Options

Hello Ireland - the UK is NOT just England!

Comments

• Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention the channel Isles and the Isle of Man - Crown dependencies.

They are not part of the UK.

Their relationship is with the Crown. You rightly mentioned Crown dependencies.
  • Options
    pepipoppepipop Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    She is in Boreham Wood, which is in England, what is the problem.

Good point.
  • Options
    DeccaQuinneDeccaQuinne Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dialectic wrote: »
    Yes, for a supposedly intelligent woman, she is quite clueless.
    She thinks the most popular sport in Ireland is rugby -perhaps in her narrow social circles -Ron had to correct her on that one.

The most popular sport in Ireland is Gaelic Football - which is more like rugby than anything else... Ron's type of football isn't as popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Geography isn't Danielle's best subject but here in the UK we have 3 countries NOT just England!

Irish people can be very sensitive about not being British maybe they should offer the Welsh and Scottish the same regard!

Sorry it is a pet hate of mine! :(

I thought she said she loved being in England - because she was physically in England... but she knows the audience are all over the UK... I wasn't offended & I'm as huffy a Scot as ever lived. :D
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakone-Bee wrote: »
    They are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They have a British passport.

The whole point of this thread is Danielle referring to England when she should have referred to the UK. She was talking about voters who may keep her in. The whole of the UK can vote.

People from Northern Ireland can have an irish passport instead of a british one
  • Options
    snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most popular sport in Ireland is Gaelic Football - which is more like rugby than anything else... Ron's type of football isn't as popular.

Yes it is. The two most watched sporting events in Ireland last year were the Rep of Ireland v Croatia and Rep of Ireland v Spain Euro 2012 games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snariek wrote: »
    Yes it is. The two most watched sporting events in Ireland last year were the Rep of Ireland v Croatia and Rep of Ireland v Spain Euro 2012 games.

That doesn't make football Ireland's top sport.

More Irish people play in & go to stadiums to watch GAA sports than football.
  • Options
    dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member

Soccer IS more popular than rugby among the ordinary folk of Ireland .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member

The only reason more people go to watch more GAA is the football teams here are neglected by the Irish people in favour of watching the premiership. Believe me, Football is extremely popular over here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pepipop wrote: »
    Except the Scottish are looking to get out, and not too sure about the Welsh.

The Welsh have sheep not oil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But soccer has low attendance figures for local teams - the big sports are in the GAA and rugby gets more publicity... I've seen Limerick and Munster play rugby several times - I couldn't even name you a local Irish football team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm from Limerick and rugby is the most popular sport down here, and is in a lot of other counties, and is popular with ordinary folk!! soccer is huge too, but you just have to look at match attendances in Thomond Park or the RDS to see how popular rugby is!!!
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 countries in the UK.
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Irish, i'm well aware Britain is also Scotland and Wales. Why are you acting like every Irish person think's what Danielle thinks. bye
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EESuperFan wrote: »
    I'm Irish, i'm well aware Britain is also Scotland and Wales. Why are you acting like every Irish person think's what Danielle thinks. bye

Snap!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    But soccer has low attendance figures for local teams - the big sports are in the GAA and rugby gets more publicity... I've seen Limerick and Munster play rugby several times - I couldn't even name you a local Irish football team.

Stop basing popularity on low attendances. I support my local team in Ireland but the majority in this country don't. They go in their droves to the UK every weekend to watch matches. Football, certainly in Dublin, is far more popular than GAA in pubs, schools etc. the rest of the country differs.
  • Options
    snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's because there aren't really many big opportunities in local Irish soccer and Irish stadiums aren't exactly hosts to many premiership games. You'll find a lot more people who support Man U or Liverpool than their local GAA team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bantastic wrote: »
    Stop basing popularity on low attendances. I support my local team in Ireland but the majority in this country don't. They go in their droves to the UK every weekend to watch matches. Football, certainly in Dublin, is far more popular than GAA in pubs, schools etc. the rest of the country differs.

Ok - Ireland loves English football.... I stand corrected. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - Ireland loves English football.... I stand corrected. :D

We do, and GAA and rugby, we are sporting mad :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A friend who works in a major sports chain told me that soccer strips are the biggest seller, always sell out and are often pre-ordered for that reason. He can't say the same for rugby ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend who works in a major sports chain told me that soccer strips are the biggest seller, always sell out and are often pre-ordered for that reason. He can't say the same for rugby ones.

Where does he work? Just so you know the best selling club jersey in the world is the Munster one :D There is my useless fact for the day. I mean if 1million people live in Dublin and buy all loads of jerseys from that shop than obviously because of the population that Dublin has, and bigger footfall to the store the soccer jerseys will sell well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - we've established that you prefer the Premier League to anything home grown... I have repented... Danielle is truly thick and dreadful to believe anything that didn't contain David Beckham could be popular etc... etc... :p
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think but I could be wrong, in Ireland it depends on where you live & what school you go to as to what sport you follow, I am from South Dublin, went to a private school, Rugby is my first sport, when I lived in Dublin we all had season tickets for Leinster, next is Dublin for Gaelic & as I have family from Kilkenny, then it's Kilkenny for Hurling. Danielle has a D4 accent so I can imagine she was more of rugby fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes - we've established that you prefer the Premier League to anything home grown... I have repented... Danielle is truly thick and dreadful to believe anything that didn't contain David Beckham could be popular etc... etc... :p

I'm not a fan of any of the games:p just seen more evidence of soccer support, soccer talk etc...:yawn:
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,496
    Forum Member
    Jakone-Bee wrote: »
    No, not at all. Not everyone who voted for the SNP wants independence. Many felt it was a vote against Labour rather than a vote for the SNP. Independence wasn't a huge part of their last manifesto. They knew it would turn people away. Also, only a tiny minority of the nation actually voted for them.

Recent opinion polls suggest we remain part of the UK.

Tiny minority? At the last election, they became the first party to get over 50% of the seats in a PR voting system.