Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Good afternoon. I made a point of listening to Hooked On Classics last night and realised I actually like it more than I thought. Not sure I would stretch to a couple of albums though! ;).

Afternoon! Still got my 12" copy.

God Only Knows, this typifies flower power and the summer of love for me - even though I was only 2. a 5 starrer on my Itunes collection, a classic...
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Beatles track no 1...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now Sunny - wasn't the Boney M cover late last year on the TOTP repeats?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Afternoon! Still got my 12" copy.

God Only Knows, this typifies flower power and the summer of love for me - even though I was only 2. a 5 starrer on my Itunes collection, a classic...

Used your info on Audacity last night thanks Keicar. Managed to record the 1981 show off the BBC radio catch up. Now I've got to see what to do next, later on. But I have a file with the show on it, played by Audacity. I'd heard of that software but not realised its possibilities. Hope to turn it into an mp3 file of that entire 1981 hour later - Classical Muddley included! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used your info on Audacity last night thanks Keicar. Managed to record the 1981 show off the BBC radio catch up. Now I've got to see what to do next, later on. But I have a file with the show on it, played by Audacity. I'd heard of that software but not realised its possibilities. Hope to turn it into an mp3 file of that entire 1981 hour later - Classical Muddley included! :)
    Annoying we're now having to jump through all these hoops...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working In A Coalmine, a hit in the charts a couple of weeks before Aberfan in October! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Annoying we're now having to jump through all these hoops...

Oh the irony of last week for me. I slated the first track played from 1981, but actually thought that the whole chart was infact one of the best he's ever played, probably due to being just 12 and almost every sound having some resonance.

Shame about having to "jump the hoops" as you say. Now I need to find out how to get past the digital rights management that stops playing the whole episodes of TOTP a few weeks after downloading them too! That really p's me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PM'd you some help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think back to how Skillsoft handle it - by personalising the prints.. if the content was watermarked on playout - then it could be tracked if shared...

But if it was downloaded in standard formats to be playable on anything owned by the legit customer - and backed up.. what's the problem? Really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PM'd you some help!

Cheers Keicar! :cool: Will let you know how I get on.

Seekers - I cannot work out why this kind of music was so popular for them in the middle 60's. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the irony of last week for me. I slated the first track played from 1981, but actually thought that the whole chart was infact one of the best he's ever played, probably due to being just 12 and almost every sound having some resonance.

Shame about having to "jump the hoops" as you say. Now I need to find out how to get past the digital rights management that stops playing the whole episodes of TOTP a few weeks after downloading them too! That really p's me off.

As I said if you record the program on a PVR in many cases you can extract it onto a USB stick, it will play on your PC and if you wish burn it to DVD. Files take a couple of minutes to copy over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I think back to how Skillsoft handle it - by personalising the prints.. if the content was watermarked on playout - then it could be tracked if shared...

But if it was downloaded in standard formats to be playable on anything owned by the legit customer - and backed up.. what's the problem? Really?

Licence fee paid for TOTP. Licence fee pays for the website. So if I download a BBC show for playing on my basic Quick Time player I fail to see why it should be time limited, regardless of the musical rights within the show itself.

Winchester Cathedral became a US No1 a couple of months after this UK chart. Funny for a track that sounds so utterly English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can picture many of these discs, my sister was 16 years older than me, and had many of these records, Winchester Cathereral was on a blue label, the Sandpipers a pink one... (Pye I think!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really felt the sadness coming out of that Roy Orbison track, Too Soon To Know, without knowing that it was written about his family tragedy that Tony then mentioned afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall thinking, and still do, what a really poor record from Duran Duran that was. What was it about 1988 that made even some of the best artists put out such poor material?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall thinking, and still do, what a really poor record from Duran Duran that was. What is it about 1988 that made even some of the best artists put out such poor material?
    Were they trying to recreate the vibe Nile Rodgers generated for them when producing Notorious?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall thinking, and still do, what a really poor record from Duran Duran that was. What was it about 1988 that made even some of the best artists put out such poor material?

By 1988 they were only 3/5 of a group, drugs also had taken their toll. This may be bad but not as bad as their mid 90's cover of White Lines....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yazz & The Plastic Population Tony! He has said "Plastic Revolution" twice. :o

I'm looking forward to a hit by Prince & The Population sometime.

Plus by 1988 did they not briefly alter their name from Duran Duran to Duranduran? Clearly on something mind bending to have made that crazy move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus by 1988 did they not briefly alter their name from Duran Duran to Duranduran? Clearly on something mind bending to do have made that crazy move.

And in the same year Madness became The Madness...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was from the better end of the 1988 spectrum, must mean the rest were pretty poor, as indeed the year was. Womack and Womack aside, which in my opinion had a more mid 80's feel, the rest of the Top 20 were pretty limp.

The Top 2 typify for me what went wrong post 1986 - no imagination, a 1969 re-issue at No.1 and a previous No.1 that was a poor 1966 cover, just catching the last 10 minutes of the show, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a 60's year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was from the better end of the 1988 spectrum, must mean the rest were pretty poor, as indeed the year was. Womack and Womack aside, which in my opinion had a more mid 80's feel, the rest of the Top 20 were pretty limp.

The Top 2 typify for me what went wrong post 1986 - no imagination, a 1969 re-issue at No.1 and a previous No.1 that was a poor 1966 cover, just catching the last 10 minutes of the show, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a 60's year.

Must admit that listening to that 1988 chart confirms everything I thought about the year while I was living it, never mind looking back and judging it from now. It's a maddening year, especially when you compare it with last weeks 1981 chart, just 7 short years earlier. The U2 single was rubbish, Pet Shop Boys was a limp effort, Whitney was generic, Phil Collins was dreary beyond belief, and the best record happens to be 19 years old and at No1. Even the Yazz hit sounds somewhat dated, and she is a classic case of here today, gone tomorrow. It says it all really. Those that mention the charts post 1986/87 are damned right, even if one or two others bemoan the fact when we mention it over on the TOTP thread now and again. 1988 just sounds lazy, poorly produced and lacking....and this was the better end of '88!

So few records from 1988 really stand the test of time. :(
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First for POTP's two of the same years next Saturday to mark the first show for Sara Cox - Sounds Of The 80's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    First for POTP's two of the same years next Saturday to mark the first show for Sara Cox - Sounds Of The 80's.

Two of the same year? won't that be a bit boring?
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they'd put POTP back to Sunday afternoons as I'm rarely in to listen live to it on Saturday. Not going to disagree with some points made re the 88 chart, though I'm going to enjoy it and seeing if Tony plays any different tracks to what Dale did and, if so, which ones.