Options

I am absolutely furious with McDonalds......

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Not only that but I don't think they should expect people to clean the table after themselves either. Sorry but I wasn't aware I was employed here or wearing a badge that says cleaner.

I would say it's common courtesy. I was taught to clear up after myself by my parents and I've taught my children the same.

But then, I've never really had a sense of entitlement. I suppose that helps.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere, on another forum, there's probably some poor KFC worker moaning about how some guy who didn't even bother chucking his rubbish in the bin hassled him for some hot water.
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic but along the lines of crap service in fast food joints, I had a major quarm with KFC about 18 months back.

Wanted some boiling or hot water so I could warm my baby's milk bottle and they refused on grounds of health and safety. But, and here's the total laughable part. The jobsworth said he could sell me a cup of tea only without the teabag in it and he'd leave the teabag on the side. That way he wasn't breaking company policy. I had no option but to purchase a cup of tealess tea for 99p and the t**t said as he handed me my cup of boiled water....'help yourself to milk and sugar.'

I looked at him and gave him the 'you f****** idiot' stare and walked off. I really should have reported this to head office. What a total act of pure idiotic bureaucracy.

It's idiots who sue these companies because of their own lack of common sense that causes them to implement these policies. I'm sure with altruism being your default position you wouldn't want the poor guy to lose his job now would you?

BTW, you can buy portable bottle warmers if your baby can't drink it's milk at room temperature.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Well no, it's not your job, and you don't HAVE to do it, but it's just basic human decency. Why on earth wouldn't you chuck your own rubbish away and make someone else's crap job just that tiny bit easier?

Because I'm not expected to do it in any other cafe or restaurant so why are American junk food outlets any different? They already employ people to clean up so why should I do someone else's job for them? I can't believe some people are so soft as to fall for this trick. It's just a way of companies getting away with employing less staff by getting the customers to do their job for them.

When I go out and pay someone else for service I don't expect to do my own cleaning up. I do enough of that at home. I'm paying them for the service not them paying me to do their job for them.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I'm not expected to do it in any other cafe or restaurant so why are American junk food outlets any different? They already employ people to clean up so why should I do someone else's job for them? I can't believe some people are so soft as to fall for this trick. It's just a way of companies getting away with employing less staff by getting the customers to do their job for them.

When I go out and pay someone else for service I don't expect to do my own cleaning up. I do enough of that at home. I'm paying them for the service not them paying me to do their job for them.

Do you ever take your glass back to the bar in the pub?
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're paying them for the food. FAST food. It's not a traditional restaurant service, you acknowledge this but moan about it at the same time. It really sounds like you're just looking for something to complain about for the sake of it. How difficult is it to just pick up a tray and slip what's on it into a bin and stick the tray right there on the top of it? How much of a crushing hardship is that really???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you ever take your glass back to the bar in the pub?

Only when I want them refilling. ;)
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem I have with McDs is the size of the sauce holder you get at the dispenser. I normally use the lid off my coffee for the sauce
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I would say it's common courtesy. I was taught to clear up after myself by my parents and I've taught my children the same.

Neither have I but surely it's their job to clear up after me? It's included in the price of the food and drink sn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    The only problem I have with McDs is the size of the sauce holder you get at the dispenser. I normally use the lid off my coffee for the sauce

My hubby once took his own bottle of Heinz ketchup and got told off and kicked out, :mad: As he pointed out, he was saving them money by not having theirs.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have 2 in Leamington, one in town (no drive thru) and other in a retail park with drive thru. The one in town is always on the ball, never had any issues with orders but the drive thru used to be shockingly bad. EVERY order I did, and bearing in mind it wasn't a huge order. As it was a drive thru order I stupidly assumed it was all ok, but it never was, I had to start getting out of my car and go in just to order and to check there and then. One day in a rush I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried the drive thru again, but no they messed up, this time I was at home and they had forgotten the 6 nuggets. I did ring them up and complain (always geta receipt as it helps them identify your order) and I got a free order next time I went in(bonus!) Since then they have actually improved alot
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic but along the lines of crap service in fast food joints, I had a major quarm with KFC about 18 months back.

Wanted some boiling or hot water so I could warm my baby's milk bottle and they refused on grounds of health and safety. But, and here's the total laughable part. The jobsworth said he could sell me a cup of tea only without the teabag in it and he'd leave the teabag on the side. That way he wasn't breaking company policy. I had no option but to purchase a cup of tealess tea for 99p and the t**t said as he handed me my cup of boiled water....'help yourself to milk and sugar.'

I looked at him and gave him the 'you f****** idiot' stare and walked off. I really should have reported this to head office. What a total act of pure idiotic bureaucracy.
    So company rules say they can't give you hot water, but rather than just tell you this and leave it at that as he should have this person was willing to work around those rules to help you out.

And his reward for such help was to be refered to as a t**t, given a f****** idiot stare and then you even considered reporting him for helping you out?

Charming.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somewhere, on another forum, there's probably some poor KFC worker moaning about how some guy who didn't even bother chucking his rubbish in the bin hassled him for some hot water.

Even though, according to signs in my local one, it's company policy not to provide baby food//bottle warming items.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    If you want half decent service in McDonald's just go between 12-2 or 5-7, order a value meal and ask for a receipt.
  • Options
    coolasfunkcoolasfunk Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Well no, it's not your job, and you don't HAVE to do it, but it's just basic human decency. Why on earth wouldn't you chuck your own rubbish away and make someone else's crap job just that tiny bit easier?

I don't think the answer is too hard to work out.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Why?
    Neither have I but surely it's their job to clear up after me? It's included in the price of the food and drink sn't it? :confused:
    It doesn't cause me a massive effort to clear up after myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha! They don't refill them now though do they, you get a clean one every time. Ah the good ol' days when you bought a round and took all the glasses to be refilled, you might get someone else's second time round. Pretty disgusting really!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! They don't refill them now though do they, you get a clean one every time. Ah the good ol' days when you bought a round and took all the glasses to be refilled, you might get someone else's second time round. Pretty disgusting really!

Don't any pubs refill glasses any more? I never knew that! Are they not allowed to? Bet it's some daft EC rule. :(
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    akhenaten wrote: »
    I have no problem with Mcdonalds, but i think they should be made to employ people to clear up there litter, it's not good enough to leave it to the local councils.

My local council have told me, they charge takeways directly for clearing up their litter from a distance of 200 metres to the shop entrance.
    Funny because it says so clearly on the sign outside that it's a restaurant.

www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/images/070714_mcdonalds.jpg

For me that is just marketing.

A restaurant IMO is where you get at table service (waiter or waitress), and by that, I don't mean just clearing away any left behinds.
    What utter rubbish! They can't give me it because of health and safety but they can sell me a scolding hot tea without the teabag in it. Other than the exchange of money what's the difference? McDonalds have no problems with it nor do many other restaurants. Anyway it's their loss because I haven't been in there since. Got no time for idiotic bureaucracy and moronic jobsworths. Especially when he knew what I wanted it for and still had the idiocracy to tell me to help myself to milk and sugar.

My post was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.

And relax.

Anyway. You did the right thing by taking your business elsewhere. Staff are only doing their jobs and are following company guidelines (whether you think they are right or wrong). If they don't, they could risk losing their jobs. Personally, I agree with you. It does sound all a bit daft.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah report the staff to head office for following company policy, that'll really annoy them :rolleyes:

I bet if the milk heated in the hot water scalded the babies throat you'd be the first one screaming your head off and ringing injury lawyers 4 u.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, when people buy coffee, scald themselves with it and successfully sue places like McDonalds to the tune of millions, you can understand why some places make it tricky to simply get a cup of boiling or hot water for free....especially when there's babies involved.
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello everybody. Just to remind you this thread is about McDonalds. If you want to talk about poor customer service then good news, I have opened up another thread to cover that. Please direct all future burger king musings there.

Back to the original topic my email hasn't been responded to yet. It is a real shame.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like McDonald's. I could go a Big Mac right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

So was I and I do clear up after me when I'm at home or if I'm sat in the park eating my sandwiches but not when I'm a paying customer in someone else's establishment where the staff get paid to clear up as part of the service which I'm paying for.

When you go to a cafe or a restaurant do you stack your plates and take them back to the kitchen and scrape them in the bin? I think not. Therefore why should it be any different in McDonald's?

Sense of entitlement? What are you talking about? I AM entitled to do it. It's not as if they can say anything if I refuse to clear my tray away is it? It's not like it's some kind of company policy. I say fool you of you're soft enough to do someone else's job for them which they get paid for.
  • Options
    DojiDoji Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I agree OP, many times i have had bad experiences at certain franchises. My local maccies is good though, they always seem to get everything right, where as some always get it wrong. Burger king was the worst when we had the wrong order, went around again to get it changed and they gave it us wrong again. It doesn't surprise you as to why some people are in those kind of jobs. If you can't even get a basic meal sorted, what makes you better at anything else?