Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Yes i am, as an actress i find her scenes boring, I'm not enamoured with her acting skills either as she is so am dram at times. Even her presence in those irritating adverts makes me switch off and dare i say it but id cross the street rather than talk with her if she was a friend of mine. But as i said its just my personal opinion.

And i heard something regarding her diva attitude on set that makes me despise her.
    I don't know about her on set but I agree with you about her acting. I acted as a child between the ages of 5 and 12 and thus do know a little about acting and I am not impressed with her. Of course, acting as a child is not the same as doing it as an adult but it does give you some idea of what constitutes good acting. She only has two expressions so far. If she has another one I have missed it!

I don't think having done acting necessarily makes you more capable of judging an actor's talent. I'm a Creative Performance student, I have done quite a lot of acting since I was 13 and I intend to work as a professional actor for the rest of my life, and I'm pretty impressed by Camilla. Obviously when you've done a lot of it you might notice subtle things a little more, but there is still a lot of variation in the opinions of those in the know, this being an obvious example.
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acting skills are in the eye of the spectator. I've done a heck of a lot of training as an actor, I've now moved over to Directing in the last 4 years. Biggest thing I have learnt is that everyone has a different idea if what 'Good acting' is - I say good acting what I mean is convincing and believable acting.

Personally, I find Camilla's portrayl of Zosia okay, I get the sense of determination of the character coming through, so for me right now that is good enough.

I find that non-existent on-screen chemistry between characters/actors, more a problem when you are supposed to believe they are in love and high passion, when really they don't. But then again that is in the eye of the beholder. I never brought in to Tara/Ollie Harry/Gemma for example and they have a fan base on social media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Louise-ann wrote: »
    Acting skills are in the eye of the spectator. I've done a heck of a lot of training as an actor, I've now moved over to Directing in the last 4 years. Biggest thing I have learnt is that everyone has a different idea if what 'Good acting' is - I say good acting what I mean is convincing and believable acting.

I entirely agree with this statement.
  • Options
    Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I don't think having done acting necessarily makes you more capable of judging an actor's talent. I'm a Creative Performance student, I have done quite a lot of acting since I was 13 and I intend to work as a professional actor for the rest of my life, and I'm pretty impressed by Camilla. Obviously when you've done a lot of it you might notice subtle things a little more, but there is still a lot of variation in the opinions of those in the know, this being an obvious example.

You are probably correct and I must admit that, now I think about it, the fact that I loathe her in the ads and in Holby has colored my judgement a little. I still think she has only 2 expressions though but this may be the writing rather than her.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Chaseta wrote: »
    Ah I think I may have missed a few episodes as I don't recall these scenes, would you mind filling me in please? Then again my mind is not the best, I've probably seen this all happen and totally forgot! Haha

Don't remember all the details myself but I think it wasn't long after Edward arrived and was the homeless patient that they were doing 'primary defence' on (and whatever has happened to that???)
    He'd had an operation and then just Edward and M-C were left in the theatre. Edward didn't check what he was doing and injected the wrong medication into him (I think potassium) which caused the patient heart problems (which Edward quickly dealt with). But Edward said that M-C had labelled the drugs up wrongly, which obviously made her feel awful. And then (in my opinion) he used how bad she was feeling to get her to go for a drink with him by being very nice to her and not telling (and getting her not to tell) anyone else about what had happened.
    Hope this explains my previous comment a bit more clearly (I wouldn't trust him as far as I could spit - which really isn't far at all!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Don't remember all the details myself but I think it wasn't long after Edward arrived and was the homeless patient that they were doing 'primary defence' on (and whatever has happened to that???)
    He'd had an operation and then just Edward and M-C were left in the theatre. Edward didn't check what he was doing and injected the wrong medication into him (I think potassium) which caused the patient heart problems (which Edward quickly dealt with). But Edward said that M-C had labelled the drugs up wrongly, which obviously made her feel awful. And then (in my opinion) he used how bad she was feeling to get her to go for a drink with him by being very nice to her and not telling (and getting her not to tell) anyone else about what had happened.
    Hope this explains my previous comment a bit more clearly (I wouldn't trust him as far as I could spit - which really isn't far at all!!)

