Options

2010 Sony TV no longer able to receive 4Music

Comments

• Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    gush wrote: »
    Yes, the firmware on my KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108.

But 4Music STILL makes my TV reboot - so no fix yet !

How long does it take when tuned to 4Music before it reboots? I just tried it for 5 minutes or so without any ill effect.
  • Options
    gushgush Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Mick Jones wrote: »
    How long does it take when tuned to 4Music before it reboots? I just tried it for 5 minutes or so without any ill effect.

Is your TV connected via LAN or Wi-Fi to the Internet so that you can actually use any of the Sony provided streaming services? If not, then your TV will behave itself when tuned to 4Music.

The reboot occurs within about 30 seconds, and if you leave it on 4Music, it will repeatedly reboot every 30 seconds or so!
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    The TV is connected by some Cat5 cable to a LAN switch, which also connects the Sony Bluray player and the Humax HDR Fox-T2, then by another Cat5 cable from the switch to the o2 router.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mick Jones wrote: »
    The TV is connected by some Cat5 cable to a LAN switch, which also connects the Sony Bluray player and the Humax HDR Fox-T2, then by another Cat5 cable from the switch to the o2 router.

Hmmm, maybe your KDL-40EX503 was never affected by this fault.

Not ALL 2010 models were afflicted by this issue.

Unless you can confirm that you had the issue originally, then I'm afraid we can't prove anything.
  • Options
    xtazxtaz Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    My HX703 has updated to firmware with 117 in the name rather than the 114 it showed before. 4music now no longer shows the red button and the TV is totally responsive and it's working exactly like the other channels. So fix works with that model at least.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,543
    Forum Member
    Yes, the firmware on my KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108.

But 4Music STILL makes my TV reboot - so no fix yet !

Just checked Sony Assist again, the new update 117 is now listed, dated 21/8/2013.

One of the 'cures' it provides says:
    TV reboots when refreshing Internet content several times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just checked Sony Assist again, the new update 117 is now listed, dated 21/8/2013.

One of the 'cures' it provides says:

Since my KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108 via OTA - there's no way I can re-apply the new FW even if it was available online which it isn't yet.

I have pulled the plug on the TV and I have retuned all channels - But 4Music STILL makes my TV reboot after 30 secs or so.

Furthermore Sony Customer support hasn't bothered to update me since their email of June 28th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    xtaz wrote: »
    My HX703 has updated to firmware with 117 in the name rather than the 114 it showed before. 4music now no longer shows the red button and the TV is totally responsive and it's working exactly like the other channels. So fix works with that model at least.

My KDL40EX723 was upated to firmware - vPKG4.021EUA which removed the red button option on 4Music but the when selecting channel 18 my TV reboots after approx 30 seconds and then reboots every 20 seconds until I switch off. During teh time the channel is showing the TV is unresponsive to the remote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ernest wrote: »
    My KDL40EX723 was upated to firmware - vPKG4.021EUA which removed the red button option on 4Music but the when selecting channel 18 my TV reboots after approx 30 seconds and then reboots every 20 seconds until I switch off. During teh time the channel is showing the TV is unresponsive to the remote.

My KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108 via OTA last week.

Pulled the plug on the TV and retuned all channels - but 4Music STILL rebooted after 30 secs or so.

Sony Customer support suggested doing a Factory reset. So after noting all my picture settings etc - I did a Factory Reset. This puts the TV back to day one even switches to Analogue reception by default - had to do yet another retune and NOW 4Music behaves itself.

So the answer seems to be the new firmware AND a Factory Reset !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108 via OTA last week.

Pulled the plug on the TV and retuned all channels - but 4Music STILL rebooted after 30 secs or so.

Sony Customer support suggested doing a Factory reset. So after noting all my picture settings etc - I did a Factory Reset. This puts the TV back to day one even switches to Analogue reception by default - had to do yet another retune and NOW 4Music behaves itself.

This could have been down to the update been OTA, normally when you manually update it reboots and resets at the end of it.
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same for me, but...

...I didn't need to perform a factory reset as the problem seemed to resolve itself on Saturday without any further intervention from me - I can now view 4Music properly again. So Channel 4's information to me that they were hopeful of a resolution by the end of August (see post #74) seems to have been a good call! :)
  • Options
    birdmanbirdman Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    The issue affects only 2010 models !
    Not correct..

