Options

Why can't I watch all premier league games in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think the best way of watching football is at a ground...even better than HD!

I wonder in the UK is the issue with live 3pm broadcasts
    1, Championship the most popular second tier in Europe
    2. The SPL
    3. The rugby

How many other broadcasters have four major leagues in their footprint (leagues with average gates over 10,000 per game)?
    France has two (football and rugby).
    I
    Are all games shown in France? I see a lot of them are 8pm Saturday.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I still think the best way of watching football is at a ground...even better than HD!

2. The SPL
    3. The rugby

How many other broadcasters have four major leagues in their footprint (leagues with average gates over 10,000 per game)?
    I

I could well be very very wrong and i have no research to back it up but im not convinced that in 2013 putting football matches on at 3pm on a saturday is the best time to maximise attendances. I would have thought Sundays would now be far better to get families able to go together. The dynamic of peoples lives is different now to the 40s,50's,60s etc when 3pm was the norm. As is the dynamic of the people attending games.

At the very least i wouldnt be shocked to see all the PL games move to a Sunday and them all being shown live on TV with the other leagues remaining on Saturdays. As it is the very top teams play precious few games at 3pm on a Saturday.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    It's impossible to get AJ on satellite from the UK now since they won the Premier League rights they had to move the channels to a different satellite that can't be picked up in the UK

its not impossible at all . depends where in the country you are , been speaking to loads of poeple on various forums who are getting them on 7W .
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch them all, you have the t'internet :p
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    At the very least i wouldnt be shocked to see all the PL games move to a Sunday and them all being shown live on TV with the other leagues remaining on Saturdays. As it is the very top teams play precious few games at 3pm on a Saturday.

I agree that's the natural progression but it's still years away from happening. So far the Premier League have issued tenders for 1992, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 & 2013 and in that time they've only agreed to a 154 live maximum and that only came with the 2013 tender. They're still miles away from offering 380 - if at all ever.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. The SPL
    3. The rugby

I

All top tier games in France, Belgium, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands are shown live on television. In France, Germany and Italy they have a special multilive show, which is like Soccer Saturday with the action.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I agree that's the natural progression but it's still years away from happening. So far the Premier League have issued tenders for 1992, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 & 2013 and in that time they've only agreed to a 154 live maximum and that only came with the 2013 tender. They're still miles away from offering 380 - if at all ever.

If only there was some sort of solution......

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not impossible at all . depends where in the country you are , been speaking to loads of poeple on various forums who are getting them on 7W .

You can get up to AJ +4 on Hotbird. Everything else (i.e. the ones showing Premier League - +5 - +10 & HD1-HD6) are on Nilesat and the footprint for that falls way outside the UK. You could just about get a signal from the outer edges of the fringe in the South of the UK from Nilesat but you'd need a minimum dish size of about 2.4m in good weather and at least 3m in rain!
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't i have sex with Sammy Winward, who plays Katie in Emmerdale?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »

Maybe one day you will :mad:
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »

because i am!

:D
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,067
    Forum Member
    Streams seemed fine today anyway
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could well be very very wrong and i have no research to back it up but im not convinced that in 2013 putting football matches on at 3pm on a saturday is the best time to maximise attendances. I would have thought Sundays would now be far better to get families able to go together. The dynamic of peoples lives is different now to the 40s,50's,60s etc when 3pm was the norm. As is the dynamic of the people attending games.

But with retail therapy types wanting shops open 24/7 is that even a reality for the future?

Also with Champions League you could have two games on a Saturday. And any requirements from broadcasters like Sky and BT who have channels to sell.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive football fan. have Sky Sports, BT Sport, a season ticket at my club and go to some away games. That's really enough for me - there really doesn't need to be any more games on the box but if you really do want to watch more games there are ways of doing it as has already been pointed out.

Regarding the point about attendances being affected it's not just matches in lower leagues where there may be a fall but also at the games being televised. Watching a game with a third full ground is not going to be a big attraction. Perhaps the OP would like artificial crowd noise broadcast as well to make up for the lack of atmosphere?
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get up to AJ +4 on Hotbird. Everything else (i.e. the ones showing Premier League - +5 - +10 & HD1-HD6) are on Nilesat and the footprint for that falls way outside the UK. You could just about get a signal from the outer edges of the fringe in the South of the UK from Nilesat but you'd need a minimum dish size of about 2.4m in good weather and at least 3m in rain!

well like i said its not impossible and people are getting them , must be down too bigger dish size and where they are but the forum i go too has lots of people picking them up with between 51% and 68% signal absolutely fine .
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add my 2 pence worth, not a particularly big football fan. I think is unfair that English/British fans of EPL clubs can't watch ALL EPL games, when EPL fans elsewhere in the world can. If the EPL are worried about losing money, then demand a more money from television broadcasters, who then would most likely pass the cost on to the consumer (i.e. us). If we have that much money to blow, then that's our problem not their's. Further, by broadcasting all games live here in UK would kill off all illegal downloads and streams instantly, because we would have legal means of watching matches.
  • Options
    matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    People would still watch illegally if it was cheaper, but going back to the OP - I think it will happen.

