Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Like The Motors! :mad:

To be honest - by the time the DLT thing blows over we'll have missed a whole year full of shows :mad: - so it's hardly worth bringing him back now - he'll have finished hosting TOTP altogether by the early 80's!! :rolleyes:

I'm still annoyed that any episodes featuring Airport had to be shelved (apart from the compilation show which cut off nearly half the song). It's possibly my favourite track of the whole year. :mad:
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed that any episodes featuring Airport had to be shelved (apart from the compilation show which cut off nearly half the song). It's possibly my favourite track of the whole year. :mad:

Totally agree. We may get Forget About You, but that was nowhere near as good.:)
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Totally agree. We may get Forget About You, but that was nowhere near as good.:)

We will and both performances, Kid Jensen and Peter Powell hosted the song's shows.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the running order from the first "banned" show:

(24) ELVIS PRESLEY – Don’t Be Cruel (and charts)
    (NEW) JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS – I Can’t Stop Dancing To The Beat
    (12) JACKSON BROWNE – Stay (video)
    (26) GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Come Back And Finish What You Started (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (54) YELLOW DOG – Wait Until Midnight
    (13) VOYAGE – From East To West (video)
    (28) RENAISSANCE – Northern Lights
    (2) FATHER ABRAHAM & THE SMURFS – The Smurf Song (video)
    (19) ANDREW GOLD – How Can This Be Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (NEW) PLASTIC BERTRAND – Sha La La La Lee
    (10) LINDISFARNE – Run For Home ®
    (NEW) KANDIDATE – Don’t Wanna Say Goodnight
    (1) JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – You’re The One That I Want (video)
    (6) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Like Clockwork (and credits)

Since it seems there's little chance of the show turning up in full I did some checking on youtube to see how much of it could be reconstructed. Excluding videos, the Lindisfarne repeat, I could only find the following Legs & Co/Andrew Gold routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgyYIqZOsQ

It doesn't seem like the person who recorded this recorded any more of the show - and none of the other studio performances seem to have been repeated on TOTP2 or will be repeated on a later show.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    This is the running order from the first "banned" show:

(24) ELVIS PRESLEY – Don’t Be Cruel (and charts)
    (NEW) JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS – I Can’t Stop Dancing To The Beat
    (12) JACKSON BROWNE – Stay (video)
    (26) GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Come Back And Finish What You Started (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (54) YELLOW DOG – Wait Until Midnight
    (13) VOYAGE – From East To West (video)
    (28) RENAISSANCE – Northern Lights
    (2) FATHER ABRAHAM & THE SMURFS – The Smurf Song (video)
    (19) ANDREW GOLD – How Can This Be Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (NEW) PLASTIC BERTRAND – Sha La La La Lee
    (10) LINDISFARNE – Run For Home ®
    (NEW) KANDIDATE – Don’t Wanna Say Goodnight
    (1) JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – You’re The One That I Want (video)
    (6) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Like Clockwork (and credits)

Since it seems there's little chance of the show turning up in full I did some checking on youtube to see how much of it could be reconstructed. Excluding videos, the Lindisfarne repeat, I could only find the following Legs & Co/Andrew Gold routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgyYIqZOsQ

It doesn't seem like the person who recorded this recorded any more of the show - and none of the other studio performances seem to have been repeated on TOTP2 or will be repeated on a later show.
    I seem to remember a blue lighting effect behind Annie Haslam on one recording of Northern Lights - and this may have aired as part of either TOTP2 or a Big Hits compilation...
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

Oh my - I had no idea this was The Motors as well!! :eek: - ( Yet another record that I thought was out years before 1978 and by a different band)!!!

But yes Airport is far superior!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We will and both performances, Kid Jensen and Peter Powell hosted the song's shows.

Cheers. 1979's Love and Loneliness was almost as good as Airport, but by then momentum had been lost. The song was played to death but never made the top forty.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I checked a chart book today (not the Guinness one which I cannot find and Child's big hit was It's Only Make Believe. I had totally forgotten.

After original songs flopped they had covered When You Walk in the Room which has hit 38 in April 1978; so a good sign. This cover of It's Only Make Believe, the Conway Twitty/Billy Fury classic made number ten however; it entered the chart the week after this TOTP performance. They must have been aware that is had momentum as this would explain their animation. I thought it was a good performance anyway.

The follow-up was equally as predictable--a version of the Platters Only You reached number 33. And then they disappeared.

