Options

Big Brother Australia 2013

Comments

• Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,111
    Forum Member
    Probably best not to debate the 'they are not white' point.

Though I will say on two points - even today I've seen someone on the forum say they liked Gina until the Hazel thing. It seems to be a common thing.
    Plus Deana was OTT in mocking Luke S. I mean she was getting drunk and shouting 'Charlie' at him as he walked by. Since nothing really happens in the last week or so, it stuck out big time as being rather unreasonable. It gave those that already loathed her plenty of ammunition and had an influence over those who were still undecided on who to win.

Though it's just the usual BB audience hypocrisy of do as I say and not as I do. Viewers were allowed to slag off Hazel, but Gina wasn't allowed to go too far. Same with Deana making fun of Luke S.
    Plus, other examples such as Freddie mocking Lisa, which turned people against him. Despite Lisa remaining hugely unpopular.
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, other examples such as Freddie mocking Lisa, which turned people against him. Despite Lisa remaining hugely unpopular.
    This totally! I could not stand Freddie after that. It showed his whole "posh" act was just that an act.

I still don't agree with the rest but that I agree totally! :D
  • Options
    PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teflon Don wrote: »
    Ben and Tim would have no chance of winning the UK version. I doubt the British public would take to Tim saying he will be in the final 2(said he and Ben would be the last two standing in the diary room) . Wolfy said she wasn't going to be evicted and she got shit for it. Also all the shit stirring he was doing would have made him hated. Getting information from one group then telling it to the other group. Sophie from last season was getting criticised for her shit stirring. Ben from the year before was probably a bigger bitch then anyone from any season of big brother uk. He would have been disliked more then Grace. Yet he won the Australian version. I don't like nice boring people winning. But give me them over unpleasant people.

I don't know. Considering how many of us here actually loved Tim, I'd say he would have a big following in the UK show. Though the trouble with our version is that contestants are still largely disliked if they admit to having a game plan and/or are there to play the game. That would have been Tim's downfall in our version. Someone like Tim would be a breath of fresh air to our old and often boring show now. But wouldn't be appreciated in his entirety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one been following their twitter and Instagram accounts? :o

Just saw that Drew & Mikkayla have posed for pictures with Katie Price. Wonder if she has the same reputation over there as she does here? :D
  • Options
    HalkiHalki Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkminxy wrote: »
    I don't know. Considering how many of us here actually loved Tim, I'd say he would have a big following in the UK show. Though the trouble with our version is that contestants are still largely disliked if they admit to having a game plan and/or are there to play the game. That would have been Tim's downfall in our version. Someone like Tim would be a breath of fresh air to our old and often boring show now. But wouldn't be appreciated in his entirety.

I think he would have won here too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think that Tim would win BBUK too.

The BBUK audience seem willing to accept a gameplayer if it's done in a tongue-in-cheek, entertaining 'bad boy' kind of way. Victor built alot of momentum in BB5, then Aaron in BB12, and possibly Dexter in BB14.
    Though those 3 did end up taking it all too serious or getting involved in petty grudges, but they were on the right track initially. Aaron won at least.

Fortunately I think Tim is the archetype of a housemate playing the game in a tongue-in-cheek, entertaining 'bad boy' kind of way and could have built up one hell of a fanbase during his run but also had the personality to attract the more typical voters. As he did in BBAus.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to think that Tim would win BBUK too.

The BBUK audience seem willing to accept a gameplayer if it's done in a tongue-in-cheek, entertaining 'bad boy' kind of way. Victor built alot of momentum in BB5, then Aaron in BB12, and possibly Dexter in BB14.
    Though those 3 did end up taking it all too serious or getting involved in petty grudges, but they were on the right track initially. Aaron won at least.

Fortunately I think Tim is the archetype of a housemate playing the game in a tongue-in-cheek, entertaining 'bad boy' kind of way and could have built up one hell of a fanbase during his run but also had the personality to attract the more typical voters. As he did in BBAus.

