Options

Ripper Street

Comments

• Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person I had a problem with in regards to mumbling was Jedediah Shine.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angry viewers have contacted the BBC to complain about 'meaningless mumbling' in the new series of 'Ripper Street', which started on Monday night. Many took to the broadcaster's Points of View message board to air their views. It comes after director-general Lord Hall promised to combat such issues, saying: “I…think muttering is something we could have a look at. Actors muttering can be testing – you find you have missed a line… you have to remember that you have an audience.” The BBC commented: “It is important to point out that we have had less than 8 complaints out of 5.1 million viewers which puts this issue into context.” [Daily Mail]

"Less than 8"?! Strange way of putting it!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

The BBC doesn't take into account the amount of viewers who didn't contact them directly to complain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »

I couldn't understand the other bent cop either at times. The one who was thrown out of the window.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't understand the other bent cop either at times. The one who was thrown out of the window.

I think I spent so long trying to place the actor that I didn't notice the mumbling so much!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Many took to the broadcaster's Points of View message board to air their views. It comes after director-general Lord Hall promised to combat such issues, saying: “mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm mmmm mmmmm Hong Kong mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmm mmmmmm mmmm" :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I spent so long trying to place the actor that I didn't notice the mumbling so much!

He was in Eastenders many years ago, and The Bill a long time ago also.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How infuriating was this, not the odd word but whole sentences !
    We replayed one such line three times & still could not get the gist of it, often miss the odd word but this episode was a joke.
    What made me laugh was I understood everything John Merrick said. :D
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »

Jesus Christ! It's fewer FFS!

I prefer mumbling method actors to idiots who can't use basic grammar. You wouldn't get that sort of comment from Radio 4.:D
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Jesus Christ! It's fewer FFS!

I prefer mumbling method actors to idiots who can't use basic grammar. You wouldn't get that sort of comment from Radio 4.:D

Grammatically incorrect it maybe but I understood the meaning, unlike with Jedadiah
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Yes, the 'knock yourself out' thing grated a little, but you have to brush off these annoyances with present-day TV dramasw.

Wouldn't it be better if they took that bit more care and tried to avoid anything that is obviously going to jar on viewers? They must spend a fortune on making it look as authentic as possible so it's a shame they don't take the same care with the script.
  • Options
    macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched the start of the new series yet. I do like Ripper Street as it has a very 'real feel' about it. The characters look quite authentically grubby with not too perfect clothing and the men appear not to have shaved with perfectly sharp Gillette blades. I mean that in a good way. Too many 'historical' series look like they have been unpacked out of boxes. In the White Queen for instance, although the series had it's merits, Elizabeth Woodville's 15th century wedding dress was straight from Pronuptia. Well OK not quite but I am sure it had a zip!
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Lol I stopped watching this show as I had such a hard time understanding a lot of what was being said. And I watch a lot of UK shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    How infuriating was this, not the odd word but whole sentences !
    We replayed one such line three times & still could not get the gist of it, often miss the odd word but this episode was a joke.
    What made me laugh was I understood everything John Merrick said. :D

lol :D And the Chinese guy.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Jedediah character that gave me and the OH problems too. He was definitely mumbling.
    Everyone else was okay for us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Yes, the 'knock yourself out' thing grated a little, but you have to brush off these annoyances with present-day TV dramas.

I think they ought to have included decent TV speakers in the standards for HDTV. Having decent sound should be as important as the picture itself. Then they could have a proper sound mix on the HDTV broadcasts and an easier to hear version on SD.

But they didn't.

It used to amuse me sometimes in the past when people had spent maybe £2000 on a big flat screen then asked for advice on buying a surround system to go with it - maximum budget £200. Not a good balance of priorities in my view.

Or wedge out on a nice HD TV but then don't put a HD source into it

Standard Sky+ box plus HDTV = no HDTV
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bebecat wrote: »
    Lol I stopped watching this show as I had such a hard time understanding a lot of what was being said. And I watch a lot of UK shows.

Can I just ask why, if you like the programme apart from the difficulty about sound, you didn't just turn the subtitles on?

As I said earlier, I automatically do this now. I'd rather have the subtitles on than miss a fantastic programme like Ripper Street!