I think deservedly. Still I should like to know more about them.:)
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love This TOTP clip of kenny everett introducing junior campbell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u36SA5t_RvQ
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I seem to remember a blue lighting effect behind Annie Haslam on one recording of Northern Lights - and this may have aired as part of either TOTP2 or a Big Hits compilation...

I suspect you are thinking of the official promotional video which is available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y487Bu_rh-o

According to the Popscene website all three Renaissance appearances on TOTP in 1978 were recorded separately in the BBC studio.

Their third and final slot will be introduced by Peter Powell next week and if I remember rightly Annie Haslam was wearing a dark blue dress for this particular show.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry being dim but has this been on tonight and have I missed it? I've got the football on
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry being dim but has this been on tonight and have I missed it? I've got the football on

No it was on last night because of the proms.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I checked a chart book today (not the Guinness one which I cannot find and Child's big hit was It's Only Make Believe. I had totally forgotten.

After original songs flopped they had covered When You Walk in the Room which has hit 38 in April 1978; so a good sign. This cover of It's Only Make Believe, the Conway Twitty/Billy Fury classic made number ten however; it entered the chart the week after this TOTP performance. They must have been aware that is had momentum as this would explain their animation. I thought it was a good performance anyway.

The follow-up was equally as predictable--a version of the Platters Only You reached number 33. And then they disappeared.

I think deservedly. Still I should like to know more about them.:)
    One of the members of Child, Keith Atack became a session musician and played guitar for the likes of Bonnie Tyler, David Cassidy and Rick Astley. He was married for 19 years to Kate Robbins, of 'More Than In Love' chart fame as well as being famous for her Spitting Image appearances where she voiced Mrs T amongst others. They have three children including Emily who appeared on The Inbetweeners and in 2010 Dancing On Ice. His twin brother Tim played drums in Child and has made a career as not only a session musician also but in scoring music for films and TV programmes, some of which were in collaboration with brother Keith.

There's an interesting story about when Child and The Stranglers appeared on the same Top Of The Pops, indeed in an edition that we'll be seeing soon, that involves JJ Burnel of The Stranglers, Child and a broken dressing room door...

Edit: link to above story removed as the domain name part of the url has been "starred out" by Digital Spy.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Oh my - I had no idea this was The Motors as well!! :eek: - ( Yet another record that I thought was out years before 1978 and by a different band)!!!

But yes Airport is far superior!! :cool:

Airport is much better, but I'm sure they'll give a "Grandstand" performance of Forget About You ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sham 69 - Love this. It's bubblegum punk rather than spit punk, but sod it. It's good to pogo to. This was also on an ad in the 90s, but I can't remember what for.

I think it was used in a television advertising campaign for McDonalds.
    Justin Heyward - Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...hair.

Keeping with the TV commercial theme - is he, or isn't he wearing Harmony hairspray :confused:
    Child - ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

I'm no fan of 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks' but I used to tune in to the last 10 minutes just to see the identity parade when it featured pop acts predominantly from the 1960s and 1970s. I found it interesting to see how kindly time had treated these stars of yesteryear (or not as the case may be :eek:). Graham Bilbrough, the lead singer from Child featured one week (probably sometime between 2000 and 2003?) and was correctly identified by the cabaret singer and future 'Loose Woman' Jane McDonald, one of the guest panelists who apparently fantasised to his pin-up poster on her bedroom wall during her teens. I'd hazard an educated guess he'd be in his mid-forties at the time and it's probably fair to say the bespectacled, grey haired gent in the parade looks a far cry from the teenage(?) Kid Jensen clone of 22-25 years earlier. I found this particular NMTB clip on YouTube which starts with a brief extract from yesterday's TOTP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtORLp8RfZ4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    One of the members of Child, Keith Atack became a session musician and played guitar for the likes of Bonnie Tyler, David Cassidy and Rick Astley. He was married for 19 years to Kate Robbins, of 'More Than In Love' chart fame as well as being famous for her Spitting Image appearances where she voiced Mrs T amongst others.

I think Keith Atack may be the blonde haired bloke on guitar in Bonnie Tyler's Musik Laden performance of 'Holding Out For A Hero' on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HhSdR64Ajk

He currently plays with the Illegal Eagles tribute band.

Kate Robbins is the sister of Liverpudlian stand-up comedian and TV host Ted Robbins and I believe they are both cousins of Paul McCartney. Kate Robbins also dubbed all the female voiceovers in different regional accents on the Channel 4 series 'Eurotrash'.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

.......and still not available on I-Player.