I have a 32" EX723. Date of manufacture 03/2011. It was a new model at that point.

It can handle IPTV, but reboots on 4Music.

And I've just checked now. It still reboots, and I'm on the latest software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And now I've just tried a factory reset. This "works" to the extent that I can see 4Music straight after doing that. But *only* because the TV now has no network configured, As soon as I configure the network the system hangs then reboots on 4Music.

So nothing fixed here at all.

PS: Firmware is PKG4.021EUA-0104
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The solution would be either 4music correcting what's they've done, or Sony re-writing the software to cope with it.
    Regardless of what 4Music has done, the Sony software should be able to cope with it, even if that just means ignoring it.
    Unfortunately a lot of such software doesn't do much serious validation of input.
  • Options
    Laissez-FaireLaissez-Faire Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I had no problems until after the new firmware update PKG4.117EUL-0108, for KDL-32EX403, now crashing, restarting on Ch.85 RT when connected to the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had no problems until after the new firmware update PKG4.117EUL-0108, for KDL-32EX403, now crashing, restarting on Ch.85 RT when connected to the internet.

Yep, you've found another bug !!

I can confirm, my KDL-37EX403 running PKG4.117EUL-0108 will reboot if you watch Freeview Channel 85 Russia Today.

But this time, the TV only reboots if you have the channel on for more than a minute or so AND you then change channels - in my case the TV does not reboot if you just carry on watching - you have to switch channels for the TV to misbehave and reboot.

It seems Sony don't bother to QA their firmware very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, you've found another bug !!

I can confirm, my KDL-37EX403 running PKG4.117EUL-0108 will reboot if you watch Freeview Channel 85 Russia Today.

But this time, the TV only reboots if you have the channel on for more than a minute or so AND you then change channels - in my case the TV does not reboot if you just carry on watching - you have to switch channels for the TV to misbehave and reboot.

It seems Sony don't bother to QA their firmware very well.

Yes you need to stay on Ch.85 then try to switch channels, if the network connection is removed then the problem disappears (after reboot). I am currently battling through Sony support levels at the moment. If I get a coherent response I will post here.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you need to stay on Ch.85 then try to switch channels, if the network connection is removed then the problem disappears (after reboot). I am currently battling through Sony support levels at the moment. If I get a coherent response I will post here.

How bizarre that the programme on RT now is "Breaking The Set" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Which 'country' are you talking to?, last I heard 'Sony' support was in Egypt (and nothing to do with Sony, it's out-sourced), but with the ongoing problems there it may have moved? - someone the other day said they were on to China?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which 'country' are you talking to?, last I heard 'Sony' support was in Egypt (and nothing to do with Sony, it's out-sourced), but with the ongoing problems there it may have moved? - someone the other day said they were on to China?.

Well it's via email so can't be sure but the header IP says Belgium
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it's via email so can't be sure but the header IP says Belgium

Right - different matter via Email, and Sony certainly have a LARGE presence in Belgium, with all spares for Europe stored and dispatched from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right - different matter via Email, and Sony certainly have a LARGE presence in Belgium, with all spares for Europe stored and dispatched from there.

Well they have responded with an "offer" of a chargeable repair, I have declined the offer. I can live without the network connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well they have responded with an "offer" of a chargeable repair, I have declined the offer. I can live without the network connection.

I don't see as that would help in any way?, all they would do is issue the job to a local service agent (like me) - who could only replace the main board, load the latest software, and see what happened.

From what you've said that probably wouldn't make any difference?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see as that would help in any way?, all they would do is issue the job to a local service agent (like me) - who could only replace the main board, load the latest software, and see what happened.

From what you've said that probably wouldn't make any difference?.

Exactly, that's why I declined, they acknowledged it was the firmware that caused the problem and then suggested a repair, makes no sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, that's why I declined, they acknowledged it was the firmware that caused the problem and then suggested a repair, makes no sense.

Sony have passed this on for further investigation - always copy your correspondence to christopher.bowen@eu.sony.com - that way you seem to get their attention!

They will have to modify their firmware yet again!