Options

Female boxers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »
    Also beings how domestic abuse is 90% aimed at women, would female boxing not desensitise men to the image of a woman being beaten up and exasperate the issue?

I'd like to know where you got that statistic and also no it doesn't, boxing is a sport, just as any sport has a danger attached to it.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh OK. Good to see the decades of research on desensitisation techniques by academics was in fact true. Begining to think some random genius of wit from an internet forum might know more for a second then.

Oh really? There is research that shows that watching women box cause men to beat their wives and girlfriends....oh sorry, let me but that in terms you can understand....'chicks and birds'?

I thought that was something you just pulled out of your ass, but if you have research that shows an actual causal link....bring it.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Also beings how domestic abuse is 90% aimed at women, would female boxing not desensitise men to the image of a woman being beaten up and exasperate the issue?

thought this was a serious thread for a moment then read that, what absolute tosh

look up katie taylor and nicola adams both very good female boxers
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different to watching men boxing. As long as both contenders are through their choice, and are aware of the dangers, it's up to them.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about Boxing but Women's MMA these days seems to be more exciting than the men! they go all out!

who is that blonde mma fighter who likes to pull her opponents arm out of the socket? Not a lass you'd want to mess with :eek:
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    No different to watching men boxing. As long as both contenders are through their choice, and are aware of the dangers, it's up to them.

Indeed.

I do kickboxing as opposed to boxing, and I have only competed twice, both of which were semi-contact not full contact (I am not a) confident enough or b) good enough yet to do full contact), but I love it and I see no reason why women should not do it.

Sparring and competing gives a way to apply the techniques learned rather than just using bags, and it's good fun. Sparring is one of the best energy releases for me, it's just brilliant. The commitment to training is great too, the challenge, the nerves, the excitement, the achievement, etc, etc.

There are safety rules/procedures in place, and whilst there are always risks in any contact sport, that applies to both genders and as long as both participants are aware of that I see no issue.
  • Options
    LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Oh really? There is research that shows that watching women box cause men to beat their wives and girlfriends....oh sorry, let me but that in terms you can understand....'chicks and birds'?

I thought that was something you just pulled out of your ass, but if you have research that shows an actual causal link....bring it.
    Find a dictionary and then come back to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bit contradictory isn't it?

If she wants to do it then that's her prerogative, just support her.
    No, it's called human emotion. It's like those women who get beat up..I mean why do they stay with those men if they know what they are doing is wrong?

What you think and what you feel can be two different things. I said I'm not sure how I FEEL about the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find a dictionary and then come back to me.

So that's a "yes, Primal, I did indeed pull some BS out of my ass because I noticed that 'cus I don't like it' was not enough of a reason for other people, so thought some made up crap to support my argument would go down well" then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And it's perfectly fine for men to do all that to each other?
    Men and women are not the same thing in case you hae not noticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    thought this was a serious thread for a moment then read that, what absolute tosh

look up katie taylor and nicola adams both very good female boxers
    There is a reason some films and video games have an 18 certificate.

The only tosh is this liberal nonsense of women being equal to men in every respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's a "yes, Primal, I did indeed pull some BS out of my ass because I noticed that 'cus I don't like it' was not enough of a reason for other people, so thought some made up crap to support my argument would go down well" then?
    desensitising - making less susceptible or sensitive to either physical or emotional stimuli

The only reason a lot of men don't hit women is because it's frowned upon in society. But if they are equal to men then the next time a woman mouths off I'll slap her the same way I would a bloke, yeah?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's called human emotion. It's like those women who get beat up..I mean why do they stay with those men if they know what they are doing is wrong?

What you think and what you feel can be two different things. I said I'm not sure how I FEEL about the whole thing.

You're entitled to feel how you like about it. But comparing Domestic Violence to a sport is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're entitled to feel how you like about it. But comparing Domestic Violence to a sport is ridiculous.
    Are you lot thick or what? How can you not get what I'm saying lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men and women are not the same thing in case you hae not noticed.

You never answered my question, so you believe it's fine for men to beat the hell out of each other but not women?

Which means what you originally said is contradictory, you said you're all for equality.

You can feel how you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you lot thick or what? How can you not get what I'm saying lol

Don't insult me please. I haven't insulted you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom line is no one is interested in female boxing to any significant degree otherwise it would be a mainstream sport on TV. But accourding to you lot, women are equal blah blah blah so I guess the media must be sexist or something because everyone wants to watch it as much as male boxong? right?

YAWN!

This is why your society is so messed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    desensitising - making less susceptible or sensitive to either physical or emotional stimuli

Citation - providing some evidence for the claims that one just pulled out of one's butt.

Last time Ill ask (maybe you got confused last time). Do you have a link to research that shows that men watching female boxing causes those men to become violent towards women?
    The only reason a lot of men don't hit women is because it's frowned upon in society. But if they are equal to men then the next time a woman mouths off I'll slap her the same way I would a bloke, yeah?

Are you under the impression women's boxing involves a woman vs a man? Because that's the only way the above connects to this in anyway.

Also interesting you admit to violent tendencies when people say things you don't like.

Are you perhaps concerned that if you go and watch your friend box you might start hitting her?

If so I strongly agree that YOU should not watch her or any other woman box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottom line is no one is interested in female boxing to any significant degree otherwise it would be a mainstream sport on TV.

So therefore it should be banned? :confused:

No stamp collecting on TV either: So that should be banned too right?
    But accourding to you lot, women are equal blah blah blah

Yeah, you might have an issue with that, that's your problem.

You got a lot of problems don't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never answered my question, so you believe it's fine for men to beat the hell out of each other but not women?

Which means what you originally said is contradictory, you said you're all for equality.

You can feel how you like.
    How can I control my feelings lol? I can say and do anything, but how can I control how I feel? Are you the though police or something? Are you telling me what I should and shouldn't think and feel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You got a lot of problems don't you?
    You're the one on the defensive, not me. When you come away from that computer screen it will still be a mans world out there so preach all you want here because no one in the real world is listening, clearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So therefore it should be banned? :confused:

No stamp collecting on TV either: So that should be banned too right?
    And at what point have I said it should be banned? What are you talking about lol
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottom line is no one is interested in female boxing to any significant degree otherwise it would be a mainstream sport on TV.

LOL Wut? First you're wondering how you'll feel about watching this 'chick' in a boxing match and now it's "nobody is interested in female boxing? But what does that have to do with the price of fish?
    But accourding to you lot, women are equal blah blah blah so I guess the media must be sexist or something because everyone wants to watch it as much as male boxong? right?

YAWN!

People actually want to watch "male boxing"? Still failing to see what any of the above has to do with anything.

What's your society then?
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure that statistic is correct, but in any event, knowing a woman is a trained boxer would be more likely to put someone off assaulting her, I would think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citation - providing some evidence for the claims that one just pulled out of one's butt.

Last time Ill ask (maybe you got confused last time). Do you have a link to research that shows that men watching female boxing causes those men to become violent towards women?
    There is tons of info on the subject of desensitisation. Look it up, you have google.
    Are you under the impression women's boxing involves a woman vs a man? Because that's the only way the above connects to this in anyway.

Also interesting you admit to violent tendencies when people say things you don't like.

Are you perhaps concerned that if you go and watch your friend box you might start hitting her?

If so I strongly agree that YOU should not watch her or any other woman box.
    Well if women are equal to men then all I need is a boxing ring to beat the shit out of as many women as I like? cool.