Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic!!! it might have been obvious but the acting delivered.

I'm not sure about a second series though. I fear it will ruin the legacy this has created. It worked well under the idea of it being a series set across one story arc. It seems far fetched to now bring it back to tell another story.

A spin off may have been a better idea or a prequel for Sandbrook.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watchrd any of this but wanted to tune into last ep to see what everybody has been BANGING on about, & it kinda seem well over rated. & by the sounds of most on here u have wasted ur time no big twist! hope u all enjoyed. lmljao.

Well aren't you a joy!
  • Options
    cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    I suppose it would have been easier to simply step over it, but it was an outlet for her anger.

Was it a metaphor for something creepy that had left a trail of slime in her home?
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Presumably a second series would be a prequel or something similar to Marchlands/Lightfields. Or a spin-off with Alex back in his home town.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more of a drama than a whodunnit... i'm not complaining... thx for the catharsis... that was another good cry over broadchurch...:o:o:cry::cry::D
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact there were unanswered questions only added to the series - after all, how often in real life is everything tied up neatly?

I wonder if for the second series, the emphasis might shift away from the police and towards the local newspaper. There are so many strong characters there.

Broadchurch - an every day story of seaside folk? :D
  • Options
    celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how I feel about the last episode - kind of felt underwhelmed but the last scenes were emotive. Can't wait for the DVD to come out to watch it all again. As people have said its not really about whodunnit but the emotions it has had on the characters

And a second series - really I hope that they keep the main characters and develop them - there doesn't need to be a major whodunnit mystery. There will be Beth's baby to be had and the impact it has on their family, the relationship between Nige and Susan, how Ellie is coping with her husband behind bars etc..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst the Drama isn't without it's faults, it is the only piece of television that has kept me on edge. Usually during ad breaks I would check my iPad, but during every ad break in the final episode, I sat still (apart from eating Maltesers - tension eating!), and that is why Broadchurch is probably my favourite ever show.

I am thrilled it is returning, and hopefully I can get a glimspe of filming in Westbay, which is a place that holds many memories for me.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this strangely satisfying. Definitely not an Agatha Christie who dunnit but what they always promised - a programme about how grief and suspicion and guilt can impact on a small community. Brilliant.

I agree. It wasn't even really a whodunit. There was no sensational twist or ending. TBH, in a curious way, I wasn't that bothered about the identity of the murderer. The drama was driven by character rather than plot. I thought it was incredibly good.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Such as? Off the top of me head, I can't think of anything specific that went unanswered.

Postman? Psychic?
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samy1014 wrote: »
    What a brilliant series and what a brilliant forum!
    I have to say I can't remember ever seeing a little drama having so much effect and being so popular on here. It's been in the top forums pretty much since the show started every single day. You guys have given me hope that something as good as this can bring out the best in forum members. We created a community to share ideas and discuss things. There was no infamous DS bad behaviour just a group of people all around the country getting to know each other and being really friendly.
    Thank you so much guys. I can't wait to spend another 8 weeks speculating with you all next year ;)
    Goodnight

I'll second that, it's been a pleasure taking part in the discussions, sleuthing and sharing of theories on here.
    :):):)
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have loved this series and though i suspected Joe Miller was the killer I did not expect this final episode to be quite so heart rending. I have to to say that the acting perfomances from David Tenant, Olivia Coleman and Pauline Quirke have been absolutely outstanding.. this is Tv at it's best/

I agree
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Excellent stuff.

Ultimately, the show was never really about the whodunnit, it was more about what Danny's murder did to the town and the lives in it. And on that basis, the final episode was superb.

The whole series has been excellent and the last episode did not disappoint.
    Broadchurch is not going to turn into Midsomer Murders is it? It's only a small town!

If this had been Midsomer there would've been at leaset 3 murders in episode 1! :D

I'm interested to see how they bring it back. Is Hardy going to risk the surgery for the pacemaker and survive? I wonder if OC's character will stay as Hardy said her place is here.
  • Options
    boozysuzieboozysuzie Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    But at least Midsomer is the name of an area covering several villages etc, whereas Broadchurch is just a small town with less potential for varied plots and suspects.

My post was tougne in cheek :rolleyes:
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first 7.2 hours. Shame about the rest.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing acting throughout, loved the series
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Appointment viewing at it's finest. Well done ITV :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Slightly disappointed that it was the bookies fave all along - and that the burning beacons were a little overdone - but oh what a fabulous, powerful and superbly acted and directed series that was. Thank you Chris Chibnall and Kudos and more like that please. :)
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    At the end it said Broadchurch will return ...I hope so. It was a brilliant series and most of the actors where fantastic. But my favourite well apart from David ;) Tennant was Pauline Quirk she was brilliant and very believable.

Now what we all going to do next Monday :o
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally impressed by the acting in Broadchurch despite Joe being so predictable right from the off. I thought his acting wasn't good to tell the truth, the weakest character in the story.

And to act so cool [ and confident] for 2 months if he was, as implied, such a sensitive soul, doesn't ring true to me.

Olivia Colman, Andrew Buchan, Pauline Quirk and Jodie Whittaker have been outstanding in this.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Ant McPartland ought to be the detective in the next series - he predicted who the killer was a few weeks ago on SNT :eek::D. Or was it Dec? I always get them mixed up.:o

Ant and Dec were actually brilliant in Alien Autopsy. The deleted scenes especially :o
  • Options
    ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic!!! it might have been obvious but the acting delivered.

I'm not sure about a second series though. I fear it will ruin the legacy this has created. It worked well under the idea of it being a series set across one story arc. It seems far fetched to now bring it back to tell another story.

A spin off may have been a better idea or a prequel for Sandbrook.

I'm not sure if the second series will definetly be about another murder though. I think they could go in a different direction.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I'd like to reflect what Addisonian has said, it's been a joy to watch and share with you all
    Oh hello Mrs Teapot! I normally only run into you in the General Discussion forum. Nice to see you've enjoyed this brilliant series too :)
  • Options
    ChawtonChawton Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Betrayal and atonement ....
    light in the dark (symbolism)

And it's a bloomin' story; take from it what you will and ignore what doesn't fit.

For me, I'll take whatever symbolism I can from it.

And I'm also quite glad there wasn't too much overlap from Sandbrook ie adopted daughters suddenly appearing in the same town as Susan and Nige.

To paraphrase something else: you got what you needed, not necessarily what you wanted ;)
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if the second series will definetly be about another murder though. I think they could go in a different direction.

The reporter could investigate over 8 weeks who stole the farmers' tractor.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen on twitter that there were no plans for a second series but due to popularity there now will be :D