Options

How much does it cost you to get to work?

Comments

• Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing, I walk. Takes 8 minutes.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Ok well based on a car that cost £15k that I generally change every 3 years - so £5k PA / 50= £100 per week.

+Car tax £400+Insurance £300 = £700 / 50= £14 per week + petrol £36per week, so £150 per week, which in turn coverts to about £7500 pa.

I only use the car for work.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    I cycle 10 miles, so basically free.

Add up your annual commute cost and then divide by your hourly pay. See how many days or weeks per year you are working for 'free'.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading this thread makes me realise how lucky I am to live in London and be able to walk to work. I have a good, well paid job and can walk to work in 15 minutes. I moan a lot, but really shouldn't. Can't believe that some have to pay £5,000! Even though it's taken out of your wages, that's still a hefty dent to your pay each month.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do a combination of walking and driving. I think I spend about £20 per month on petrol but that does include trips shopping and/or picking up my sisters from nights out. I am quite lucky that its a 10 minute drive/40 minute walk. I had travelling, even when on holiday I hate it
  • Options
    1ncognito1ncognito Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowt, I cycle.
  • Options
    Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Ok well based on a car that cost £15k that I generally change every 3 years - so £5k PA / 50= £100 per week.

At the end of the three years do you just drive the car off a cliff or something? As Presumably it should still be worth a reasonable amount.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    taxis sound cheap where you are, how far`s it? a less than three mile journey to the next but one village is £2.10 for a single, it was £8 last time i got a taxi. anyone who wants to make the 6 miles from there to town is charged £6.70 for a day ticket, what a bloody rip off.

It's just over a mile and a half.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £28 a week if I get the train to and from. I try to walk either in the morning or evening (weather and time permitting) so it can be less.

I'd say about £80 a month..
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    £41.50 a month on the buses. Of course I spend more time waiting for buses that don't show up than sitting on the bus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    About £40 a week in petrol. As my main office base relocated from 5 miles from my house to 14 miles away we get paid the extra miles each month for 2 years. Just need to remember to put the claims form in each month. So most of that cost I actually get refunded at the end of the month.

My wife commutes to London, I'm not sure how much her season ticket goes up by this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must have a very economical car!

I had a similar journey about five years ago and it was costing me at least £40 a week in petrol. Part of the reason why I changed jobs was to save money and I now live a 10 minute walk away from the office :):)
    bornfree wrote: »
    Very cheap indeed. :)

One of the few benefits of living in Saudi - petrol is approx 7p a litre. Cheaper than water :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    £60 a week in deisel. :0
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    One of the few benefits of living in Saudi - petrol is approx 7p a litre. Cheaper than water :)

Suddenly it all makes sense ;-)

I thought that even a smartcar wouldn't be that cheap to run.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A river in petrol a week
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    £0 and I would not pay £8k per year just to get to work. Sod that. A lifestyle changes would have to be in order really.
    Even if you are getting paid £30 an hour, you are still working 33 days, so about 1.5 months for absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know wages in London are higher than average but surley after you have to pay for transport, plus the astronomical price of housing even on the outskirts of the city, the benefit of the higher wages is just eaten away and then some. I always think only the Queen and that rich Russian bloke can actualy afford to live anywhere near the centre of the city, anyone else has to haemorrhage money to afford so much as a rabbit hutch, regular folk seem to have to live miles and miles away and pay a small fortune in train fares just to get to work.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm at uni, at my job(s) there - nothing, as it's a 5-10 minute walk.

When I'm at home, it s 2.1 miles and I drive it, so whatever that costs in petrol - barely anything. Only reason I don't walk it is it's an unlit country road with no pavement, and I work on a bar so get home very late at night, and it's not safe.

During summer I work a lot however since September, I've worked 3 days so far that I've been home and therefore had to drive to.
  • Options
    lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Funnily for me, it doesn't cost me a penny. :)
  • Options
    indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I just bought my ticket today. £280 for the month train and bus combined :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indyw wrote: »
    I just bought my ticket today. £280 for the month train and bus combined :(
    Yowch! :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I bought my season ticket that covers rail and bus last week and it was £1238. I get an interest free season ticket loan via my work so I make 11 payments over the year from my wages.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Nothing during the summer, because I walk or go on my bike but it costs about a fiver a week in diesel during the dark mornings. I start at 6 and would have to go along a pitch black pathway called The Black Path. It's scary!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anybody here ever used the PlusBus scheme?
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    £15.50 a week on the tram.
    Went up 50p this week.