Options

Channel 4 to broadcast daily Muslim call to prayer

Comments

• Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the Daily Mail reactionary type response but I can actually for once understand it in a way. I do think this is a seriously awful move on C4's part given the religious tensions in this country at the moment. They must surely know that far from educating anyone it will just raise people's anger levels even further. I know in the past C4 have enjoyed playing the part of the wind-up merchant but this is the wrong subject, at the wrong time, and I am shocked they are actually allowed to do this.

I have never been more unimpressed with a broadcaster in my life. I'll go as far to say I'm disgusted.

What is the big deal, it's once a day, early morning, for a month. Give the British people a bit more credit here, I think many aren't going to start hyperventilating when hearing the call to prayer. I think we as a nation are cultured and grown up enough to not start associating it with terrorism, extremism, etc.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but RTE show the angelus every day at 6pm. In fact as a result the evening news bulletin is called six one. I believe there is also a late night prayer.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Play fair wrote: »
    I've just seen this on Facebook.
    A copy of what someone has written to Ralph Lee of Channel 4

[...]

Personally, I think it's in poor taste that C4 have decided to run this now when tensions are already high but I suppose they got the publicity that they wanted as everyone is talking about it

That Facebook poster will feel like a bit of a nob once they realise it's three minutes a night, not "blanket" or wall-to-wall" coverage.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the advert space around this event will be dirt cheap the Secular Society and the Dawkins Foundation should club together and top and tail adverts saying "oi Muslims, praying does no good and your god does not exist, you been brainwashed by your parents who themselves were brainwashed as well - now go to bed and stop being silly"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but RTE show the angelus every day at 6pm. In fact as a result the evening news bulletin is called six one. I believe there is also a late night prayer.

^^
    This.

Honestly, it's not the End of the World, one more call to prayer being broadcast in the British Isles.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, like that Muslim geezer says ...Britain will be an islamic nation by 2015, I think I'll go and live in Italy. Near Rome somewhere.Praps near the sea.
    I feel sorry for all you young folk though.You've got all that to look forward to.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    ^^
    This.

Honestly, it's not the End of the World, one more call to prayer being broadcast in the British Isles.

Of course. But then it's not for people who see it that way. Or even Muslims its seems. Ralph Lee head of programming says it's about a " deliberate provocation'" aimed at viewers who might associate Islam with extremism. Or trolling as we call it here.
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    What is the big deal, it's once a day, early morning, for a month. Give the British people a bit more credit here, I think many aren't going to start hyperventilating when hearing the call to prayer. I think we as a nation are cultured and grown up enough to not start associating it with terrorism, extremism, etc.

As a nation we are; but this is GD.
    As the advert space around this event will be dirt cheap the Secular Society and the Dawkins Foundation should club together and top and tail adverts saying "oi Muslims, praying does no good and your god does not exist, you been brainwashed by your parents who themselves were brainwashed as well - now go to bed and stop being silly"

Oi Dwight Wright, idea rejected; bad copy writing ability. no appeal to viewing public. buzz off
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, like that Muslim geezer says ...Britain will be an islamic nation by 2015, I think I'll go and live in Italy. Near Rome somewhere.Praps near the sea.
    I feel sorry for all you young folk though.You've got all that to look forward to.

Wow, that's pretty quick. Unbelievably so.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can a television be put on a timer to come on at 3am?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

Around three and a half decades too quick (according to "that muslim geezer").
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, like that Muslim geezer says ...Britain will be an islamic nation by 2015

I suspect when he says "Britain will be an Islamic nation by 2015", he is referring to his blinkered view of Britain, as in maybe exclusively London, Luton, Bradford, or some ex-mining town in the North West or Yorkshire. I hardly think other British cities, such as Newcastle or Liverpool for instance, are anywhere close to being Islamified by 2015. It's completely unrealistic.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

I wish we had that here.:)
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

It's all okay. As the world in fact ended on December 21st 2012.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I suspect when he says "Britain will be an Islamic nation by 2015", he is referring to his blinkered view of Britain, as in maybe exclusively London, Luton, Bradford, or some ex-mining town in the North West or Yorkshire. I hardly think other British cities, such as Newcastle or Liverpool for instance, are anywhere close to being Islamified by 2015. It's completely unrealistic.

I'm pretty sure the prediction was 2050 - Which doesn't make it any less nonsensical IMO.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It's probably more to do with channel 4 being controversial than anything. Remember this was the channel that was broadcasting documentaries giving Islam a right bashing not long ago.
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Exactly. Who cares. Benny Hinn and all those money grabbing televangelists are things that should be off tv screens.

I believe these type of evangelists only appear on religious channels, not on mainstream channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I am sure I have read that this prayer call will break into programmes five times a day on CH4, first at 3.00am then it's repeated late morning before 10-11am then again after 1-2pm, then early evening 5-6pm, then mid evening at around 9-10pm, then again at 3am, not sure if this is for the whole month or just the main day...I am sure this will get a lot people's backs up! I remember where I read it now, the bastions of accurate information The Sun...so don't take it as fact you would be mad to.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If they have to prey 5 times a day how does that affect their work.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

My employer gives them time off to do it and sets up a special quiet room for them, while the rest of us cover the work :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love hearing those prayers and I'm always awake at 3am.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

Freudian slip ?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the prediction was 2050 - Which doesn't make it any less nonsensical IMO.

IIRC the claim in that report wasn't that Britain will be an Islamic state but that British people will be a minority.

People said Enoch Powells prediction that there will be 7 million people of immigrant descent by the year 2000 nonsensical but he was right.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC the claim in that report wasn't that Britain will be an Islamic state but that British people will be a minority.

People said Enoch Powells prediction that there will be 7 million people of immigrant descent by the year 2000 nonsensical but he was right.

Enoch Powell put a negative slant on it, as if being of immigrant descent was somehow a bad thing. It isn't.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottie 71 wrote: »
    I am sure I have read that this prayer call will break into programmes five times a day on CH4, first at 3.00am then it's repeated late morning before 10-11am then again after 1-2pm, then early evening 5-6pm, then mid evening at around 9-10pm, then again at 3am, not sure if this is for the whole month or just the main day...I am sure this will get a lot people's backs up! I remember where I read it now, the bastions of accurate information The Sun...so don't take it as fact you would be mad to.

Someone on twitter said after Day 1, only the 3am call to prayer will be live on Channel 4 - the rest only online.