Options

Sexual Harassment on the street

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread from earlier this year. Bus stop this time.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1637498&highlight=

Oh to have a man pap his horn at me *sigh*. I have forgotten what a horn looks like...off to Google horns.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear :(
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear. It appears that the OP is somewhat over-sensitive. There is a huge difference between sexual-harrassment and just the annoyances of day-to-day life.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

how`d that one pan out op?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,074
    Forum Member
    Sorry read date wrong it's last year. Still valid to bring up imo.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being on the autism spectrum, I have always defaulted to assuming "No, never" when the whole approaching thing comes up.

Under the rules the OP is operating to.. what IS an acceptable method for males to use to show interest? In anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how`d that one pan out op?

I completley forgot about that but this time its different this is a noe off i see this person once a week.

still intimidating being by yourself but this guy is just a weirdo who i am talking about he followed me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Being on the autism spectrum, I have always defaulted to assuming "No, never" when the whole approaching thing comes up.

Under the rules the OP is operating to.. what IS an acceptable method for males to use to show interest? In anyone?

Ask out and if she says no leave it some men just can't take no for an answer i have no idea why people are sticking up for this blokes behavior.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I completley forgot about that but this time its different this is a noe off i see this person once a week.

still intimidating being by yourself but this guy is just a weirdo who i am talking about he followed me.

And what do you think about the advice to report it if it makes you that uncomfortable that many people have given you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what do you think about the advice to report it if it makes you that uncomfortable that many people have given you?

I think its good advice and i am thinking about doing it i have took all advice in.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often have women staring at me on the street and it does feel like I'm being visually raped sometimes. I have gone up to some in the past when I've been feeling especially vulnerable and queried whether they think it's appropriate to stare at men and objectify us in this way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ask out and if she says no leave it some men just can't take no for an answer i have no idea why people are sticking up for this blokes behavior.
    You have spoken to him the one time so he may well leave it next time he sees you.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

i`m a bit confused, is it a one off or has it happened three times?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you need to be a bit more self assertive and confident. This man is laying on the chat to a pretty girl. Some women respond to it some don't. You have said no to him. If he does it again, say no again louder. You can't title every bit of unwanted attention as sexual harrassment. Believe me, once you hit 40 and become invisible, these occasions become a fond memory :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`m a bit confused, is it a one off or has it happened three times?

TO be clear.

I made a thread months ago about sexual harresment that was a one off.

the new situation is a about this man who is giving out leaflets he asked for my number twice before i ignore him.the third time he followed 100 yrds down the road asked me if i wanted a leaflet i had one he asked me for my number i told him i had a boyfriend i was waiting to cross the road he them asked me to lunch ignored him he waited for a few seconds realized i was not going anywhere until he left he then went back to the station to give out papers.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. It appears that the OP is somewhat over-sensitive. There is a huge difference between sexual-harrassment and just the annoyances of day-to-day life.

You clearly don't understand the meaning of sexual harrassment.

In days gone by, it used to be defined/excused as men being men, just one of those things, etc - which is why sexual harrassment laws were introduced in the first place -when people were no longer prepard to make excuses for such people.

It seems some are still doing the excusing bit. Doesn't change the fact - that the rest of us recognise it for what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I think you need to be a bit more self assertive and confident. This man is laying on the chat to a pretty girl. Some women respond to it some don't. You have said no to him. If he does it again, say no again louder. You can't title every bit of unwanted attention as sexual harrassment. Believe me, once you hit 40 and become invisible, these occasions become a fond memory :)

Getting older and missing male attention is no reason to advise young girls to put up with it, or even enjoy it. Please, is this 2013 or 1950's.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand the meaning of sexual harrassment.

In days gone by, it used to be defined/excused as men being men, just one of those things, etc - which is why sexual harrassment laws were introduced in the first place -when people were no longer prepard to make excuses for such people.

It seems some are still doing the excusing bit. Doesn't change the fact - that the rest of us recognise it for what it is.

Thank you for your most informative and instructive post. :)

BTW I have been around long enough know exactly what sexual harrassment and sexual assault is, having experienced both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TO be clear.

I made a thread months ago about sexual harresment that was a one off.

the new situation is a about this man who is giving out leaflets he asked for my number twice before i ignore him.the third time he followed 100 yrds down the road asked me if i wanted a leaflet i had one he asked me for my number i told him i had a boyfriend i was waiting to cross the road he them asked me to lunch ignored him he waited for a few seconds realized i was not going anywhere until he left he then went back to the station to give out papers.
    So he followed you down the road a little way just the once. You answered negativeyl to both his questions then ignored him and he then went away?
    I really think you're reading too much into it. If though he follows you again just report it. If he just asks for your number when you walk past then personally I'd ignore it. He probably doesn't recognise you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting older and missing male attention is no reason to advise young girls to put up with it, or even enjoy it. Please, is this 2013 or 1950's.

I haven't told her to put up with it or enjoy it. Please read my whole post, especially the bit where I told her to be assertive and say No, and not cherry pick the bits to suit your agenda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your most informative and instructive post. :)

BTW I have been around long enough know exactly what sexual harrassment and sexual assault is, having experienced both.

Haven't we all. And what most of us learn from it - is not to put up with it or treat it as a bit of fun - or, god forbid, be flattered by it. It is that attitude that allowed men to get away with it for so long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I haven't told her to put up with it or enjoy it. Please read my whole post, especially the bit where I told her to be assertive and say No, and not cherry pick the bits to suit your agenda.

You most certainly implied she should be flattered by it and enjoy it while she could.

How about a bit of responsibility and accountability being put on the blokes to learn what is and what is not appropriate behaviour.

The op found the situation uncomfortable and intimidating, hence the thread -shame on any women attempting to undermine how the experience made her feel, whether they believe they would have felt that way in that situation or not.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you consider that "sexual harrassment" also takes place in the natural world, where in just about every courtship / pre-mating ritual of which I am aware, the male takes the assertive lead?

If so it seems to be a hard-wired fact to a greater or lesser degree, of male biology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You most certainly implied she should be flattered by it and enjoy it while she could.

How about a bit of responsibility and accountability being put on the blokes to learn what is and what is not appropriate behaviour.

The op found the situation uncomfortable and intimidating, hence the thread -shame on any women attempting to undermine how the experience made her feel, whether they believe they would have felt that way in that situation or not.

I didn't imply that she should do anything or feel a certain way.

Sexual harrassment isn't exlusive to males so not sure why you single out men to learn what is acceptable and appropriate behaviour. Everyone should be responsible for their own behaviour.

Nobody has undermined her feelings. She has been given good advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Do you consider that "sexual harrassment" also takes place in the natural world, where in just about every courtship / pre-mating ritual of which I am aware, the male takes the assertive lead?

The male taking the lead is not so predominant in the Western world as it used to be - things are a lot more relaxed now.

Sexual harrassment is everywhere, we all know it - the point is we don't make excuses for it, or tolerate it if it makes us feel uncomfortable or intimidated. Men are not children - they should know better.