Options

Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »

To go back to 1D: I think they are still very young & people want them to mature suddenly because they seem to think that they have been around long enough to do that, but they are just around 20.
    I hope that the lyrics will mature a little, I know that some of the songs in the album will be with harmonies (because it's the case in the other albums as well).
    But if there is a future great music writer: I don't see how he could have the time to hone his craft in this whirlwind of life that they have & reach the very high standart that some people seem to demand from them (plus the fact that people seem to give the boys 6 months to 1 year to do that...). And let's be honest: even if they reached it, I know many people would not aknowledge it anyway because they just have a certain image of 1D, and they don't want to change their minds!

They have written more and more for each album, we will see what it is like when it is out...

Nobody expects them to go very mature, but a little wouldn't hurt. About being young is not a great excuse as all other boybands were also the same age as them. Besides, they do have songwriters and they could very easily write more mature songs for them.

And about the songwriting thing... I just hope they don't have 3-5 songwriters credited before that because that would mean again they haven't had a huge input. When I see their names first, or at least after one or two other songwriters - then I'll say they truly did write their songs.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Anyone can do a live stream. :confused:

They "New British Boyband" were randomly calling numbers while live and one number they called the girl ended up in tears when he said who who he was. They were thanking her for support and stuff like that.

Erm, what support? They're a bunch of unknown lads who have no records out yet, use twitter constantly for attention and SOMEHOW have nearly 80,000 followers on Twitter already.

I'm sorry but i hate bands like this. They're more manufactured crap like 1D. On ITV news this evening they played a montage of 1D's songs and they ALL sounded the same.

The hype is over-the-top and not worth a news story on both the local and national news.
  • Options
    xAliciaJayde1DxxAliciaJayde1Dx Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    They "New British Boyband" were randomly calling numbers while live and one number they called the girl ended up in tears when he said who who he was. They were thanking her for support and stuff like that.

Erm, what support? They're a bunch of unknown lads who have no records out yet, use twitter constantly for attention and SOMEHOW have nearly 80,000 followers on Twitter already.

I'm sorry but i hate bands like this. They're more manufactured crap like 1D. On ITV news this evening they played a montage of 1D's songs and they ALL sounded the same.

The hype is over-the-top and not worth a news story on both the local and national news.

The New British Boyband will be massive stars!!
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction are better than all of those boybands put together and will last much longer!!!
    lolz!!

Is the town of Larry close to the City of Cloud Cuckoo perchance

;)
  • Options
    casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dislike 1D - from the rare occasions I've seen them be interviewed, they seem like nice boys. Their fans, on the other hand... they make Justin Bieber's lot ('Beliebers', I believe they're called) look like the most mature fanbase ever sometimes. And that's saying something. And plus, their music just isn't my cup of tea.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I would say jealousy. At 17 or 18, I was exactly the same as them, really cute but that didn't happen to me though it could have if I had been in the right place at the right time.

I won't comment on if they have brains, maybe they do and maybe they don't. If someone had wanted to package me up and sell me to little girls, mums and gays(no sexual connotations please) I'd have bit their hand off and it would have been a smart financial move.

So taking that into consideration you really can't hate them because how many of us would turn down the opportunity they've had?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://thisisverified.com/1484541

Who makes this things up? The biggest movie EVER is just ridiculos:rolleyes: Maybe it will be the biggest concert movie, but thats it. But winning BAFTA is just pushing it.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    If it doesn't surpass Spiceworld, there's been a huge mistake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I have seen this thread for months but have always decided not to bother adding my thoughts. Seeing as though they are absolutely EVERYWHERE at the moment, and therefore irritating me, now is as good a time as any :p

I don't hate them. I hate that it has been so easy for them to get to where they are. They were just 5 average lads that auditioned for a reality show. They all failed said auditions. With good reason too. Their best singer at the time, was barely average in the vocals department.

Cowell saw pound signs and put them together as a boyband. I don't really agree with those who have failed auditions(even though I know first-hand that the entire audition process is a joke) getting a second chance like this, but fair enough. So at that point, we should judge them on what they are like as a whole. The answer was very poor. Vocals ranging from extremely average to very poor, no harmonies and no stage presence whatsoever. I watched every week of that year's X Factor and the only week I thought they were anything resembling half-decent was when they dueted with Robbie Williams in the final. They came 3rd, and even that was thanks mostly to kids and hormonal teenage girls.

Thanks in part to their growing, rabid fanbase and social media; their profile rises before their first single is released. Said first single is as cliched as it gets. The chorus is catchy, but the whole thing is as bubblegum and vapid as it gets. I still can't name another song from that first album. I only ever heard What Makes You Beautiful played when they were mentioned literally until the second album was released(or the first single from it) :confused: I could never understand how the US success came about. Is it the accents? Or purely their looks? All of the above?

