Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    AngelDollAngelDoll Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Why can't people just enjoy it as a bit of escapism rather than over-analysing everything. SAD!
  • Options
    nokes22nokes22 Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Excellent stuff.

Ultimately, the show was never really about the whodunnit, it was more about what Danny's murder did to the town and the lives in it. And on that basis, the final episode was superb.

It was also a look at what lies beneath, behind the picket fence if you will. The covert secrets all people carry with them throughout their lives. The evil within, and how perfection and beauty masks that evil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch is not going to turn into Midsomer Murders is it? It's only a small town!

I think that the next murder might happen elsewhere? It's not like Alec or Ellie will be staying there and I doubt they would go for two other leads for next season. Which however leads to the question how do they plan to make Ellie's/Alec's return to police believable. I know it's way too early to judge,but it just seems that with Broadchurch having just one season could have been the charm.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I missed that. What did Mark do only once?

hit danny
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Very appropriate ending to a masterful series. The subtlety and nuance of every performance was truly compelling.

I quite liked it, I certainly enjoyed the acting. I just find myself picking out too many, not so much plot holes, more things that wouldn't happen.

Anyway reading here it seems I'm in the minority it's the Emporers New Clothes of dramas and sadly (for me) I just can't see it's greatness.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Brilliant ending to the series, I haven't been one of those acting like it's the best drama ever, or in the past ten years, but the final episode was excellently written and Olivia Colman was outstanding. They got it spot on, they didn't go for unnecessary shocks instead they kept with the killer who made sense, and focused on the fallout that would bring.

The only thing I hated was the "Broadchurch will return", this is not a drama that needs another series, nor does it make sense to have one. How is it going to work, is someone else in the same town going to get murdered? Or are Oliva Colman and David Tennant going to move to a different town and investigate a murder there, losing most of the appeal of this series. It's just going to follow a similar path to this one and lesson it's impact.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFTER watching every week, my overall thoughts are it was rubbish, start to end..

Rubbish, start to end, yet you watched it for 8 hours? Strange person.
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered that, I can't quite figure it out and its still annoying me. Something to show she can be cold hearted? Killing an innocent creature?

Or its irrelevant, she doesn't like slugs and it had no hidden meaning?

:o was crying with full chin wobble when Beth saw Danny on the cliff edge :cry::(

I can never understand why people would stand on slugs or snails you just end up with loads of crud and slime on your shoe.

It shows she is a bit mental.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem if it comes back it won't have David Tennant or Olivia Coleman in it surely? It will have lost its best actors.

I think they'll start their own private detective agency :D

Really enjoyed the final episode, powerful acting and thought provoking about the effect on the community and hidden secrets
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to reflect what Addisonian has said, it's been a joy to watch and share with you all
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokes22 wrote: »
    Agreed, it was excellent stuff! Bold, brave, inspired, disturbing and creepy. My jaw was on the floor listening to the confession - great final episode.

An epic drama, great acting. ITV have created IMO the best drama so far this decade.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ncl*girl wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed tbh..... it's been fantastic but I've been saying since about week 3 it was Joe - I would have liked it to turn out to be someone else but that's just my own personal view!
    I know what you mean. I suspected quite early on that Joe was the murderer. Still enjoyed it though.
  • Options
    cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boozysuzie wrote: »
    Thanks for that clip it wasn't shown on STV was it shown on ITV 1 typical STV:mad:

It was only online.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I felt like so many things were unanswered, but now I know there's going to be a second series, I think we'll get those answers.
    Such as? Off the top of me head, I can't think of anything specific that went unanswered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a brilliant series and what a brilliant forum!
    I have to say I can't remember ever seeing a little drama having so much effect and being so popular on here. It's been in the top forums pretty much since the show started every single day. You guys have given me hope that something as good as this can bring out the best in forum members. We created a community to share ideas and discuss things. There was no infamous DS bad behaviour just a group of people all around the country getting to know each other and being really friendly.
    Thank you so much guys. I can't wait to spend another 8 weeks speculating with you all next year ;)
    Goodnight
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    What about the clocks ? Lots of red herrings that were never properly explained.

Still, its been a great series.

(That extra clip adds nothing really).

Thanks, you've summed up my feelings there :(:)

Some good drama though, I guess. Mark in slow-mo on the beach without any sound got to me the most.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    what was the significance of ther slug scene?
    I suppose it would have been easier to simply step over it, but it was an outlet for her anger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Rubbish.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Ant McPartland ought to be the detective in the next series - he predicted who the killer was a few weeks ago on SNT :eek::D. Or was it Dec? I always get them mixed up.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I think all these theories we put out there distracted us from what was there all along, a distraction tactic from the writer. an amazing and compelling storyline. And a deserving end! I'm glad itll be back.
    The cast were outstanding and really pulled the emotions into it
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFTER watching every week, my overall thoughts are it was rubbish, start to end..
    :rolleyes:

I can only assume that you didn't quite 'get' it then. Stick to Midsomer Murders.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I was disappointed with that. It set up so many intriguing possibilities but ended up being the most obvious. I thought the last 10 minutes were hideous as well.
  • Options
    matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to everyone involved in Broadchurch. One of the best British dramas ever made in my opinion
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant ending to the series, I haven't been one of those acting like it's the best drama ever, or in the past ten years, but the final episode was excellently written and Olivia Colman was outstanding. They got it spot on, they didn't go for unnecessary shocks instead they kept with the killer who made sense, and focused on the fallout that would bring.

The only thing I hated was the "Broadchurch will return", this is not a drama that needs another series, nor does it make sense to have one. How is it going to work, is someone else in the same town going to get murdered? Or are Oliva Colman and David Tennant going to move to a different town and investigate a murder there, losing most of the appeal of this series. It's just going to follow a similar path to this one and lesson it's impact.

Maybe OC and DT will get together, emigrate to a town called Broadchurch in Australia or somewhere and solve murders there?:p
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed tonight's finale. I do think 8 weeks was too long to wait for it though.