Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 22)

Comments

• Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People tend to leave around this time, i know i did when i went there a few years ago. Its only when Andy/Rafa/Fed/Novak, play people tend to stay late.

I presume tickets for court 1 aren't cheap? If I was there, I would stay all day and get my money's worth.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Or anyone for that matter.

There was no scheduled match after Andy. The others had started so they put Anne on.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, poor Anne. She hasn't had a decent run anywhere for years now, who is she playing?

She's down 6-4, 5-0 to world number 59 Gabrine Mugruza :p

And it's now over, 6-4 6-0
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's absolutely ridiculous that people find it so hard to get tickets for centre court. Thousands of people also queue for over 2 days and then they put a substandard match like this on centre.

Just goes to show what the organisers really think of the fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's absolutely ridiculous that people find it so hard to get tickets for centre court. Thousands of people also queue for over 2 days and then they put a substandard match like this on centre.

They only put it on Centre to get it finished today, it wasn't originally scheduled to be on Centre to be fair.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    I see the wildcards for the Brits worked out as well as ever.

Personally, I'd do away with the wildcards for over 20s. Leave them for youngsters such as Edmund, to give them experience and exposure, but once they get over 20 then they should be made to earn it, instead of the cushy number some get year after year.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :( So agree with you ellie. I love having the top 4 playing. Some of the match ups produce completely stunning tennis.

Hi tally! Long time, no 'speak'... Sorry to hear about all your health troubles. *hugs*
    Life supporting Rafa is never easy- you get some amazing highs, followed up by some amazing lows... I just always enjoy watching the big 4 play each other- because you know that they are going to leave it all on the court, and not give each other anything. Plus, playing each other takes their tennis up to another level. That Nadal/Djokovic semi final at the FO will live long in my memory. Rafa just wasn't going to give that up without a long old fight, and that's my favourite kind of Rafa. Fist pumping, all guns blazing, fighting for everything... We didn't get to see that Rafa today, and that makes me :( It was all a bit meek- and meek just isn't Rafa on a tennis court.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have had Fed, Sharapova and Andy to watch today.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I presume tickets for court 1 aren't cheap? If I was there, I would stay all day and get my money's worth.

A lot of tickets - even on court 1 - go to the debenture crowd. They have a guaranteed ticket daily - and probably have another freebie event to attend so its less special for them.. Others have long journeys home - so need to leave early to make trains etc.

Plus if they leave early the ground pass crowd can get in via the ticket resale process - so its all good.

Best way to see centre is to go second week when the women are playing (Tues/Thurs/Sat) and you will have little difficulty getting onto centre in the lateafternoon/early evening - albeit to watch doubles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    They only put it on Centre to get it finished today, it wasn't originally scheduled to be on Centre to be fair.

They could have found someone better surely who was scheduled to play at the same time.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, wasn't the Keovathong match only put on Centre Court as a bonus because the three previous matches had finished relatively early?

Edit: oops, too late
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    They have had Fed, Sharapova and Andy to watch today.

Yes I know but tickets are sooooooo hard to get and expensive they could surely find a couple of decent players to put on for the last match of the day.
  • Options
    Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I only turned on Today at Wimbledon to see Federer, thinking he would be on first and they have to go and torment us with reliving Rafa's match :( Couldn't bring myself to watch it, hoping Fed will be on soon.

Really hope it's nothing serious with Rafa, just maybe coming back with a bit too much too quickly and not having any time to warm up properly on grass - it does seem a bit daft there's hardly any time between these two slams. Hopefully with a bit of rest he can win a few matches at the US Open and start to get some points back.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Ya it's an horrendous standard but in all fairness every other game had started anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have found someone better surely who was scheduled to play at the same time.

Like who? The Murray match was still going as Stan and Hewitt were about to go on court one. Only other options were the Flipkens and Bartoli matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Like who? The Murray match was still going as Stan and Hewitt were about to go on court one. Only other options were the Flipkens and Bartoli matches.

I'd prefer to watch Marion than Keotovong. She's much more entertaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is schedule released for tomorrow? Novak and Serena on centre anyway I assume?

Doubt I'll actually bother watching tomorrow I'd say, sadly zero matches that interest me!
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    And another "plucky Brit" goes out. It's just like the good old days!

:( So agree with you ellie. I love having the top 4 playing. Some of the match ups produce completely stunning tennis.

Awww. Sarn makes me laugh. But I realise she goes OTT so some wont like it.

[/B]

Knew you were a girl of immaculate taste, lola. I'm gutted too :( but I really want an Andy win. In a lot of peoples' eyes he wont be a decent tennis player unless he does.

Incidentally there's a lot of talk about "haters" reading back. I haven't seen any haters. Most tennis fans are quite capable of admiring someone's tennis even if they don't like their personalities. I think we usually get a good balance on here.

:p The only person I hate in the tennis world is Andrew Castle and maybe Gary Richardson. But everyone knows that anyway. I tend to rant about AC every time he's commentating.

C'mon Leyton. I have such a soft spot for him. Stan has improved no end but it looks like Hewitt has his measure. :D

So disappointed Tally! But I'm just thankful he`s back, tennis wasn't the same without Rafa.

I could never warm to Leyton, when he was dating Kim, but I like him now. The guy never knows when to quit, and you have to admire that.

John Inverdale does it for me. Can't stand the man. Listening to him on the radio this afternoon was painful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They didn't show much of Rafas match in the highlights.
  • Options
    Forum Member

In fairness I definitely see your point. I'd always associate CC with the top players and it being a huge honour to play there.

Sort of diminshes the honour of playing on it you'd imagine if you see a match like that being played there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    In fairness I definitely see your point. I'd always associate CC with the top players and it being a huge honour to play there.

Sort of diminshes the honour of playing on it you'd imagine if you see a match like that being played there

Yes exactly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,113
    Forum Member
    Serena, Djokovic and Ferrer on Centre tomorrow

Del Potro, Robson and Berdych on Court 1 tomorrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough, obviously organisers didn't want to bother changing the schedule on the outside courts to rush Bartoli who many couldn't care less about to centre, Keothovong was only put on Centre because the other 3 matches finished quickly and everywhere else was scheduled. Whether it was a walkover win or not, spectators still got to see an extra match, if they didn't want to watch it they could just leave, they would have got what they'd paid for in the 1st place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mac answer your phone. :D
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant hold from Lleyton.
This discussion has been closed.