But the thing is, Tim was arrogant. He said that he would be surprised if the public didn't put him through. Wolfy said something very similar during our latest series, and she was highly criticised for it. In my eyes, Tim should be no different. I don't think that would have gone down well with the British viewers at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    But the thing is, Tim was arrogant. He said that he would be surprised if the public didn't put him through. Wolfy said something very similar during our latest series, and she was highly criticised for it. In my eyes, Tim should be no different. I don't think that would have gone down well with the British viewers at all.

That was one comment he made a couple of times, but then there were other times when he said he might be going home and felt vulnerable.
    Victor made a couple of comments like that in BB5 but no-one seemed to notice or hold it against him. They were just like 'that's Victor for you, he's hilarious'
    Wolfy did it the wrong way by being an emotional wreck and alienating the audience with her personality.

Tahan said stuff like that too, that she can beat certain people ect.
    Obviously both Tim and Tahan didn't think that would reflect badly on them to a BBAus audience, so if they were on BBUK then maybe they would not be so upfront about it, knowing that it might reflect badly on them. That's what a true gameplayer would do.
    Of course this is getting a bit too 'what if' but they are from the other side of the world. lol
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,897
    Forum Member
    Halki wrote: »
    I think he would have won here too. :D
    I'm hoping he'll be in the UK house next year- possibly for his fake birthday too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I'm hoping he'll be in the UK house next year- possibly for his fake birthday too :)

That would be fantastic!! :D
  • Options
    HalkiHalki Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »

Oh that would be brilliant. I would love him in our house.

His fake birthday, and putting himself up for eviction were two of

the series highlights for me. :cool:

I wish we could import him. :D
  • Options
    sammyvansammyvan Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask any long time BBAU watcher a few questions?
    Have recently watched 2005 and 2006. I started 2007 but found it I was hating the housemates, the interference [Hayley and Andrew - Billy coming in etc] so stopped watching. I skipped to 2008 and found a really strange show - almost as contrived as our BBUK has become!
    What I would like some long-time BBAU watcher to tell me, if anyone has the time, is...
    Why did Gretal no longer present after 2007?
    What made the producers stop BB after 2008?
    Is 2008 worth watching?
    Should I give 2007 another try - or was it as bad as I thought? I got up to Daily show 22.
    Would be grateful if anyone knows the answers..?
  • Options
    kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    sammyvan wrote: »
    Have recently watched 2005 and 2006. I started 2007 but found it I was hating the housemates, the interference [Hayley and Andrew - Billy coming in etc] so stopped watching. I skipped to 2008 and found a really strange show - almost as contrived as our BBUK has become!
    What I would like some long-time BBAU watcher to tell me, if anyone has the time, is...

After, or even before, the turkey slap incident of 2006, the entire Aussie BB franchise was going to/gone to the dogs.
    Utter crap. Full of ********s, and sluts.
    They lost the original producer, the show was shit. Gretel left whilst ahead.
    Interestingly,it is said that she has quite a bit of input production wise with 9's version. she appears on a 9 morning show as a regular.

Ratings. It was shit. 10 had other shows to flog. Now they have nothing and even the ABC/SBS national broadcaster with government funding beats 10 ratings

Is 2008 worth watching?
    Nope

Should I give 2007 another try - or was it as bad as I thought? I got up to Daily show 22.
    Nope, it's shit

Unless your fond of fake tits, bimbos, himbos forget the latter series.

The best of OzBB is when Peter Abbott original producer and sometimes BB deep voice was in charge.
    I think that goes up to 2005??
    Best series 1,3,5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kxk wrote: »
    The best of OzBB is when Peter Abbott original producer and sometimes BB deep voice was in charge.
    I think that goes up to 2005??
    Best series 1,3,5

Many thanks for your in-depth reply and advice.
    Good to know I am not the only one who thought 2007 was dire! I will take a chance on the earlier series - until CBB starts here.
    Must say though, I did enjoy watching Camilla
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There have now been 2 series of Aussie Amazing Race, channel 7, watch that rather than, the crap latter BB.
    Camilla is a bitch in real life, and the creep who beat her is vile, saw him on a tram 2 weeks ago.

