Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they could do American arenas for a while yet. I can see them doing multiple nights at a theater venue in major metro areas.

If they had that much drawing power the Eastern stops on the NLT would be sold out already.

I agree, what's pretty annoying is the dozens of comments on twitter and forums about how Demi can now sell out arena tours. She actually can't! I would bet my last dollar (in your case CV) that quite a few people there are mainly there for Little Mix/Fifth Harmony/Cher Lloyd. I mean, her tour just last year was in small theatres and her new album has sold 300k in the US which I don't think warrants a full scale arena tour like she's doing now.

On another note, #EuropeWantsSaluteTour is trending WW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K64LlYZI-g

I must be naive because I didn't know people were rushed through like that. You may as well save yourself the agro and buy a signed copy online. Bit off imo for them to be talking amongst themselves as the fans file past at certain points (1.15).
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they should mime then.

You want better choreo/moving. That's not gonna be possible while singing consistently. They all have parts to sing.

They aren't PCD, where Nicole would sing everything and the other girls could bust out dancing (they had no solos).

I personally love the head banging. It's quirky and weird, which is what the girls are.

"The Promise" type of song would not suit LM. It's too bland . They should not do something like that.

Girls Aloud had a euro-friendly vibe. That's probably why they never did too well in North America.

100% agree with sniffingchocake on this...

Surely head banging and jumping are more detrimental to decent vocals than actual decent chereo

(I dont mind the headbanging on word up befo....)

They jump around a lot in their moves which will be hard to sing live whilst doing, so I don't think their current routine is the way it is because of them wanting to sing live. Actually, the moves I dislike most in the routine (the jumping to the side, the knee rising steps and the head banging) are the most difficult to sing live whilst doing.

BUT like I said previously, this is just my opinion and dance is so subjective so I understand and respect people will like the routine, but for me, I don't - that's all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Salute tour vids Jesy looks like she is miming throughout. Backing vocals? I know they tend to use backing vocals for the chorus' on the majority of their performances but Salute seems to also have it on the verses.
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    I think you have to consider the fact they are not the headline act, they are just openers and are performing in front of a curtain so they are restricted as to what can be done. On X Factor they had the whole stage to play with which clearly opens a lot more options - certainly in terms of how to enter the stage.

Not sure I am sold on them entering the stage via a sideways bounce though. :blush: I think i'd fall off my chair laughing.

We all have our vision of the perfect performance and no two are the same. Each to their own. This "sideways bounce" thing has no place in my vision.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must be naive because I didn't know people were rushed through like that. You may as well save yourself the agro and buy a signed copy online. Bit off imo for them to be talking amongst themselves as the fans file past at certain points (1.15).

Its a signing where they had to get thru 900 in a few hours. They couldn't possibly have lingered. I hear with pricey Meet n Greets for the big stars you get a photo and 30 seconds so is that worth hundreds of dollars?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, what's pretty annoying is the dozens of comments on twitter and forums about how Demi can now sell out arena tours. She actually can't! I would bet my last dollar (in your case CV) that quite a few people there are mainly there for Little Mix/Fifth Harmony/Cher Lloyd. I mean, her tour just last year was in small theatres and her new album has sold 300k in the US which I don't think warrants a full scale arena tour like she's doing now.

Leigh Anne must be at it again
  • Options
    sniffingchocakesniffingchocake Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Watching the Salute tour vids Jesy looks like she is miming throughout. Backing vocals? I know they tend to use backing vocals for the chorus' on the majority of their performances but Salute seems to also have it on the verses.
    Jesy holds her Mic up to her face alot even when she is not singing (shes done it since Xfactor) could it be that you are confusing with miming?, maybe she is miming?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed too that she's using Nick Jonas as her musical director and duet artist. Before 1D the Jonas Bros. were the biggest boyband in the US.
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's life you can't get them all and it didn't even look like a conversation clearly LA was looking for something.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The war has begun" "Ladies across the world listen up"..."we don't need no man" followed by mass surrender. Comical.

Why are 1D a mass surrender?
    What are women surrendering if they like a 1D song? Are women/girls only allowed now to love songs that make them feel like they have the power? God forbid they enjoy something else as well... But LM have also gone the soppy love song road IMO.
    Or is it that LM are surrendering headlining position?

I think you guys are overthinking this. you all seem to think that the messages behind LM's songs are much more powerful than they seem to be to me, especially in Salute's case: Girls let's get together to fight because we are women! Against what? For what? It doesn't seem to matter in a way, it's more about sounding like you are empowering women rather than truly empowering them. It's not their deepest woman empowerment anthem IMO.
    But I think it's single material because it "sounds" powerful (which is the aim), it's got a good hook.
    It's pop music, LM is not changing the world, and nobody expects them to...

I think both groups' main targets are tweens/teens/young adults & women, so that's something they potencially have in common.

I disagree about the reason why they could not be a good fit. When you go to a concert, you're not attending a theme conference, not all the acts have to have the same main theme in their songs (that would actually be very restrictive -and not all the LM songs are women empowering, while 1D's songs are mainly about love or seizing the moment, but likewise not all of them).

However, to me, they are not really heading in the same musical direction as an endgame: LM are going towards the R'N'B route while 1D have been mainly pop-rock and now have some folky songs. That could be a reason why they wouldn't work perfectly together rather than the message in their songs.

