Options

I Find New Year Sad & Depressing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, so its now the new year and as i type i can hear fireworks and people cheering (i can also hear police sirens and some rain!:p) and i can honestly say i don't see what the excitement can possibly be. I find it all very sad rather than a reason to celebrate. 2013 is gone forever and its another year of life gone forever, another year i can't ever get back. Ok so 2014 is a brand new year but before any of us has time to barely even blink we'll be listening to fireworks and cheering for 2015. Time goes way too fast, doesn't hang around for anyone.

Enjoy 2014 guys, here it is, this is it and soon it will also be gone forever.

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the old year as gone - time just continues as before. No need to be depressed about it.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I don't see the old year as gone - time just continues as before. No need to be depressed about it.

Yup... That's why I don't understand the big celebration over new year... It's not as though anything changes. It's just... the same. with a new number added to the end of the date.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% feel the same
    So far avoided the sobbing I normally do
    2013 was by far the worse year. Mum being very ill for most of it
    i'm trying to remain more positive this year see if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »

I said i find it depressing, but i am not actually depressed as such just over a new year. Just that it is not something i feel i want to cheer about :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I'm on my own and used to feel like you : sad and sentimental. Maybe it's my age, but I feel fine tonight, like it's any other night of the year.
  • Options
    WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same sh*t, different year.

I've been on my own all night. Although it would've been nice to spend it with someone special, maybe I will next year (that's what I said in 2012)

I also hate that song Auld Lang Syne. I'm on a right downer tonight :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I said i find it depressing, but i am not actually depressed as such just over a new year. Just that it is not something i feel i want to cheer about :p

Sorry, you said you found it sad and depressing. I misunderstood.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete post
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Just more reason to enjoy life, OP, as you won't get another one. I've found I get more enjoyment from the smaller things in life than I used to when I was younger and yet the small snags don't bother me so much. I'd say I'm a much happier person in my 40's than I ever was in my 20's or 30's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it depressing. Why would I want to celebrate another year of being alone, childless and have two less family members than this time last year?

God I hate billy bunts with fireworks.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Is 40 minutes of fireworks really necessary?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then one day you'll find ten years have got behind you. No one told when to run you missed the starting gun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is 40 minutes of fireworks really necessary?

Apparently so :).

Last year, some people were still firing them off at 3am.
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Just more reason to enjoy life, OP, as you won't get another one. I've found I get more enjoyment from the smaller things in life than I used to when I was younger and yet the small snags don't bother me so much. I'd say I'm a much happier person in my 40's than I ever was in my 20's or 30's.

The older I get the more my regrets pile up...I was never young so ageing is a living death to me. My life is one of failure; I hate mundanity and tedium and yet I have been trapped in it by the narcissistic behaviour of family.

Each year I hope will be my last on this Earth, because my social anxiety and depression have continuously got worse and worse for the past 25 years.

If Quantum theories are correct we never actually die anyway as consciousness is all that exists and thus infinite.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit wierd to think 1994 was a full 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    And then one day you'll find ten years have got behind you. No one told when to run you missed the starting gun.

haha, Pink Floyd! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've had a full and fruitful life since leaving school in the eighties. Lots to look back on and much more to look forward to.

Life is what you make it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I just remembered I am going to be 40 this year. FFS.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »
    The older I get the more my regrets pile up...I was never young so ageing is a living death to me. My life is one of failure; I hate mundanity and tedium and yet I have been trapped in it by the narcissistic behaviour of family.

Each year I hope will be my last on this Earth, because my social anxiety and depression have continuously got worse and worse for the past 25 years.

If Quantum theories are correct we never actually die anyway as consciousness is all that exists and thus infinite.

I was going to post about how new year makes me feel but I honestly don't think I can top this.

We have a winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't you leave your family? Sorry if that sounds crass, but you have to put your own life first.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a full and fruitful life since leaving school in the eighties. Lots to look back on and much more to look forward to.

Life is what you make it.

but a lot of the time outside forces make that impossible.
    Maybe easier if you have loads of money but when you rely on things like the NHS and the painfully slow processes that often creates 3 months go in a blink of an eye.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I'm finding sad and depressing is this thread!
  • Options
    WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    God, I just remembered I am going to be 40 this year. FFS.

FFS indeed. I'm one year behind you. FFS.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This summer I was talking with a few friends of a similar age to me (mid 40's) about regrets, and so on, at the leaving do for a colleague at the local pub to work. I said I wish I'd learned to play a musical instrument when I was younger, and I wasn't the only one. I suddenly realised that there was no reason I couldn't start now if I wanted to.

That evening I bought a guitar and started learning to play within the week. I still suck at it after six months, but it's one thing I now no longer have to regret not doing. It's also helped me with my perfectionism. :)

I've suffered from social anxiety as long as I can remember. It was so bad when I was younger that my earliest memories are of hiding away from any visitors to the family home, and I couldn't eat around non family members until I was in my early 20's.

Through throwing myself into uncomfortable social situations whenever I can (including that time I went to a naturist beach, but that's another story...), I'm slowly getting to the point where I can see a time where it won't limit me any longer, but it's been an enemy that I've been fighting for many decades, and it takes constant effort not to lapse back into behaviours and negative thinking that will erode my efforts. Like fighting the flab, but with more hiding.

DS actually helps with that as well. It helps maintain my newly thickened skin :D.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is another year without my son. In death we will be reunited, but all I can do just now is cross another day off the calendar...I miss my wee man.