By the time their second album came out, they were absolutely everywhere. Again, though, the songs sounded fairly bog-standard pop to me. Nothing remarkable. This is one of the things I really don't understand about their success. I could point to outstanding pop songs from both the Spice Girls and Take That(to give examples of successful acts like this when I myself was in my teens), but I can't do that with this lot.

They are just completely average to me in every way. The Spice Girls were the same....but as I just mentioned, I could at least point to some excellent pop songs in their catalogue. I'm a bloke, so I suppose I can't really critique their looks...but they just look like average late-teens lads to me...styled to within an inch of their lives.

They have been marketed incredibly well, I have to applaud Cowell and his team(s) for that. They know what the market wants and they give it to them. I just wish that market was more discerning....but we're talking about mostly pre-teen and teenage girls here. Their brains haven't fully developed yet. (That's not a dig, it's the truth). I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that at least a small percentage will look upon their fangirling in the future with embarrassment.

I think the main thing I find so annoying about the whole 1D phenomenon is NOT that they are successful, it's NOT their fans....but the way they are worshiped by older people and celebrities as if they are super-talented rockstars or athletes or something. The way they are talked about by news outlets. BBC News, Sky News, The Times....all what I'd consider at least reasonably reputable outlets....covering them as if they are these incredible humans with incredible talent. They aren't. They were in the right place at the right time, and have ran with it. They do as they're told. There is nothing particularly unique or special about them.....it is just extremely clever marketing to an extremely hungry market who perhaps aren't the most discerning.

So, to summarize; I can't 'hate' the members themselves, I can't 'hate' their fans....I just hate that they are in the position they are in not through talent but by extremely effective marketing and that it seems to have brainwashed people (who perhaps should know better) into thinking that they are these superstar rockstars. I think that's maybe the appeal of them to a lot of people, though......they were given an opportunity and have taken full advantage of it and have incredible lifestyles and wealth as a result. It'd be foolish of anyone to blame them for taking what was given to them....but I think it's quite sad that they have this status not as a result of their talent. But that's a sign of the times we live in, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the town of Larry close to the City of Cloud Cuckoo perchance

;)

I would have thought it would be somewhere in-between Psycho and Mental.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    i dont hate them..i just think they are sh!te.

:D:D:D:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    To be fair I actually think One Direction are bigger then a lot of the bands you mentioned. The likes of Blue and Busted were never big enough worldwide for a world tour. They probably are the biggest British band since the Spice Girls.

I'm a 23 year old guy and I must admit, I never liked them on X Factor and was frustrated that they even made the final. However, its taken almost 3 years for me to say it but I'm actually warming to them. Yes they aren't the most talented vocally but they do have something about them and that something has worked for them as the world have jumped on to it.

I recently saw them perform a live version of their song "Little Things" and I was pleasantly surprised at how great it sounded.

I don't think its very fair for people to judge them too harshly. They are young and living their dream so just let them enjoy it. Like everything, it will fizzle out eventually so I don't blame them for making the most of it. If I was in their shoes I certainly would! Its also really nice to see more British acts doing so well globally these days

Well said and I concur :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can hate them:mad:

I <3 them so much!!
    lolz!!

I am sorry but this made me cackled :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction are better than all of those boybands put together and will last much longer!!!
    lolz!!

You are very funny :D:D:D
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen this thread for months but have always decided not to bother adding my thoughts. Seeing as though they are absolutely EVERYWHERE at the moment, and therefore irritating me, now is as good a time as any :p

I don't hate them. I hate that it has been so easy for them to get to where they are. They were just 5 average lads that auditioned for a reality show. They all failed said auditions. With good reason too. Their best singer at the time, was barely average in the vocals department.

Cowell saw pound signs and put them together as a boyband. I don't really agree with those who have failed auditions(even though I know first-hand that the entire audition process is a joke) getting a second chance like this, but fair enough. So at that point, we should judge them on what they are like as a whole. The answer was very poor. Vocals ranging from extremely average to very poor, no harmonies and no stage presence whatsoever. I watched every week of that year's X Factor and the only week I thought they were anything resembling half-decent was when they dueted with Robbie Williams in the final. They came 3rd, and even that was thanks mostly to kids and hormonal teenage girls.

Thanks in part to their growing, rabid fanbase and social media; their profile rises before their first single is released. Said first single is as cliched as it gets. The chorus is catchy, but the whole thing is as bubblegum and vapid as it gets. I still can't name another song from that first album. I only ever heard What Makes You Beautiful played when they were mentioned literally until the second album was released(or the first single from it) :confused: I could never understand how the US success came about. Is it the accents? Or purely their looks? All of the above?

By the time their second album came out, they were absolutely everywhere. Again, though, the songs sounded fairly bog-standard pop to me. Nothing remarkable. This is one of the things I really don't understand about their success. I could point to outstanding pop songs from both the Spice Girls and Take That(to give examples of successful acts like this when I myself was in my teens), but I can't do that with this lot.

