Options

Corrie axe Dennis Tanner

Comments

• Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! I like Dennis!

I like Dennis, too! AND I want him to stay!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Dennis. He's underused, but a nice character to have around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it beyond the realms of possibility it was Philip's decision to leave? He may want to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Is it beyond the realms of possibility it was Philip's decision to leave? He may want to.

He was axed:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/coronation-streets-philip-lowrie-sacked-2928398
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can he please kill off Rita before he goes?
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Coronation Street in 2003, but I occasionally tune in every now and then to see what's going on.

There aren't many good things about the soap these days, but Dennis is definitely one of them.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has been under used, but the way Corrie has been going for the last few months nothing surprises me.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis's return has been a massive wasted opportunity. Instead of exploring the breakdown that led to him living on the streets, the writers just did the usual quick fix and turned him into a comedy character.

Speaking of quick fixes, I expect Nick Tilsley's brain damage will be miraculously cured by Easter. Roll on the comedy storyline with Nick and Leanne competing against Steve and Michelle for the title of "Weatherfield Licencee of the Year 2014" or some such drivel.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita never suited the surname Tanner anyway.. Her previous were what she's best known for
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KBambi wrote: »

Very disappointed with this move. I know he isn't a massive character but he plays a lovely supporting role, there is so much more that they could have done with his character.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    I like Dennis. >:(>:(

So do I. I think it is a shame he is being axed. Why don't they axe someone else? Tracy for instance. I cannot stand her!
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    In deep shock tonight. I have seen him in many 1960s episodes and well he is all right. But it was great to see him back and I cannot see why they would wish to sack him now.:o
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corriander wrote: »
    In deep shock tonight. I have seen him in many 1960s episodes and well he is all right. But it was great to see him back and I cannot see why they would wish to sack him now.:o

Know how you feel. It's just so damn pathetic. Can't believe what a waste it's all been - think of the stories the writers could've given him but chose not to because they couldn't actually be arsed.

Yeah, sure, the door's being "left open" - but you can bet we'll never see him again once he leaves.

I can only imagine bloody Blackburn was all too keen to get rid of yet another older character. That makes three older characters gone/going by my count. It's no secret that the older cast on Emmerdale took a back seat when he joined and made it all modern and "urbane". The plonker.

So, who's next? Emily?
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a blooming waste.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't ever get rid of Emily, as if Ken doesn't come back there's no one from the 60s, is there (bar Rita for a single episode), it would be awful for the history of the show! I hope he doesn't touch anyone from pre 90s now.
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis is briliant! Stuart Blackheart or whatever your name is, you are a DISGRACE!!

Go away and leave our beloved characters alone! You utter fool!
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    *Cadhla* wrote: »
    Dennis is briliant! Stuart Blackheart or whatever your name is, you are a DISGRACE!!

Go away and leave our beloved characters alone! You utter fool!

Well said!
    I thought it would be bad news for Corrie when I heard he was leaving Emmerdale!
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Well said!
    I thought it would be bad news for Corrie when I heard he was leaving Emmerdale!

Thank you, Val, and you were right! This man is making me not want to watch Coronation Street, which has been my favourite programme for thirty years and more!

He is awful.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(:(:(
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Dennis is like a real person, or maybe that's the issue?:(
    Crap decision by a crappy producer, but entirely predictable.

Don't think he'd be so hasty to sack some of the younger characters even though some of them bring very little to the show indeed. What's that about?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I thought the whole point of bringing Dennis back was so they could re-introduce the Tanners, and bring in a sort of new Elsie.

Why they married him off to Rita, God knows. To make her a Tanner? Why? It would've been interesting if she was about 30 years younger, (remembering her sometimes cool relationship with Elsie over Len, in the 70's) but making a 70+ year old woman another Tanner ... I never got the point!
    And it makes even less point now!

And I still call her Rita Fairlough, anyway! lol
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of bringing Dennis back was so they could re-introduce the Tanners, and bring in a sort of new Elsie.

Why they married him off to Rita, God knows. To make her a Tanner? Why? It would've been interesting if she was about 30 years younger, (remembering her sometimes cool relationship with Elsie over Len, in the 70's) but making a 70+ year old woman another Tanner ... I never got the point!
    And it makes even less point now!

And I still call her Rita Fairlough, anyway! lol

I do too. I never got used to Sullivan. :D

I had high hopes of Dennis coming back and bringing some great references to Elsie, who was one of the most iconic women in the soap's history, if not THE most iconic. I'm surprised there wasn't more interaction with Gail to be honest, as it was Elsie who gave her a home and she was very close to her. It would have been great if a secret daughter suddenly appeared who was a deadringer for Elsie, just get the casting right.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do too, but they haven't used him very well. Making him a lollipop man and married to Rita wasn't the best use of the old rogue.

I think nice characters are important but there should have been more than one side to him. I like his spark with Rita, I think they could have had him as a sweeties with Rita, he has been written one dimensional, there has to be more.

I have wondered if Gloria will have anything to do with exit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Corrie has lost its way, the storylines aren't cohesive or joined up, several characters are just treading water wasting time until their contracts are expired, there is no purpose for them being there. None of them have a real job, none of them look after their kids. The whole thing is just a collection of isolated scenes, that contradict each other, the only connection being that scene stealing hack, Tina, who seems to pop up in everyone's business or their bed.