Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being interviewed wearing the Hawaiian shirt. Notice he has parted his DM hair to look a bit less like ME:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tamsinmelville/status/354264447600185344/photos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Not to get too graphic but the Doc may have engaged in withdrawal at the critical moment.

We know he didnt do that cos LG got pregnant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phhhew! What a marathon. Ive been away but I've caught up now and will now leave a little space for others to post. :D:D
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    But NewPark they wouldn't sleep in the same sheets as Holly would they? If it was me I'd change them, together, if necessary.

OK This is what happened....The first time they did it on top of the duvet....come hell or high water...the rest of the world and ruled be damned. Unless Martin is an absolutely abnormally potent man of a certain age there would have to had been an interlude during which they could murmur sweet nothing's, touch and feel everything and change the sheets in an incredibly erotic way until they got down to business and maybe dozing later. RIGHT.

Love the new picture from Delabole. I thought I'm some of the recent pictures we had he was getting a bit long on top. Maybe it's time to kiss the DM 'do goodbye (maybe for a while, maybe longer). I do adore him with longer wavy hair.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And what was your reaction when...

And as the scene opens, panning down the street and up to the bedroom window - did you expect to find our Doc in Louisa's room, adjusting his tie? Or was this a shock to us all?

I love the conversation between Dave the postman and Pauline - "I'd say our Doc had quite the pajama party" --- "Good morning Doc. Sleep well?" This really makes me lol every time I watch it.

Shocked and delighted and going "Oh, yahhhhh, O yaaahhhhh!:D"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, marchrand. But she said: "A woman doesn't have to be getting her period to be a bit emotional!" Wouldn't this lead us to believe she was not premenstrual? I think her outburst suggests this--probably, maybe. And was Doc Martin certain of her cycle at this point? I really doubt it.

The next evening at the cottage after the proposal, I don't think there is the remotest possibility that Martin had thoughts about Louisa's cycle or her age!! Here we have two people madly in love, in each others arms and finally committed to one another--at the highest point in their lives! Not a time for rational thinking!

First I note that in this and other Brit things, I've found it interesting to hear the use of "emotional", when we Yanks might use "loving", "sexy", or a whole list of other more specific words I can't think of right now. It cracks me up. But I think Louisa was just trying to tell him that she was showing affection for its own sake and reprimanding him in a way for his connecting it to something physical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    "Buttoned up" is a good phrase. If you take a good look at that scene everything is neatly in place-the pillows are smooth and the duvet is pulled up nicely on 'his' side of the bed. Nothing is rumpled or askew-rather odd wouldn't you say?;)

Not odd -- particularly on his side of the bed. Doc is a pretty neat fellow and I can see him carefully attending to these things while not trying to wake Louisa. That's my Doc!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    First I note that in this and other Brit things, I've found it interesting to hear the use of "emotional", when we Yanks might use "loving", "sexy", or a whole list of other more specific words I can't think of right now. It cracks me up. But I think Louisa was just trying to tell him that she was showing affection for its own sake and reprimanding him in a way for his connecting it to something physical.

Well, of course I agree. I didn't mean to imply that Louisa was trying to say: "Well, I'm not getting my period any time soon!" Yes she most definitely was reprimanding him for his complete lack of romantic response--also with her 'You're not obliged to spoil it...'". However, the word emotional is used twice here, once by Martin, then by Louisa. He was just being his usual awkward annoying self, but when she repeats the word I think it is in a different and moreover, correct sense.

Can any British members enlighten us on the use of emotional? I haven't really noticed it when watching other UK shows/movies. They still love the word brilliant and use it where we would use amazing or wonderful, I think. I once asked an English lady I met a few years ago about brilliant, and she assured me that the word is rarely used anymore!

I too, just love Britishisms (like cookery) and let us remember here in North America that Britain is where the English language originated! I believe that we tend to ignore or forget this. We do not speak American, we speak English.

By the way I just watched the scene again to make sure of the wording--and the way they did it was, well--BRILLIANT!!
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    OK This is what happened....The first time they did it on top of the duvet....come hell or high water...the rest of the world and ruled be damned. Unless Martin is an absolutely abnormally potent man of a certain age there would have to had been an interlude during which they could murmur sweet nothing's, touch and feel everything and change the sheets in an incredibly erotic way until they got down to business and maybe dozing later. RIGHT.

Love the new picture from Delabole. I thought I'm some of the recent pictures we had he was getting a bit long on top. Maybe it's time to kiss the DM 'do goodbye (maybe for a while, maybe longer). I do adore him with longer wavy hair.

I vote for they ripped the duvet off, and did the deed on the sheets, not caring at all who had just been sleeping on or in them.

After their first time, I still don't think they cared. Just took off the rest of their clothes if any still lingered on their body, cuddled, DM said something odd (perhaps about the....er....wet spot....:o:o, or the softness of LG's mattress not supporting their backs well--as she does seem to have a very soft mattress). Nonetheless, LG's libido made her ignore it, and after the recharging, they started it all up again. Undecided about third time.....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Ring of Bright Water

I was just rewatching that vid of MC on Alan Titchmarsh and he mentions being head of the Born Free Foundation. This movie - Ring of Bright Water is a little film done by Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna back in 1969. I caught it sometime in the last few months and immediately thought of Martin Clunes in the role. It has to do with an otter, the Scottish coast and a doctor (not him, her).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »

Is it a little "hot" there in the tropics? -I love your comments.
    you are on your way to writing some steamy fanfic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My ONLY criticism of that scene was how "buttoned up" Louisa seemed, somewhat stiff with sheets held like armor. Did not look entirely like she'd had the night of crazed weasel sex Mona avers happened (and I believe Mona since she's a doctor!)
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    "Buttoned up" is a good phrase. If you take a good look at that scene everything is neatly in place-the pillows are smooth and the duvet is pulled up nicely on 'his' side of the bed. Nothing is rumpled or askew-rather odd wouldn't you say?;)
    Not odd -- particularly on his side of the bed. Doc is a pretty neat fellow and I can see him carefully attending to these things while not trying to wake Louisa. That's my Doc!
    Conniej wrote: »
    I guess they had to make sure the tattoo wasn't showing. Maybe that's part of the issue - she didn't move much.

