crossing the picket line but are happy to take the benefits of pay, pensions increases etc the strikers won.

Memories of the 1970s and the way the unions behaved in those days meant that I could never contemplate joining a union. In principle unions are a good idea, but many of their actions turned me off for life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to me like she was involved in the arrangements - were you?

About as much as you (and reporters from the Daily Mail) were.

What a stupid question.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I've never been on strike. But then again, I've never been in a Union and never worked for a company where any part of it was unionised or any member of staff felt the need to be belong to a Union.

... and now you know one of them too :D
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Memories of the 1970s and the way the unions behaved in those days meant that I could never contemplate joining a union. In principle unions are a good idea, but many of their actions turned me off for life.

Unions are or were good in principle, however they soon become dominated by dogma driven political idealists, whose sole agenda is power and self interest.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which broadcaster is funding the cost for the TV coverage anyway?

How ironic if its BBC Licence fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    No, I've never been on strike. But then again, I've never been in a Union and never worked for a company where any part of it was unionised or any member of staff felt the need to be belong to a Union.

... and now you know one of them too :D

Such workplaces should be shouted from the rooftops so that everyone knows where the ideal employment situations are :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »

If things really are that bad as regards unions, and I know from experience that they are not, for everyone that takes this position it is an opportunity lost to influence whatever changes they think fit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Im more concerned about the cost of policing and clearing up the aftermath of the so called 'parties' taking place. :mad:
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it should have been a private funeral then memorial for someone so controversial. I can't remember the last time someone received a public funeral who had so much animosity levelled at them by a great number of the public. Certainly not the Queen Mother or Diana. It just all seems a bit wrong.

Considering the huge amount of folk who have a real dislike for her, it does seem odd that it should be forced upon the entire nation. It's as if they don't have a voice at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Considering the huge amount of folk who have a real dislike for her, it does seem odd that it should be forced upon the entire nation. It's as if they don't have a voice at all.

forced??
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SallyArmy wrote: »
    Im more concerned about the cost of policing and clearing up the aftermath of the so called 'parties' taking place. :mad:

You're concerned about peaceful protest?! :confused:

I find it all a bit unsavoury myself, it's not something I'd do; however it is just that, peaceful protest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your concerned about peaceful protest?! :confused:
    You really think next Weds will see peaceful protest?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SallyArmy wrote: »

Good news if you are in the glazier business.

Besides, it's a bit odd and self-defeating to protest against the costs when policing the protests is just going to increase the costs.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Especially if the disgusted crowds turn on the protesters and kick the crap out of them. Cheaper than getting the Police to do it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    forced??

Forced to pay for a nationalised funeral. The very antithesis of what she stood for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Especially if the disgusted crowds turn on the protesters and kick the crap out of them. Cheaper than getting the Police to do it. :D

Surely the deferential dignified Thatcher supporters would do no such thing?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be time for payback, if they are pushed too far ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Might be time for payback, if they are pushed too far ....

Wouldn't that negate the argument about respect etc?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    You're concerned about peaceful protest?! :confused:

I find it all a bit unsavoury myself, it's not something I'd dol; however it is just that, peaceful protest.

That's not how I would describe the violence and disorder ive seen reported.