Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Shop Girl, have you been to PI?

No - only time in Britain I drove from Gretna Green down to London and then took the train to Paris before flying home. Didn't know about Cornwall then :D

I did, however, tour the Coronation Street set in Manchester. Sadly, the following year they permanently closed it to tours :cry:

On my second trip to Ireland I went to Avoca where they filmed BallyK. What a treat that was! Similar to how I know I will feel if I can get to PI. Just gotta try to get these knees in better shape or replaced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Stewart Wright (Mark Mylow) just tweeted that he'll be appearing in a new show, Love and Marriage, airing 9 p.m. (English time) this Wednesday and presumably on Wednesdays thereafter.

Stewart plays a father of three in the show. I hope it does well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Shop Girl, you've surpassed yourself with this find. As best I can tell from the linked flickr pages, you managed to locate this house more than 20 miles up the coast from Port Isaac based primarily on a rounded hilltop in one quick scene, a more jagged hill in a completely different scene, and the shape of a a small tree in yet another scene.

I bow down to you :D !

I hope Michael and Mrs. Thing offered you scones and tea upon your virtual arrival at the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    whale wrote: »
    Does anyone else wonder what is going on with the "extreme" weight loss, especially as this series follows on and will be quite noticeable. Also someone mentioned that they saw how frail AR was, what is going on in Port Wenn, I am beginning to wonder if there is going to be a "not so nice ending" to this series! Just wondering out loud.....

I wonder if he is getting in shape for the project he just signed for a few months ago, the name which escapes me now. Or maybe it was prompted by his ascent into his 50's and wanting to be healthier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    More spirals around MC projects

I was watching Doc Martin, Legend of the Cloutie last night - and I had not previously noticed 2 things.

The husband wanting to buy Tregrunnt is also Theo Wenns father
    The realtor's name is Shawcross , Rupert I think, but I only noticed it in the credits. I did not notice at first even though I had the subtitles on.

Someone has probably mentioned this in the past but did you hear in one of the earlier episodes, DM asking a woman on the street about her child using the local pool and the name used was Emily Braithwaite, combining Phillipa's maiden name and their daughter, Emily. I'm sure I'm botching up the scene content but just wondered how many of you took note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my second trip to Ireland I went to Avoca where they filmed BallyK. What a treat that was! Similar to how I know I will feel if I can get to PI. Just gotta try to get these knees in better shape or replaced.

I have arthritis, Shop Girl, and back problems (I refuse to have the back surgery an orthopaedic doc recommended because everyone I know who has had back surgery ends up worse off within a few years -- so far I've managed with the help of physical therapy). Still intended to go to PI for filming this year but ran out of funds when a big home repair expense reared its ugly head.

This is what I wonder. Those of you who have been to PI, is there any kind of scooter rental service? No, I don't mean the kind Pauline rode through the village at a scary fast clip. I'm talking about the electric kind a senior citizen or person with physical limitations might rent.

1. This might be a help to fans like us (if there really ends up being a S7).
    2. If there isn't, oh, MY, this is a PI business opportunity waiting to happen, isn't it? :) Hm, thinking, thinking, and wondering about the immigration laws related to foreigners (like me) coming to Cornwall to start businesses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Shop Girl, you've surpassed yourself with this find. As best I can tell from the linked flickr pages, you managed to locate this house more than 20 miles up the coast from Port Isaac based primarily on a rounded hilltop in one quick scene, a more jagged hill in a completely different scene, and the shape of a a small tree in yet another scene.

I bow down to you :D !

I hope Michael and Mrs. Thing offered you scones and tea upon your virtual arrival at the house.

LOL! Actually, I have just learned how to look for background stuff and the shapes of the buildings so I can recognize them from above.

It's been fun to watch for the little tidbits we are getting for S6 and I am saving them to help with my quest this fall. For instance, someone had a pic of MC outside the Wadebridge library where he is doing some filming. Good clue for me to keep ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I have arthritis, Shop Girl, and back problems (I refuse to have the back surgery an orthopaedic doc recommended because everyone I know who has had back surgery ends up worse off within a few years -- so far I've managed with the help of physical therapy). Still intended to go to PI for filming this year but ran out of funds when a big home repair expense reared its ugly head.