To me it was a disappointment--waaay too neat and tidy. You often see this in the movies. Sheets and pillows immaculate, hair and makeup freshly done and the woman sits up in the bed and holds the sheet across her top. Simply not believable. Maybe, though, there are constrains re nudity, etc., but it doesn't seem to be a problem in many of the detective mysteries coming from the UK right now.

About the tattoo--what tattoo?
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me it was a disappointment--waaay too neat and tidy. You often see this in the movies. Sheets and pillows immaculate, hair and makeup freshly done and the woman sits up in the bed and holds the sheet across her top. Simply not believable. Maybe, though, there are constrains re nudity, etc., but it doesn't seem to be a problem in many of the detective mysteries coming from the UK right now.

About the tattoo--what tattoo?

Caroline has a tattoo of a rose on her shoulder. They are mostly good at concealing it with the clothing picked for her character. I think someone was commenting on seeing the edge of it in at least one DM scene though.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6097/6340141126_a4e0c96f24_z.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Being interviewed wearing the Hawaiian shirt. Notice he has parted his DM hair to look a bit less like ME:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tamsinmelville/status/354264447600185344/photos

Oh, goodie! Nice! Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Is it a little "hot" there in the tropics? -I love your comments.
    you are on your way to writing some steamy fanfic.

Actually it's fairly dull down here in the tropics. That is just what MC does to me. In any kisses he has done..Dirty Tricks..William and Mary...Doc Martin he is just such an artist and so delicious it makes my toes curl. Put that together with his big body and his real life personality and I'm whipped. I wonder if this type of thing bothers Phillipa? She has him hook, line and sinker. What a lucky woman!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Speaking of emotional. Does anyone else think that it is a little odd that Martin Ellingham, a vascular surgeon and the a GP seems obsessed with women's hormones? I think he said something to Louisa first about his interest in women's hormones and then after the concert his comment about her emotions and her period indicated he was interested in the subject. It seems like something a gynecologist or obstetrician might be interested in but why a vascular surgeon/GP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of emotional. Does anyone else think that it is a little odd that Martin Ellingham, a vascular surgeon and the a GP seems obsessed with women's hormones? I think he said something to Louisa first about his interest in women's hormones and then after the concert his comment about her emotions and her period indicated he was interested in the subject. It seems like something a gynecologist or obstetrician might be interested in but why a vascular surgeon/GP?

Well, in the US it's a fact that all of us who were trained in Medicine were trained in all aspects of anatomy , physiology , histology , microbiology etc. I was a Pediatrician but I also know about surgery, gynecology , cardiology and so on. When a medical student graduates he or she is a potential General Practitioner. It is only in your Internship and Residency that you specialize. That's why DM is able to be a GP.

Part of the fun of DM for me has been diagnosing the ailments he's investigated. I was spot on for Sjögren's syndrome , Addison's disease and Carolyn' s Diabetic Ketoacidosis and a few of the others. Some of the others went right over my head or were really obscure. But it's really fun to play along.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bvf3m

Interview with MC about 56 minutes into this radio show. Ties in with the event today and pic with the Hawaiian shirt.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't see him being obsessed with women's hormones but he is obsessed with any and all physiological/medical matters. It seems that he is unable to turn the obsession off, except perhaps when he is with Louisa--e.g., the proposal, the embrace, afterwards.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New pics featuring the fit MC taken on the same day as the ones on my spoiler page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201533653333252&set=gm.10151767535106660&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Also a nice one of Noah AKA James Henry being held by JA.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201537340178555&set=o.6043216659&type=1
    Caroline has a tattoo of a rose on her shoulder. They are mostly good at concealing it with the clothing picked for her character. I think someone was commenting on seeing the edge of it in at least one DM scene though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bvf3m

Interview with MC about 56 minutes into this radio show. Ties in with the event today and pic with the Hawaiian shirt.

Thank you for all your great leads, Conniej! I am going to find a way to sign that petition even though I'm not a member of Face Book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure they didn't want to show the tattoo, but it's on her deltoid, for goodness sake - and still doesn't explain the high sheets and staginess of the scene. She should look sated, not shy, and the bed needs to look like the scene of the crime. She seemed glued to the mattress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had put this off to the Doc's acute sense of smell, but you are correct in pointing out his unique interest. He seems to react more than most to his olfactory sense, including to Louisa's taxi breath and, of course, the smell of blood. This, of course, is also the medical detective in him; remember he was wanting to nail down the particular fragrance she was wearing. It also makes the few scenes where he smells bad (when Edith points it out, after the badger burning, and the morning after sleeping with the dog) so delightful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they didn't want to show the tattoo, but it's on her deltoid, for goodness sake - and still doesn't explain the high sheets and staginess of the scene. She should look sated, not shy, and the bed needs to look like the scene of the crime. She seemed glued to the mattress.

I'm pretty sure that DM airs during British 'family time.' Besides I can't see anybody wanting to portray the plucky yet wholesome Louisa Glasson in the buff!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Buffalo Pictures intended NOT to make a contemporary show like "Men Behaving Badly" or "William & Mary." "Doc Martin" was made to appeal to the 55+ demographic in Britain and it has worked very well. The rating book for that demographic sells lots of ads for the show.
This discussion has been closed.