Options

Hazel Threatened Daley's masculinity

Comments

• Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »
    I agree it was groundbreaking TV, by giving an insight to viewers of this sort of thing .

However as I said in the latter part of my post, the old patriarchal culture and heteronormative gender roles that have followed on from it are one of the main causes of this kind of behaviour towards women.

The male privilege and supremacy has been dominant in society and culture for centuries and is as such indoctrinated and imbedded in the minds of many men.

etc.........

Totally agree, excellent post.

Old school sexist men will use the concept of 'equality' as a stick to beat women with, as they clearly despise the whole equality movement as being a personal attack on their egos. Daley is clearly one of them, and you see it all over the internet.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could explain why wives get battered by their husbands or partners? Perhaps you could explain why so many men rape women, perhaps you could explain why so many men are homophobic towards innocent gay men and perform corrective rape on lesbians?

Are these challenging a mans masculinity too?

If Daley truly believed in the 2013 equality between the sexes he would not have reacted in the way that he did.

His response and behaviour was a direct result of patriarchal stereo typing of the gender roles and the belief in male supremacy over a woman, this is the largest single cause of sexism against women and domestic violence and rape in the first place.

Well said. I am astounded at the number of people on this forum defending Daley and blaming Hazel. The fact that she is not a nice person is nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    nah ... nothing so deep

It was a sexual 'role play' game ... Hazel gave Daley the idea that she wanted to act out having 'a bit of rough' ... and he obliged

That's why he was so gobsmacked in the diaryroom when BB said Hazel told them she felt 'cornered' by his aggressiveness

... and it was why every other housemate was equally gobsmacked that he had been thrown out

He's a bum for sure, but she played him like a fiddle ... she really did

The housemates know it

I agree in this instance. I never have condoned any 'she asked for it' scenarios but in this case we have all watched her sexually goading this not particularly bright young man who fights for a living. So did all the HMs. Think Mike Tyson ....

He will soon be yesterday's chip paper, she will be remembered a long while for what she did and being a nasty person.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Thank you Doop for going to the time and trouble of posting the long post above (I won't quote it all but I think it is obvious which I mean).
    Good to read something interesting and considered this morning.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rapscalion wrote: »
    I don't know why, it happens behind closed doors. With the Nigella v Saatchi case, we didn't get full access to the conversation, just a single still photo. But in this episode of BB, we got to see the whole thing. It was a unique moment in television history. We got to see something that we don't normally get to see on TV. It was an insight into a previously hidden world.

Television history was made with this episode of Big Brother. Probably the most groundbreaking epsiode in the history of reality TV. It was a shame that BB stopped it halfway through the scene by calling Daley into the diary room. If they had let Daley carry on, maybe we could have got some answers to your questions.

Or maybe we'have got a strangled woman.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    You can't threaten something that isn't there.

If, and it's a very big if Hazel 'challenged' Daley's masculinity, by his actions he is found to be severely lacking in such a quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Doop for going to the time and trouble of posting the long post above (I won't quote it all but I think it is obvious which I mean).
    Good to read something interesting and considered this morning.

No problem :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, excellent post.

Old school sexist men will use the concept of 'equality' as a stick to beat women with, as they clearly despise the whole equality movement as being a personal attack on their egos. Daley is clearly one of them, and you see it all over the internet.

Yes you are spot on and yes I come across it many times not just on the net and on these forums but also in society too.
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What masculinity?? He has none...a man who has to pick on a woman is a complete coward!!!! Enough said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    You can't threaten something that isn't there.

If, and it's a very big if Hazel 'challenged' Daley's masculinity, by his actions he is found to be severely lacking in such a quality.

Its not just about masculinity its about power and control and to a lot of men masculinity equals power.

If a mans authority is challenged it is seen as a threat to his masculinity from something which is "weaker" which equals femininity and in the mind of a man who holds such hypermasculine views femininity should not challenge masculinity anything which does so is seen a threat and so is met with aggressive behaviour as a result.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All she challenged was his need to be in control, regardless of the circumstances, and particularly with females. He should never have been in that house - where control is given up to a telly show and sublet to other HMs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What masculinity?? He has none...a man who has to pick on a woman is a complete coward!!!! Enough said.

Yes by todays standards yes but in the old school type gender roles it isn`t seen as being a coward at all, it is seen as having dominance and control thus asserting their masculinity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before Daley grabbed Hazel by the throat, she was goading him to "be a man". Initially, he responded "It's 2013, I don't have to act like a man anymore. It's equality now!"

But Hazel persisted goading him. Therefore I speculate that this caused Daley to feel like he had to prove himself as a man by the old fashioned standards that Hazel was demanding. So he grabbed her by the throat and told her to respect his authority.

Hazel wanted to test the limits of Daley's masculintiy. She wanted to see how much of a man he could be. She wanted a man who would speak to her in a way that she's never been spoken to before. When she walked to the chair looking worried it was because she realised that she had taken the test too far for BB. She was terrified that Daley would get into trouble and that it was all her fault for threatening his masculinity.

Yep, because women want to be treated violently and want to be abused ;) What we really want is someone to make us respect their authority, and we want them to hurt us and threaten us in order to show us how masculine they are!!

I'm sorry, but attacking somebody's masculinity, even assuming she was, is not grounds for them being mistreated.

Men have more control over their actions than some people give them credit for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    nah ... nothing so deep

It was a sexual 'role play' game ... Hazel gave Daley the idea that she wanted to act out having 'a bit of rough' ... and he obliged

That's why he was so gobsmacked in the diaryroom when BB said Hazel told them she felt 'cornered' by his aggressiveness

... and it was why every other housemate was equally gobsmacked that he had been thrown out

He's a bum for sure, but she played him like a fiddle ... she really did

The housemates know it

I dont know what type of sex games people like on here but I doubt anyone mentally balanced would consider a death threat sexually arousing or 'just role playing'.