Is there some sort of contractual thing that TOTP is only on I-Player for the same amount of time that light takes to travel from my arse to my elbow ? ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the Child stuff. It is all good for the record.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Keith Atack may be the blonde haired bloke on guitar in Bonnie Tyler's Musik Laden performance of 'Holding Out For A Hero' on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HhSdR64Ajk

He currently plays with the Illegal Eagles tribute band.

Kate Robbins is the sister of Liverpudlian stand-up comedian and TV host Ted Robbins and I believe they are both cousins of Paul McCartney. Kate Robbins also dubbed all the female voiceovers in different regional accents on the Channel 4 series 'Eurotrash'.
    Yup, that's Keith Atack on guitar in the Bonnie Tyler clip.

Kate Robbins and Paul McCartney are "first cousins once removed" as Kate's mum and Paul are first cousins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the Child stuff. It is all good for the record.:)
    The information about Child is a lot more interesting than their version of 'It's Only Make Believe' which is just dreadful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a good Legs and Co routine none the less, it did look like they were going to do the full monty for a moment ;)

The Legs and Co routines are probably what make these repeats worth watching. What's everybody's favourite Legs/Ruby Flipper/Pan's People routine so far through all these?

I quite liked their dance to Stevie Wonder's 'Sir Duke' last year (by which, I mean 1977) and the Bee Gees' 'You Should Be Dancing'; least favourite, probably Piero Umiliani's 'Mah Na Mah Na' with them all dressed as flowers, looking extremely awkward and completely un-sexy. 'Disco Duck', another embarrassingly awful routine. 'The Smurf Song' was equally awful, although amusing all the same. I have a soft spot for their routine to Hank Mizell's 'Jungle Rock' from the first repeat in 1976 just because the animal costumes were so crap and the whole production, set, etc, felt so cheap and tacky.

Obviously I'm basing these on the ladies' appearances and not the quality of their dancing or the choreography....
  • Options
    huddiepuddieshuddiepuddies Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    One of the members of Child, Keith Atack became a session musician and played guitar for the likes of Bonnie Tyler, David Cassidy and Rick Astley. He was married for 19 years to Kate Robbins, of 'More Than In Love' chart fame as well as being famous for her Spitting Image appearances where she voiced Mrs T amongst others. They have three children including Emily who appeared on The Inbetweeners and in 2010 Dancing On Ice. His twin brother Tim played drums in Child and has made a career as not only a session musician also but in scoring music for films and TV programmes, some of which were in collaboration with brother Keith.

There's an interesting story about when Child and The Stranglers appeared on the same Top Of The Pops, indeed in an edition that we'll be seeing soon, that involves JJ Burnel of The Stranglers, Child and a broken dressing room door...

Edit: link to above story removed as the domain name part of the url has been "starred out" by Digital Spy.

Wasn't Mrs T voiced by a man on spitting image; Steve Nallon I believe he was called.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Mrs T voiced by a man on spitting image; Steve Nallon I believe he was called.
    ah, I thought Kate Robbins had voiced her but in a way it makes (warped) sense for a man to have voiced Mrs T...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Legs and Co routines are probably what make these repeats worth watching. What's everybody's favourite Legs/Ruby Flipper/Pan's People routine so far through all these?

I quite liked their dance to Stevie Wonder's 'Sir Duke' last year (by which, I mean 1977) and the Bee Gees' 'You Should Be Dancing'; least favourite, probably Piero Umiliani's 'Mah Na Mah Na' with them all dressed as flowers, looking extremely awkward and completely un-sexy. 'Disco Duck', another embarrassingly awful routine. 'The Smurf Song' was equally awful, although amusing all the same. I have a soft spot for their routine to Hank Mizell's 'Jungle Rock' from the first repeat in 1976 just because the animal costumes were so crap and the whole production, set, etc, felt so cheap and tacky.

Obviously I'm basing these on the ladies' appearances and not the quality of their dancing or the choreography....
    I liked the Legs & Co dance routine for 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam, and for sheer inventiveness / wackiness their dance routines for 'Egyptian Reggae' by Jonathan Richman and 'Rumour Has It' by Donna Summer. For Ruby Flipper I liked the dance routines for 'Back In The USSR' by The Beatles, 'Let Em In' by Wings and 'Play That Funky Music' by Wild Cherry, the latter being their last ever (and best) dance.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bu**er.
This discussion has been closed.