Options

The British media ought to be ashamed of itself tonight

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have the army mobilised building flood defences in parts of Eastern england, people being evacuated, lives and homes at serious risk. This is news, happening now, it matters to people. There are many days ahead during which we can reflect on a fine statesman such as NM, but the BBC seem to forget they are a public service broadcaster, so serve the public.

That could be why we have heard nothing but the storm all day , Mandela news came later and the BBC have the storm as the main story on UK News.

Members of my family have been evacuated , they are all in good spirits and are not moaning about what is on the news, most are actually having a good moan about flood defences etc in my brothers words about his situation "why did I buy a bloody house here Dad told me it was a mistake " , he is one of many that occupies a house on what was and should be flood plain until the bloody councils sold it off to build on.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just wait till the Queen pops her cloggs.

Then I hope that they will offer alternative programming via the RED Button !. Not everyone will want to see constant programming on the death of a parasite, republican license fee payers have as much right to watch programming that isn't royal related when that happens. Yes it will be sad when she snuffs, but those who couldn't give a flying rats about royalty, like myself will end up watching blue-rays for a few days as more than likely you would even have the top 10 songs that the queen sang too whilst in the shower, or some bollox like that. I just hope that she doesn't snuff during the world cup as I will happily turn to illegal internet streams to watch any match taken off for royal coverage.

Rant over

Yes I am sorry that Nelson Mandela has passed away as he is a legend for the things he has done, but to avoid giving programming on events that are effecting the lives of non famous people. We have so many channels & it is sickening that they would all rather show the same thing, when there are other important issues going on.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    In your anger, don't forget Sky and ITV news.

Don't spoil peoples chance to take part in the new national past time of complaining when they can and even more if they can include the BBC.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    That could be why we have heard nothing but the storm all day

Even then they wasn't telling us anything new just the same thing over and over

Even the local internet news hasn't had any updates for hours as right now there is nothing really to tell us only thing I have to wait for right now is either a power cut or a knock at the door/phone call telling us to go
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't spoil peoples chance to take part in the new national past time of complaining when they can and even more if they can include the BBC.

Looking forward to the Daily Mail complaining about the excessive BBC coverage at the same time that they publish a 48 page souvenir supplement.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted post
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you complaining about it?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    well the BBC has finally mentioned the storm, but is only showing old footage.

Well it's gone midnight and it's dark, did you expect a live roadshow with floodlights and helicopters?
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News coverage was ridiculous, should've spent first 10 mins covering Mandela, then gone onto the rest of the news, before having endless Mandela coverage for those who wanted to watch it after the main news programme.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,449
    Forum Member
    The people affected by the storms don't need to hear about it on the news. They need emergency services to help them. They don't need Huw Edwards talking about it. They need direct help from the proper agencies and organisations.

It's rather absurd but predictable that people are whining about coverage on the news of such a prominent figure on the day he died (thus logically the day he'll get the most coverage).

For those who are whining about it. Give it a few days. I'm sure you'll cope.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite appalled therefore that the UK news channels have decided to provide us with wall to wall coverage of this story and totally ignore the storms battering out Coast right now. People are being evacuated from their homes, it's the worst storm for sixty odd years and there is likely to be a great deal of devastation a few weeks before Christmas. Many people will be watching for updates, either for themselves or family.
    Quite....

I was seriously pissed off tonight when I put the "news" on for the sole purpose of getting updates on the weather situation and potential flooding. Many thousands of people in OUR country have friends and family on the coast and want to know.

Instead we are treated to the same few platitudes and mind numbing interviews on a loop for two solid hours only to be followed by a "special" program... all that could easily have been covered in half hour at most FFS.

I'm going now as it doesn't do to post while I'm as hacked off as I am right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people affected by the storms don't need to hear about it on the news. They need emergency services to help them. They don't need Huw Edwards talking about it. They need direct help from the proper agencies and organisations.

It's rather absurd but predictable that people are whining about coverage on the news of such a prominent figure on the day he died (thus logically the day he'll get the most coverage).

For those who are whining about it. Give it a few days. I'm sure you'll cope.

You could say that about any situation "those affected just need the emergency services, and the rest of us don't need to know", but 'letting people know' is kinda the point of the news, isn't it? The news could've even just spent a quick 5 mins letting folk know what's happening, are the trains likley to run tomorrow, this affects a lot of people.
    Considering Mandela is such a prominent figure, showing a special programme after the news would've been more appropriate surley?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times does the BBC need to tell us that "people are out dancing in the streets in the early hours of the morning" - they are just repeating the same things now on an almost 5 minute loop. Surely we can have ten minutes about what's going in the UK on the BBC UK news channel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could say that about any situation "those affected just need the emergency services, and the rest of us don't need to know", but 'letting people know' is kinda the point of the news, isn't it?

And they are doing that. Storm coverage is merely a few inches below the Mandela story on the BBC website. If you really need updates on the storm damage and how it's affecting people, one only needs to scroll down the webpage. On the BBC text service, the storm is the second story down. Is it really that difficult to get information on it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also think it's best the media people have gone all they do is get in the way

Earlier there was people trying to fill up sand bags (actually the place they were filling them up is just around the corner from me) and you had media people shoving a camera in their face asking them how they were feeling that they and their family may be homeless by end of the night you could see the people just wanted to get on with it and didn't have time for that crap.

If you were in a rescue centre would you really want a camera in your face?