And if your finding our RTV fun, check out House Rules and My Kitchen Rules, both are funny.
    I think, Go Back Where You Came From, is the best serious RTV ever made, just won an Emmy. Racists are taken on the "ride" refugees take to escape wars.
    Epic.
    2nd series made; a politician is totally shamed in Afghanistan, when he meets a refugee he sent back, and they speak of his dead friends sent back and killed - that is THE most perfect piece of TV I have ever seen. Arsehole Peter Reith.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with any BB without live stream how Tim would do would depend on the editing.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kxk wrote: »
    There have now been 2 series of Aussie Amazing Race, channel 7, watch that rather than, the crap latter BB.
    Camilla is a bitch in real life, and the creep who beat her is vile, saw him on a tram 2 weeks ago.

And if your finding our RTV fun, check out House Rules and My Kitchen Rules, both are funny.
    I think, Go Back Where You Came From, is the best serious RTV ever made, just won an Emmy. Racists are taken on the "ride" refugees take to escape wars.
    Epic.
    2nd series made; a politician is totally shamed in Afghanistan, when he meets a refugee he sent back, and they speak of his dead friends sent back and killed - that is THE most perfect piece of TV I have ever seen. Arsehole Peter Reith.

The Amazing Race is great but they didn't even bother doing it this year, and BB still has some interest in some versions. Non-competitve reality shows I can often (if not always) find boring, and I have very little interest in food or property shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    The Amazing Race is great but they didn't even bother doing it this year, and BB still has some interest in some versions. Non-competitve reality shows I can often (if not always) find boring, and I have very little interest in food or property shows.

Starry
    Neither MKR nor House Rules are about food or renos, they are about the teams - and they are funny.
    I cannot stand the Block. But House Rules is totally different.

And the biggest difference between 7 and all the others, I appreciate they don't spend half the show shoving 7 celebs,hosts,experts, dogsbodies, and anyone else they can down your throat. Most of 7's RTV is better for not having a host, or tiny bits only of a host.
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the 2012 series so I just started watching that - despite knowing the top 3! I've got up to the episode after the first nominations although I know Charne is the victim :p I love Layla so far, she's definitely my fave along with Michael. Bradley is annoying me in the same way as Ben from the latest series - very needy. I'd rank the housemates:

01 Layla
    02 Michael
    03 Angie
    04 Sarah
    05 Benjamin
    06 Estelle
    07 Josh
    08 George
    09 Ryan
    10 Stacey
    11 Charne
    12 Ray
    13 Zoe
    14 Bradley

A lot of the boys have made little to no impression on me so far, but that the case for a long time with Matthew and Caleb, as well as Rohan in 2013. Ed was a bit bland for the most part too. I would've liked to see Charne settle in more, she was a bit irritating and weird but I think it was because she was uncomfortable - she was an interesting character.

Idk where else to put this, didn't think it needed a new thread and thought maybe this could bring up some discussion! No spoilers please, I just know the top 3 and that Charne was first out but I'm still gonna watch through it :p
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sammyvan wrote: »
    Is 2008 worth watching?

Sorry for the late reply. I loved BB01 (2001) the most as the housemates were totally unaware of how the program was being received. They weren't even sure if it was popular at all. Therefore their reactions were the most genuine. That said a couple (Johnny, Gemma) did seems to have a bit of a game plan going on. The cult figure housemate that year was Sara-Marie.

The first three seasons (with Peter Abbott as producer - he also provided the main Big Brother voice) were the best. 2003 really started in on the big twists - the main one being it started as two separate houses that later merged. It also had a pretty interesting bunch of housemates.

I lost interest in 2004, 2005 (though there were some good housemates in 2004 - Fitzy, Bree, mainly.) Series 7 in 2007 featuring Emma, Demet, Andrew and Hayley got really bitchy. Intruder Zach and Aleisha were a contrast to the negativity that year.

By 2008 ratings were down and Gretel Killeen had been criticised for her forthright interviewing technique in later seasons. It was speculated that she was replaced for those reasons. Sadly in my opinion the new hosts - Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O - were pretty weak hosts. Kyle didn't really seem to follow the program or 'get' the function of the host (instead acting as an antagonist). Jackie O did seem to follow and love the show but lacked Gretel's tough line questioning (which I had liked). Anyway ratings dipped further so Channel Ten cancelled the series.

