Options

Do you have cushions on the bed?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have a couple of pretty cushions - one normal-sized, one small - but to me they're practical and I couldn't get comfortable without them. But then I use my bed as a settee during the day and evening. I need something to prop my head up when I'm lying on the bed watching DVDS from the telly opposite my bed, or reading - it wouldn't be comfortable at all to lie nearly flat to do that. I also have a couple of extra pillows I use when I'm not sleeping. They go on a nearby chair during the night.

I think the idea of cushions on the bed is for the above. Like a bedroom chair they make a bedroom more usable and comfy.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't even have them on the sofa let alone the bed. A comfortable sofa doesn't need cushions and beds do not need to look pretty.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the hanging basket painted hearts, and those 'home' wooden things.

Bleaaaurrrghhh.

(very grumpy this evening).

We have just about described my sister's house :D. No idea where she gets it from as my parent's idea of interior design was moving one pile of books from the dining table to the hall floor.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    I won't even have them on the sofa let alone the bed. A comfortable sofa doesn't need cushions and beds do not need to look pretty.

women like beds to look pretty, no idea why:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »

Well I'm a woman and don't understand it either. And as for soft toys in the bedroom..........words fail me.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    We have just about described my sister's house :D. No idea where she gets it from as my parent's idea of interior design was moving one pile of books from the dining table to the hall floor.

My parents too.

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    I'm also a woman and think things can look good without cluttering up the place with tat. I blame Laura Ashley. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm a big fan of pretty bedrooms with lots of cushions, soft toys and dolls.

I always think some soft toys give a cosy impression of softness, warmth and comfort. Also I would guess a bedroom decorated with lots of fabric, cushions and soft toys would tend to keep warmer and quieter than one without - fabric absorbs heat and sound.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    Well I'm a big fan of pretty bedrooms with lots of cushions, soft toys and dolls.

I always think some soft toys give a cosy impression of softness, warmth and comfort. Also I would guess a bedroom decorated with lots of fabric, cushions and soft toys would tend to keep warmer and quieter than one without - fabric absorbs heat and sound.

It's up to you. If you like it then you have it.

I think it's childish and weirdly creepy myself.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Jon O wrote: »

Nor me... I can't say I wander into the bedroom very often during the day, and I certainly don't do so to admire my bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Impossible to clean though.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I do not. I cannot see the point. I have cushions on the settee.
    Same. Stupid bloody furniture designers don't believe in lumbar supports so I have to use a cushion. At some point we need a class action against those jokers :(

But cushions on beds - nah. Silly idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    Impossible to clean though.

Well you can wash cushion covers and curtains, but that's basically true. However as a soft toys, frilly cushions and flowery fabrics liker, then you have the pleasure of replacing them with new stuff!

I used to have a four poster bed with extravagent frilly lacey curtains with rosette-decorated ribbon bow tie backs. It was my pride and joy and I was always primping the cushions and dolls and toys around it. But each to their own. A plain bedroom would depress me.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to have sprung up over recent years. I have two cushions on the bed, though they never get propped neatly up on top of the pillows. I keep them at the foot of the bed and the dog uses them in the night as pillows when sleeping with us.

I don't really see the point either, I always thought it came from hotels, where they provide extra cushions for comfort and design and then people started doing them in their bedrooms for a kind of luxurious hotel feel.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the point of a throw? we have one that we usually take off because its too hot!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Also, the narrow quilt that people place over the foot of the bed.....why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

That's in the same cupboard as the cushion. ;)
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our bed is quite big so I like to have extra plumpness at the head, but I also like being propped up a lot, sometimes some of them go on the floor at night, others are propping me up as I fidget through the night

We have throws all around, I never did when I was younger but now we like to conserve heat and wrap ourselves up in front of the telly and OH loves a cushion or two whereas me being fat, I dont need cushions behind me on the sofa!
  • Options
    Forum Member

That just says dust to me. :o:D
  • Options
    USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This scene from the BBC series coupling sums up the whole cushion thing (youtube) for me.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    There might be some logic to that. It presumably helps keep your feet warm and supposedly warm feet help you get to sleep faster.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/toast.html
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,474
    Forum Member
    Yes I do have a cushion on my bed.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's chintzy and pointless.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a V pillow. I also have 4 square cushions and 2 oblong ones. They Look lovely when the bed is made up but at night I put them all on the floor except V pillow which goes out after I finish reading.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I have a V pillow. I also have 4 square cushions and 2 oblong ones. They Look lovely when the bed is made up but at night I put them all on the floor except V pillow which goes out after I finish reading.

What is the point of having them on your bed in the first place? It just seems comically pointless to keep taking them off and putting them back.