Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The level of broadcasting on 5live must improve with Phil Williams soon to be taking over the late night hot seat, surely to god..........? I live forever in hope !

I don't know about that but at least in a few weeks time you'll be an expert on Aston Villa.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about that but at least in a few weeks time you'll be an expert on Aston Villa.

Who do you think should have taken over the last show?
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...likewise he'll soon be an expert on the Championship :p
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Richard Bacon's handling of the Rugby League Challenge Cup draw was disgraceful. Apologetic that it was getting in the way of his programme and did no research on his guest, the legendary Billy Boston.

Typical Richard Bacon who was likewise a disaster covering the tennis from Wimbledon.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Who do you think should have taken over the last show?

Frances Finn - BBC Nottingham for starters....

We can only dream of getting fi Glover or similar quality...won't happen of course Frances is pretty darn good....
    I'd be happy with Robert Elms though also.

At least may be body functions topics be laid to rest though and I live in hope that team talk dies with livesey too.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I listen earlier to Rachel Burden completely ruin an interesting and potentially important item on the spread of smallpox in the North West by interrupting the guest on at least three occasions, the last of which was as he was trying to explain the symptoms that parents should watch out for. She at least realised that this last interruption was one too many, and allowed him to finish his point, but it really was very poor interviewing, made worse by an incorrect introduction.

Ir really is time 5 Live got a grip on some of their presenters, and made them act profeionally
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    What was incorrect about the intro?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    I listen earlier to Rachel Burden completely ruin an interesting and potentially important item on the spread of smallpox in the North West by interrupting the guest on at least three occasions, the last of which was as he was trying to explain the symptoms that parents should watch out for. She at least realised that this last interruption was one too many, and allowed him to finish his point, but it really was very poor interviewing, made worse by an incorrect introduction.

Ir really is time 5 Live got a grip on some of their presenters, and made them act profeionally

I didn't hear that but she always interrupts at the worst moments. The problem is they need to allocate more time to stories at the end of the hour. Sometimes they'll put an interesting story at, say 7:58am so while the interviewee is talking, the interviewer has to interrupt several times as they are fast approaching the start of the new hour.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Frances Finn - BBC Nottingham for starters....

We can only dream of getting fi Glover or similar quality...won't happen of course Frances is pretty darn good....
    I'd be happy with Robert Elms though also.

Heard the chap who had stepped in for Nolan the other night ..Jonathan Vernon-Smith and he raised the standard higher than usual.He did a really good job anchoring the Boston bombings coverage.The excellent Francis Finn would do a far better job than queen vic.I might listen more with her doing the mid morning slot. which is desperate for a revamp.

The Villa aren't down yet ...in Lambo we trust.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to go off on a tangent but are sure it was smallpox they were talking about? I thought that outside of laboratories it had been eradicated?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,492
    Forum Member
    Heard the chap who had stepped in for Nolan the other night ..Jonathan Vernon-Smith and he raised the standard higher than usual.

He is on 3CR---quite good and lets the callers give their point rather than shout them down like so many do.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen earlier to Rachel Burden completely ruin an interesting and potentially important item on the spread of smallpox in the North West
    Looks like someone's got their facts mixed up. Smallpox is a far more deadly disease than measles and has been effectively wiped out for decades in the UK thanks to vaccination. I don' t see any media reports about this anywhere, so sounds like a fabricated scare story to me..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    He is on 3CR---quite good and lets the callers give their point rather than shout them down like so many do.

Yes it was a very nice change. I can't stand this constant interrupting by 5live presenters talking over callers and also with people being interviewed,completely ruins radio broadcasting for me.I like to hear what they have got to say instead of egotistical presenters butting in all the time.Rhod Sharp is the master of how a presenter should conduct themselves and actually allow other people to speak.There is nothing worse than to hear something like a Nicky Campbell phone in with 2 or 3 people talking over one another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    [.Ir really is time 5 Live got a grip on some of their presenters, and made them act profeionally[/QUOTE]

Totally agree Derbyshire, Bacon, Warburton, Hipgrave, Sam Walker out please.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't hear about the smallpox thing but though verging on VD misery territory did hear the interview with guy divorced hadn't seen kids for 10 years was appalling bad for him & RB signed off with him with a "yeah well" .....it sounded awful & disrespectful to the poor guy who'd bared his soul to millions.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand all of the criticism regarding Victoria Derbyshire.

I actually find her programmes very interesting. Yes she deals with issues which might be uncomfortable or upsetting, but they're issues of importance which deserve coverage.

As for the criticism regarding the way she deals with callers, I think it's completely unfounded. She tends to be very supportive and empathetic.

The truth is, 5 Live will never please all, least not a large number of the posters on this forum who find something wrong with everything and everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What was incorrect about the intro?

