Options

The Bridge 2 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I wondered that. There was a scene in The Killing 2 where (the mighty) Buch got drunk and then started ranting in English to some Far East ladies.

There's quite a lot of English spoken in Borgen - most notably the one involving a trip to Africa. I suspect it would be subtitled in the original.
    As for the eco-terrorists' signs - I would think they were in English as they had been led to believe it was a global movement - making a statement in Danish/Swedish won't get much publicity on the internet or global news.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,500
    Forum Member
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    did the book editor woman (sorry terrible with names) not mention to him that she was doing the gigolos autobiography as well so he probably wouldnt want his sisters name brought up.

Bodil mentioned to the brother over red wine that the other writer Claudio was in "the entertainment business" Why would he know that he had slept with his sister some years ago to the point that he then puts down the wine glass, goes straight out to find him, he knows not where, and happens on his unconscious body in the Park Square.
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Saga, what a legend!

End of episode 5 I was "oh no, this is the end!"
    Start of episode 6: "F*** yeah!"

She's the Swedish Jack Bauer.

Shame she got rid of the babysitter though, she was cute. For a moment I thought she fixed it - because she didn't like her because she was getting in the way of her work with Martin. Or maybe she did? She is ambigious like that.

Saga was on fire this episode. That penis coversation was hilarious.

"It'd be bigger erect, but it was definitely not big"

Then the one with the bf's mother, followed by masturbating in the morning, the look on her face... "Morning Mum!"
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Its not quite the same though. You can not have a serious conversation about something if you dont understand the language. Of course there is body language etc and tones of the words but thats nothing compared to actually understanding what people are saying.

No, you misunderstand. I understand them perfectly, and they do me. No misinterpretations, just real time on the fly "translations" in 2 completely distinct languages. We have no problem discussing "serious" topics - we are family after all!

As I said, I never knew how much of big deal it was until others found it odd that we could communicate this way. Perks of growing up in such an environment I guess.
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saga speaks Swedish in both countries, and Martin speaks Danish in both countries. Swedish and Danish are similar enough for people to be able to have a conversation without changing language, so I'm not surprised that they sound the same to you. It's called mutual intelligibility, there is a few languages in the world that are like that:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_intelligibility

The only comparison I can make with English would be the difference between England English and Scots English, now those are not considered as seperate languages, but the difference are pretty much like the difference between Swedish and Danish. A Londoner would not start speaking Scottish on a visit in Glasgow or vice versa. I'm a Swede living not far from the bridge (90 minutes or so) and I always speak Swedish when I'm in Denmark.

Thank you very much for that explanation !! Very interesting.
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain the three pronunciations of Saga's name?

There's the obvious one, Saga (Sah-ga in English).
    Then there's the Danish one, Säga (Seh-ga).
    But there's also a third, Såga (Saw-ga) - who says that?
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally think all Norwegians have a good understanding of the standard "Stockholm-swedish", also the people living in North and West. Norwegians may struggle more with strong Swedish accents like the Scanian but in general I don't think theres a big difference in levels of understanding between different regions in Norway. When it comes to Danish it gets a bit more tricky, Norwegians will generally understand most things if spoken slowly but if spoken quickly it's easy to 'lose track'. I know most Norwegians find subtitles necessary when watching Danish TV but not so necessary for Swedish.

That's interesting. One of the activists, the male one that blew up the car, he's a native Norweigan. I wondered if he played his character as a Norde or just as a Dane (either pretending to be native Dane or playing as a Norde speaking Danish with a Norde accent?..as I can't tell if he had a foreign accent, as in, foreign to native Danes. There seemed to be two Danes and two Swedes (speaking wise) in that activist group. But I then wondered, as the swedes and Danes are speaking to each other in their own languages, if he was actually playing a Norde (as I don't know what the Dane language sounds like so can't tell the difference like can with Swedish and Danish). Is Norwegian easily differentiable like Swedish and Danish or is it like Danish (as the character sounded like he was speaking more Danish).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's the obvious one, Saga (Sah-ga in English).
    Then there's the Danish one, Säga (Seh-ga).

The Swedes sort of pronounciation like Saga magazine and Danes sort of pronounced as Say-ga (or how you've written) must be like the same difference as say when a Brit says Michael differently to how Germans would pronounce it like Mee-kael and not My-col, and say the French would say Mee-chel. Must be because of how we (as different countries) pronounce letters individually in the alphabet and then say them together as a whole, which will differ depending on his we collate the individual sounds as one.

I noticed Beate is pronounced slightly differently by Laura to when her Dane colleague said it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Saw-ga one is pronounced by which character? Swede or Dane. Saga's boss says her name more like Saga (magazine) than Saw-ga. Maybe it's more a regional accent if by a Swede, or variation of the way one Dane would say it to another Dane from a different region, as maybe how a northern Brit might say something slightly differently to a southern/midland Brit (my Uni friends came from different quarters of the country and had their sometimes varying ways of saying things like a name).
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it too obvious that Caroline killed Claudio. If Alexander was away doing "business" with Caroline's sister, then only Caroline herself knew of the liaison and took the opportunity to frame her husband, of course not knowing he'd eventually provide an alibi that he was with Caroline's sister (whose name I forget).