But if people are like me, they might enjoy the change in pace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a signing where they had to get thru 900 in a few hours. They couldn't possibly have lingered. I hear with pricey Meet n Greets for the big stars you get a photo and 30 seconds so is that worth hundreds of dollars?

Amazing what people will do to get close to their famous celebrity.

Also just found this : http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/little-mix-america-x-factor-3150132

One word: hype. Beatle-mania apparently for LM are the Neon Lights tour. The tabloid press setting them up for an almighty kicking at the first sign of anything going wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesy holds her Mic up to her face alot even when she is not singing (shes done it since Xfactor) could it be that you are confusing with miming?, maybe she is miming?

Hmmm, also Leigh-anne's verse is sung perfectly when she tends to struggle with choreography and singing at times. So just wondered. Maybe their mics are on but they have the vocals on the track still, understandable since their doing a full routine. The 'attention!' bit seems like their live voices though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I dont think they could do American arenas for a while yet. I can see them doing multiple nights at a theater venue in major metro areas.

If they had that much drawing power the Eastern stops on the NLT would be sold out already.
    Agreed on the current support level. 120k albums sold of DNA (+20% streaming, so say another 25k) nationally, and a single that hit what, #79, isn't a big enough support base. So far Salute is pretty much on the same track as far as album sales.

By comparison Demi seems to be a solid arena act in big markets, but a bit more marginal in smaller ones. She has 3 500k+ albums, with the newest doing 350k so far (+20% streaming bringing that within range of 500k). She's put 3 singles into the top 10 (barely), and another 5 into the top 50.

If Move or anything else off of Salute breaks out on radio, and/or if the album sells through to the 200k+ level after opening for Demi and possibly 1D, then maybe you could start looking at large theaters, with small arenas in the biggest markets. A double bill with someone like Cher, who did a bit over 200k and has a big hit but doesn't inspire the same amount of passion, is also worth considering.

That said, while I'd love to see a theater show, the label has done theater tours for acts like E3 and Cher, and I don't see it doing much for them. It might stabilize the base but generates zero buzz. I think opening for good demo fits that can fill arenas is a much better option if the goal is speedy growth rather than cashing in, but arena headliners that are the right fit don't grow on trees.

Also, for what it's worth just from looking at t-shirts at the show I attended I'd guess that roughly 5%, at most 10% of the Demi crowd is there for LM on this tour, and just a few percent for 5H. Some of the Demi-first fans might pay for a cheap LM theater show, though.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Change Your Life backing track used on BAFTAS tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No choice really unless only 20 people show up. Seeing their idols up close and personal is the big deal for the kids. I'm sure they're too young and excited to care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing what people will do to get close to their famous celebrity.

Jesy will sign your boobs.
    http://zlasses.tumblr.com/post/76760219108/so-we-asked-jade-to-come-out-with-us-for
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I think you have to consider the fact they are not the headline act, they are just openers and are performing in front of a curtain so they are restricted as to what can be done. On X Factor they had the whole stage to play with which clearly opens a lot more options - certainly in terms of how to enter the stage.

Not sure I am sold on them entering the stage via a sideways bounce though. :blush: I think i'd fall off my chair laughing.

Maybe you misunderstand what I refer to see at 3.30 on the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk4CtOMcHQk&app=desktop

They should enter doing that move 2 from each side with the backing dancers to the salute tune in effect explode on stage
    to take up their positions.

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOD_IT wrote: »

They should enter doing that move 2 from each side with the backing dancers to the salute tune in effect explode on stage

;-)

I'm not sure that would fit in with the quieter beginning to the actual song. Its too energetic.

However I can see the lights coming up on them in hero positions.
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOD_IT wrote: »

;-)

I think we all understood, can't see it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this clip posted? It shows the video intro before they come onstage for Salute.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGX0a8tbNGU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK chart

58 48 15 Little Mix Move
    60 41 14 Little Mix Little Me

48 43 14 Little Mix Salute

Chart runs

Move
    03-05-08-12-13-17-19-14-21-29-32-36-44-48-58

Wings
    {1}-4-4-7-11-14-17-21-26-31-41-39-34-44-55-71-71-36-53
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never thought concerns of lip syncing would be brought up here. That Jesy is doing a Milli vanilli is a bit of a leap. :o:D
    They certainly do use recorded backing vocals for most of the set and throughout some of the bigger production songs. But not to hide behind. There's nowhere to hide singing live acapella pieces like HYD. It worries me not. Their unaided live capabilities are all over you tube. The overall energy of the show is just better with this approach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little me AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D98XX-jTS1A

No Milli Vanilli evidence here:)

The audio is compressed to death on all the tour uploads. Wish I could hear it live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also just found this : http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/little-mix-america-x-factor-3150132

One word: hype. Beatle-mania apparently for LM are the Neon Lights tour. The tabloid press setting them up for an almighty kicking at the first sign of anything going wrong.

The funny thing is, they may not. Because they would lose face themselves by bigging them up earlier. For instance all those media outlets that announced the #1 on iTunes thing never went back and said "Oh just for 2 hours". Backtracking would make them look stupid.
This discussion has been closed.