What Remains - New BBC drama

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    The dialogue was plonky and as usual just about everybody was hostile to the police for no reason.

That was maybe the most jarring part. While I would expect weariness, exasperation or reluctant helpfulness, someone just coming out with "Pig" was stupefying. It's like it was early 1970s Detroit not leafy suburbia.
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    De facto main thread is here.

Just suggesting it might be best to keep all the comments in a single thread.

If they could be merged that would be ideal, but there are some very good posts here it would be a shame to lose or miss.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I'd stick with this over 4 weeks. 90 minutes maybe but 4 episodes stretched over a month? That said I got through this first hour while eating dinner and working on my iPhone.

You either have to care about the victim. care about the detective or be intrigued by the plotline. I wasn't taken much by any of them. It looked liked they'd watched the Swedish Wallander, The Killing and a few recent successful ITV dramas, absorbed every cliché, mixed them up together then put it to a BBC committee. God, it's all so predictable.

The main character looked like a tramp to the extent he couldn't have worked for the police. The dialogue was plonky and as usual just about everybody was hostile to the police for no reason. It turned out some people were connected from before by startling coincidences. And in a plot hole nobody had noticed this woman had gone missing but actually they all spoke to each other every time they were on the stairs, I didn't find that convincing. London basement flats are always entered by a separate door and not through the main front door.

Also there really is nothing to suggest this woman was murdered and the police really would not bother in real life. She went into the loft, had a heart attack because she was unused to exercise and got left there. That really is what the police would think.

I don't recall it being mentioned where it was set, I assumed it was one of those anonymous places.

It's rare for a 31 year old woman to have a heart attack though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I found it a bit slow and I'm not sure if I'll be bothered to watch any more of it. What I do know for sure is that there would be no way that I'd buy a flat in that building, it was horrible. Rent? Perhaps, if I was desperate, but buy? Not a chance. I agree with those who found the detective to be scruffy and unconvincing. For me, I need a character that I can feel some emotion for and not one filled that requirement. I had great expectations but ended up with great disappointment.

Is it next week that Doc Martin returns? If it is, What Remains will remain unwatched.

Me neither, depressing looking place, plus - who is responsible for communal parts? The detective's house was nice though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit unreal at the start, with all the police coming and going, up and down the stairs, and police vans outside, there was only few people watching outside, and when the policeman went door to door at the other flats, no-one who was in at the time of the police activity had come out to find out what was going on, both the woman in the bath and the teenager, didn't have clue. That was just not realistic!
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea when the second part of this will be on Iplayer?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's there now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More twisty turny things than a twisty turny thing on holiday. Hmmm...... it is intriguing. Enjoying this apart from the ruddy green tinge so favoured these days in dramas. Why do they do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The younger dyke is such a bitch, she's so horrible - what a nasty person; I think it would be too obvious if she was the killer though.

I felt sorry for the copper when his neighbour stood him up, I dare say the guy simply forgot.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ratings did this get this week? Does anybody know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ratings did this get this week? Does anybody know?

From Ratings Thread

25 Aug What Remains 4.48m/20.6%
    1 Sep What Remains: 3.73m /15.6%