She told him to get off her bed but he ignored her, then he went psycho
  • Options
    wendy13wendy13 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Daley grabbed Hazel by the throat, she was goading him to "be a man". Initially, he responded "It's 2013, I don't have to act like a man anymore. It's equality now!"

But Hazel persisted goading him. Therefore I speculate that this caused Daley to feel like he had to prove himself as a man by the old fashioned standards that Hazel was demanding. So he grabbed her by the throat and told her to respect his authority.

Hazel wanted to test the limits of Daley's masculintiy. She wanted to see how much of a man he could be. She wanted a man who would speak to her in a way that she's never been spoken to before. When she walked to the chair looking worried it was because she realised that she had taken the test too far for BB. She was terrified that Daley would get into trouble and that it was all her fault for threatening his masculinity.

wasnt about his masculinity but about her humiliating him.

he wanted to be left alone, she initiated, pursued and abused him.

he forewarned and she still humiliated him and sexually assaulted him .

and yet she still sits in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wendy13 wrote: »

She was not bloody trying to humiliate him! She liked him and was flirting with him.

Abused him? Really? My heart bleeds for poor Daley having an attractive woman he liked doting upon him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know what type of sex games people like on here but I doubt anyone mentally balanced would consider a death threat sexually arousing or 'just role playing'.

She told him to get off her bed but he ignored her, then he went psycho

wind back, he didnt want to jump into her bed.

she initiated from that point.

she tried to smother his face with a pillow, she hit him and then took his duvet.

he was wound up, clearly he did not want to be disturbed, but she continued to the point beyond at which he had forewarned her of his temper and asked for his duvet.

so tell me whats the best course of action at that moment in time .. to give his duvet back, call in bb to help, ask to leave the room or pull his pants down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sallow wrote: »
    She was not bloody trying to humiliate him! She liked him and was flirting with him.

Abused him? Really? My heart bleeds for poor Daley having an attractive woman he liked doting upon him.

she was trying to humiliate him because he had spurned all of her sexual advances .

he just wasnt interested. her ability to seduce a drunk man wasnt happening. its why she continued to pursue him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she was trying to humiliate him because he had spurned all of her sexual advances .

he just wasnt interested. her ability to seduce a drunk man wasnt happening. its why she continued to pursue him.

I don't really recall him spurning her sexual advances. His body language was constantly very encouraging and responsive. Don't try and act like he had a hard time of it. He loved it.

He wasn't interested in her? You are deluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Well said. I am astounded at the number of people on this forum defending Daley and blaming Hazel. The fact that she is not a nice person is nothing to do with it.

I am not shocked by it at all, especially when it comes from male posters that's the kind of response I`d expect from some male posters ( not all ) who adhere to the old style patriarchal gender roles, to them who have been conditioned to think and behave in such a way seeing another man treat a woman in such a way is acceptable to them they see no wrong in doing so which is why they seek to pin all the blame on the woman in situations like this because it allows them to justify the aggression and preserves the status quo.

Hazel is no angel and yes she is a player and she did go a little to far with her playful behaviour but again many men are also players, so to use that as an excuse to justify the aggression she faced is not logical at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sallow wrote: »
    I don't really recall him spurning her sexual advances. His body language was constantly very encouraging and responsive. Don't try and act like he had a hard time of it. He loved it.

He wasn't interested in her? You are deluded.

he wasnt interested in jumping into her bed, he made that very clear and hazel despite all her efforts couldnt entice him to be beside her.

she took her failure to him, it was not daley wanting to or made any gesture towards jumping into her bed.

watch the live feed again. it was all about hazel , no sex, no publicity was the motive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all, if you listen to the things he said to her it was all about control.

He was already aggressive and trying to control her before she entered the secret house on the live feed, he lied also in order to stop her talking to Charlie and get her back inside with him.

He was also counting in an aggressive tone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not shocked by it at all, especially when it comes from male posters that's the kind of response I`d expect from some male posters ( not all ) who adhere to the old style patriarchal gender roles, to them who have been conditioned to think and behave in such a way seeing another man treat a woman in such a way is acceptable to them they see no wrong in doing so which is why they seek to pin all the blame on the woman in situations like this because it allows them to justify the aggression and preserves the status quo.

Hazel is no angel and yes she is a player and she did go a little to far with her playful behaviour but again many men are also players, so to use that as an excuse to justify the aggression she faced is not logical at all.

she was no less aggressive one should not overlook this point.

at no point did she ask/scream for help, at no time did she ask to be removed from his presence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, if you listen to the things he said to her it was all about control.

He was already aggressive and trying to control her before she entered the secret house on the live feed, he lied also in order to stop her talking to Charlie and get her back inside with him.

He was also counting in an aggressive tone.

you are not looking at hazels behaviour.

daley was drunk. his manner is always aggressive, on edge its not a side that we as viewers are not aware .

he wanted her inside the room, once inside he did not want to be in her bed.

it is at this point that hazel becomes abusive in her behaviour and is sexually harassing him despite his clear words to her that in fact he wasnt playing.

he was drunk but had good sense to forewarn hazel of how he can turn when drunk .. she chose to pull his pants down.
  • Options
    P BarnardP Barnard Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one mentioned Daley's reaction to Hazel's diary room comments to BB and how nasty he got when BB read it out. Hazel said exactly the right thing to BB, nothing more nothing less than the facts. Instead of Daley taking a step back and thinking maybe he had overstepped the mark, all loving feelings towards her went out of the window and called her a lying bitch, with a few more swear words thrown in. The guy is a first class knob, and really needs to look at the way he behaved, because it simply isn't acceptable.