It's ok for them they can ask people here how they feel about their homes and everything they own been ruined maybe made homeless and spending god knows how long on a camp bed in a rescue centre then go back to their nice dry warm home or hotel for the night

Yes I am worried 9000 people have been moved around my area alone I live so close to the key that if I walked out of my door right now I could be touching a ship in under a minute but we know what is going off here and don't need no damned news crew getting in out way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they are doing that. Storm coverage is merely a few inches below the Mandela story on the BBC website. If you really need updates on the storm damage and how it's affecting people, one only needs to scroll down the webpage. On the BBC text service, the storm is the second story down. Is it really that difficult to get information on it?

Surely it's the job of the news to cover more than one story, especially as the UK is going through one of the worse storms, a lot of pensioners rely on tv for news as they don't have internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely it's the job of the news to cover more than one story, especially as the UK is going through one of the worse storms, a lot of pensioners rely on tv for news as they don't have internet.

If pensioners are up at 2am looking for updates on the storm, again text services are available on their TV's. At this point, all they need to know is that emergency services are dealing with the situation. The last thing they need are TV cameras getting in the way and hindering their efforts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If pensioners are up at 2am looking for updates on the storm, again text services are available on their TV's. At this point, all they need to know is that emergency services are dealing with the situation. The last thing they need are TV cameras getting in the way and hindering their efforts.

There was nothing on the storms on 10 o clock news.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nothing really more to say that had not already been said even local internet news has been slow since before 10 as there was just no updates to give and I am checking

If anything important happened they would cover it but as for now all they would do is keep going over the same thing and getting in the way
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The death of Nelson Mandela was always going to be a massive world-wide news story, what do you expect our media to do ? I'm sure there are regular updates on the radio and rolling news channels that are covering the storm ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hardly a surprise given that around that time the news of Mandela's death was just breaking. Rest assured, if any major developments occur regarding the storm, I'm sure pensioners will hear about it in the morning.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate that the death Mandela is huge story, but please let's get this in perspective. He was a very elderly man, one who has been poor health for years. His death is very sad but not at all unexpected,

I'm quite appalled therefore that the UK news channels have decided to provide us with wall to wall coverage of this story and totally ignore the storms battering out Coast right now. People are being evacuated from their homes, it's the worst storm for sixty odd years and there is likely to be a great deal of devastation a few weeks before Christmas. Many people will be watching for updates, either for themselves or family.

I've had to switch the news channels off. It's made really angry for some strange reason, by all means report on Mandela's death but god don't ignore what's happening here right now.

The main national news channels can only report general items about the storm damage...they cannot give specific local advice to many different areas with different needs and problems. Local radio and TV stations are the ones that can give specific advice to residents in consultation with the police and fire service, and that information will be tailored to local needs. Those affected can also get much precise information from the internet. This is what people affected need not a general countywide overview.

What can SKY or BBC main news do or say apart from tell people there are storm warnings throughout the country and have reporters standing in the rain talking to the locals affected. They are reporting 'after the event' as such and providing viewers with pictures of the damage.....which is of no help whatsoever to those affected!

As for Mandela, he is a man of huge importance in human history and will be discussed and remembered in hundreds of years to come. Like him or loathe him ,as one man, his influence upon the world has been enormous and this is reflected in the media coverage
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,547
    Forum Member
    What can SKY or BBC main news do or say apart from tell people there are storm warnings throughout the country and have reporters standing in the rain talking to the locals affected.

They can and should warn people about the impending North Sea flood tide and red flood warnings, which had not yet reached East Anglia and the Thames Estuary - the very same areas where hundreds were killed in a similarly high surge in 1953. That's what they can - and should - do. But no, not even a mention - on three channels all reporting historic footage on Mandela and comment from overseas and politicians. Very bad form to ignore the still developing flood situation, up to date news of which (the warnings) could potentially have saved lives. Flooding high tides were coming thick and fast between 10 and midnight and people right down the East Coast needed to know how high, where the warnings were for, etc.!

One channel on Mandela would have been well deserved - perhaps even two for a while - but with a ticker referring interested viewers to a third channel for floods information. I fully agree with this DS thread title: BBC and even Sky News ballsed up, not by reporting heavily on Mandela but in totally dropping a developing and serious flood situation at an important time of the evening.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    They can and should warn people about the impending North Sea flood tide and red flood warnings, which had not yet reached East Anglia and the Thames Estuary - the very same areas where hundreds were killed in a similarly high surge in 1953. That's what they can - and should - do. But no, not even a mention - on three channels all reporting historic footage on Mandela and comment from overseas and politicians. Very bad form to ignore the still developing flood situation, up to date news of which (the warnings) could potentially have saved lives. Flooding high tides were coming thick and fast between 10 and midnight and people right down the East Coast needed to know how high, where the warnings were for, etc.!

One channel on Mandela would have been well deserved - perhaps even two for a while - but with a ticker referring interested viewers to a third channel for floods information. I fully agree with this DS thread title.

A five minute news piece would have been sufficient, the on comming storm is a huge story and the possible issues arising from it should be covered as the lead story.

Frankly as someone who visited SA before and after apartheid I can honestly say the nation is far more dangerous now that it was it the decades before the dismantling of apartheid, don't believe for a minute I am condoning apartheid as I find it abhorrent but the ANC have not been good for SA.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the media should at least give a brief update every so often in what is an ongoing situation. I have seen on twitter that my town is flooded and I'm nowhere near the East coast and we have had no storm here.
    So checking the local forecast as suggested by some people would not of had any benefit at all.
    Not sure how bad it is but the Red Cross have just been drafted in to help.