After a few years it returned on Nine. New host Sonya is pretty good though I still prefer Gretel. Nine's version seems scaled-down and lower budget/lower spectacle affair compared to the big seasons (2002-2007) on Ten when prizes and razzle dazzle seemed to increase each year.

More info about the seasons can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_brother_australia
  • Options
    freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the 2012 series so I just started watching that - despite knowing the top 3! I've got up to the episode after the first nominations although I know Charne is the victim :p I love Layla so far, she's definitely my fave along with Michael. Bradley is annoying me in the same way as Ben from the latest series - very needy. I'd rank the housemates:

01 Layla
    02 Michael
    03 Angie
    04 Sarah
    05 Benjamin
    06 Estelle
    07 Josh
    08 George
    09 Ryan
    10 Stacey
    11 Charne
    12 Ray
    13 Zoe
    14 Bradley

A lot of the boys have made little to no impression on me so far, but that the case for a long time with Matthew and Caleb, as well as Rohan in 2013. Ed was a bit bland for the most part too. I would've liked to see Charne settle in more, she was a bit irritating and weird but I think it was because she was uncomfortable - she was an interesting character.

Idk where else to put this, didn't think it needed a new thread and thought maybe this could bring up some discussion! No spoilers please, I just know the top 3 and that Charne was first out but I'm still gonna watch through it :p

Loved that series, and loved Estelle! It was all great aside from a bad winner!
  • Options
    masierosemasierose Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pinkminxy wrote: »
    That would be fantastic!! :D

I agree a fabulous HM,I loved Drew and Tahan as well. I loved the whole show tbh :cool:
  • Options
    QueenPixieQueenPixie Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Drully on? is Jaded on too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply. I loved BB01 (2001) the most as the housemates were totally unaware of how the program was being received. They weren't even sure if it was popular at all. Therefore their reactions were the most genuine. That said a couple (Johnny, Gemma) did seems to have a bit of a game plan going on. The cult figure housemate that year was Sara-Marie.

The first three seasons (with Peter Abbott as producer - he also provided the main Big Brother voice) were the best. 2003 really started in on the big twists - the main one being it started as two separate houses that later merged. It also had a pretty interesting bunch of housemates.

I lost interest in 2004, 2005 (though there were some good housemates in 2004 - Fitzy, Bree, mainly.) Series 7 in 2007 featuring Emma, Demet, Andrew and Hayley got really bitchy. Intruder Zach and Aleisha were a contrast to the negativity that year.

By 2008 ratings were down and Gretel Killeen had been criticised for her forthright interviewing technique in later seasons. It was speculated that she was replaced for those reasons. Sadly in my opinion the new hosts - Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O - were pretty weak hosts. Kyle didn't really seem to follow the program or 'get' the function of the host (instead acting as an antagonist). Jackie O did seem to follow and love the show but lacked Gretel's tough line questioning (which I had liked). Anyway ratings dipped further so Channel Ten cancelled the series.

After a few years it returned on Nine. New host Sonya is pretty good though I still prefer Gretel. Nine's version seems scaled-down and lower budget/lower spectacle affair compared to the big seasons (2002-2007) on Ten when prizes and razzle dazzle seemed to increase each year.

More info about the seasons can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_brother_australia

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this reply. Much appreciated, and I will watch the first three seasons. At present I am working my way through BBUS, and have watched seasons two through till season eight. Very different format, based essentially on the game playing aspect. It will be strange to once again watch BB where no discussion of nominations is allowed! Not sure which version I prefer - they both have their pros and cons I guess. It seems that in UK and Aus, any form of 'game playing' is frowned upon, when in fact that is exactly what any Housemate/house guest is doing, whether on their own or with an alliance in US.
    BB Canada starts on the 5th March - based on the US format, and I will be enjoying that as well.
    One of the very few pleasures of getting old is that we have time on our hands - and can afford to waste it!