Options

Usa Usa Usa

Comments

• Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just one of those weird things that people do. Lots of countries and groups have chants they do. If you don't like it there are lots of other things to pay attention to.

As far as the chants after the capture. Yeah, it's kinda tacky and strange, but this has been a fairly terrible week in the US with the bombing and the explosion and whatnot. So I don't blame them for letting off some steam.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    But we don't it it at the drop of a hat, just as Scots don't suddenly singing "Flower of Scotland". To me "USA, USA, USA" is the sound of the mob or the football crowd

They also sang "Star spangled banner " if that helps.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a victory chant - everything becomes reduced to a 'ball game' - presumably a successful overtake is accompanied by USA USA USA, even if it's an all american affair.

:D HeHe!.I can imagine them sitting on the toilet after passing a particularly difficult turd.'USA!,USA!,USA!'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DomJolly wrote: »
    We don't do it because it's not in our nature

Look at our action hero James Bond

Look at Americas action hero John Rambo

Spot on.We are quite reserved and low key compared to the Americans.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DomJolly wrote: »
    We don't do it because it's not in our nature

Look at our action hero James Bond

Look at Americas action hero John Rambo

Or Jason Bourne and Austin Powers? :p
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,723
    Forum Member
    Seems strange that under circumstances the Americans enjoy a good old 'victory and celebration' chant.

People in their country have still been killed, disfigured and injured, hardly a cause for celebration, even though the perpetrator has been caught.

A bit of retribution for the yanks, yeeee haaaa.

I would imagine anger would be the more appropriate, anger that the perpetrator could have caried out such a deed. Not a celebration that their gung-ho Police Department managed to fire round after round of ammunition to capture this evil youngster.

I don't remember the UK 'celebrating' when the London Bombers were successfully caught, charged and imprisoned. It is not our style, thankfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Seems strange that under circumstances the Americans enjoy a good old 'victory and celebration' chant.

People in their country have still been killed, disfigured and injured, hardly a cause for celebration, even though the perpetrator has been caught.

A bit of retribution for the yanks, yeeee haaaa.

I would imagine anger would be the more appropriate, anger that the perpetrator could have caried out such a deed. Not a celebration that their gung-ho Police Department managed to fire round after round of ammunition to capture this evil youngster.

I don't remember the UK 'celebrating' when the London Bombers were successfully caught, charged and imprisoned. It is not our style, thankfully.

Good post Sometimes less is more.That's not in the American nature though.
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utterly crass and classless
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »

Pretty much sums up the USA.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much sums up the USA.

....and Comments like that pretty well sums up DS :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »

interesting post considering in the same week when some parts of britain showed that off to the rest of the world with the celebrations over a former leader's death
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    interesting post considering in the same week when some parts of britain showed that off to the rest of the world with the celebrations over a former leader's death
    I wasn't a fan.But i thought the celebrations in pubs etc were a bit desperate and sad-act.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I actually thought it was community spirited and pleasantly patriotic.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    Nationalism is for followers and is no better than religion.

America is a highly nationalistic, ethnically divided, militaristic state. When it becomes poor it will be worse than Somalia.

Agreed
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so weird when you think about it. Those people who died on monday, they'll still dead, and those people with missing limbs, well that's also irreversible. Watching the scenes of jubilation and people jumping about on the news, I can't help but think its a tad inappropriate, this is still very much a sad and sombre moment.

A sense of quiet satisfaction would be more fitting in reaction to the capture of the 19 year old alleged bomber. Those people should keep in mind that this isn't some football game, they haven't 'won' anything, theres no victory, no-one wins in a situation like this.
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The response to the bombings has seemed very 'American' to me. Shutting down the city and the 'victory chants' contrast quite dramatically with the English response to the London bombings.

I don't actually think that is weird. It's just their style.

It would be weird if they had all gone back to work with everything running normally and just got on with it. And it would be weird if we Brits had celebrated the capture of the London bombers with national pride and chanting.

We are worlds apart on some things.
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    They're patriotic. Unlike many in the UK who seem to be embarrassed to be Britsh.

what's the difference between an american and a brit ?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've been shit scared for two days. Worried every noise is a mad terrorist outside, or worse inside, the house

I think it's understandable to let off steam.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. Many English people seem to be embarrassed to have any pride in the country, and many look at those who do as some kind of racists.

Americans do tend to have great national pride.

Ohh I'm doing a project around this concept at the moment for Uni. I agree, it's a shame that the St Georges flag is often affiliated with racism and the NF. :(
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. Many English people seem to be embarrassed to have any pride in the country, and many look at those who do as some kind of racists.
    It's because we've gone beyond that - note that England doesn't have a Museum of England, most other places do.
    Americans do tend to have great national pride.
    And too often it goes over into jingoism and unthinking support for the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To you anything America related is abhorrent and worthy of scorn, sarcasm and a special thread on a forum.
    Yawn, get another record. If you want to make a contribution tell us why "USA USA USA" ISN'T the sound of the mob?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Americans favour (or is that favor :o) a 5lb cheese burger and a gallon of Cola over a sensible pair of sock suspenders and afternoon tea!
    British. :D
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Yawn, get another record. If you want to make a contribution tell us why "USA USA USA" ISN'T the sound of the mob?

why should he have to defend anything? why should americans have to put up with this 'mob' attack here now having a go when they just suffered a terrorist attack. why dont you show a bit of respect?

re: brooklyn's comment, i had a look at your past posts and you know he may have a point here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    why should he have to defend anything? why should americans have to put up with this 'mob' attack here now having a go when they just suffered a terrorist attack. why dont you show a bit of respect?

re: brooklyn's comment, i had a look at your past posts and you know he may have a point here.
    I'm against right wingers like the NRA & the Tea Baggers who have done more harm to the US than any terrorist group. I'm also against any form of idiocy, I also tend not to discuss things that are sweetness and light and wonderful so check ALL my posts not just the ones that support your argument.

But as you've butted in - do care to explain how "USA USA USA" isn't the sound of the mob?

Or are you scared?
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :D HeHe!.I can imagine them sitting on the toilet after passing a particularly difficult turd.'USA!,USA!,USA!'.

This made me LOL.