Cash is ALWAYS king when it comes to television rights and if the money is big enough then the Premier League will do the deal. They're just starting a massive tv deal and if they want to exceed that again next time around, they could well follow the American route of showing all games.

It does make sense, given the technology and demand etc. The US tend to have regional blackouts (i.e New York home games are blacked out in the New York area), whether this would work here, I don't know as the UK is so much smaller.

I would quite happily pay for a 'tv season ticket' of my club (I live four hours away from them).
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    It seems the UK is the only country that cannot watch the English Premier League. Now NBC even has the rights to show ALL of the EPL games live in America.

I just don't understand it.

Sky show 112
    BT show 38

Out of 380 games, that's 230 unavailable, or 60% of games, that we cannot watch.

Such backward thinking.

I don't know who sells the rights of the EPL (I don't even know what the EPL is) but the Premier League sells the rights of the Premier League, which in terms of the TV rights is an agreement between its 20 member clubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Just to add my 2 pence worth, not a particularly big football fan. I think is unfair that English/British fans of EPL clubs can't watch ALL EPL games, when EPL fans elsewhere in the world can. If the EPL are worried about losing money, then demand a more money from television broadcasters, who then would most likely pass the cost on to the consumer (i.e. us). If we have that much money to blow, then that's our problem not their's. Further, by broadcasting all games live here in UK would kill off all illegal downloads and streams instantly, because we would have legal means of watching matches.

They've just taken over £3billion for 154 matches each season + highlights. They're certainly not worried about losing money. They can't 'demand' anything though - it's an open, blind auction where one bidder has to bid higher than the other in order to win.

Second BIB is a bit naive. What makes you think that people would pay for it just because it was available to them via Sky etc? Do you not think it'd just make streams even more widely available than they are now?
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a UEFA rule as such - they just make sure it's adhered to! Every domestic FA can submit a list of 'blocked broadcasting hours' to UEFA before the start of each season if they choose to. It's entirely up to each FA.

The Spanish and German FA's choose not to submit any blocked broadcasting hours. The only FA's in Europe that chose to have a TV blackout this season are: Austria, England, Macedonia, Montenegro, Northern Ireland & Scotland. Everybody else chose not to bother so they can all show football at any time they choose.

Quoted for truth.

Simple fact is if the premier league really wanted to make all 380 games available they would have managed it one way or another. It would of been having a long talk with the FA in hopes of lifting the 3pm blackout else move all kick off's away from the sat 3pm window. playable in any of the current TV time slots or something. The premier league obviously didn't feel it was necessary. Personally I often find the games between the smaller premier league clubs more interesting than the majority of televised games on the whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    They're only showing one PL game, the Swansea/Man Utd game.

Hmmm, not sure where the 3 PL games thing came from? :confused:
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member

Last game of the season is now on the Sunday mainly 4pm kick offs, but there has been 3pm kick offs.

I wouldn't be against moving all Saturday 3pm Premier League games to the 3pm Sunday, however a problem with that is when teams play in the Champions League on the Tuesday, when Premier League game then would have to be on Saturday or Friday Night.
  • Options
    Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The Premier League are free to show all their matches live, all they need to do is move all their kick-off times so they don't clash with 3pm on a Saturday.

Whether some want to accept or not the blackout period is there for a very good reason and if it served no purpose it would not be in place. It's existence is probably a major reason why we still have such a well supported game below the Premier League.

The FA are there for all levels of the game and with 3pm on a Saturday being the traditional kick-off time for Leagues up and down the country the blackout is for their benefit and is probably more relevant today than it has ever been.

As I mentioned above the Premier League could shift their programme to say Sunday to overcome this issue but I would guess they feel the current deal is the best option at the moment where they maximise both TV income and matchday income for their clubs.
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Televising all games will happen I reckon within 5 years, even it means moving the default kick off time of the Football League to 1pm, to accommodate PL games kicking off at, say 4pm - thus avoiding a clash.
  • Options
    coldoasiscoldoasis Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    It seems the UK is the only country that cannot watch the English Premier League. Now NBC even has the rights to show ALL of the EPL games live in America.

I just don't understand it.

Sky show 112
    BT show 38

Out of 380 games, that's 230 unavailable, or 60% of games, that we cannot watch.

Such backward thinking.

It's the Premier League or to be precise the Barclays Premier League

There's no such thing as the EPL :rolleyes: