Is There Anything That ISN'T Offensive?

Comments

• Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    You don't grasp it.

Your last paragraph is a testament to the fact.

Please don't tell me what I do and don't. I wouldn't insult you by claiming that you don't grasp it, when I can appreciate we are just of different opinions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    if you do not like say your polish neighbours. you can not say anything as it would make you a racist.

People like you really get on my nerves!

If you don't like your 'Polish' neighbours, because they are Polish the yes you are indeed a xenophobic person.

However, if you don't like your neighbours who happen to be Polish because their are personality clashes then, thats because your personalities clash.

Why can't you silly people tell the difference between liking and disliking someone because of use being Human and we will not get on with everyone.

What Ron said is offensive, because of his generalisation of a religion, that is currently being ridiculed by the media.

So called, Christian, Jews, Hindus...etc commit horrible crimes in the name of religion, just as much as so called Muslims...but sane rational people know these are wicked people that hide behind religion to justify they evil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rappers in america have taken 'ownership' of the word as a response to the racism their forefathers suffered often by being called the N word.

Just to tidy up history - it was the black Civil Rights Movement that took to using it in order to counteract white use of the word. In the mid-1960s, long before rap (as we know it) existed. :)
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't tell me what I do and don't. I wouldn't insult you by claiming that you don't grasp it, when I can appreciate we are just of different opinions.

I'm not insulting you, I'm telling you how it is.

It's not my opinion that calling black people n*****s is offensive, it's not my opinion that calling people from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh, P***s is offensive, and it's not my opinion that suggesting someone in a hijab is a suicide bomber is offensive.

It just is.

If you refuse to listen to that because you consider criticism of your current views an insult, then how do you propose to get your head around what you can say and what you can't?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my main point is that it should not be used in conversation in any context even if it is to quote someone as Carole did. so the warning is appropriate but i don't agree with big brother using the word whilst issuing the warning.

i stated that in a historical book it is acceptable and in the examples of fiction you've given it would be acceptable to some and offensive to others. Everyone knows that the word was used to denigrate black people so the education argument is a little silly to be honest.

i'm not trying to erase the word or stop people discussing it. we are discussing it now but no one has actually used the word which is how it should be.

Actually you clearly said 'a history book on how the word originated for example would be acceptable but not in a work of fiction for example.'

So already you are adapting your previously rigid views on when and where certain words may be used, which is a good start.:)
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Is there anything left that isn't deemed offensive in this world any more?

It's getting ridiculous that no-one can so much as breathe any more without being jumped on or given a "warning" about offensive language !!

Is it just me who thinks the world's gone altogether mad?

So you would only be happy if ethnic minorities were fair game?

If you feel so hard done by at having to be so pc, then why not go to the carnival today and fill your boots,or would you rather do your name calling in the privacy of your home and amongst like minded friends?
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Good that's just the way it should be

so you think its wrong to joke about others.

so you must hate family guy south park american dad simpsons and any show that pokes fun at race and religion .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to tidy up history - it was the black Civil Rights Movement that took to using it in order to counteract white use of the word. In the mid-1960s, long before rap (as we know it) existed. :)

Bog off, Dave - there's no place for the voice of reason in a thread like this. :p
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    so you think its wrong to joke about others.

so you must hate family guy south park american dad simpsons and any show that pokes fun at race and religion .

Yes I do

And I don't like any of those shows
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Love_able wrote: »
    People like you really get on my nerves!

If you don't like your 'Polish' neighbours, because they are Polish the yes you are indeed a xenophobic person.

However, if you don't like your neighbours who happen to be Polish because their are personality clashes then, thats because your personalities clash.

Why can't you silly people tell the difference between liking and disliking someone because of use being Human and we will not get on with everyone.

What Ron said is offensive, because of his generalisation of a religion, that is currently being ridiculed by the media.

So called, Christian, Jews, Hindus...etc commit horrible crimes in the name of religion, just as much as so called Muslims...but sane rational people know these are wicked people that hide behind religion to justify they evil.

Its not being ridiculed at all

Its just that at present, there are more threats of terrorism and terrorism attacks on the western world by Muslims

Al Qaeda are Muslim - and they have been very much in the media over the last number of years

yes we know not all muslims are extremist - but you cant blame the media for reporting whats happening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I do

And I don't like any of those shows

you do not sound a fun person

and those show are funny as they do not care what they say.

and they are not racist as they joke and poke fun at everything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    Rappers in America can get a life. lol

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you at all. I think the N word can be used in books and in discussions. Only time its use is incorrect when its said as derogatory remark. The reason BB gives warning is not because the actual word causes offense its because people can't distinguish the context of a word being used and might take offence to it. Its a warning for 'possible' offence that it ''might'' cause.
    It seems that people are just ready to be offended the instant they hear something is deemed to be offensive.

Do you get offended every single time you hear the N word irrespective of the context its used in?

In the case of Carole who clearly did not mean it in a derogaroty sense, BB warned her just because she used the word. Similar case to Emily who was ejected years ago. i don't think she meant it as an insult at all but do you think she was justified in saying the word.

There is a long history of why the word is not used commonly now therefore people have their right to be offended if they hear it.

And why do you assume people who are offended by the N word don't have the common sense to distinguish the context it's used in? that's a little insulting.

the majority of black people would take offence of another race using the word regardless of context.

And you can discuss the word without actually using it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Love_able wrote: »

You don't really believe that - do you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Kitty, it might not occur to most YOUNG people to say it - people who have been brought up with a different idea of what is and is not acceptable. It most certainly would be, and is, used by older people brought up in a time when the tv du jour was Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part, (both anti-racism programmes btw). They might occasionally slip up verbally, but it doesn't make them racist. I laughed my head off at LTN and TDUDP.

You only have to listen to Big Ron for 5 minutes to see that he is a kindly gentleman and about 1000 times more interesting and restrained than the vacuous z listers in whose company he now finds himself.

so you're basically judging him on face value then rather than his words.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    you do not sound a fun person

and those show are funny as they do not care what they say.

and they are not racist as they joke and poke fun at everything.

No I don't find been bigoted fun

Funny enough in another part of this site you get real upset over dyslexic jokes as you have it yourself but find it OK and funny for anyone else to be called
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    So you would only be happy if ethnic minorities were fair game?

If you feel so hard done by at having to be so pc, then why not go to the carnival today and fill your boots,or would you rather do your name calling in the privacy of your home and amongst like minded friends?

Not at all. That's just your wrongly misguided assumption.

Once again, this thread I did not mention racial matters in my opening post. I was speaking generally about the overall PC minefield of today. It's others taking it to a whole new level I never intended. (Thought being DS I should have known better!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stargate03 wrote: »

Its just that at present, there are more threats of terrorism and terrorism attacks on the western world by Muslims

Al Qaeda are Muslim - and they have been very much in the media over the last number of years

yes we know not all muslims are extremist - but you cant blame the media for reporting whats happening
    but sadly some people do not want face facts.

that some muslims are evil . just like there evil in other religions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    In the case of Carole who clearly did not mean it in a derogaroty sense, BB warned her just because she used the word. Similar case to Emily who was ejected years ago. i don't think she meant it as an insult at all but do you think she was justified in saying the word.

There is a long history of why the word is not used commonly now therefore people have their right to be offended if they hear it.

And why do you assume people who are offended by the N word don't have the common sense to distinguish the context it's used in? that's a little insulting.

the majority of black people would take offence of another race using the word regardless of context.

Really? Have you asked them all?

I would think they would want their abused past to be totally preserved so as to not ever let it happen again

If you remove it totally - how will u discuss it without actually using it , in generations to come
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Out of interest, have you seen any of them on here? Because I've looked long and hard and only found a few posts by black people, who said they weren't offended at all. (Obviously I understand that not all posters feel the need to declare their ethnicity before posting, but I suspect in a discussion like this, they would probably consider it relevant).

Any chance you're committing the cardinal sin of being offended on behalf of other people?

Just sayin'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually you clearly said 'a history book on how the word originated for example would be acceptable but not in a work of fiction for example.'

So already you are adapting your previously rigid views on when and where certain words may be used, which is a good start.:)

i'm open to changing views all the time if they make sense to me. and how do you know my views are so 'rigid'.

the matter of the word being used in a book was brought up by another fm. my initial post was about the word shouldn't be used in any context but then i clarified that i meant in conversation. this was to point out that Carole should not have used the word when she did. do you think she was right to use the word?

and why do Ron supporters like to pick on every little word without actually discussing the issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance you're committing the cardinal sin of being offended on behalf of other people?

Just sayin'

Why do we have to be offended on behalf of other people? What's wrong with being offended on behalf of society? The type of society we want to be a part of.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to live in a world where people are bullied because of their race or their religion or their gender or their sexuality or their disability, it would proper p*ss me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, have you seen any of them on here? Because I've looked long and hard and only found a few posts by black people, who said they weren't offended at all. (Obviously I understand that not all posters feel the need to declare their ethnicity before posting, but I suspect in a discussion like this, they would probably consider it relevant).

Just sayin'

being offended on other peoples behalf is the wost thing of all.

it should be down to the person it was said to . to take action if they want too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you're basically judging him on face value then rather than his words.

Lol, that doesn't even make any sense. :D

What, you think I'm judging him on his pretty face? :D

I'm judging him on what I know of his footballing history, (trust me, he's not known as a football icon for nothing), and his manner and general demeanour in the BB house. And yes, given a choice of which of those hms I'd like to have a drink in a pub with, he would be my No.1 choice. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being offended on other peoples behalf is the wost thing of all.

it should be down to the person it was said to . to take action if they want too.

B*llocks. I refer you to my last post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargate03 wrote: »

But the same can be said about Muslim nations, being under attack from western society also. What make us Westerners, moral and belief more important than any other nations?

I'm not implying that Muslim nations are correct in their views, however if we really cared about the Human rights issues of these countries I would be backing 'US' up, however its all about power and money and the western world wants to maintain its power over the rest of the world...just my opinion.