Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    A
    Because there was a gap where we didn't see the regeneration so Moffat clearly wanted a twist in there.

Ah that makes sense.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    data0002 wrote: »
    OK good show but i am confused on something here, if JH wanted to burn Gallifrey (as they called it), wouldn't that make him the first doctor (not 9th). if as you have all been saying he turned into CE, then we are only on number 3, not 11 or 12th, if that is a case what happed the to first 8.

:confused:

The first 8 came before the Time War. Hurt came from McGann so how would he be number 1?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe he will the last Doctor either, which is why I don't understand the need to give us him as the 13th one.

Although if they wanted to bring us a Doctor from the past that we haven't seen before they would have to shoe horn him in.

I'm guessing Gallifrey will have something to do with the Doctor having more lives, so this was a way for them to bring Gallifrey back.
    Yes but what happened to them?!

Umm, I think they ended up coming to a peaceful agreement because the Doctor made them forget whether they were human or alien.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    I was :eek: when the 12th Doctor made a brief eyes only appearance and when Tom Baker showed up at the end

I really don't get the surprise. They are actors, who are not dead, so can appear in TV shows at will.
  • Options
    ncs1ncs1 Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote: »
    The point of the Time War is that it takes place everywhere and everywhen, which is why it threatens all of reality not just the Time Lords and the Daleks.

That's a bit far fetched. Ace didn't mention that when she & the Doctor were battling the Kandy Man in the Kandy Kitchen in 1988. Maybe it was something to do with the Pipe People, maybe they hid the entire Time War in a marzipan mix. Honestly, I just don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the scarf girl?

What is there to explain?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Whilst it was fun I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. I loved seeing the Zygons back but their plan in the story seemed abit glossed over at the end to focus on Gallifrey.

Tom Baker turning up was good but I'm confused what it added.

John Hurt - why not make his role Paul McGann as he "forgotten Doctor" and be done with it? Was there really a need to add a new Doctor?

I think the disappointment for me was that it was effectively a new Who story that could have been at any time in any series or another "Three Doctors" story not a way to incorporate 50 years. As a story it was fine though.

Galifrey etc was the main story though not the Zygons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Yes but what happened to them?!

They copied a bunch of people, a nuke was involved, they all forgot who was human or not and agreed to come up with a treaty... did you miss that bit?
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the TV show (not the mythos) why have they given us a new 9th Doctor?

Did they need to make Capaldi the 13th Doctor, couldn't they have just made him the 12th and had another one later?
    I think it was a rather pointless exercise in giving us another new Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, is very funny, reveals John Barrowman's secret, and is currently online here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is there to explain?

Her role in the whole thing... I think I must have blanked or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    :eek: Tenant was with Elizabeth I !!

He mentioned to Rose once (though don't remember now which show) and he he added and "believe me she was no....( obviously meaning virgin though he never finished the sentence." Anyone else remember which show it was? I believe they were running back into the TARDIS.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah that makes sense.

Also, forgot to add. It's been canon since Doctor 9 that the Doctor fought in the Time War in his past so Hurt being a future incarnation wouldn't have made much sense.
  • Options
    baldtonybaldtony Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    After tonight, I'm really really really pleased,

that some people who aren't me enjoyed the episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Her role in the whole thing... I think I must have blanked or something.

She didn't really have a significance to the plot, other than being copied by the Zygons and wearing a scarf that was similar to one of the Doctor's scarfs.
  • Options
    LightAtTheEndLightAtTheEnd Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved it. A glorious romp with so many fan nods it will take a few repeat viewings to take them all in. I had a huge smile on my face the whole episode. Bravo Moff, you pulled it off! :D

Busy preparing for our day at the DW Celebration in London tomorrow now, so will post more later.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I really don't get the surprise. They are actors, who are not dead, so can appear in TV shows at will.

may be its because we did not no that's why humans get surprise ,it may not surprise Vulcan's.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't really have a significance to the plot, other than being copied by the Zygons and wearing a scarf that was similar to one of the Doctor's scarfs.

Ah, thanks. I thought there was something more to her what with the scarf and everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Also, forgot to add. It's been canon since Doctor 9 that the Doctor fought in the Time War in his past so Hurt being a future incarnation wouldn't have made much sense.

Yes but weren't we always lead to believe it was Eccleston's Doctor that fought in the TIme war?
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    It could be very big, but incredibly empty.

Even if an infinite space is incredibly empty, it still contains an infinite amount of things.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it as an episode, I liked it as a special. But it didn't feel very anniversary ish until ten minutes before the end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Even if an infinite space is incredibly empty, it's still contains an infinite amount of things.

Nope. Space can be infinite but can also have a finite amount of things in it.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but weren't we always lead to believe it was Eccleston's Doctor that fought in the TIme war?

In rose he had only just regenerated
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see...

This is without doubt one of the most badly paced, confusing, illogical and inconsistent pieces of television that has ever given me such incredible pleasure to watch.

It was fantastic. When all is said and done, it really was the 11 Doctors in a way. They all appeared. So the rumors were kind of right!

The acting was incredible and David and Matt bounced off each other. It is a shame about Chris, but if he doesn't want to come back, his loss. It did perfectly well without him. John was also very good, though I was surprised about how David and Matt were with him. I thought they hated that regeneration?

Tom Baker's return made 0 sense, but who cares? It was beautiful.

Coal Hill School: Wonderful, and if Clara works there, does that mean it could be used in the future?

I suppose that's what defines Doctor Who, especially the classics. It's such a heap of trash which manages to be an absolute joy to watch.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    They copied a bunch of people, a nuke was involved, they all forgot who was human or not and agreed to come up with a treaty... did you miss that bit?

The girl was handed the inhaler thus working out who was who, did you miss that bit? she would have known she was Zygon and the treaty would have fallen apart. It should have been resolved, even if it was visited for a minute or so, but it was completely forgotten about, shoddy writing.