ah thanks for explaining things, I remember the episode with the homeless person so I must have not been paying full attention! Well then I must take back my previous comment about their friendship! I will be seeing Edward in a completely different way now, I thought he was one of the good guy. Poor mary-claire but I think she did something similar to Chantelle quite a long time back? Made a mistake and made sure she didn't get the flack for it and so the blame was put on Chantelle. I could be totally wrong though, and if it did happen I can't remember if she admitted the truth or if she let chantelle just take the blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chaseta wrote: »
    ah thanks for explaining things, I remember the episode with the homeless person so I must have not been paying full attention! Well then I must take back my previous comment about their friendship! I will be seeing Edward in a completely different way now, I thought he was one of the good guy. Poor mary-claire but I think she did something similar to Chantelle quite a long time back? Made a mistake and made sure she didn't get the flack for it and so the blame was put on Chantelle. I could be totally wrong though, and if it did happen I can't remember if she admitted the truth or if she let chantelle just take the blame.

I haven't liked Edward since his first appearance - he defended the habits of certain people to write immature and insulting things on patient forms, and (albeit without prior knowledge) dismissed Sacha's fundraising activity, which was actually for Rachel's sake. These are both things that instantly put him down in my mind, and while he has not as of yet been as bad as that again, he has also not been good enough to redeem himself.

Yes, I remember the incident when Mary-Claire tried to pin something on Chantelle. However, Rhys (Gareth David-Lloyd's character who later became Chantelle's boyfriend) wasn't fooled, and realised quickly that the mistake was actually Mary-Claire's. He pointed this out to Chantelle, who reprimanded Mary-Claire for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't liked Edward since his first appearance - he defended the habits of certain people to write immature and insulting things on patient forms, and (albeit without prior knowledge) dismissed Sacha's fundraising activity, which was actually for Rachel's sake. These are both things that instantly put him down in my mind, and while he has not as of yet been as bad as that again, he has also not been good enough to redeem himself.

Yes, I remember the incident when Mary-Claire tried to pin something on Chantelle. However, Rhys (Gareth David-Lloyd's character who later became Chantelle's boyfriend) wasn't fooled, and realised quickly that the mistake was actually Mary-Claire's. He pointed this out to Chantelle, who reprimanded Mary-Claire for it.

The more things that are bring pointed out about Edward the more I find myself disliking him!

That's right thanks, I can remember Chantelle finding the courage to tell Mary-Claire off. I think Mary-Claire has improved a lot more since then and I hope the character stays the way she is and does not turn back into the more sly bitchy out for herself girl. I don't mind her having traits of them, as long as she keeps her better personality too!
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,294
    Forum Member
    There is a full page interview with Tina Hobley in Inside Soap published today should anyone be interested.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    There is a full page interview with Tina Hobley in Inside Soap published today should anyone be interested.

Does it say anything about
    Chrissie and Michael???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes Collins
    She and Michael are considering leaving the Hospital together to start afresh. A patient comes in who has facial wounds inflicted by her boyfriend which makes her thing about Stuart and whether she is going for a similar type in Michael (which seems a tad unfair to him) and why she is doing this.

So my guess is that they lead us to believe that they will go together but then she ultimately decides to leave alone showing us that she is independent, strong, no longer needs a man to validate her, blah, blah, blah. Well that is how I'd write it anyway given the info I have learnt.

Tina thinks that Chrissie would have ended the marriage a lot sooner if she hadn't got ill and believes that Sacha just stayed because he felt sorry for Chrissie rather than anything else.