They are just completely average to me in every way. The Spice Girls were the same....but as I just mentioned, I could at least point to some excellent pop songs in their catalogue. I'm a bloke, so I suppose I can't really critique their looks...but they just look like average late-teens lads to me...styled to within an inch of their lives.

They have been marketed incredibly well, I have to applaud Cowell and his team(s) for that. They know what the market wants and they give it to them. I just wish that market was more discerning....but we're talking about mostly pre-teen and teenage girls here. Their brains haven't fully developed yet. (That's not a dig, it's the truth). I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that at least a small percentage will look upon their fangirling in the future with embarrassment.

I think the main thing I find so annoying about the whole 1D phenomenon is NOT that they are successful, it's NOT their fans....but the way they are worshiped by older people and celebrities as if they are super-talented rockstars or athletes or something. The way they are talked about by news outlets. BBC News, Sky News, The Times....all what I'd consider at least reasonably reputable outlets....covering them as if they are these incredible humans with incredible talent. They aren't. They were in the right place at the right time, and have ran with it. They do as they're told. There is nothing particularly unique or special about them.....it is just extremely clever marketing to an extremely hungry market who perhaps aren't the most discerning.

So, to summarize; I can't 'hate' the members themselves, I can't 'hate' their fans....I just hate that they are in the position they are in not through talent but by extremely effective marketing and that it seems to have brainwashed people (who perhaps should know better) into thinking that they are these superstar rockstars. I think that's maybe the appeal of them to a lot of people, though......they were given an opportunity and have taken full advantage of it and have incredible lifestyles and wealth as a result. It'd be foolish of anyone to blame them for taking what was given to them....but I think it's quite sad that they have this status not as a result of their talent. But that's a sign of the times we live in, unfortunately.

The last word on 1D, if you ask me. I can't think of much to add. It is pretty much spot on, in my opinion.

I don't hate them either and I agree they cannot be blamed for taking the fame and riches being handed to them on a plate in return for their mediocre talent and looking reasonably attractive.

What bugs me about them is that the music seems so dull and generic. It's as if nobody is putting any effort into making that side of things at all credible. I know it's never been the place of these manufactured boybands to push the boundaries of music, but they could at least give them really good pop songs. There's nothing wrong with good pop and plenty of writers out there could give it to them. I think their fans are being denied that - not that most of them probably care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB Round of Applause, well, well said :cool:
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    http://thisisverified.com/1484541

Who makes this things up? The biggest movie EVER is just ridiculos:rolleyes: Maybe it will be the biggest concert movie, but thats it. But winning BAFTA is just pushing it.

Absolutely ludicrous, that's never going to happen... But I even heard it on BBC breakfast today that it's going to be the biggest British film ever. How's that even possible? Maybe the biggest British documentary... But you've had Harry Potter, James Bond etc. which are so much bigger :)
    Some journalists clearly don't think before they write! Not One Direction's fault though and no reason to hate them...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    seriously its not that bad, in my high school about 10% in 100 like bieber, little more like Gaga but at least 44% like 1D...which is good considering most in my school r druggies or pathetic, i think one direction r ok...liam is my fav, he is the hottest and sings best, well he is the only one the boys in my class actually admit can sing, so...but nope they arent hated, they have high polarity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Absolutely ludicrous, that's never going to happen... But I even heard it on BBC breakfast today that it's going to be the biggest British film ever. How's that even possible? Maybe the biggest British documentary... But you've had Harry Potter, James Bond etc. which are so much bigger :)
    Some journalists clearly don't think before they write! Not One Direction's fault though and no reason to hate them...

Of course not, I never thought it is their fault and I don't hate them for that - it is the stupid media that is totally bonkers.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    I don't hate them, i just hate their fanbase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone saw their first X-Factor performance recently? The middle 8 of 'Viva La Vida' is bloody AWFUL! :eek: How did they make it to 3rd place? Oh wait, I know, it was the massive backing track every single week. I'd love to hear them sing without the huge, overpowering backing vocals on the choruses.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Because their shit.

And annoying. And epitomise everything that is wrong with music today. But apart from that, they're great.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i got up this morning and switched bbc breakfast on they were on, i switch over to channel 3 only to see them on there as well. i swear they were on the news and the one show the day before too. also talking about them on the news on the radio (must've had no news to tell) couple of years ago i was sick of hearing about adele. now it's these guys. it's the media that makes me hate them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I'd love to hear them sing without the huge, overpowering backing vocals on the choruses.

And autotune! ;)
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    when i got up this morning and switched bbc breakfast on they were on, i switch over to channel 3 only to see them on there as well. i swear they were on the news and the one show the day before too. also talking about them on the news on the radio (must've had no news to tell) couple of years ago i was sick of hearing about adele. now it's these guys. it's the media that makes me hate them

the movie is coming out, they've just had a big premiere. they will be gone for the rest of their tour very soon & you won't have that issue for a couple of months :)
    But I understand how oversaturation can be an issue.