Options

Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, mobile versions of websites aren't always evil. Sometimes they're actually - shocking, I know - easier to navigate on a phone. The National Lottery website, for example, definitely is, and it brings up a nice numeric keypad for you to enter your numbers.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    What you really mean is "Apple have not added an option allowing users to globally override the intentions of individual web developers."
    As an individual I quite like to have my own intents. And I agree with INisles, some mobile web pages are very useful.

Further on from the UK info, 29% is still good.

Yet "At the end of quarter one, Apple's worldwide share of the smartphone market fell to 17.3 percent, down from 23 percent in 2012"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/26/idc-apples-iphone-sheds-marketshare-as-smartphones-out-ship-feature-phones-for-first-time

I do recall similar headlines for RIM who's sales held up in a similar way.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    As an individual I quite like to have my own intents. And I agree with INisles, some mobile web pages are very useful.

Yet "At the end of quarter one, Apple's worldwide share of the smartphone market fell to 17.3 percent, down from 23 percent in 2012"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/26/idc-apples-iphone-sheds-marketshare-as-smartphones-out-ship-feature-phones-for-first-time

Think those figures are quite interesting as Apple have sold more phones than before but still lost market share. I think it shows how fierce the market place is…and then fact that only Apple and Samsung have a market share in double figures is quite interesting. I think there is room for one of the others to step up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Think those figures are quite interesting as Apple have sold more phones than before but still lost market share. I think it shows how fierce the market place is…and then fact that only Apple and Samsung have a market share in double figures is quite interesting. I think there is room for one of the others to step up a bit.
    Yep, it reminded me of RIM because its sales held up whilst marketshare first evaporated.

Maybe the other with be Samsung Tizen, though obviously Microsoft Phone competes far more in the IOS scheme of things. I;m not quite sure if Tizen is seen as Intel's path to beating ARM.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So your issue is with web developers not providing a link to the desktop version, not Apple.

Because despite your earlier claim, Apple haven't actually "banned the desktop web" at all.

I get that you don't like Apple and everything, but posting nonsense like "Apple have banned the desktop web on iOS" does take it a bit far.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    But if the majority of customers are like you there is almost nothing apple could do that would make you unhappy as has been evidenced by this thread.

I don't have an iPhone, so your argument seems a little silly.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no default setting for it.

Mobile 'phone web' needs multi page clicks to get to the same info, or even has much of the darn information missing.

Like much in life, you don't miss what you've never had.

Could you give me an example of a website that cannot be viewed? I'll get one one to try it out.

Interestingly my iPad and ace 2 behave the same. The ace 2 on first attempt will default to the mobile version of a site. F I then click on a link to the desktop site, the phone will always go to the desktop site. My iPad does the same.

What site are you having a problem with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but posting nonsense like "Apple have banned the desktop web on iOS" does take it a bit far.
    Its not me with the bob the builder 'Yes we can!' chorus line.

No it ain't there in Safari. The fact that almost all Apple discussions get obscured means its chances of ever appearing are small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not me with the bob the builder 'Yes we can!' chorus line.

No it ain't there in Safari. The fact that almost all Apple discussions get obscured means its chances of ever appearing are small.

What isn't there?

I can view desktop web pages just fine.

Some web developers do not include a link to the desktop version of their websites.

Contrary to what you said, Apple have not "banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS".

I don't know why you are labouring with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if the majority of customers are like you there is almost nothing apple could do that would make you unhappy as has been evidenced by this thread.

Is that what they call a strawman?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    What isn't there?

I can view desktop web pages just fine.

Some web developers do not include a link to the desktop version of their websites.

Contrary to what you said, Apple have not "banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS".

I don't know why you are labouring with this.

How do you view a desktop site then as there is no option to default to it in safari as apple have not allowed it?

What you mean is if the content provider provides a link for you to view the desktop site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you view a desktop site then as there is no option to default to it in safari as apple have not allowed it?

What you mean is if the content provider provides a link for you to view the desktop site.

There are ways of doing it even when the website doesn't have a 'desktop site' link. Usually searching for the website plus "desktop site" will do it.

Nevertheless, it's still not remotely accurate to say that Apple has banned the desktop web in Safari for iOS. Safari doesn't provide an override option so that you ALWAYS see the desktop version regardless or what the developer wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, its not us taking things to extremes, when Stiggles is the one happy to label the majority of people with Apple products as being "cult like".

I don't think the amount of satire tells us very much except that there probably is a minority of Apple nuts, and that Apple is currently an easy target. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be sure there's a direct correlation between "number of Apple nuts" and "amount of satire about Apple nuts".

Only in your opinion.

Even if its down to good marketing, so what? Although I think its probably down to a combination of good marketing, high quality products, and ease of use.

The point that we're veering away from is the one about people seemingly finding it difficult to accept that many people might be perfectly happy to buy an Apple product despite it not having particular features, because they consider what it does have to be more important than what it doesn't have.

That doesn't mean they are idiots.

That doesn't mean they must be oblivious to what those features are.

That doesn't mean they would want a product with those features if they weren't too busy being conned by Apple.

In the majority of cases it just means that people place value on different things to some of the people posting in this discussion.

I think the amount of satire and media comments on the subject is a direct reflection of this, If it was just a small minority it would garner very little interest. The fact people are prepared to queue for example weeks before a new product is released people find incredulous especially without knowing what this product actually does.

Hence why many apple users are very happy as they know little else and you can't miss what you don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are ways of doing it even when the website doesn't have a 'desktop site' link. Usually searching for the website plus "desktop site" will do it.

Nevertheless, it's still not remotely accurate to say that Apple has banned the desktop web in Safari for iOS. Safari doesn't provide an override option so that you ALWAYS see the desktop version regardless or what the developer wants.

seems crazy to me for a user to have to do that.

So it is not accurate to say that apple have not allowed a default desktop option within its browser?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it is not accurate to say that apple have not allowed a default desktop option within its browser?

That's accurate, yes. It's not the same as them banning the desktop web.

Just to mention, it's very rare to have to search for a desktop site, because most sites have a 'desktop site' or 'full site' link. As kidspud says, it really only goes to the mobile version the first time anyway. Once you've pressed on the desktop link, it defaults to that view in future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I click on the 'desktop version' link.

What I mean is that Apple have not banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS.

If they had, clicking on any desktop version link wouldn't take me to the website, but would take me to a screen explaining that I couldn't view it because Apple had banned it.

But I don't, because they haven't.

Its when people struggle with things like the difference between:

"Apple have banned the desktop web on Safari in iOS"

and

"Apple have not provided an option to default to the desktop version"

that these discussions become so painful.

If a web developer has not provided a link to a desktop version, blame the web developer, not Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the amount of satire and media comments on the subject is a direct reflection of this, If it was just a small minority it would garner very little interest. The fact people are prepared to queue for example weeks before a new product is released people find incredulous especially without knowing what this product actually does.

Hence why many apple users are very happy as they know little else and you can't miss what you don't know.

So what proportion of people who own an Apple product are prepared to "queue for weeks before a new product is released" would you say?

Expressed as a percentage?

For reference, they've apparently shifted more than 500m iOS devices now.

And I think people have a pretty good idea of what an iPhone does by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why does it seem crazy that the default version of a website on a mobile device would be the mobile version? I would have thought the clue was in the name.

Yes it is.

But its not that big a deal to click on a 'desktop version' link, which most mobile versions have.

So is it inaccurate to say that Apple have banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS?

Yes or no?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it seem crazy that the default version of a website on a mobile device would be the mobile version? I would have thought the clue was in the name.

Yes it is.

But its not that big a deal to click on a 'desktop version' link, which most mobile versions have.

So is it inaccurate to say that Apple have banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS?

Yes or no?

It begs the question, what is the point of a retina display if the browser defaults to zoomed in mobile versions? It's just a waste and doesn't empower the user.

It's not a massive deal, but it is a glaring omission and it certainly is clunky and outdated and goes against Apple's own "just works" mantra. Who wants to be scrolling down to find the "go to desktop version" link on every site they visit? I don't. :o

It's far simpler to have the feature built into the browser like Android or other 3rd party browsers, it's a silly omission, especially considering some aspects of sites just don't work and/or aren't accessible when viewing the mobile version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how it goes against anything to do with Apple.

What website is served up is down to the developer, not Apple.

It might be useful if clicking a desktop version the first time you visit a site is such a hardship.

Its not as though having to do that renders the hi res screen pointless.

All that is happening is what is designed, by someone other than Apple, to happen.

As far as I can tell you can't globally set Chrome (in iOS at least) to view the desktop version. (only request it on a site by site basis)

So it looks like Google have banned the desktop web as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes it is.

Yes or no?

Having something as a default alludes to the fact it can be changed which it can't. It does seem crazy to me that this portion is not available therefore having to load every site twice to view the desktop version.

I never use mobile sites and this would drive me loopy.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how it goes against anything to do with Apple.

What website is served up is down to the developer, not Apple.

It might be useful if clicking a desktop version the first time you visit a site is such a hardship.

But all that is happening is what is designed, by someone other than Apple, to happen.

You're still avoiding the obvious point that if someone out of choice does not want a mobile version of a desktop to show up, there is no way for them to automatically circumvent this. Apple provides no solution.

Yes there are third party browsers available, but these may not be as good as Safari at loading pages, I'm not sure as I have never tried them, whereas in Android, the default browser has the feature built in so the user never has to worry about the integrity of a third party browser and/or any differences in performance or rendering.

It's something so simple, yet it can make a massive difference in a number of scenarios.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You're still avoiding the obvious point that if someone out of choice does not want a mobile version of a desktop to show up, there is no way for them to automatically circumvent this. Apple provides no solution.

Yes there are third party browsers available, but these may not be as good as Safari at loading pages, I'm not sure as I have never tried them, whereas in Android, the default browser has the feature built in so the user never has to worry about the integrity of a third party browser and/or any differences in performance or rendering.

It's something so simple, yet it can make a massive difference in a number of scenarios.

I'm not avoiding that point.

I'm saying that there is world of difference between the claim that "Apple have banned the desktop web" and the far less dramatic truth, that Apple have not provided an option to view the desktop version by default.

Which in the majority of cases isn't an issue anyway, if there is a link to the desktop version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having something as a default alludes to the fact it can be changed which it can't. It does seem crazy to me that this portion is not available therefore having to load every site twice to view the desktop version.

I never use mobile sites and this would drive me loopy.

In the vast majority of cases it can be changed by clicking on a 'desktop version' link. If that's all it takes to drive you loopy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the vast majority of cases it can be changed by clicking on a 'desktop version' link. If that's all it takes to drive you loopy...

certainly would for every site I visit what a convoluted way to browse the internet totally backward. No wonder the ios figures for browsing are so high you have to load every page twice madness.

However another example of what many people only buying apple because it "does what they want" wouldn't have a clue about.