She is glad that Chrissie isn't being killed off as she is inspirational to a lot of women and therefore didn't deserve to die. Which does lead me to wonder if Victoria, Diane, Maddy, Penny and Tara weren't deemed inspirational to women and therefore did deserve to die? Also, each to their own but I'm afraid I don't (and never have) find anything remotely inspirational about Chrissie in fact she almost everything in a woman (and person) I dislike and want to avoid being but as I say, each to their own. The only thing I've ever found to admire is that she does appear to be quite hard working and clinically efficient.

She then also talks about how much she has changed in her 12 years on the show, how hard it would be re seeing her children if involved in heavy storylines and her leaving party.
  • Options
    Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been catching up with Holby as I'd not watched it properly for a few months, just been watching septembers episodes and can I just say WTF is with that new F1 Zosia? :confused: She's bloody awful from what I can see so far, no likeable qualities whatsoever. Also are we really meant to believe sweet, seemingly innocent and inexperienced Arthur who bumbles like an idiot over Chantelle, had sex with Zosia in the lab at the drop of a hat. Talk about changing a characters personality in a flash, come on its just totally ridiculous.

The Jac/Jonny baby stuff is brilliant though. :D

Edward seems interesting.

Also good to see Marie Claire as a regular.

But FFS do away with Zosia, what were they thinking? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I may be mistaken but I'm sure I just saw Mo snogging a bearded Ash from Casualty!!! :D
  • Options
    demfedemfe Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the (many problems), I have with Digby is that I remember how thoroughly horrible he was when his character was first introduced. Every time he does his bumbling 'who me?' act, I fully expect him to suddenly turn into something really nasty..
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    The deaf dad is rather a dish!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be mistaken but I'm sure I just saw Mo snogging a bearded Ash from Casualty!!! :D
    For about 2 seconds I thought the same, but he's too short to be the same actor (unless Mo's much taller than I thought!) :D plus he's better looking than Ash. ;)
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love Mr T!
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Love Mr T!

Me too - he's so cute :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    The deaf dad is rather a dish!

So is Mo's boyfriend.

He does look a lot like Ash but better looking I think.

Mr T is fab. Jonny seems to be more Jonny today. Perhaps it is only Jac and Bonnie's presence that causes the doppelganger to emerge.
  • Options
    batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrissie is not inspirational. She is and always has been a selfish cowbag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    Chrissie is not inspirational. She is and always has been a selfish cowbag.

Well she is inspirational if your inspirations are to become are marriage wrecking **** who whilst efficient at your job in turning up on time and being clinically good also constantly jump to (usually wrong and offensive) conclusions about your Patients and their Relatives and speak to everyone in a very snide and condescending manner and also treat your Husband like he is several floors beneath you, let alone rungs then yes, she is very inspirational.

Seriously, I think that there are women (and young girls) that probably admire her for being strong and going after what she wants but I personally find that rather a sad indictment of our Society and what many consider to be a good female role model.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Well she is inspirational if your inspirations are to become are marriage wrecking **** who whilst efficient at your job in turning up on time and being clinically good also constantly jump to (usually wrong and offensive) conclusions about your Patients and their Relatives and speak to everyone in a very snide and condescending manner and also treat your Husband like he is several floors beneath you, let alone rungs then yes, she is very inspirational.

Seriously, I think that there are women (and young girls) that probably admire her for being strong and going after what she wants but I personally find that rather a sad indictment of our Society and what many consider to be a good female role model.
    Not a fan then? :D:D Sorry your post made me giggle ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Not a fan then? :D:D Sorry your post made me giggle ;)

Not really no. Perhaps I have done too good a job of hiding it in the past?!?!

I hasten to add i'm quite a fan of the role she has played in the show, she has always been more of a love to hate figure for me than the likes of Jac, Sunil, Imelda, Vanessa, Stuart etc and I think Hobley plays her well. But Chrissie as a person? No, can not abide her. Not from her first episode - which I frequently rewatch to remind myself that she was vile from the off.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    Blimey! Chrissie doesn't waste time :eek:
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aww Digby!
This discussion has been closed.