Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sceptilian wrote: »
    Very disappointing - Olivia Colman delivered a gobsmacking performance as she does habitually - and the editing and music was as compelling as ever - but a well scripted drama this is not. The killer spontaneously decided to confess out of nowhere with absolutely no foreshadowing or buildup in the preceding episodes.
    I don't think that was a flaw as such, but I did think it was a bit ironic that after seven episodes of detective work the killer just gets bored of living a lie and (effectively) hands himself in. It's basically a detective story where the detectives were ultimately entirely redundant. I'd always assumed that whoever the killer was, DT would be the one to nail them, and by doing so it would be his atonement for his previous failure (or perceived failure.) But in the end he didn't do anything much to solve the case.

Still very much liked the series overall though. When I first heard it was going to be eight episodes I thought it might be padded out, but it was just the right length for the material.
  • Options
    Brenda McQueenBrenda McQueen Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    of course ambience totally ruined as usual by an announcer butting in over the titles and music on a reduced screen bellowing at us that the news was next.
    Will these people never learn?
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Ah right thanks everyone. No I was watching at that point but missed that line.

When Joe said he wasn't much of a father - he didn't actually mention Mark hitting Danny, I've such a bad memory I'd forgotten he had hit him and thought when Mark said 'it was only once' I thought he was referring to seeing the woman from the hotel :rolleyes: I'm so bad I didn't even know it was Ellie's house that David Tennant had gone to when following the GPS signal; till I saw Tom that is :o
  • Options
    roadieboysroadieboys Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Ant McPartland ought to be the detective in the next series - he predicted who the killer was a few weeks ago on SNT :eek::D. Or was it Dec? I always get them mixed up.:o

Ant is always on the left :D
  • Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't disappointed. the last episode was rather dark, but i'm glad there were no house fires or miscarriages or more suicide. Excellent writing, excellent acting...well done to all :)
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst all the speculation was fun, I think not having a ridiculous twist made for a much more powerful and believable ending. I was more gripped by the confession and the reveal to Ellie. My heart nearly stopped when Hardy was following the mobile signal. The whole episode was so tense from start to finish even after knowing who who had done it.
  • Options
    AsbestosInfernoAsbestosInferno Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I liked the ending, but some of the questions unanswered.. sheesh. So there was no significance that Nige and Danny used to go out together to hunt pheasants? What about the postman? What about Steve? He's just a psychic?!

I thought it was a great series, but I don't like the rushed feeling of it all at the end. I wanted it all to tie together, you know?

Why did the director tell us to watch it to the end?

What was going in with the "extra scene"? Danny's wake? Ermm ok. I was hoping for Danny to be lying on the beach "dead" and then opening up his eyes or something. :/
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,498
    Forum Member
    celebmania wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about the last episode - kind of felt underwhelmed but the last scenes were emotive. Can't wait for the DVD to come out to watch it all again. As people have said its not really about whodunnit but the emotions it has had on the characters

And a second series - really I hope that they keep the main characters and develop them - there doesn't need to be a major whodunnit mystery. There will be Beth's baby to be had and the impact it has on their family, the relationship between Nige and Susan, how Ellie is coping with her husband behind bars etc..........

I fear then it will turn into a bit of a glorified soap if it metemorphs into a south coast Village type show. Whilst character definition was a key part of its success the whodoneit underpinned its popularity.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my Facebook status that I just posted:-

"Broadchurch was just magnificent, superb writing, production and an acting masterclass from all concerned, particularly Olivia Coleman who will surely win all the awards going for the best performance I've ever seen"

As far as I'm concerned television doesn't get any better than this, and it has been a privilege and pleasure to share every insightful, articulate and sometimes downright crazy theory on this quite fantastic thread.

I'll see you all in Series 2.....:)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press release: http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/broadchurch-recommissioned-second-series
    Broadchurch will return for a second series, ITV confirmed tonight (Monday 22 April).

The successful series, produced by Kudos Film and Television and Imaginary Friends Productions, written and created by Chris Chibnall, starring a strong ensemble cast lead by David Tennant and Olivia Colman has gripped the nation with viewers intrigued by the circumstances surrounding the death of young Danny Latimer.

The new series will go into production next year. As with the first series, details of the story, and which characters will return, are currently being kept tightly under wraps.

Since launching on 4 March, the drama has never been far from everyday conversation, becoming compelling viewing as the audience have dissected and analysed the cleverly crafted scripts, which implicated many of the locals living in the small picturesque seaside Dorset community of Broadchurch, home to the Latimer family.

The first episode rating of 9.1 million (31% audience share) saw Broadchurch achieve the highest weekday launch of a new drama across all broadcasters since ITV’s Whitechapel in January 2009. More than 9 million viewers have watched the popular drama unfold. Only two other dramas on television launching during weekday have rated higher since 2002, both from ITV, Life Begins and Doc Martin.

The compelling series, produced by Kudos Film and Television, which also starred, Jodie Whittaker, Andrew Buchan, Vicky McClure, Arthur Darvill, David Bradley, Pauline Quirke, Jonathan Bailey, Carolyn Pickles and Will Mellor, had bookmakers running odds on who they thought was responsible for Danny’s death.