That's why Alexander knew the second wine glass wasn't Caroline's sister because, as we now know, he'd been with her.

I'm not sure of the motive for killing Claudio though.
  • Options
    Sundance KidSundance Kid Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I just assumed that they had digitally altered the signs according to the expected audience (apparently easy to do according to my video guru friend eg you can take ads from a video of Picadilly circus and overlay them).

Scandinavians are generally bilingual and wouldn't have any problem understanding the signs. If someone wanted to reach a bigger audience it is not unrealistic that they would use English rather than Swedish/Danish
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    Is it too obvious that Caroline killed Claudio. If Alexander was away doing "business" with Caroline's sister, then only Caroline herself knew of the liaison and took the opportunity to frame her husband, of course not knowing he'd eventually provide an alibi that he was with Caroline's sister (whose name I forget).

That's why Alexander knew the second wine glass wasn't Caroline's sister because, as we now know, he'd been with her.

I'm not sure of the motive for killing Claudio though.

Didn't Alexander admit to arranging the meeting with Claudio in the park anyway, but say he left him alive? So if Alexander did set the meeting up, how did Caroline know about it? And she would have seen him leaving so wouldn't it be likely he would have some alibi or other?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Didn't Alexander admit to arranging the meeting with Claudio in the park anyway, but say he left him alive? So if Alexander did set the meeting up, how did Caroline know about it? And she would have seen him leaving so wouldn't it be likely he would have some alibi or other?
    BIB. Bodil told her, because Claudio had texted her to say he was meeting Caroline...

K
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    BIB. Bodil told her, because Claudio had texted her to say he was meeting Caroline...

K

I'm not 100% sure but I think she told her afterwards, so Claudio would have been dead by that time. She then found her phone and got her PA to download the deleted texts which showed that her husband had arranged the meeting.

There were also IIRC texts on Claudio's phone from someone else who wanted to meet him the same evening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    That's interesting. One of the activists, the male one that blew up the car, he's a native Norweigan. I wondered if he played his character as a Norde or just as a Dane (either pretending to be native Dane or playing as a Norde speaking Danish with a Norde accent?..as I can't tell if he had a foreign accent, as in, foreign to native Danes. There seemed to be two Danes and two Swedes (speaking wise) in that activist group. But I then wondered, as the swedes and Danes are speaking to each other in their own languages, if he was actually playing a Norde (as I don't know what the Dane language sounds like so can't tell the difference like can with Swedish and Danish). Is Norwegian easily differentiable like Swedish and Danish or is it like Danish (as the character sounded like he was speaking more Danish).
    The actor is Norwegian, but his character is Danish and speaks Danish, he learnt to speak Danish for this series. They would also understand him if he spoke Norwegian,but he had to speak Danish since the character is Danish.

Norwegian (at least the mainstream Eastern Norwegian accents) sounds more like Swedish, not Danish.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    There's quite a lot of English spoken in Borgen - most notably the one involving a trip to Africa. I suspect it would be subtitled in the original.
    As for the eco-terrorists' signs - I would think they were in English as they had been led to believe it was a global movement - making a statement in Danish/Swedish won't get much publicity on the internet or global news.

I lived in Stockholm for a year, and worked for a Danish company for three years, with frequent trips to Copenhagen. I've never met anyone in either country that didn't speak English fluently. They often show movies without subtitles, the exception being children's films, but even the kids speak good English in my experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

Yes, of course. I'd forgotten that. Oh well, back to the drawing board then.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's the Swedish Jack Bauer.
    I must have missed the torture scenes :o
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I also noticed that some of the signs had small grammatical errors (e.g "How many dies here") to suggest that they hadn't been written by a native speaker.
    Would never have achieved their aim. DS FMs would have jumped on such poor English and written them off as a group :D
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember any TV programmes in English having Danish subtitles when I was there though I don't watch much TV.
  • Options
    Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 5,064
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the for a case this size there's Martin & Saga on the road, 3 recs in the office and the 2 respective bosses involved.
    Whenever there's a UK police procedural there seem to be dozens of folk working on the ccc case - at least when they do the briefings
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    The Saw-ga one is pronounced by which character? Swede or Dane. Saga's boss says her name more like Saga (magazine) than Saw-ga. Maybe it's more a regional accent if by a Swede, or variation of the way one Dane would say it to another Dane from a different region, as maybe how a northern Brit might say something slightly differently to a southern/midland Brit (my Uni friends came from different quarters of the country and had their sometimes varying ways of saying things like a name).
    I can't remember who it is, but I'm pretty sure they are Swedish. A regional accent is exactly what I thought. I was hoping Magnus might be able to tell us which is which.
  • Options
    Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 5,064
    Forum Member
    As an aside did you hear Saga say to Martin "can we go" in English when they were by the bridge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Red Wimp wrote: »
    As an aside did you hear Saga say to Martin "can we go" in English when they were by the bridge
    He probably said "kan vi gå" which is kind of pronounced like "can we go" in Danish. The letter å is more like an o than an a, by the way.