Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to add a viewport to fix it on tablets, a quick play around in Adobe Edge Inspect suggests this should work
    <meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=0.8, user-scalable=yes">

This is for the DS devs by the way not something the end user can do.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's even worse on an ipad.

:mad:

That's ironic - I assumed these changes must have been aimed at tablet users! (Many websites seem to have "iPad-ised" themselves recently, and are much more difficult to use as a result.)

Looking at the main DS site, not that I use it, if you so much as move the mouse across the top navigation bar (such as you might do if you'd just switched tabs for example) you immediately get a menu obscuring half the screen - great usability there :confused:
  • Options
    NeppyNeppy Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I doubt Digital Spy will make any changes to this design.
    Kargo wrote: »
    I've just made my own custom theme for the forums using the browser extension Stylebot.

http://i.imgur.com/l9PA7CQ.png

That looks a lot better I'd be fine with that design over this.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used it 5 minutes and I already have a headache from the contrast between the too bright header and too dull forum theme.

Yep, same here. It's "strobing" a little too much for me. So much so I'm getting all the eye strain symptoms I used to get from screen flicker.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is vBulletin, right? Or based on vBulletin?

TIP: You have set the thread width/postbit width to a set number of pixels. That results in some users having acres of blank space (like me) and others on lower resolutions having parts of the thread cut off. Instead of setting the table to a set pixel size, set it to a % of the screen, e.g. 90%. You can do that in vB, we've been doing it plenty on our forums to ensure that all users have optimum use of space.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the colours/style but there is far too much padding and filler.

The main page is 95% wasted space. The following is on 1920x1200:

http://picpaste.com/Untitled-1-eGVEIREK.jpg
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tweaked the design myself using the browser extension Stylebot which should now override the default theme when I visit the forums on my PC.

10 out of 10 for me.

I think the actual design is perfectly fine, however the colours are a no-no.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    If everyone posts like
    this at least we will
    be able to read posts
    until it's fixed lol
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks terrible so far, I'm hoping it's not finished yet.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tweaked the design myself using the browser extension Stylebot which should now override the default theme when I visit the forums on my PC.

Yes- Fit for purpose. This is what we need. Can anyone do this?
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Am in agreement with a lot of other posters, one thing i'd like to add this two posts per screen (on laptop) will be a total nightmare when posting "live" whilst following tv programmes etc the threads move really quickly in those situations and seeing only two posts at a time will make it ever so clunky
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Is anyone else unable to see all the text on posts now?

On chrome and with 1024x768 I have this problem and there is no scroll bar at the bottom of the browser to at least move the page!?

See what I mean-

http://i40.tinypic.com/116rlme.jpg

Yes, it's the same on
    my computer too. No
    scrollbar at the bottom
    of the screen. It's like
    reading the forum whilst
    wearing restraints.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its terrible! At least give it some colour. And the typing font is also terrible btw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed the blank spaces either side of the posts were for adverts. I have an adblocker so can't see them anyway
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    I can only
    read half
    of each post
    which means
    everyone is
    going to have
    to post like
    this.

Me too:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I like it...
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that's perfect - is stylebot available on firefox?

Yep, that's better.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have trouble reading text written on paper too? Black text on a white background isn't generally considered difficult to read...

It's not black text though, it's grey. The contrast just isn't strong enough for many people, especially with the font being so slender.

I have to say, my eyes are hurting a bit now; I've been reading for about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how anyone thought this design was fit to roll out. All this grey is so harsh on the eyes because it's nade everything difficult to read, and as a whole the design is nowhere near as user friendly as it was before. What they were thinking I have no idea. Change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing.

Please admit this was a big mistake and switch it back, DS. I fear you will lose a lot of posters if you don't. :(
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not nice on the eyes!
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    I assumed the blank spaces either side of the posts were for adverts. I have an adblocker so can't see them anyway

They're not - just blank.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Yes, this is what I see to.

And have you tried quoting someone, the message/reply box is now too small that it can be difficult to properly read and highlight any parts of someone's post you want to draw attention too.

Still, I guess (I hope) it is still a work in progress.

Hmm, see what you mean.

I'd already zoomed in when posting and, with the page sized to full-width, it's like typing with lego bricks. :o

*EDIT*

Suppose I should say, to be fair I kinda like the type face and the clean look of the forums.
    It's not a disaster. I just lacks polish.
    An awful lot of polish.

also, I'm not going to bother fixing typing errors for the moment so if my posts sart tloooooooooooookabi twrdt's bECAus the input box is plyngup.
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF IT AINT BROKE ......

DONT

FIX

IT.................

YOU HAVE SUCCESFULLY SOLD OUT LIKE YOUTUBE/ GOOGLE / HOTMAIL.

ALL CONSTANTLY CHANGING PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE DESIGN THAT EVERYONE LIKES TO SOMETHING

WITH

SO

MUCH

SPACE

ITS USER UNFRIENDLY

my EYES ......MY EYES.....
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    HORRIBLE layout. Naff grey on grey on grey, hugely spaced out lists . Please offer some config. without haveing to run our own fiddles over it!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Above forum I see four threads on this 19" monitor without scrolling...

Looks naff on Firefox, IE, Chrome, Android phone and tablet. Nice one.

Oh yes being a fixed width it is awful on narrow device screens or if you don't want to run it full screen on something.

On this monitor if I chose to zoom in or out Firefox on account of the layout it still uses the fixed width so wastes over 50% of this sreen width.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the right hand side of the screen is cut off and there no sideways scroll bar

could it shifted to the left by an inch or two ?

The black bits at the top where it says 'Private Messages' are impossible to read........
This discussion has been closed.