Though it's mainly American programmes I have trouble following. The actors often talk so fast and so indistinctly I've no idea what they're on about.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Though it's mainly American programmes I have trouble following. The actors often talk so fast and so indistinctly I've no idea what they're on about.

They don't talk fast, or indistinctly. You are just having trouble with an accent that is strange to you. On American forums about British TV there's always people there complaining about British actors not being able to speak properly (dropping "h's" and such, saying "me" when they mean "my," etc.).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    They don't talk fast, or indistinctly. You are just having trouble with an accent that is strange to you. On American forums about British TV there's always people there complaining about British actors not being able to speak properly (dropping "h's" and such, saying "me" when they mean "my," etc.).

They do talk fast and indistinctly sometimes. That's when I don't catch what they are saying.

Other times their diction is fine, and I understand perfectly in spite of their "unfamiliar" accents (which I have been listening to on cinema screen, TV and real life for 50 odd years, so hardly unfamiliar!)

It's the new breed of "cool" cops or crims that I don't get. Their diction is often dreadful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do talk fast and indistinctly sometimes. That's when I don't catch what they are saying.

Other times their diction is fine, and I understand perfectly in spite of their "unfamiliar" accents (which I have been listening to on cinema screen, TV and real life for 50 odd years, so hardly unfamiliar!)

It's the new breed of "cool" cops or crims that I don't get. Their diction is often dreadful.

But what about when British people, or characters on screen, use "bad diction?" Do you not understand them? Of course you do. It IS about familiarity. You are a British person in the UK. No matter how many Americans you have met, or US films and TV shows you have seen, you are more used to hearing British people speak. I have been exposed to British accents all my life, but an educated Brit with a posh accent is still way easier to understand than someone lower class who speaks more informally. And people who have had to learn English as a second language have told me that while they were learning English EVERYBODY who spoke English sounded to them like they were always talking abnormally fast. The unfamiliar sound creates an illusion that the brain perceives as abnormal speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what about when British people, or characters on screen, use "bad diction?" Do you not understand them? Of course you do. It IS about familiarity. .

Er, no, I don't. Which is why I use the subtitles. As I said.

I'm not sure what the point you are making is. Sometimes I find it hard to understand actors, of whatever nationality. This happens more frequently than it used to. I don't know if it's my ears or the sound systems which are unable to cope with the poor diction of some actors.

Whichever, I find it useful to use the subtitles as a matter of course, and wonder why others, who have similar problems, don't use the subtitles rather than miss a programme they like.

Nothing more to be said, really. I'm sorry if you felt I was getting at American actors particularly - I wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Er, no, I don't. Which is why I use the subtitles. As I said.

I'm not sure what the point you are making is. Sometimes I find it hard to understand actors, of whatever nationality. This happens more frequently than it used to. I don't know if it's my ears or the sound systems which are unable to cope with the poor diction of some actors.

Whichever, I find it useful to use the subtitles as a matter of course, and wonder why others, who have similar problems, don't use the subtitles rather than miss a programme they like.

Nothing more to be said, really. I'm sorry if you felt I was getting at American actors particularly - I wasn't.

Okay, but it was your singling out American programmes that I wanted to address, not to scold you, but to note that I hear/read the same complaints -- talking too fast, mumbling -- about British shows on my side of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with the actors dialect. It's their diction and volume which is the problem no matter what part of the world they are from or are representing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, but it was your singling out American programmes that I wanted to address, not to scold you, but to note that I hear/read the same complaints -- talking too fast, mumbling -- about British shows on my side of the Atlantic.

Sorry, but I suppose I singled out American programmes because I watch more of them than any other!:)

I over-generalised in my post. I do understand most American actors perfectly well, whatever their accent. :)
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW I had no problems with the sound. This was on (freesat) HD. The Dolby Digital 2.0 (boo!) soundtrack was a bit clearer than the PCM soundtrack but both were OK. Mr Mumbles did indeed mumble but I hardly missed a word, and everyone else was crystal. This is through an AV amplifier into fairly hefty speakers though so I don't know if that made any difference--or whether it was worse in standard def. Were the people experiencing difficulties watching it in SD? Just a thought.