Commissioned for ITV by Acting Director of Drama Commissioning, Steve November, Broadchurch is executive produced by Chris Chibnall, and Kudos Film and Television’s Jane Featherstone. The series was produced by Richard Stokes and the lead director was James Strong. Euros Lyn also directed three episodes of the series.

“We’re delighted to be commissioning a second series of Broadchurch,” said ITV’s Director of Television, Peter Fincham. “From the moment the murder scene was discovered, viewers became gripped by the series, and we’ve been genuinely thrilled by the audience response. David and Olivia’s performances and Chris’s cleverly crafted scripts have created a truly compelling drama.”

Creator and writer Chris Chibnall said: "The whole Broadchurch team has been delighted and properly gobsmacked by the response from ITV viewers. When I first talked to Peter Fincham and Laura Mackie, ITV’s Director of Drama about Broadchurch, I mentioned that if people liked it, there was another very different story we could tell afterwards. I'm really thrilled we're going to tell that story too."

Executive producer, Jane Featherstone for Kudos Film and Television commented: “It’s such a privilege for Kudos to be able to work with Chris and ITV to bring the next chapter of Broadchurch to our screens. And although we’re giving nothing away right now, I can tell you it’s going to keep on delivering surprises and scale.”

The new series will go into production next year. -> suggests transmission date of Autumn 2014
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched to see what it was like, I never expected to enjoy it so much. While I do think the slow motion scenes were over used and lost thier impact, the actual acting from the cast was fantastic and more than enough to keep me interested. I think Olivia Coleman is a great actress, I mentioned Tyrannosaur a few pages back, if you ever get the chance to see it I very much recommend it.

I liked that we saw the aftermath of the reveal, that doesn't happen very often. Im curious about how they will do a second series. Surely both detectives can't return?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who else's jaw almost hit the floor when Joe said he was "in love" with Danny...?
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I quite liked it, I certainly enjoyed the acting. I just find myself picking out too many, not so much plot holes, more things that wouldn't happen.

Anyway reading here it seems I'm in the minority it's the Emporers New Clothes of dramas and sadly (for me) I just can't see it's greatness.

Minority of two:o.

I'm glad some people enjoyed it and found it gripping, though:). But I don't know, maybe all that comparison with The Killing earlier was misplaced. It was nothing like it. Bits of it was 'Killeresques', just bits. It was OK - some OC's acting did grate on me a little.

I didn't pick out the plot holes, if there were any. I tend not to if the s/l feels a bit too samey to me.

Not sure there is a Broadchurch Series 2. A journalist from the Telegraph said there wasn't any plans of another one. EDIT: I stand corrected:)
  • Options
    TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Ant and Dec are such good detectives that they always guess the killer on Dramas - as long as its on ITV or Ants wife works on it.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I've just seen on twitter that there were no plans for a second series but due to popularity there now will be :D

I did wonder if that was why we suddenly had this, watch beyond the credits story this morning....
    because they have only just decided on a second series and so needed to add the line after the credits Broadchurch will return
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    I don't think that was a flaw as such, but I did think it was a bit ironic that after seven episodes of detective work the killer just gets bored of living a lie and (effectively) hands himself in. It's basically a detective story where the detectives were ultimately entirely redundant. I'd always assumed that whoever the killer was, DT would be the one to nail them, and by doing so it would be his atonement for his previous failure (or perceived failure.) But in the end he didn't do anything much to solve the case.

Still very much liked the series overall though. When I first heard it was going to be eight episodes I thought it might be padded out, but it was just the right length for the material.

He may have admitted to it but David Tennant still worked it out
  • Options
    roadieboysroadieboys Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the link to the extra filming please :)
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    I'm glad its coming back, but only if MIller & Hardy return.

Happy that Alec survived. Maybe he does get his pacemaker fitted.
  • Options
    Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it and I hope Broadchurch does return, as long as David Tenant is in it anyway
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think this series has been a triumph about the dumbing down of murder/detective/suspense shows. It means the great british public can concentrate on something that is longer than 45 minutes plus ads with a murder every 15 minutes.

Beautifully produced and acted.
  • Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The paintballing weekend was a giant red herring
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roadieboys wrote: »
    Does anyone have the link to the extra filming please :)

Yes second that
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Press release: http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/broadchurch-recommissioned-second-series

The new series will go into production next year. -> suggests transmission date of Autumn 2014
    That long away? Really? :(
  • Options
    ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the ending, but some of the questions unanswered.. sheesh. So there was no significance that Nige and Danny used to go out together to hunt pheasants? What about the postman? What about Steve? He's just a psychic?!

I thought it was a great series, but I don't like the rushed feeling of it all at the end. I wanted it all to tie together, you know?

Why did the director tell us to watch it to the end?

What was going in with the "extra scene"? Danny's wake? Ermm ok. I was hoping for Danny to be lying on the beach "dead" and then opening up his eyes or something. :/

The thing is, in real life we wouldn't find out all of these details so it works fine for me with some questions being left open.
  • Options
    TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Please don't tell Ant and Dec who dunnit. They will spoil it for every-one