This is what I wonder. Those of you who have been to PI, is there any kind of scooter rental service? No, I don't mean the kind Pauline rode through the village at a scary fast clip. I'm talking about the electric kind a senior citizen or person with physical limitations might rent.

1. This might be a help to fans like us (if there really ends up being a S7).
    2. If there isn't, oh, MY, this is a PI business opportunity waiting to happen, isn't it? :) Hm, thinking, thinking, and wondering about the immigration laws related to foreigners (like me) coming to Cornwall to start businesses.

Ouch! I hear ya. I need a cane to get around these days and even then I can't walk very far at all. Can't do any kind of grocery shopping - but I love Amazon Prime cause I have been ordering a lot of stuff I might normally get at Walgreens and delivered to my door for free in two days. While I really want to get to PI, I could never handle the walking, much less the hills. But I'm working on it and hope to make things better eventually and then I will visit. Probably better to go when not filming so I wouldn't have to fight the crowds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At facebook, filming at the Wadebridge library (wonder what that's about). Click next to see an up to date list of late May and June filming locations.

[https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151597868952114&set=gm.10151696630551660&type=1&theater

And about a zillion photos of MC filming (yesterday, I think) at Wadebridge, Bert/Ian in PI, the Lexus, and bunches of PI photos here. Don't give up, keep clicking at the second link below to see several new MC filming photos (I swear, keep clicking next):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151597897092114&set=a.434482162113.221718.565347113&type=1&theater

and here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151597880637114&set=a.10151597880562114.1073741826.565347113&type=1&theater
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he is getting in shape for the project he just signed for a few months ago, the name which escapes me now. Or maybe it was prompted by his ascent into his 50's and wanting to be healthier.

The word "Strike" was in the title I think. He was a (semi?) retired MI5 or MI6 operative in Beirut. But I think it is being filmed in Hungary. He may already have filmed his part.

There are a lot of reasons why someone might be told to get the weight off -- hypertension, diabetes 2, arthritis, and lots more I don't know about.

Also, if he's riding horses a lot, he's exercising very vigorously, and apparently he's also running now?

Turning 50 probably also adds a bit of an incentive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch! I hear ya. I need a cane to get around these days and even then I can't walk very far at all. Can't do any kind of grocery shopping - but I love Amazon Prime cause I have been ordering a lot of stuff I might normally get at Walgreens and delivered to my door for free in two days. While I really want to get to PI, I could never handle the walking, much less the hills. But I'm working on it and hope to make things better eventually and then I will visit. Probably better to go when not filming so I wouldn't have to fight the crowds.

Now you're scaring me. :eek: I'm really worried about those hills.

But, Biff, my understanding is that if you want to run a business (or live) in Cornwall, you can only do it for 6 months at a time (maybe 6 months out of a 12 month period.) Very recently, the American wife of a British citizen that we're related to, was refused extension of her 6 month visa. Maybe it's different if you are running a business and creating jobs, I don't know. Or if you get a student visa, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will do it Rob. I've never "signed up" and I presume you have to do so in order to leave comments or follow someone?

I allow anonymous or guest comments on all my stories. Thanks for asking NewPark!

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    No - only time in Britain I drove from Gretna Green down to London and then took the train to Paris before flying home. Didn't know about Cornwall then :D

I did, however, tour the Coronation Street set in Manchester. Sadly, the following year they permanently closed it to tours :cry:

Well Shop Girl - there are lots of us who will never have the chance to get there for one reason or another and just know that your efforts at finding all the locations is so appreciated.

One of the events that cemented the forum for me was all of your efforts on all the different kitchens in the series. I originally worried that I was alone in the world of the every changing kitchen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    I allow anonymous or guest comments on all my stories. Thanks for asking NewPark!

Rob

Rob, I did not think that the site allowed it. I tried a couple of times on various stories and was always blocked as was not signed in. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone has probably mentioned this in the past but did you hear in one of the earlier episodes, DM asking a woman on the street about her child using the local pool and the name used was Emily Braithwaite, combining Phillipa's maiden name and their daughter, Emily. I'm sure I'm botching up the scene content but just wondered how many of you took note.

