Options

Shooting in Woolwich, London

Comments

• Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    Yeah, very disturbing. Although I wouldn't say he looked muslim, as the BBC were claiming.

Exactly! He looked like any other black man on the street. What do Muslims look like anyway :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is the itv footage online?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV just showed video of one of the guys apparently responsible.

Warning: Graphic. http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-22/exclusive-man-with-bloodied-hands-at-woolwich-scene/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Urr try telling that to the victim's family

Are you disputing that the risk to any given person from terrorism is almost zero, or just spouting trite, boring crap for the sake of it?

If a man is killed by lightening nobody suggests we need to invest in a national anti-lightening shield. Anyone who suggested we waste billions on such nonsense would be told to shut up and stop being a moron.

But if someone is killed by terrorists - even though terrorism is so utterly rare - people start running round like total cretins saying 'something must be done'. And then people like you say I can't point out that terrorism is incredibly rare because it might upset the families of the victim?

I wouldn't tell the family of a victim of a lightening strike that lightning strikes or so stupidly rare there's no point worrying about them - because it would be insensitive. But I'd tell anyone else. Because it's true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier, they'll be looking at the possibility of further such attacks on Forces personnel and assessing what level of security alert to call.

I cannot see how it is possible to stop such an attack. These weapons are freely available.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The BBC weren't claiming that, they were just reporting what supposed eyewitnesses were claiming
    I think it came from government sources (According to Nick Robinson), which makes it more interesting.

(And no I'm not suggesting a conspiracy, since it does appear to be some kind of muslim terrorist attack judging by what the guy with the knife in the ITV video says.)
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    No take them to hospital and feed them chicken soup, you never know the NHS nurses might be made to sing them a lullaby.

That might make you happy.:)

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    deffo. that'll teach em lol.

And your basing this on what one attack of a few terror attacks. this is nothing to do with multiculturalism its to do with a load of nut jobs.

To be fair, South London is full of machete and knife-wielding thugs who are not Muslim terrorists.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I wasn't, no. I have morals and compassion both. Yourself? Well, your posts say you don't.

I'm nobody's apologist, love, I'm simply pointing out that a nurse doesn't get to decide who they treat. They do their job. The one they are paid to do.

Great attempt at playing the victim and casting aspersions though, well done!

Now I'm not playing the victim ,but if I was near on on the scene I'd do whatever I could to try to help him but given the severity of his injuries that would be a futile effort but nonetheless id do what ever I could.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took 20 minutes for the police to arrive. If this was the USA, any cop could have shot them.

For armed police to arrive , others were cordoning off the area and waiting at a safe distance as they should , and no earleir arrival would have saved the man sadly.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An inside terrorist. It just gets better don't it.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahahha. You can't make this up. So if they had guns, everyone would be totally fooked.

According to one eyewitness at least one of them was in possession of a hand gun.

They made no attempt to attack anyone until the ARV arrived - which (imho) clearly indicates that this was an attack targetting the security forces (Police & Army)
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    To be fair, South London is full of machete and knife-wielding thugs who are not Muslim terrorists.

I think "full" is a little OTT ?
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,093
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »
    Are you disputing that the risk to any given person from terrorism is almost zero, or just spouting trite, boring crap for the sake of it?

If a man is killed by lightening nobody suggests we need to invest in a national anti-lightening shield. Anyone who suggested we waste billions on such nonsense would be told to shut up and stop being a moron.

But if someone is killed by terrorists - even though terrorism is so utterly rare - people start running round like total cretins saying 'something must be done'. And then people like you say I can't point out that terrorism is incredibly rare because it might upset the families of the victim?

I wouldn't tell the family of a victim of a lightening strike that lightning strikes or so stupidly rare there's no point worrying about them - because it would be insensitive. But I'd tell anyone else. Because it's true.

Yes the risk to any person from being affected by terrorism is low, but that's not a reason to ignore it. There is little chance of being attacked by a dangerous dog, but that's not a reason to try and take sensible precautions to stop these attacks from happening.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Griffins wife is a nurse

bloody amazes me that does

If she's HIS nurse it would kinda make sense.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV just showed video of one of the guys apparently responsible.

Warning: Graphic. http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-22/exclusive-man-with-bloodied-hands-at-woolwich-scene/

Shocking.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    And he didn't even look Middle Eastern or East African. Just plain old IC3.

Half of Nigeria is Muslim, that could be his heritage.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No take them to hospital and feed them chicken soup,

.:)

or pork chops and sausages.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Well tbh wev'e heard it all before from you many times....

We have? What have we heard?
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he was definitely a Londoner. Apologised that women had to witness it!:eek:
    That bit was slightly surreal. If it wasn't so shocking it would be almost amusing in an ironic way I guess.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I'm glad they were shot. Scum like that shouldn't be allowed to live.

They are not dead apparently. They've been treated in hospital according to a police spokesman said in a statement. I think one of them is seriously injured, though.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

No it isn't.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering about that. Is there any situation where torture becomes justified ? I believe there is, providing there is a reasonable expectation that it could save lives.
    Of course, some will argue that it never works. But I'm not so sure, it's more than likely that we wouldn't know about the success or otherwise of any extreme forms of interrogation anyway.
    No, but you've shown in your post how terrorism can work - it causes hysterical panic, leading to justifying torture.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    The video only appears to be on ITV News. Sky/BBC may not show it if ITN have exclusivity. I don't think the BBC would show that anyway, it was quite shocking for 6.30pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I wondered how long Islam would be blamed.

Absolutely ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.