Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    But that would beg the question why after months of poorish episodes they have suddenly changed?
    Newman messed around with too many new series story producers. Sarah Beeson, who's work you are seeing now, joined in May. Its taken a while for her work to take off(September was when her ideas hit the screen) but what you are seeing now are her storylines.

However she too has been replaced now by Alison Davis(brought in under DTC shake up) who makes her debut Christmas week. Bit of a shame to lose Sarah but Alison has a rich CV.

all_night wrote: »
    Many on the Soap Forums simply refuse to accept this is Newman's work. Although there is a transition period, it seems over the past month DTC has been overseeing as said above. The main fact is unless we work there, which none of us do on here, then we simply have no idea.

There are people on the soap forums who have no idea how production teams are set up or how they work. Most of the stuff posted on there is fantasy.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    35.8% share for EastEnders - that's the best since...? Must be ages. :)

These are the shares EastEnders needs to be hitting more often to get back to where it was pre slump. This is a good sign.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@mediaguardian: Last Tango 6.3m/27.6%, Holby 4.8m/21%, Arsenal v Marseille 3.4m/14.8%, MasterChef: Profs 3.2m/14.1%, O/C Cleaners 2.2m/9.4% #tvratings"

Is that Last Tango's highest overnight rating/share to date? I'd like to see it exceed 7 million in the consolidated ratings again...

I hope I'm a Celebrity doesn't break it too much. It's one of the most unique Dramas on Television. Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi's subplot is quite nice viewing too ;)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    Is that Last Tango's highest overnight rating/share to date? I'd like to see it exceed 7 million in the consolidated ratings again...

I hope I'm a Celebrity doesn't break it too much. It's one of the most unique Dramas on Television. Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi's subplot is quite nice viewing too ;)

Not sure there is that much crossover between the 2 audiences so it shouldnt be down too much next week I dont think.
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure there is that much crossover between the 2 audiences so it shouldnt be down too much next week I dont think.

That seems right. So presumably Ripper Street failed against IAC because its demos, unlike those of Last Tango, are similar to those of its ITV opposition? And if that's true, why didn't the BBC spot that sooner and schedule RS somewhen else?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

The episode against I'm a Celeb last year got 5.51m, compared to 6.16m and 6.23m the episodes the week before and after it. An audience as big as IAC's will crossover with nearly everything in someway.
    Shevk wrote: »

Yes it is, just. 6.30m up 0.01m from last year's high of 6.29m. It was its highest share as well 27.6% compared to last year's high of 26.8%. It will be dented next week but should hopefully keep growing after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    centauri72 wrote: »
    That seems right. So presumably Ripper Street failed against IAC because its demos, unlike those of Last Tango, are similar to those of its ITV opposition? And if that's true, why didn't the BBC spot that sooner and schedule RS somewhen else?

I suppose to be fair that RS got a couple of weeks head start on IAC so they supposed it would hold up OK. But I really dont know what happened to RS - it averaged 6.71m on a Sunday night which many said it did not really suit - but then this year started to fall on Mondays even before IAC came along.

This year so far-
    Ep1 6.45m
    Ep2 5.48m
    Ep3 5.03m

It will be interesting to see if it picks up back around 5m when IAC finishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@mediaguardian: #dayofthedoctor cinema release takes $10.2m globally in 3 days. 2nd in US on monday night ($4.7m/320k tickets) after Hunger Games"

Come on! That's impressive right?
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad EE is doing well now it has been great recently let's hope it can continue plus that's probably one if it's highest BBC three repeats it's had in a long time.

It's also good to see Last Tango rise as that really is a great drama.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "@mediaguardian: #dayofthedoctor cinema release takes $10.2m globally in 3 days. 2nd in US on monday night ($4.7m/320k tickets) after Hunger Games"

One word WOW.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week's Last Tango in Halifax has consolidated to 7.42m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Last week's Last Tango in Halifax has consolidated to 7.42m.

That's excellent! The power of timeshift!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Apparently the tickets were quite expensive so they did not have to get as many bums on seats but for a single showing it looks pretty impressive to me. I wonder what cut the BBC get?
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's excellent! The power of timeshift!

Last year's consolidated ratings: 7.03m; 6.78m; 7.51m; 7.33m; 7.49m; 7.48m.

So episode 1 and 2 will be both well up this year.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Apparently the tickets were quite expensive so they did not have to get as many bums on seats but for a single showing it looks pretty impressive to me. I wonder what cut the BBC get?

I wonder if this could be the start of a new trend. Prior to TV, i'm sure i heard they used to show news reels and other programmes in cinemas.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member

I wonder why it never had any re investment in its previous life? Star Wars was huge back then but "Doctor Who" was starved money, production teams, new producers, yet it makes commercial sense.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    "Show Me The Telly" is fairly embarrassing telly.
    Anything that associates itself with Vanessa Feltz makes for embarrasing telly.
    So ITV drop an episode of Im A Celeb which rates at 10 million for some Football that rates at 3.4 million.

Move the Football to ITV 2/3/4.
    Champions League matchdays don't rate well because the group stage format is fairly predictable.

Plus I doubt they are overly concerned with how the Arsenal game fared.
    So glad EE is doing well now it has been great recently let's hope it can continue plus that's probably one if it's highest BBC three repeats it's had in a long time.
    It's got the bit between its teeth now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    I wonder if this could be the start of a new trend. Prior to TV, i'm sure i heard they used to show news reels and other programmes in cinemas.

Maybe a third of that? Well whatever they did make should be pumped straight back into Doctor Who, through BBC Worldwide
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    Interesting that "Last Tango in Halifax" was created by a writer who has created so much of her work on itv. I wonder why this series was never offered to itv.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Cracking for Eastenders, the new producer has done a great job in kicking the show up the arse so quickly. Even the BBC3 repeat did very well for recent standards.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    From Yog101 in the Dr Who thread.

The figures so far:

Live: 7.904m
    Live + VOSDAL: 10.178m
    +1 Day: 11.800m
    +2 Days: 12.179m
    +3 Days: 12.311m

Looks like it'll get 12.5 or more in the officials.
    I think that means it's now the most timeshifted episode of TV ever in this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Last year's consolidated ratings: 7.03m; 6.78m; 7.51m; 7.33m; 7.49m; 7.48m.

So episode 1 and 2 will be both well up this year.

And didn't series 1 episode 1 have a higher overnight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody know what 'Refugees of the Lost Rainforest' got on BBC Four last night at 8pm?
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Interesting that "Last Tango in Halifax" was created by a writer who has created so much of her work on itv. I wonder why this series was never offered to itv.

I read somewhere (The Sun, I think) this week that the producer of Tango has said that the series was offered to itv and they turned it down because they didn't want to do a drama about old people.

I can believe this because, as you say, most of sally Wainwright's work has been for ITV.

ITV's loss is most definitely BBC1's gain.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@overnightstv #showmethetelly watched by 1.1m/11.1% vs BBC1 #paulhollywood #piesandpuds with 1.3m/13.9%"

Show Me The Telly got 1.4m on Monday, so it's showing a steep drop already.

Meanwhile The Wright Stuff (with Madeley in the chair) had 300,000.
This discussion has been closed.