This episode, S1E3 I think, is on PBS as I am writing and that scene was just on.

Also, the name Emily Braithwaite was used recently in another British series, the Bletchley Circle and we on the forum has a go round on that also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode, S1E3 I think, is on PBS as I am writing and that scene was just on.

Also, the name Emily Braithwaite was used recently in another British series, the Bletchley Circle and we on the forum has a go round on that also.

There is also a UK show called "At Home with the Braithwaites" with Emily Braithwaite as one of the characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Rob! He found the spot where Martin & Louisa had their picnic and experienced the earthquake! I was able to confirm it using some Google images - will post it all tomorrow.

First Biff, now Rob :D. We'll nail the rest of these locations down - I'm sure of it!

Then we will have to set up a "Doc Martin Tour Map" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stewart Wright (Mark Mylow) just tweeted that he'll be appearing in a new show, Love and Marriage, airing 9 p.m. (English time) this Wednesday and presumably on Wednesdays thereafter.
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Stewart plays a father of three in the show. I hope it does well!

There's a preview on ITV.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/love-and-marriage-ep1-video

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/love-and-marriage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to Rob! He found the spot where Martin & Louisa had their picnic and experienced the earthquake! I was able to confirm it using some Google images - will post it all tomorrow.

First Biff, now Rob :D. We'll nail the rest of these locations down - I'm sure of it!

Then we will have to set up a "Doc Martin Tour Map" :rolleyes:

Now that we know where it is (and just off the SW Coastal Path too) you grab the hamper with goodies, and I'll get some wine and meet you there! :D

Rob
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

I think the weight MC has lost has unfortunately turned up on Stewart Wright. ;):) But, the show does look fun! I'd certainly turn it on if I lived in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think the weight MC has lost has unfortunately turned up on Stewart Wright. ;):) But, the show does look fun! I'd certainly turn it on if I lived in the UK.

I see from the previews that another actor I know well is in the series. Graeme Hawley played a major character in Coronation Street for several years and was killed off a year or so ago. Will be fun to see him too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Now you're scaring me. :eek: I'm really worried about those hills.

But, Biff, my understanding is that if you want to run a business (or live) in Cornwall, you can only do it for 6 months at a time (maybe 6 months out of a 12 month period.) Very recently, the American wife of a British citizen that we're related to, was refused extension of her 6 month visa. Maybe it's different if you are running a business and creating jobs, I don't know. Or if you get a student visa, I guess.

If one is willing to go over to France every five months or so, a US citizen doesn't need a visa at all. I have spent over six months in England on three occasions but punctuated my stay by a trip to the continent. I was often asked why I was in England on my return (and maybe on my initial arrival) but my answer--academic research--sufficed. My daughter spent 19 months in England without a problem about two decades ago. I don't know what kinds of questions would be asked if there were repeated five month departures in the passport but even that could be avoided by getting a renewed passport at a US consulate (such as one would need to do if the passport were lost) so that repeated entries wouldn't show.

But, that doesn't answer the question of employment or starting a business. i've known americans who have had casual employment (in a pub or as an au pair, for instance) while in England as students, but I suspect such opportunities are limited--and I doubt such employment would appeal to digital spy afficiandos.

On walking in PI, I use a cane (lumbar stenosis) and have cranky knees but i managed. At some cost, one could book a room at Schoolhouse hotel (which has parking) and be very close to the harbour, but even the walk from the parking area at the top of the road wasn't that taxing. What might be more of a challenge for those who haven't driven in the UK, is driving on the left down narrow lanes which are all too common in Cornwall both generally and certainly around PI--some only one way, but, often scarier, are ones which are ostensibly two way and have farm trucks barrelling along them coming at you..