She quoted Salford as being the greatest are of concern.The doctor corrected her, and said it was Wigan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Looks like someone's got their facts mixed up. Smallpox is a far more deadly disease than measles and has been effectively wiped out for decades in the UK thanks to vaccination. I don' t see any media reports about this anywhere, so sounds like a fabricated scare story to me..

It was measles - I got the original post wrong.

Serves me right for complaining about Burden getting her facts wrong!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was measles - I got the original post wrong.

Serves me right for complaining about Burden getting her facts wrong!

Haha - quite :cool:

I take your point about the incorrect intro - though that error is more likely to have been made by a producer rather than the presenter. Of course, as a listener that doesn't really matter. It should be right in the first place. But that's not really a reason to suggest that Presenter A or B is often getting things wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Didn't hear about the smallpox thing but though verging on VD misery territory did hear the interview with guy divorced hadn't seen kids for 10 years was appalling bad for him & RB signed off with him with a "yeah well" .....it sounded awful & disrespectful to the poor guy who'd bared his soul to millions.....

Well hang on - firstly people moan because Victoria Derbyshire has "too many depressing" stories, and then moan because another presenter is seen to be disrespectful.

Again, it's all about context. Without hearing the interview it's hard to know for sure if the "yeah well" was said in a dismissive way - or perhaps it was a "we must move on". Presenters use all kinds of phrases to end one segment and get into another. Perhaps it's just a symptom of Five Live's more informal style?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jack_R wrote: »

I actually find her programmes very interesting. Yes she deals with issues which might be uncomfortable or upsetting, but they're issues of importance which deserve coverage.

Neither do I, but to some people it's something of a pastime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the criticism regarding the way she deals with callers, I think it's completely unfounded. She tends to be very supportive and empathetic.

How long exactly have you been listening to queen vic ? She peddles a similar rehash of a story she has already covered every other week for the last 10 years.

Empathetic ? Yes haven't you noticed, she does it in a kind of smug and patronising sought of way........

You give her far too much credit......she's only a blinkin' overpaid 5live presenter.......she is not some trained counsellor with an expertise in any given subject.She even admits herself that she is no intellectual.As if anyone needs telling.Raising your voice ( as she does ) when doing interviews or dealing with callers is hardly my idea of being a professional broadcaster.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria "bear with me" Derbyshire up to her usual standard today. Lots deafening silences and ers oohs and ars. Does any one big at the beeb listen and review. If they do they need to lear out their ears. The programme is a shambolic waste of public money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    How long exactly have you been listening to queen vic ? She peddles a similar rehash of a story she has already covered every other week for the last 10 years.

Empathetic ? Yes haven't you noticed, she does it in a kind of smug and patronising sought of way........

You give her far too much credit......she's only a blinkin' overpaid 5live presenter.......she is not some trained counsellor with an expertise in any given subject.She even admits herself that she is no intellectual.As if anyone needs telling.Raising your voice ( as she does ) when doing interviews or dealing with callers is hardly my idea of being a professional broadcaster.

Well clearly you must have a secret liking for Victoria if you can recall all of these stories she has supposedly been 'rehashing' for the past ten years.

She has never claimed to be a trained counsellor - but Mapperley Ridge is absolutely right. People moan at one point against a presenter they feel isn't showing enough understanding, Rachel Burden in this example, then lambast another, this time Victoria Derybshire, for showing understanding, labelling it 'smug and patronising'

A cynic may very well conclude you'd find something to moan about whatever their reactions happened to be.
    Victoria "bear with me" Derbyshire up to her usual standard today. Lots deafening silences and ers oohs and ars. Does any one big at the beeb listen and review. If they do they need to lear out their ears. The programme is a shambolic waste of public money.

I do happen to wonder, if you find Victoria Derbyshire so terrible and such an awful waste of money why you were tuning in and listening?

Goodness knows what some of you would do if she wasn't on 5 Live considering how much entertainment you seemingly get from scrutinising and criticising her every word - but then, as I said above, you're determined to find something to moan about, so I really do doubt it'd matter who was presenting.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Well clearly you must have a secret liking for Victoria if you can recall all of these stories she has supposedly been 'rehashing' for the past ten years.

I can't imagine listening to a broadcaster I didn't like for 10 minutes, never mind 10 years.

John Myers tells an amusing tale in his book of a listener who was obsessed with Jeremy Vine. He was appointed to do a review of the BBC and asked people for opinions. He was immediately contacted by someone who absolutely hated Jeremy Vine. Hated him so much he listened every single day intently and made notes about all the stuff he hated about his show, even had his own website criticising the guy. But still listened.

He does make the point though that you need both types of listeners. Those who like you and those who profess to absolutely despise you, but still tune. There's nothing worse than getting absolutely no reaction either way.

It's all very odd. Probably why radio people are always told never to eat anything sent in by the listeners - they can be a weird lot.
This discussion has been closed.