Options

How much does it cost you to get to work?

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2604 for my season ticket and then about another £600 on my Oyster card
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £49 per month for my bus pass, this covers all travel. I get 1 bus to work and it's a 10-15 min walk. Sometimes I'll get a bus back as there's a stop right outside and sometimes I'll walk. If I got a daily ticket it'd be £3.40 per day. Once I've finished my probation I'm going to get an annual pass for just over £400 and pay it back at £35 per month, saving £14 a month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Just £10 a week..for the zone 1 bus weekly ticket, ( thanks to my works ID badge i show)..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about £80 a month.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walk to work, so nothing.
    It's a 10 minute walk down a road with hedgerow's either side, followed by a walk along the riverside. Lovely walk and it's free:)
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I have a company van and fuel card, so it costs me nowt.

It costs my boss about £80 a week though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I know wages in London are higher than average but surley after you have to pay for transport, plus the astronomical price of housing even on the outskirts of the city, the benefit of the higher wages is just eaten away and then some. I always think only the Queen and that rich Russian bloke can actualy afford to live anywhere near the centre of the city, anyone else has to haemorrhage money to afford so much as a rabbit hutch, regular folk seem to have to live miles and miles away and pay a small fortune in train fares just to get to work.

That can be true but my mortgage is £500 rather than unaffordable so would be £1,500 rent in SW London so I am saving overall - of course the compromise of a 1.5 hour commute is loss of time. One which I won't do forever...
  • Options
    indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    lotsobear wrote: »
    Has anybody here ever used the PlusBus scheme?

Yes, my husband gets an annual PlusBus because he can get it as part of the Season Ticket scheme through work and because it works out cheaper than buying direct from the bus company.
  • Options
    lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I have a company van and fuel card, so it costs me nowt.

It costs my boss about £80 a week though.
    No such thing as a free lunch. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live about 7 miles from work so the annual cost of petrol works out at about £700
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    £598 per year
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on when and where I'm working.

Husband is £38 per month, a daily ticket would be £4 so if he had to pay daily he would be £80.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £23 a week for a travel card, going to renew my travelcard today and find out how much it has gone up by a week.:(>:(
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    With the rail fare increases I suspect my season ticket will go up. I pay £750 a year for a bus, train and ferry ticket. I haven't had a pay rise in years either. I still consider myself lucky to those in London paying £5,000!
    Used to cost about £5 a day in petrol but now it costs £5 in petrol plus about £20 for parking and rail. Nigh-on £400 a month :(
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know wages in London are higher than average but surley after you have to pay for transport, plus the astronomical price of housing even on the outskirts of the city, the benefit of the higher wages is just eaten away and then some.
    True, but those who stayed in London pay less to commute and the price of their property rises more. It probably balances out - provided you can afford to buy at all. It is those that can't get a mortgage who have if hardest. Workers in London chose to pay either in commuting costs and time or more expensive properties which is a lifestyle choice.

Currently it is £1400 for a. Zone 1-3 travel card and the value if my flat has risen at double what I pay in mortgage for the last couple of years. It's easier to endure financial commitment like a mortgage when you are effectively paying it to yourself as savings each month and can cash in if you really needed to at any time. It is still hard but hardly hardship.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I live about 7 miles from work so the annual cost of petrol works out at about £700

7 miles...and you don't cylce?
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About £100 a month in petrol. Public transport would be almost £400! I get it back on expenses anyway :)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £47 for a monthly bus pass, which gives me unlimited travel for that month - not too bad considering how much other people have to pay to get to work, although I only earn just above minimum wage.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. Work from home so I just roll out of bed each morning, wander downstairs and bring the laptop out of hibernation then I start my daily work of monitoring Facebook, Twitter and emails for the animal rescue
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £20 if I car share, £40 otherwise.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £28 a week for a bus & train pass. Have to pay an extra £13.50 a week now cos I got a second job in December. It was £27 but they put it up a £1. The local return fare went up by 30p from £2.90 to £3.20. All the other bus passes went up by 50p & fares got 10p added on. It's getting ridiculous now.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    Nothing. I'm a ten minute walk away. Though i do jump in the car if it's raining heavily.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around £90 per week in diesel plus car costs, but I do love my gas guzzler:)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Ok well based on a car that cost £15k that I generally change every 3 years - so £5k PA / 50= £100 per week.

+Car tax £400+Insurance £300 = £700 / 50= £14 per week + petrol £36per week, so £150 per week, which in turn coverts to about £7500 pa.

I only use the car for work.
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    At the end of the three years do you just drive the car off a cliff or something? As Presumably it should still be worth a reasonable amount.

Fair point; of course there will be a residual value to deduct from the £15k cost of the car.

However, it's interesting that CRTHD is the only car-commuting poster who's attempted to calculate the full cost of using a car. Everyone else has mentioned only the fuel cost, which is just a small proportion of the total cost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    My bus fare, £4.20 for a day ticket.

Though I don't live in London.

Scratch that, apparently it has been reduced to £4.00. :)