On another point, Shop Girl, you have done truly amazing work--you should have been the role model for the Bletchley Circle group. I fancy myself as geographically astute and have tried to do some of the locating you have done with some success, but you have far surpassed what I was able to do. Equally amazing is what is available on google and the internet which allows you to do such refined searching. My hat is off to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    If one is willing to go over to France every five months or so, a US citizen doesn't need a visa at all. I have spent over six months in England on three occasions but punctuated my stay by a trip to the continent. I was often asked why I was in England on my return (and maybe on my initial arrival) but my answer--academic research--sufficed. My daughter spent 19 months in England without a problem about two decades ago. I don't know what kinds of questions would be asked if there were repeated five month departures in the passport but even that could be avoided by getting a renewed passport at a US consulate (such as one would need to do if the passport were lost) so that repeated entries wouldn't show.

But, that doesn't answer the question of employment or starting a business. i've known americans who have had casual employment (in a pub or as an au pair, for instance) while in England as students, but I suspect such opportunities are limited--and I doubt such employment would appeal to digital spy afficiandos.

On walking in PI, I use a cane (lumbar stenosis) and have cranky knees but i managed. At some cost, one could book a room at Schoolhouse hotel (which has parking) and be very close to the harbour, but even the walk from the parking area at the top of the road wasn't that taxing. What might be more of a challenge for those who haven't driven in the UK, is driving on the left down narrow lanes which are all too common in Cornwall both generally and certainly around PI--some only one way, but, often scarier, are ones which are ostensibly two way and have farm trucks barrelling along them coming at you..

On another point, Shop Girl, you have done truly amazing work--you should have been the role model for the Bletchley Circle group. I fancy myself as geographically astute and have tried to do some of the locating you have done with some success, but you have far surpassed what I was able to do. Equally amazing is what is available on google and the internet which allows you to do such refined searching. My hat is off to you.

I knew that a U.S. citizen doesn't need a visa to stay for 6 months, but was unaware that you could start another 6 month period after a brief trip back to the U.S. Does Europe count for that these days since England is (still) in the EU? Anyway, thanks for the info -- we are contemplating buying a small place in England, near our daughter and granddaughters.

You can get student visas -- my daughter went to university there, but at that time was required to register at the local police station as a resident alien.

Also, thanks for the reassurance about walking. I do own a cane which I will bring with me, specifically for the hills. We are staying at the Schoolhouse hotel, to minimize walking hopefully.

Yes, ShopGirl is amazing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I knew that a U.S. citizen doesn't need a visa to stay for 6 months, but was unaware that you could start another 6 month period after a brief trip back to the U.S. Does Europe count for that these days since England is (still) in the EU? Anyway, thanks for the info -- we are contemplating buying a small place in England, near our daughter and granddaughters.

You can get student visas -- my daughter went to university there, but at that time was required to register at the local police station as a resident alien.

Also, thanks for the reassurance about walking. I do own a cane which I will bring with me, specifically for the hills. We are staying at the Schoolhouse hotel, to minimize walking hopefully.

Yes, ShopGirl is amazing!

The older EU members now have an agreement (Schengen, I think it is called) which does not require showing passports when travelling between them (and didn't last month when I travelled between Paris and Copenhagen), but I think UK might still look for a passport or EU ID card when coming across the channel. But, Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU so flying to one of them would result in a requirement to present a passport on return thus likely start a new six month period.

I have a recollection that a retired person with a reasonable pension can get a visa for living in the UK for extended periods and I don't think there is any restriction on foreigners buying property there. But don't rely on my recollections or thoughts on the subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    The older EU members now have an agreement (Schengen, I think it is called) which does not require showing passports when travelling between them (and didn't last month when I travelled between Paris and Copenhagen), but I think UK might still look for a passport or EU ID card when coming across the channel. But, Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU so flying to one of them would result in a requirement to present a passport on return thus likely start a new six month period.

I have a recollection that a retired person with a reasonable pension can get a visa for living in the UK for extended periods and I don't think there is any restriction on foreigners buying property there. But don't rely on my recollections or thoughts on the subject.

Since we are (or in my husband's case about to be) retired persons of that description, I looked into that but they closed that window recently,

If we want to be permanent, we'll have to come in as "elderly dependent relatives" of my daughter who has a settlement visa. And we're not quite there yet.
This discussion has been closed.